Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I had poutine on the side with my eggs benny at a brunch place, but I don't remember the name of the place. It was actually pretty good. Fries were perfect, gravy was a bit heavy, and the cheese was shredded mozzarella or something. But 10/10 for poutine in Asia. It was somewhere near Wenzhou park and the pita place Sababa, in that area. It had a big shelf of books for sale inside. But I don't think you can get just a bowl of poutine. I'll ask my friend if she remembers the name of the place and let you know.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it on the menu at Ireland's Potato. I can't vouch for it since I never ate there. There's one in Danshui/Tamsui, one in Xinyi that I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ireland's proverb says there are three things in the world that can't be joked: 1. marriage 2. potato 3. using hideously past-date sauces

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Yeah please don't take that as an endorsement for Ireland's Potato. It's there but if a Canadian who hadn't had poutine in 6 months wouldn't stop to eat there, you should also give it a pass.

The Taiwanese have a mashed/baked potato thing with cheese sauce you can find in a few places, and it fills the same need for potatoes plus grease and cheese. If you can read Chinese, you may even find poutine on the menu at a bigger place.

(Critical mass of Canadians achieved; thread is now poutinechat for the next 24 hours.)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Ireland's proverb says there are three things in the world that can't be joked: 1. marriage 2. potato 3. using hideously past-date sauces
Ireland's Potato needs to die a loving horrible death for bullshitting their meat sauce. The photo shows a very nice animal-style fries setup, whereas the actual sauce has maybe5 flecks of ground meat in it. My rage knows no bounds.

I fully endorse Forkers' poutine.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Horatius Bonar posted:

I had poutine on the side with my eggs benny at a brunch place, but I don't remember the name of the place. It was actually pretty good. Fries were perfect, gravy was a bit heavy, and the cheese was shredded mozzarella or something. But 10/10 for poutine in Asia. It was somewhere near Wenzhou park and the pita place Sababa, in that area. It had a big shelf of books for sale inside. But I don't think you can get just a bowl of poutine. I'll ask my friend if she remembers the name of the place and let you know.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it on the menu at Ireland's Potato. I can't vouch for it since I never ate there. There's one in Danshui/Tamsui, one in Xinyi that I remember.
The area and books sound like Bongo's but they've moved/closed. Poutine isn't really my thing, theirs seemed decent, maybe a bit heavy? Worth finding, especially if you need some grease.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Finally got around to visiting a Taiwanese dentist and holy poo poo ultra sonic cleaning is the worst thing ever.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Finally got around to visiting a Taiwanese dentist and holy poo poo ultra sonic cleaning is the worst thing ever.

You could try to get your teeth cleaned and they say they can't because of your canker sores. Then start poking at said sores with the sharp dentist stick thing with the small mirror on the other end. Then they try to get you to hold a mirror for them and you can't tell them that you don't know what the gently caress you are looking at because they made you take off your glasses and you got a bunch of poo poo in your mouth.

I will say, whatever they did had got them to stop hurting. At only 50 NT too!

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

gloom posted:

The area and books sound like Bongo's but they've moved/closed. Poutine isn't really my thing, theirs seemed decent, maybe a bit heavy? Worth finding, especially if you need some grease.

It's called Coda, by Taipower building station. The place is actually really close to where Bongo's is now. Between poutine and smoked salmon eggs benedict, it satisfied me on everything I was missing from home. Not that you need more fried poo poo with grease in Taiwan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

You could try to get your teeth cleaned and they say they can't because of your canker sores. Then start poking at said sores with the sharp dentist stick thing with the small mirror on the other end. Then they try to get you to hold a mirror for them and you can't tell them that you don't know what the gently caress you are looking at because they made you take off your glasses and you got a bunch of poo poo in your mouth.

I will say, whatever they did had got them to stop hurting. At only 50 NT too!

All I know is that he gave me the choice of going straight through or breaking it into short sessions. As soon as he touched the first tooth, I knew if he stopped there’d be no eay in hell I’d let him start again.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So I was dumb and overstayed on my ARC because I was busy getting settled into my new place. I'm currently booking a flight out and back, but I'm freaking out a little. I know I'm going to have to pay a fine and I'm ok with that, but from googling around I'm reading that there's a chance they might not let me back into the country? Currently I'm just planning on flying out and back the same day this week. Anyone have any advice?

Fake Edit: ARC expired on July 31.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

So I was dumb and overstayed on my ARC because I was busy getting settled into my new place. I'm currently booking a flight out and back, but I'm freaking out a little. I know I'm going to have to pay a fine and I'm ok with that, but from googling around I'm reading that there's a chance they might not let me back into the country? Currently I'm just planning on flying out and back the same day this week. Anyone have any advice?

Fake Edit: ARC expired on July 31.
You have an employer or program to attach a visa to? I overstayed accidentally between renewing my work contract, and basically I had to leave and come back, so I made it a trip and got my resident visa again when I was out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I don't have a job lined up yet, no.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I overstayed by like a month and a half a while back and just went for the day to Macau. Had to pay a fine on the way out, but that was it. If you don't have a job lined up you'll probably have to come back on a visitor visa, but you almost certainly won't get blacklisted. Unless you've got some dark secret you're keeping from us. Did you kill a guy?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I overstayed by like a month and a half a while back and just went for the day to Macau. Had to pay a fine on the way out, but that was it. If you don't have a job lined up you'll probably have to come back on a visitor visa, but you almost certainly won't get blacklisted. Unless you've got some dark secret you're keeping from us. Did you kill a guy?

I've been flushing toilet paper down the toilet, not throwing it into a waste basket. Think that'll be enough for them to ban me?

But thanks for the info, that's a load off my mind. I really need to stop reading Forumosa google results; nobody over there apparently knows anything.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I've been flushing toilet paper down the toilet, not throwing it into a waste basket. Think that'll be enough for them to ban me?

But thanks for the info, that's a load off my mind. I really need to stop reading Forumosa google results; nobody over there apparently knows anything.

Wasn't enough for them to ban me, so... (Fight the power!)

Also Forumosa is simultaneously a great place to get info and the worst place to get info. You just need to know who's worth listening to. At least, that's how it was years back when I was a regular there. There was about a 50-50 split of awesome people and total shitlords.

E: I should clarify that I had a job and all the paperwork that time, but even after overstaying that long no one gave me any kind of poo poo.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 10, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Are you supposed to poop on the toilet paper then just throw the poopy toilet paper into a basket with other poop paper? gently caress that noise.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

Are you supposed to poop on the toilet paper then just throw the poopy toilet paper into a basket with other poop paper? gently caress that noise.

Poop directly into the wastebasket. It's the least work for the old building's pipes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Generally, you can throw it in the toilet fine and the city encourages it, but it's more whether the place you're at is ok with it or not(depending on their pipes and how old fashioned they are).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Generally, you can throw it in the toilet fine and the city encourages it
Really? The only city authority I've heard was Tainan's mayor a few years ago.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
If you overstay, you pay a fine BUT you cannot return without a visitor visa. You cannot get a landing visa.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Eat some fry-up with a handful of Taiwan beers and then try to use a squat toilet, then you can just poo poo all over the floor and call it a job well done.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thegoat posted:

If you overstay, you pay a fine BUT you cannot return without a visitor visa. You cannot get a landing visa.

Is this something you know for a fact?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Moon Slayer posted:

It's exactly what happened to me last year and I had overstayed only a few days. Expect it to happen to you too.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

Eat some fry-up with a handful of Taiwan beers and then try to use a squat toilet, then you can just poo poo all over the floor and call it a job well done.

Well done checklist for that scenario:
1. Didn't poo poo in your pants.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

Well done checklist for that scenario:
1. Didn't poo poo in your pants.

There's bound to be some splashback.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Speaking of poo poo, I used a squat toilet yesterday that had grab bars available on both sides, like god was partially answering my prayers.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes. I've overstayed three times and each time they put a huge stamp in your passport that says you are required to have a visitor visa

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some Chinglish nonsense like "Manual Wheat Beer". I should probably learn the Chinese names one of these days.

I couldn't find it based on that. The Chinese name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it either. Can you find it on Google maps with street view? I'll owe you a pint of algae beer.

EDIT: My girlfriend found it, so she gets the funny-tasting green beer. HERE is the place. In any case I'm down for beer and 熱炒 pretty much any night all month.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 11, 2013

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I can confirm this is true. You get a huge stamp that says VISA REQUIRED until one year from the day you leave. You then need to apply for a visa abroad and can come back with it. It eats up a lot of space in your passport, and I paid $2000 NT for overstaying two days, so try to avoid this.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I guess as it's relevant to the thread now, you can get a same day express visitor visa in HK last I remember.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

duckfarts posted:

I guess as it's relevant to the thread now, you can get a same day express visitor visa in HK last I remember.

That's what it says on the TECO Hong Kong website. Well, time to start planning my trip.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 15, 2013

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Plan to arrive as early as you can, be polite and you shouldn't have any problems. I've never been denied a visa even with 3 overstays. You will also likely have to write a letter explaining why you overstayed.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

That's what it says on the TECO Hong Kong website. Shell, time to start planning my trip.

You ought to write up the steps you take in getting that visa after you come back. It would make a good addition the OP. I didn't have to do this myself since I still had a valid visitor visa when this happened to me, but I'm sure others will find themselves in your position sooner or later.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The process from what I can remember a long time ago(did same day processing twice):

• Be familiar with the visa form before you go if possible, or better yet, print one out and fill it out beforehand (pretty sure it's online)
  • Go to that TECO office in the Lipping building or whatever :siren:BEFORE THEY OPEN.:siren: Generally there will be a few other early people already waiting too, and you really need to make sure you're in the first few people so you don't have to be behind dumb people with weird problems that take forever, and that you do in fact file your poo poo in the morning because you can't do express processing otherwise.
  • Make sure you have whatever the processing fee is ready, I think you'll need cash rather than card. It'd be safer to do it that way anyway.
  • Go gently caress off somewhere and treat yourself to a nice breakfalunch.
  • Come back for their afternoon hours to pick up your passport with new visa. I don't remember if you have to pull a number and wait again. Being early would be nice so you don't have to waste too much time on it, but just make sure you're not waiting until the latter half of their operating hours to pick up your poo poo.
Oh yeah, make sure they're open the day you want to go. The first time I went, I went one day earlier for safety and it ended up being HK's reunification holiday or whatever that is and it sucked hard because everything was closed and it was the hottest day of the loving year to boot. Whoops.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

duckfarts posted:

The process from what I can remember a long time ago(did same day processing twice):

• Be familiar with the visa form before you go if possible, or better yet, print one out and fill it out beforehand (pretty sure it's online)
  • Go to that TECO office in the Lipping building or whatever :siren:BEFORE THEY OPEN.:siren: Generally there will be a few other early people already waiting too, and you really need to make sure you're in the first few people so you don't have to be behind dumb people with weird problems that take forever, and that you do in fact file your poo poo in the morning because you can't do express processing otherwise.
  • Make sure you have whatever the processing fee is ready, I think you'll need cash rather than card. It'd be safer to do it that way anyway.
  • Go gently caress off somewhere and treat yourself to a nice breakfalunch.
  • Come back for their afternoon hours to pick up your passport with new visa. I don't remember if you have to pull a number and wait again. Being early would be nice so you don't have to waste too much time on it, but just make sure you're not waiting until the latter half of their operating hours to pick up your poo poo.
Oh yeah, make sure they're open the day you want to go. The first time I went, I went one day earlier for safety and it ended up being HK's reunification holiday or whatever that is and it sucked hard because everything was closed and it was the hottest day of the loving year to boot. Whoops.

This is all sage advice. Because you've also overstayed your visa, you will have to go through the same process I did, with extra steps. First, in Taiwan, you will have to pay the fine at the airport. You cannot do this at the immigration departures checkpoint. If you try like I did they will pull you aside and make everyone else in line think you're on the list of Interpol's most wanted drug-trafficker pedophiles. Instead, after checking in, you should go to the Immigration office by the front doors, which is a glass cubbyhole office with two ladies who hate life, and you. Pay for your fine there. You will get a receipt. Keep this.

I'm assuming you're going to HK, because it makes sense. So there, fill out the online form, click the box for overstaying/working illegally in Taiwan (yes it's the same box for some reason.) and go with all the paperwork you need for the visa you're applying for. Arrive before it opens, because if you arrive at 9:40 after spending 40 minutes getting visa photos on the day after HKSAR day, you're hosed. Incidentally, there is a little self service photo booth to get photos done on the 4th floor, by the other Economic and Cultural office. BTW, you don't go to that office, but the photo booth is good. The photos I remember are 50 HKD, but don't quote me on that, and it may change. You need the right bills or else. Go with a supply of smaller bills if you use this option. The 40th floor office also has a pay photo copier, I'm pretty sure they like to have a photocopy of the relevant pages of your passport.

Since you overstayed, you will also need to give the HK office the receipt that you will get for paying the fine at the Taipei airport. This information is not listed anywhere I saw online, but they asked me for it. Luckily I'm a slob and was wearing the same pants as when I left Taipei and found the receipt in a pocket with all my 7-11 receipts.

You will also need to write a short little "I'm so sorry" letter explaining why you overstayed.

Remember you are dealing with the ultimate avatars of bureaucracy, so bring all the paperwork you need. There will be no mercy, no sympathy, and no quarter given. But be polite and give them everything they need, and you'll be just fine.

Edit: For the record, I'm Canadian and I came in on a 90 landing visa, overstayed 2 days, and paid a $2000 NT fine. I got a 60 day visitor visa to return to Taiwan.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 12, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Horatius Bonar posted:

a little self service photo booth to get photos done on the 4th floor, by the other Economic and Cultural office
Oh yeah, this is a big one too, I totally forgot:
  • :siren:Have some passport-style photos ready beforehand.:siren: Just go to one of those 150NT booths around in a bunch of places. They should have a "passport" option/preset that's the size you need, take off your glasses if you have them when you take the photo, and follow the instructions for where your chin and top of your head should go. If you don't trust yourself to using a machine, there should be a photo taking place next door to any DMV/testing facility. Getting photos before going will make things a lot smoother than trying to search for a booth in HK. On the other hand, you may not be able to use old passport photos you took some time ago because they can call you on your poo poo for photos not being recent.

e: whoa, check this sexy online application form out; I think you fill in the form and then you can print off a filled out application easy peasy

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 11, 2013

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alright, thanks for all the info, guys. I totally owe this thread a beer or three. I started googling around the other day and was finding stuff like "if you stay even one day over they can ban you for a year!" over at Forumosa. This eases my mind a lot.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Another tip, YOU CAN ONLY FILL OUT THE FORM ONLINE. They dont accept forms that haven't been done online.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you have to stop by hk for a detour give me a pm or drop a message in the China travel thread. We hk folks will throw a welcome party and all! It can either be a short imax movie at the airport or hangout in the city.

Man I can't believe the advanced Taiwan toilets are as harmonious as China. I thought bidets would be popular being so heavily influenced by Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The houses I've been in have bidets. Public places tend to have normal and squat.