Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

I'm beta testing it. What do you want to know?

Well, you answered my question a couple posts down, I just wanted to know if it was still on track for release soonish. I was a kickstarter backer but didn't get chosen for the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
I didn't really see this discussed - but does anyone have any thoughts on good games for the Iphone (vs. Ipad). I'm a fan of all the classic eurogames like Carcassone, Stone Age, Aricola, etc. but I wasn't sure if the recommendations listed in the OP work well on the small screen of the Iphone or if they are more for the Ipad?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

I didn't really see this discussed - but does anyone have any thoughts on good games for the Iphone (vs. Ipad). I'm a fan of all the classic eurogames like Carcassone, Stone Age, Aricola, etc. but I wasn't sure if the recommendations listed in the OP work well on the small screen of the Iphone or if they are more for the Ipad?

Carcassonne works wonderfully on the iPhone, Agricola is pretty decent.

Caylus is a little cramped on the iPhone, but is pretty passable.

Le Havre is almost too small/cramped to be enjoyable on the iPhone, though, IMO

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Don't buy Carcassonne because then you'll see every other board game as inferior. It really is loving fantastic in every single way, no other game comes close to matching any of its elements from online stability and game management, interface design, polish, etc.

Buy Carcassonne if you're okay with crushing disappointment in any other board game app you launch. poo poo, it's one of the few games that actually has a loving chat component.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bummey posted:

Don't buy Carcassonne because then you'll see every other board game as inferior. It really is loving fantastic in every single way, no other game comes close to matching any of its elements from online stability and game management, interface design, polish, etc.

Buy Carcassonne if you're okay with crushing disappointment in any other board game app you launch. poo poo, it's one of the few games that actually has a loving chat component.

Since buying that game i rarely get to touch my iPad because my, non gamer, wife is always playing carcassonne....

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks guys, I bought Carcassone, Ra and Lost Cities so far.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012

Bummey posted:

I think I prefer playing Carcassonne on iOS more then playing the physical game. It truly is a great experience.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jungn posted:

I think I prefer playing Carcassonne on iOS more then playing the physical game. It truly is a great experience.

Anymore I'm starting to feel like this for every tabletop game. I was just talking about this over a game of Ascension: Rise of Vigil the other day. My opponent was saying how bummed he was that it wasn't in the app or else we'd just play it there in half the time per match with perfectly accurate rule following and scoring.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Summoner Wars is getting two new factions next week.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Summoner Wars is getting two new factions next week.

Oh boy! We are getting the Benders and Mountain Vargath. The Benders are very annoying to play against, but any new variety is good!

Also, there will be AI for the Fallen Kingdom, the Vanguards, and the Mountain Vargath, which is nice for those of us that like to pound out a quick game every now and again.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Is the iOS version of Talisman any good? It just dropped to $.99.

http://appshopper.com/games/talisman-prologue-hd

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Geburan posted:

I'd never heard of it before this post, but it seems pretty cool based on my 5-10 minutes messing around with it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Geburan posted:

Ok, having messed around with it off and on all day I'd definitely give it the worth-a-buck seal of approval. The game itself is entertaining enough, it does a good job of introducing new concepts while letting you jump right in (not that you'll care if you already know how to play I guess), and they went the route that I prefer of showing you all die rolls etc and preserving the board game experience (vs trying to abstract all that away for the ios app).

Ranzino Smith
Sep 27, 2011

Hark the Sound
When the Ascension tourney gets under way, please post in here. I had turn off notifications for GroupMe, it was killing my phone battery. Want to go ahead and get my loss out of the way.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Ok, having messed around with it off and on all day I'd definitely give it the worth-a-buck seal of approval. The game itself is entertaining enough, it does a good job of introducing new concepts while letting you jump right in (not that you'll care if you already know how to play I guess), and they went the route that I prefer of showing you all die rolls etc and preserving the board game experience (vs trying to abstract all that away for the ios app).

Wow, thanks for the test run. Hope you continue to enjoy your purchase!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ranzino Smith posted:

When the Ascension tourney gets under way, please post in here. I had turn off notifications for GroupMe, it was killing my phone battery. Want to go ahead and get my loss out of the way.

Turn notifications off and pop in every now and then. The web client is also really good if you spend time at a computer, which we all do.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Ranzino Smith posted:

Turn everything but badges off. That way you can see at a glance if there's anything new in the GroupMe without have tons of notifications.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Shelter is an interesting game that captures the zombie experience, but good lord, that game is extremely buggy and horrible at explaining things. I've had games where I defeated all of the zombies and the game just wouldn't end and requiring me to forfeit.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nybble posted:

Shelter is an interesting game that captures the zombie experience, but good lord, that game is extremely buggy and horrible at explaining things. I've had games where I defeated all of the zombies and the game just wouldn't end and requiring me to forfeit.

Yeah, I've experienced that bug myself. The new update makes the game way more enjoyable. They know allow you to skip the attack animation and fast forward the zombie turns. The game length now feels perfect for quick distraction.

I kinda wish they would bring back the blacked out cards bug. Not knowing what zombie was placed until it attacked made for some interesting strategic decisions.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Paperback is soliciting for alpha testers for their Android app on their Facebook page. Not much activity so far, but if you want to try a deckbuilder with a bit of a different take on the genre, send a message to the game's account. I sent one last week and got a reply today with the apk.

https://www.facebook.com/paperbackgame?fref=ts

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Summoner Wars update is out! I haven't set up a Playdek account, but I will tonight! Come face my mighty goats.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I bought Eclipse while trying to scratch a sci-fi itch that I've had lately. I never really played turn based board games apart from Risk. Therefore, I'm awful. Does anyone have some good pointers for a newbie? I find myself getting overwhelmed with exploring versus researching, or how my influence and money depletes and I'm bankrupt. I've run through the tutorial twice now but I feel like I get washed away in the information.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Beastie posted:

Does anyone have some good pointers for a newbie?

Have you checked BoardgameGeek?

Primer on economy: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/760874/an-eclipse-economic-primer

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Woo, there's going be a native Dominion app after all according to Pocket Tactics!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Woo, there's going be a native Dominion app after all according to Pocket Tactics!

Sure hope the honor the $$$ I put into the HTML 5 version.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Sure hope the honor the $$$ I put into the HTML 5 version.

They probably won't.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Goko is giving up on HTML 5 and making a proper iOS app for Dominion.

Had anyone here actually been playing on Goko? I played it the first day and was so unimpressed I never went back.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Goko is giving up on HTML 5 and making a proper iOS app for Dominion.

Had anyone here actually been playing on Goko? I played it the first day and was so unimpressed I never went back.

Please read the thread before posting. Or, at the very least, the most recent three posts.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
So wait, what is the Catan I have on my iPad? Is it a non-native app?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Please read the thread before posting. Or, at the very least, the most recent three posts.

I looked at all the links on this page and didn't see one. Because there wasn't one. Sorry for being helpful

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Well thank gently caress, you idiots. It's what they should have done off the bat :(

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nybble posted:

So wait, what is the Catan I have on my iPad? Is it a non-native app?

According to the comments it may have been a miscommunication since it doesn't look like they have the rights to Catan.

In any case, the company in charge of the existing app is working on online multiplayer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish Fantasy Flight would port some of their bigger games to iOS. Terrible rulebooks aren't as big of a deal when everything is adjudicated by the computer anyway.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish Fantasy Flight would port some of their bigger games to iOS. Terrible rulebooks aren't as big of a deal when everything is adjudicated by the computer anyway.
I'd kill for a digital version of Netrunner.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Al Baron posted:

I'd kill for a digital version of Netrunner.

So too, I have to imagine, would enough other players to cover the development costs. It kinda blows my mind that there still isn't an app version.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Hello all, as I mentioned earlier this month, here is the second goon Ascension tournament, played with both Storm of Souls and Immortal Heroes. You can sign up through the page; it's a double-elimination style like the first one, and most of the rules are similar for the same reason (i.e. it worked well the first time).

If anyone wants to donate prizes, that would be appreciated, but nerd cred should be plenty of reason to sign up ;)

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Allan Assiduity posted:

Hello all, as I mentioned earlier this month, here is the second goon Ascension tournament, played with both Storm of Souls and Immortal Heroes.

I haven't played any Immortal Heroes--time to practice!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

it doesn't look like they have the rights to Catan.

They do have the rights to Catan, but not exclusive.

Instead, they are making an MMO Catan game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Funso Banjo posted:

They do have the rights to Catan, but not exclusive.

Instead, they are making an MMO Catan game.

The gently caress? That sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

vtlock posted:

I haven't played any Immortal Heroes--time to practice!
If you want to add me, my Playdek account name is on the list and I'm fairly regular at playing :) There's plenty of willing people in the GroupMe as well.

I've changed the tournament style to single elimination (best of three) after being pointed to fairly consistent responses after the first tournament that it seemed like a better idea. Let's see how it goes, shall we?

• Locked thread