Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

XXII: "Baby, I was born to... most likely be dead by now"
A sample of old "Born To *" movies. Thumbnailed because some of these images are greater than 1000 pixels high.

Born to Battle

Born to be Loved

Born to the Saddle

Born to Gamble

Born to Kill

Born to Fight

Born to Speed

Born to the West

Born to be Bad (1934)

Born to be Bad (1950)

Born to Dance

and a bonus "I don't know what's going on here but this deserves to be seen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doing... THAT to Virginia Madsen's face has got to be some kind of crime against humanity.

Purify your mind.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I think I've figured out the thing that bugs me about even arguably well composed Mondo posters like that Elysium one. It's the color. There's no reason for that to be in only red and blue gradients, and it would look way better if it wasn't using them.

There's also the variant

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

opengl128 posted:

There's also the variant

Still red and blue for no goddamn reason. gently caress mondo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

effectual posted:

Thank god studio movie posters never use that color scheme.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The great thing about that poster is that they should have watched the movie before making it. The Elysium side has way too much empty space, Jody Foster is way too prominent and could be filled with William Fitchner, the guy who plays Patel, and Kruger's two CCB partners.

The bottom silhouette, in particular is funny, because those aren't main characters, it's not Alice Braga and her daughter, it's just some immigrants who managed to make it passed the orbital defenses.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Not only did Mondo use some colors in a poster, they also poo poo in my cereal, kicked my dog, and keyed my car.

Those motherfuckers.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mister Chief posted:

Thank god studio movie posters never use that color scheme.

Hes not saying the colours are bad it's the fact that there's no reason to use them. It doesn't fit the movie and it looks weird.

I don't like or dislike the poster but that's clearly what that post meant.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My favorite John Wayne film is The Searchers (cause it's a pretty rad flick)

let's look at the poster I've managed to find on the internet!

DVD Cover?

:effort:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

Kitamura found the guy who played the main character, Tak Sakaguchi, when he saw him fighting a dude in an alley. Kitamura went up to him and said, "Your strength is wasted on the streets, come be in my movie"

Funny thing is that Sakaguchi has made more entertaining movies than Kitamura has at this point (and by "entertaining" I'm including his insane comedies like "Battlefield Baseball").

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ez posted:

Hes not saying the colours are bad it's the fact that there's no reason to use them. It doesn't fit the movie and it looks weird.

I don't like or dislike the poster but that's clearly what that post meant.

I think it's a decently composed poster, but yeah, the color doesn't seem to be really accomplishing a whole lot. I mean, I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I know Elysium and Earth are radically different places. This poster tells me that... Elysium is slightly more cold and Earth is slightly more warm. It doesn't really say anything besides "Elysium is a movie these are some things in it, drawn stylishly."

And honestly I think someone who doesn't know Mondo like we do wouldn't be so put off by it; the fact that we know they pull this poo poo all the time makes it more grating.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Spatula City posted:

No because the woman in that poster was actually in the movie. :v:

Nope.

I actually remembered this People article even after all these years. I'd bought that issue because Raiders of the Lost Ark was on the cover. :downs:

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Not only did Mondo use some colors in a poster, they also poo poo in my cereal, kicked my dog, and keyed my car.

Those motherfuckers.
Hold on, mom, gotta make another post defending this company that makes limited edition movie posters...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tliil posted:

Hold on, mom, gotta make another post defending this company that makes limited edition movie posters...

Did you typed what you meant to say and said what you meant to type? Or is TheBigBudgetSequel your mom?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I would totally watch the Bruce Willis movie that Mondo poster is advertising.

I don't know what it has to do with Elysium though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I personally thought he looked more like Kurt Angle with a few more wrinkles but yeah I can see Willis in there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's not even that they use a red blue color scheme. It's that all the colors in it are gradients of red/orange and blue. The variant is better, Jodie Foster actually looks like she's skin tone, but Damon still has the skin tone of a loving Oompa Loompa for no reason. Even when real studio posters use that color scheme it's usually not the only colors on the poster, just the main elements. Doing the rings for earth in an orange/red and then the rings of Elysium in blue, but having the people actually people colored would have been fine. I'd have really liked that poster if it was like that. But the way they used the colors, and the lack therefore of, is just...weird looking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ShufflerZero posted:

Born to Kill

This kept popping up on Netflix for a while in my suggestions (they were right, by the way, it's an awesome movie). And every time I saw it, I'd do a double take, wondering when Ben Affleck made a period noir. The tagline is great too and hilarious if you watch the movie, because the femme fatale is a billion times colder than the dude in the poster.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

effectual posted:

If by no reason you mean "a stylistic choice used because it creates a visually pleasing contrast" then yes, I agree.

You're not raging because it looks bad, you're raging because it's overdone, which is loving stupid.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If by no reason you mean "a stylistic choice used because it creates a visually pleasing contrast" then yes, I agree.

You're not raging because it looks bad, you're raging because it's overdone, which is loving stupid.

Or someone could just genuinely dislike the way it looks.

I admit it's hard for me to articulate what I don't like about it. I think it's the same thing that makes some CGA PC games or Super Game Boy stuff hard to look at -- they work in a super-restricted color palette and harsh or ill-fitting colors end up getting used a lot. It ends up looking sickly.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The lack of colors is primarily due to that fact that all of their posters are screen printed. I don't even like that poster, I just think it's color scheme is the least of its problems.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Spatula City posted:

No because the woman in that poster was actually in the movie. :v:

(yeah, VHS cover, but I don't think this cut ever got a theatrical release)

Circled: Things appearing in this film. Green X: Things not appearing in this film.

Not only are there no flying horses in the film, it is set in a world where horses do not exist in any way shape or form. Also there are no robots, and the protagonist is not a man.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah yes. The original American release of Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind. I've heard that Hayao Miyazaki was absolutely heart broken over how it was butchered and it took a lot of hard work for him to be convinced to let the US translate any more of his movies over. It's one of the reasons he has a good relationship with John Lassater; the man understands and respects his movies.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I saw that picture years before seeing the movie, and I always thought they were riding a sandworm of some kind.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lotish posted:

Ah yes. The original American release of Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind. I've heard that Hayao Miyazaki was absolutely heart broken over how it was butchered and it took a lot of hard work for him to be convinced to let the US translate any more of his movies over. It's one of the reasons he has a good relationship with John Lassater; the man understands and respects his movies.

The whole debacle did lead to one of the greatest "gently caress you" messages in film history though:

quote:

Dissatisfied with Warriors of the Wind, Miyazaki suggested that people should put it "out of their minds." Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki have asked fans to forget its existence and later adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for future foreign releases of its films. On hearing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would try to cut Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, one of Studio Ghibli's producers sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ahhh, that's better.

Fatkraken posted:

Not only are there no flying horses in the film, it is set in a world where horses do not exist in any way shape or form. Also there are no robots, and the protagonist is not a man.
Better X-out the "band of young warriors" too.

When I was a little kid I saw that version on HBO or rented it and I loved it; way later, when I was in my 20s I saw the English printing of the manga and wondered why it looked so drat familiar. After googlingHotBot-ing it I ended up at Nausicaa.net and finally learned about that film, that edit and Studio Ghibli in general.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 11, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Why did someone strap that poor camel to the top of a B-2 bomber??

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It really does lose something as just a silhouette doesn't it? Just goes to show that bluray covers are bad all over the world.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

a kitten posted:

It really does lose something as just a silhouette doesn't it? Just goes to show that bluray covers are bad all over the world.

There are a lot of good bluray covers, this is just further proof that minimalist covers are bad all over the world.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
New mission, thread: Post GOOD Blu Ray covers that are not Criterion or Special Edition.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Pascallion posted:

New mission, thread: Post GOOD Blu Ray covers that are not Criterion or Special Edition.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Typo spotted. Funny thing though, google images shows that "women" is spelled correctly on other sources for the cover. I wonder what happened.

step aside fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 11, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's Collector's Edition, I think it counts as special.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Does the blu-ray of highlander come with a stand?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The lesson seems to be good blu-ray covers are usually the poster art.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Seeing this makes me wish for the first time that I didn't live in Canada where I have to read S.O.S. Phantomes under the title.

(Yes I'm aware I can order from the US online)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I could do without the quote, but yeah. I like the alt cover with the head in the street, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

I don't know if the guy asking for these would count this as it was limited edition from...FYE? I want to say FYE. But I always loved this steelbook of Cloverfield, to the point where if I ever upgrade to blu ray I'll just swap the discs and give the DVD in the blu ray case to my father or something: