Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Life sucks for anyone inside the CZ but since Bug City was nearly 20 years ago I think most people there probably chose to be by this point.

Well, if you lived in a squat for fifteen years in Chicago (say, because you were trapped behind the wall, and then later couldn't move out because you had no money after selling everything you owned for food and bullets) that building legally became yours, so a lot of survivors became landowners after spending a decade and a half holding their turf against insects, psychos, blackberry cats, arsonists, and gangsters. And if you've spent fifteen years holding your ground and now you own a (rundown) ten story apartment building, I would imagine you'd feel like you'd put down roots.

I believe the core plotline of the Shadowrun Missions adventures is the fact the government has walked that decision back, saying that corporations can have any of that land back that they want, because gently caress you dystopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

MohawkSatan posted:

So nothing about the more sensible matrix, slightly faster combat, reduction of combat spells from monstrous power, ease of character creation, making it more difficult to minmax the poo poo out of characters, etc, sounds good to you, or like an improvement?

Combat was fine in 4E in my opinion, guess I'd have to actually play out a combat sequence in 5 to see if it works better. Reduction of spell power is good, character creation is not easier because the priority system is so restrictive. That's obviously a matter of opinion, some people find it easier to just follow the template. For me, I want absolute freedom to build my character the way I want without any artificial restrictions. I don't like minmaxing but if your players want to minmax then they probably suck anyway.

Matrix I dunno, I haven't really read all the posts about that so I probably should.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of the changes seem negative to me. Nevertheless, being gay for Shadowrun, I will most definitely buy the 5th edition core book at some point anyway. Maybe I'll be convinced eventually.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Davin Valkri posted:

Just take the fluff and play it in FATE. Or Apocalypse World. Hell, you could largely play it mechanically as-is in *World, you'd just need to refluff the odd bit (like maybe having TWO psychic maelstroms: the Matrix and the Mana world).

A couple guys actually did this recently. Though they used Dungeon World as the base, not Apocalypse (though I believe certain apoc bits were included). As a bonus it seems to be able to do 2050s/wired as easily as 2070s/wireless.

Sixth World
Some Errata
The pair's RPG.net thread. The version linked in the OP is out of date though.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Serious talk, is 5e playable? I'm in the mood to run SR again since it was the first system I cut my DMing teeth on and I like the sound of the changes (in particular the character gen). I feel like running something in St. Petersburg, where the runners are on retainer by the Red Vory and spend their days loving with Maersk and S-K, helping out the Vikings with grunt work and trying not to get shivved by gopniks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It definitely is. I've only gone through the book a couple times, but it's no worse than 4E (though that isn't necessarily saying much, depending on how complex you think that is).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Martello posted:

Combat was fine in 4E in my opinion, guess I'd have to actually play out a combat sequence in 5 to see if it works better. Reduction of spell power is good, character creation is not easier because the priority system is so restrictive. That's obviously a matter of opinion, some people find it easier to just follow the template. For me, I want absolute freedom to build my character the way I want without any artificial restrictions. I don't like minmaxing but if your players want to minmax then they probably suck anyway.

Realtalk: Did you always build a character with 200 BP in attributes, and every non-awakened character with 50 BP in resources? The remaining 150 BP spread between edge, skills, and advantages?

That's following a template, but the same one every time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can someone explain to me how focused Magi work, the ones that only pick one school.

By only getting one school they get:
A slightly Higher Magic stat
A skill group in the school they took

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 10, 2013

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Stormgale posted:

Can someone explain to me how focused Magi work, the ones that only pick one school.

By only getting one school they get:
A slightly Higher Magic stat
A skill group in the school they took

Aspected magicians, in this version, can be had lower in the priority table (you can have Magic D and start with a magic of 2, for example), so you can be a finger-wiggling spellcaster/summoner/bottle-maker on the cheap. Then, it's basically all about accepting that you're a poo poo caster and looking at page 69 for everything you can do.

quote:

Aspected magicians are a limited form of magician.
• Aspected magicians do not astrally project.
• Aspected magicians can astrally perceive.
• Aspected magicians must choose one, and only one, of the
following three Skills/Skill Groups.
• Sorcery (Spellcasting and related skills)
• Conjuring (Summoning and related skills)
• Enchanting (Alchemy and related skills)
• Aspected magicians cannot perform any of the magical skills
associated with the two groups they did not select.
• Aspected magicians can only learn Counterspelling if they
take the skills to be a spellcaster.
• Aspected magicians can follow mentor spirits.

• At character creation, aspected magicians who cast spells,
perform rituals, or create alchemical preparations may know
a maximum number of formulae from each group equal to
their Magic Rating x 2 (i.e., Magic Rating of 4 allows 8 spells, 8
rituals, 8 alchemical preparations).

Basically, you can only ever be a sorcerer, a conjurer or an enchanter. Pick one and that's it. In older games, you could pick one conceptual type of magic and have it with casting and conjuring (Fire spirits and Combat spells or Water spirits and Health spells, for example). A kind and benevolent GM would probably let you swing that in this edition, since you're hamstringing yourself bigtime by not taking the broad-based utility of a normal magician. Either way, you're a groggy (half-Awakened) that can't astrally project and can only do a fraction of what a full magician can do.

Be an Aspected Magician because you've got a fun idea or an insane, laser-focused plan.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MilkmanLuke posted:

Be an Aspected Magician because you've got a fun idea or an insane, laser-focused plan.

Imagine I presented you with two choices. You could start with either Magic 4, two rating 4 magical skills, and 7 spells OR you could start with magic 5 and one rating 4 magical skill group.

If you wanted to be an enchanter, you would definitely take the first option; there is only one good skill in the Enchanting group (alchemy) and so you'll probably take Assensing as your other skill. If you wanted to be a conjurer, you would take the second one; starting with 7 spells is pointless to you and option B gives you a higher magic. There are two good skills in the Conjuring group so the skills are a wash. If you wanted to be a sorcerer, you could go either way; you want spells and all of the skills in the Sorcery are good.

If you choose option 1, you are a Magician or Mystic Adept and could at any time in the future decide to branch out. If you choose option B, you are an aspected magician and cannot ever branch out. It's a similar story with Magic C, leaving Magic D as the only situation when you could be an aspected magician and not be seriously questioning your life choices (although unless you're a human or Elf with Metatype at C, your Magic is going to be embarrassingly low)

I don't know what idiot thought you should get (about) the same amount of karma for picking Aspected Magician or full Magician. In SR4, I let aspected magicians start as rating 1 initiates for free and still never got any takers.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly if Aspected Magicians could Astrally Project, they'd be good. But they can't, so its kind of a trap option. You could be a straight Spellcaster like a D&D Wizard, never bothering with Spirits or Astral Projection, and throw Powerballs all day long at things. Attribute A, Magic B, Skills C, Money D and Race E (Human). Magic 6, Spellcasting group 6, 28 points to throw at skills left, 50,000NY to buy a power foci or sustaining foci and smattering of gear.

For someone new coming to Shadowrun, or who wants to play a spellcasting awakened without bells and whistles, its solid. You can still do Astral Overwatch, but getting no free spells (why the hell not, by the way) sucks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm away from books for a while, so pardon me asking: Can adepts still opt to astral project?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Tias posted:

I'm away from books for a while, so pardon me asking: Can adepts still opt to astral project?

No, neither mystic nor physical depts can project. There is an adept power for astral perception though.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Okay, looking for players for a 5e PbP over here: [Shadowrun 5] Red Sprawl

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

children overboard posted:

Okay, looking for players for a 5e PbP over here: [Shadowrun 5] Red Sprawl

This guy knows what he's doing.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Would there be any interest in an IRC for talking Shadowrun, similar to what #acolyte does for warhams roleplayers?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

Would there be any interest in an IRC for talking Shadowrun, similar to what #acolyte does for warhams roleplayers?
Why yes! Perhaps it could be named #shadowrun, and run by somebody extremely handsome and awesome!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nyaan and I are actually in a game, though I missed the last session because I've had no internet for like 4 days

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Somehow our tabletop Shadowrun team's slogan has become "We can get paid twice for this!".

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I read through the core and my friend did some number-crunching for statistics, and it's clear that the Glitch rule is unbalanced as written. The exact text says:

quote:

Along with fives and sixes, you need to pay attention to how many ones show up when you roll the dice. If more than half the dice you rolled show a one, then you’ve got problems...

When rolling an odd number of dice, the chance of getting more than half is significantly higher:

(These are each percentages---you have ~x% chance of hitting that target number rolling that die pool.)

This really should be changed to read:

quote:

Along with fives and sixes, you need to pay attention to how many ones show up when you roll the dice. If half or more of the dice you rolled show a one, then you’ve got problems...

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 10, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Zereth posted:

Why yes! Perhaps it could be named #shadowrun, and run by somebody extremely handsome and awesome!

If it already exists maybe it should be in the OP then. :)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm is there no way to Augment Charisma? Was working on an elf adept, but didn't see any powers to improve Charisma. That said there is a power that can be taken more than once to improve the Social Limit.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp, I finally found an open Shadowrun group and made up a character.

Except I have no idea if I made a good or worthless character :v:

He does have a cybernetic ballistic fist from Fallout: New Vegas, though.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ballistic_fist :black101:

Edit: Hey, I've got a question about drones. Do you have to buy piloting programs for them to be able to act autonomously? I didn't see anything in the software area, but I dunno. I had to buy standard weapon mounts for one set of drones and not the other. It was kind of weird.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 11, 2013

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm is there no way to Augment Charisma? Was working on an elf adept, but didn't see any powers to improve Charisma. That said there is a power that can be taken more than once to improve the Social Limit.

There's always good old novacoke. That way you can be a little closer to the Shadowrun nirvana of shooting people in the face for money to pay for the crippling drug addictions that allow you to better shoot people in the face.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Forums Terrorist posted:

If it already exists maybe it should be in the OP then. :)

Fine, fine.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Still grinding through the book. I'm worried Adept Hacker is no longer viable.

Also, it seems like in the illustrations everyone is squatting or wearing high heels. The lady on page 138 is wearing high heel pistols. :stare:

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 11, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay the restriction on stacking Initiative boosting augmentations, does that only matter for the +xd6 part, or also the increasing reaction part? I am wondering if an Adept can take Improved Reflexes 3 and Improved Physical Attribute Reaction 1.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Rockopolis posted:

Still grinding through the book. I'm worried Adept Hacker is no longer viable.

Also, it seems like in the illustrations everyone is squatting or wearing high heels. The lady on page 138 is wearing high heel pistols. :stare:

I am going to make an adept hacker tonight and it will be glorious.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

So this is a hilariously effective decker, probably the best you can make out of the box. I found something interesting about how to greatly increase how good your cyberdeck is: get a rigger command console. Slave the cyberdeck to the RCC and use your new firewall, congrats the low stat on your deck is now firewall at 6. To boot you can run up to 5 decker programs on your RCC, and there is a side bar for which ones you can run (choose to run all the defensive ones here) OR you can even reduce Matrix noise rating! So that frees up your best starting deck to be running 4 attack programs.

HOLY poo poo YOU CAN DO ALL THE MATRIX THINGS LIKE A BADASS!
code:
Human Decker-Adept (a.k.a. The Golden Child of the Matrix)

Resources 	A
Magic 		B (Hermetic Adept)
Skills		C
Attributes	D
Metatype	E

Attributes:
Body		1
Agility		1
Reaction	1
Strength	1
Willpower	5
Logic		7 (8)
Intuition	5
Charisma	1
Edge		3
Essense 	5.2
Magic		6 (5)

Skills:
Computer			6 (7)
Hacking (Hack on the Fly)	6 (9)
Cybercombat (Data Spike)	6 (9)
Electronic Warfare (Jam Signal)	6 (9)
Gunnery				4
Software			1
Biotech Group			2

Adept Powers (5 points):
Improved Ability Computer (1)		.5
Improved Ability Cybercombat (3)	1.5
Improved Ability E-Warfare (3)		1.5
Improved Ability Hacking (3)		1.5

Qualities:
Exceptional Logic		14
Codeslinger (Data Spike)	10
Astral Beacon			-10
Resources (10)			10

Gear (Cyberware):
Cerebral Enhancer (1)		31,500
Smartlink			4,000
Headware Cyberdeck		5,000
Total Nuyen Spent 		40,500

Gear (Cyberdeck):
Sony CIY-720			345,000
Total Nuyen Spent		385,500

Gear (Rigger Command Console):
Vulcan Liegelord		66,000
Total Nuyen Spent		451,500

Gear (Programs):
All Hacker Programs		4,750
All Common Use Programs		540
Total Nuyen Spent		456,790

Gear (IDs):
Fake SIN (4)			10,000
Fake Cyberdeck License (4)	800
Fake RCC License (4)		800
Total Nuyen Spent		468,390

Gear (Armor):
Armor Jacket			1,000
Helmet				100
Clothing			10
Total Nuyen Spent		469,500

Lifestyle Squatter x1 Month	500
Total Nuyen Spent		470,000

1 floating karma, room for negative qualities and contacts.  Needs 24 Points of knowledge skills.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ryuujin posted:

Okay the restriction on stacking Initiative boosting augmentations, does that only matter for the +xd6 part, or also the increasing reaction part? I am wondering if an Adept can take Improved Reflexes 3 and Improved Physical Attribute Reaction 1.

Yes, but you're capped at +4 to any and all stats, so you'd take IPA: Reaction only once. The only thing that breaks this rule is wireless Reaction Boosters combined with Wired Reflexes, which can give you +6 Reaction.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

dirtycajun posted:

To boot you can run up to 5 decker programs on your RCC,

Minor issue, but it does clarify in the Rigger Cyberprogram sidebar 'Programs purchased for use on an RCC cannot be used in a cyberdeck and vice versa'

Minor thing, just means you have to buy those ones twice or not at all.

As for Rigging, I'm getting the impression that running multiple RCCS is the way to go. One for each type of drone you're sharing progs with, and another for hot-swapping between drones.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

In less than a month, Shadowrun, Fifth Edition has become the best-selling PDF of all time in the more than ten years of DriveThruRPG operations, while setting the same standard for Catalyst Game Labs online store.

Additionally, the online allotment of the Shadowrun 5 Deluxe “Mayan” Limited Edition sold out in less than a week. Taking that fantastic excitement from the exploding Shadowrun community into account, Catalyst has worked with the printer to make additional Deluxe “Mayan” Editions available. We’ll have a good stock available at Gen Con, and the online bundles that include this book are available once more…while supplies last.

So...I don't want to give excuses to the horrific editing in this book, but apparently it was well worth it. I'm wondering if it's release coinciding with Shadowrun Returns has given sales a definitive boost?

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Elfface posted:

Minor issue, but it does clarify in the Rigger Cyberprogram sidebar 'Programs purchased for use on an RCC cannot be used in a cyberdeck and vice versa'

Minor thing, just means you have to buy those ones twice or not at all.

As for Rigging, I'm getting the impression that running multiple RCCS is the way to go. One for each type of drone you're sharing progs with, and another for hot-swapping between drones.

You would never run the defensive programs from your deck or offensive from your RCC, so no need for duplication.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jesus there's a ton of interest in children's game.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

Hell yea there is, want to join?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Already applied. :v:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'd love to play a 5e professionals game if anyone else wants to run one. Children has like 50 people wanting to play.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Forums Terrorist posted:

There's no way this is a child's game, you need a college-level reading comprehension in order to find any of the rules that you need to play. :rolleyes:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bigass Moth posted:

I'd love to play a 5e professionals game if anyone else wants to run one. Children has like 50 people wanting to play.

If you run one, I'll buy the 5th ed PDF and play. :shobon:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Martello posted:

If you run one, I'll buy the 5th ed PDF and play. :shobon:

You've seen my posts and should know I don't have the patience to plan out a whole story and put it down in writing. It's hard enough to write for one character in a group let alone set the whole world into being. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PierreTheMime posted:

There's no way this is a child's game, you need a college-level reading comprehension in order to find any of the rules that you need to play. :rolleyes:

He's talking about Children Overboard's pbp game in the Game Room.