Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harry posted:

You have the nunchuck, wii mote, and the classic controller. I can kind of see what he's saying, but honestly I don't really get the "it's too expensive" part (people were saying this before the PS4 and XBone prices were released). $350 isn't just some absurd amount for most people, certainly isn't the $600 PS3 or whatever it released at.

$350 dollars for the system, $50 for a wiimote/nunchuck, $50 for a Wii U pro controller. Then you have to buy a game. I don't need any other controller for the PS4 other than what's included, just a game. So it's cheaper for me to get a PS4.

And I'm not saying the compatibility is a bad thing, but it sure sucks that Nintendo doesn't pack in a wiimote at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's a bit of an arbitrary assessment of what you "have" to buy, since the $350 model comes with a game, the Gamepad can be used for anything, and the Pro isn't technically required for any purpose. You might also say that with the PS4 you have to buy a second controller, a Move, and a PS4 camera.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

$350 dollars for the system, $50 for a wiimote/nunchuck, $50 for a Wii U pro controller. Then you have to buy a game. I don't need any other controller for the PS4 other than what's included, just a game. So it's cheaper for me to get a PS4.

And I'm not saying the compatibility is a bad thing, but it sure sucks that Nintendo doesn't pack in a wiimote at least.

This ain't pokemon boy, you don't have to collect one of every controller. You don't need the Wii U pro controller for poo poo. The controller that comes with the system is the only thing you need to play a game. Same as the Ps4

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Doesn't Nintendoland require at least two controllers for most (all?) minigames?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nope, all but three minigames can be played solo using the Gamepad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you don't have a friend or relative with a Wii, yet had a Wii U... I don't know what to say. Why are we knocking that you can recycle your old wii stuff?

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Harry posted:

I can kind of see what he's saying, but honestly I don't really get the "it's too expensive" part (people were saying this before the PS4 and XBone prices were released). $350 isn't just some absurd amount for most people, certainly isn't the $600 PS3 or whatever it released at.
You do understand the meaning of value, right? $350 for a modern system would be great, but $350 for obsolete hardware with a Fisher-Price tablet is loving ridiculous.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Midee posted:

You do understand the meaning of value, right? $350 for a modern system would be great, but $350 for obsolete hardware with a Fisher-Price tablet is loving ridiculous.

To be fair to Fisher-Price, they probably wouldn't be retarded enough to use a resistive touch screen in 2012.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

To be fair to Fisher-Price, they probably wouldn't be retarded enough to use a resistive touch screen in 2012.

Yes they were.

Of course, you can forgive them slightly, since they don't intend a single human being over 3 to use the technology.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
I was pretty "meh" about this console like I'm sure most people are, then I read in the other thread Dick Smith in NZ were doing the premium bundle for $199 so I jumped at it. It's turned out to be an awesome purchase! Up until I got Pikmin 3 this week I'd only really been using it for multiplayer (Zombi U and Nintendoland) which was great fun and provided experiences I haven't had on other consoles. I've always been a fan of "asymmetrical" multiplayer; I played the poo poo out of Pacman Vs back on the Gamecube. PS4/Xbone won't offer anything like that (maybe w/ Vita I guess), though I'm sure I'll end up getting one or the other as well.

Admittedly I'd be feeling pretty miffed if I'd paid full price (like $549 here) but as it stands, even if they release the games they've announced for the next year or so then nothing else ever it'd still be worth the $350 you guys in the States are paying.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Wow 199 NZD is loving cheap. Its like $175 real (Aussie) dollars! Surely Dick Smith must be giving up on stocking WiiU in NZ if they are selling it at what must be a huge loss.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AgentJotun posted:

Its like $175 real (Aussie) dollars! Surely Dick Smith must be giving up on stocking WiiU in NZ if they are selling it at what must be a huge loss.

Isn't Australia on the verge of banning WiiU entirely via banning all region-locked electronics?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Isn't Australia on the verge of banning WiiU entirely via banning all region-locked electronics?

I don't think this is going to happen, but I'd love it if it did!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Eindyin posted:

Admittedly I'd be feeling pretty miffed if I'd paid full price (like $549 here) but as it stands, even if they release the games they've announced for the next year or so then nothing else ever it'd still be worth the $350 you guys in the States are paying.

Pssh, maybe it's worth it on the bottom of the world, where everything is upside down, cats chase dogs, and toilets flush backwards. :smug:

(That is a great deal though, nice find!)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Junkie Disease posted:

Why are we knocking that you can recycle your old wii stuff?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sweet reaction gif brah

Not everyone has Wii peripherals just lying around, I know I didn't when I bought my Wii U. If a friend hadn't donated a WiiMote to me so I could play some Wii titles, I pretty much wouldn't have bothered with the older games.

If you have a Wii U right now, and don't find any games on it particularly appealing (which is a lot of people, Monster Hunter is something only Monster Hunter fans enjoy, and NSMBU while good may not be everyone's cup of tea, and Pikmin is Pikmin is meh), then to take advantage of the admittedly pretty awesome Wii backlog you need to buy Wii peripherals separately. Peripherals that Nintendo is basically deemphasizing the importance of because their support for the Wii is all but non-existent, and all of their new games will likely use either the pro-controller or the GamePad in the future simply because they can't count on everyone just up and buying another piece of plastic to play a game in a different way that, again, is no longer the focus on the console.

Of course, most people are just skipping this dilemma altogether and just aren't even buying the thing, which is another problem.

It wouldn't surprise me if a newer model of the Wii U came out in the near future that outright removed all BC from the system to save money. It's not like they're in a hurry to unfuck how trashy their handling of digital content transfers really is compared to, say, everyone else on the market.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Oh no, you have to buy a Wiimote to play the back catalogue of the previous console on the Wii-U. How dare Nintendo.

Meanwhile, you can't play 360 games on the XBone and you can't play PS3 on the PS4 unless you rebuy the games digitally. Who cares how much that could cost, it doesn't fit into a gently caress Nintendo rant.

You know, it's one thing when people have real gripes about the console but complaining they have to buy a Wii controller to play Wii games is impressively whiny. I don't ever remember anyone bitching about having to use a GameCube controller to play GameCube on the Wii. So petty.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

If you have a Wii U right now, and don't find any games on it particularly appealing (which is a lot of people, Monster Hunter is something only Monster Hunter fans enjoy, and NSMBU while good may not be everyone's cup of tea, and Pikmin is Pikmin is meh), then to take advantage of the admittedly pretty awesome Wii backlog you need to buy Wii peripherals separately. Peripherals that Nintendo is basically deemphasizing the importance of because their support for the Wii is all but non-existent, and all of their new games will likely use either the pro-controller or the GamePad in the future simply because they can't count on everyone just up and buying another piece of plastic to play a game in a different way that, again, is no longer the focus on the console.

New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land use the Wii Remote for multiplayer, Pikmin 3 uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuck as the optimal control setup, Wii Party U will use Wii Remotes in multiplayer, Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze will all allow the Wii Remote for multiplayer, Mario Kart 8 lets you use Wii Remote for tilt steering or Wii Remote and Nunchuk for analog steering, and I'm positive that Smash Bros will retain the Wii Remote option from Brawl.

So there's literally every one of Nintendo's announced major releases barring Wind Waker HD using controllers they're "deemphasizing".

E: Hell, here's the box that my two latest Wii Remotes came in.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 11, 2013

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Have you tried to use two touch inputs on this thing at the same time and said this could be doable? It didn't take much to see that it was a ergonomic nightmare for anything but two thumbs. That is not a knock against Nintendo. This isn't an ipad, this was never intended to have touch be the main interface for the majority of games and there is good reasons for it.

But hey this is the "hate only Nintendo" thread. This thread seems more at home on Reddit and more knee jerk sites to me. MS and Sony decided to barely do anything to their next gen controllers but hey lets keep beating a dead horse and go back to that when it launches.

Ignoring the politics and drama of the drm and whos got what exclusive proves whos got a better system: Sony or MS. I give kudos to Microsoft to sticking to the Kinect. Its at least an attempt by making it a default option to let developers provide a new experience. Sony just added a screen-less touch pad to the dualshock and tossed the PlayStation eye into the bargain bin known as sold separately. Sure nether had anything to say about it at E3 and thanks to MS showing zero support for the Kinect. Even that dumb gladiator Qte which started off as a kinect demo, was a controller game. They provided no counterpoint to the argument that ps4 and Xbone are the same beast with 100 dollar difference. MS should have been able to at least counter with yeah but your missing out on this sweet Kinect and its precrime games.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Midee posted:

Anyone buying the Wii U is buying it for Nintendo games, which is where the value is.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Harry posted:

Anyone buying the Wii U is buying it for Nintendo games, which is where the value is.
And it's slim pickings right now.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Sir John Feelgood posted:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3

True, but some people have enough foresight to see that the games will come out sometime in the future.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Harry posted:

Nintendo games are nice but they aren't valuable enough for most people to drop $350 on. $250, and you'd have a point.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Harry posted:

True, but some people have enough foresight to see that the games will come out sometime in the future.

And those people might buy the console when the games come out and console might be cheaper.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3

If only we knew this every page! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRo5MxaJY This game is in a few weeks, and I know there is a demo and its been mentioned before that it is in fact NOT made by Nintendo. It is however slick as heck and a blast to play.

I'm sure it would magically be a better game on another system and development is voodoo so it just would work out somehow. If this is Platinums largest game to date and what they did in a few years I can't wait to get a "hands on" with Bayonetta 2. Which general consensus here was that Nintendo are monsters for publishing rather then let it never be made. Shame on them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Harry posted:

I have the same foresight, but I'm waiting to buy until those games arrive. I plan to buy a Wii U at the end of the year.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Junkie Disease posted:

If only we knew this every page! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRo5MxaJY This game is in a few weeks, and I know there is a demo and its been mentioned before that it is in fact NOT made by Nintendo. It is however slick as heck and a blast to play.

I'm sure it would magically be a better game on another system and development is voodoo so it just would work out somehow. If this is Platinums largest game to date and what they did in a few years I can't wait to get a "hands on" with Bayonetta 2. Which general consensus here was that Nintendo are monsters for publishing rather then let it never be made. Shame on them.

It's going to hard for you to get "hands on" with Bayonetta, what with you being nailed to that cross and everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Junkie Disease posted:

Have you tried to use two touch inputs on this thing at the same time and said this could be doable? It didn't take much to see that it was a ergonomic nightmare for anything but two thumbs. That is not a knock against Nintendo. This isn't an ipad, this was never intended to have touch be the main interface for the majority of games and there is good reasons for it.

But hey this is the "hate only Nintendo" thread. This thread seems more at home on Reddit and more knee jerk sites to me. MS and Sony decided to barely do anything to their next gen controllers but hey lets keep beating a dead horse and go back to that when it launches.

Ignoring the politics and drama of the drm and whos got what exclusive proves whos got a better system: Sony or MS. I give kudos to Microsoft to sticking to the Kinect. Its at least an attempt by making it a default option to let developers provide a new experience. Sony just added a screen-less touch pad to the dualshock and tossed the PlayStation eye into the bargain bin known as sold separately. Sure nether had anything to say about it at E3 and thanks to MS showing zero support for the Kinect. Even that dumb gladiator Qte which started off as a kinect demo, was a controller game. They provided no counterpoint to the argument that ps4 and Xbone are the same beast with 100 dollar difference. MS should have been able to at least counter with yeah but your missing out on this sweet Kinect and its precrime games.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this post.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh no, you have to buy a Wiimote to play the back catalogue of the previous console on the Wii-U. How dare Nintendo.

Meanwhile, you can't play 360 games on the XBone and you can't play PS3 on the PS4 unless you rebuy the games digitally. Who cares how much that could cost, it doesn't fit into a gently caress Nintendo rant.

You know, it's one thing when people have real gripes about the console but complaining they have to buy a Wii controller to play Wii games is impressively whiny. I don't ever remember anyone bitching about having to use a GameCube controller to play GameCube on the Wii. So petty.

It's like you're so desperate to defend Nintendo from all slights you can't help yourself from sounding like, well, Paper Jam Dipper about it. There's a whole thread for you and Junkie Disease to be happy in, rather than cyclically orbiting back into this thread to cry foul about how only Nintendo Haters (tm) post here and this thread should really be in Reddit why are people so mean to Nintendo :cry:

That's not a gently caress Nintendo rant, you silly fanboy, that's a "Hey there's actually additional costs associated to the console to get the most out of it" rant, which honestly it wasn't much of a rant. Especially considering that right now, for most people, there's not a lot on the system to justify buying it for being a Wii U. I think folks would be better served just picking up a used Wii at this point to get access to that backlog if they desperately need to, rather than buying a Wii U. At least until next year, when the library will definitely be fleshed out some more (and a price drop will likely be in place).

deadwing posted:

So there's literally every one of Nintendo's announced major releases barring Wind Waker HD using controllers they're "deemphasizing".

By deemphasizing, I mean that they've taken the WiiMote, which WAS the primary controller for the Wii, and they've made it an optional peripheral. Developers who are NOT Nintendo now don't have much reason to make a serious effort at accommodating the WiiMote control scheme because they they know FOR CERTAIN that everyone will have have a GamePad (and any control schemes using that can be easily transferred over to a Pro Controller because I doubt we're going to see exciting use of the touchscreen any time soon).

What they don't know for certain is whether or not people are going to have WiiMotes. You're going to keep seeing it be an option, and I think its optional nature will find the WiiMote controls being ignored more and more, particularly when we start seeing more games hit the system and take more advantage of the GamePad first.

Junkie Disease posted:

Which general consensus here was that Nintendo are monsters for publishing rather then let it never be made. Shame on them.

To be fair, the people who are legitimately angry about Nintendo publishing Bayonetta 2 might be almost as lovely a group of posters as you have been in this thread, and very easy to disregard.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I guess having a resistive touchscreen makes the game pad easier to use with styluses. The resolution is pretty poor, but anything better would have dropped the battery life even more.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Midee posted:

Nintendo games are nice but they aren't valuable enough for most people to drop $350 on. $250, and you'd have a point.

How many people do you think bought PS3/Xbox just for Halo, Madden, and one of the various FPSs?

I have the same foresight, but I'm waiting to buy until those games arrive. I plan to buy a Wii U at the end of the year.
So when the games come out would you say it's overpriced if it's still $350?

Harry fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harry posted:

How many people do you think bought PS3/Xbox just for Halo, Madden, and one of the various FPSs?
I don't know about "just", but if you were to say "which console do I buy to play the majority of AAA titles in the current/next generation", the answer is not going to be Nintendo. Not with the Wii and not with the U. When all is said and done the game libraries of Xbox One and PS4 will be substantially larger than Wii U.

Harry posted:

If he waits until the end of the year he'll probably be able to get a Wii U bundle that includes one of the big holiday games for the same price, so the value proposition might be different then.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Harry posted:

They also bought them for the next gen hardware and/or blu-ray playback. If the 360 had graphics like the Xbox 2001, do you think it would've sold as much?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Harry posted:

Well, it's up to individuals. Personally, I won't pay it. I'll pay $300 or less, and I expect to be able to do so at the end of the year, whether it's due to a price drop or a deal.

edit: It's hard to say whether it's overpriced, but a $350 Wii U this holiday is certainly not priced competitively.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 11, 2013

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm upset about Bayonetta 2 being a Nintendo exclusive but only because the Wii U has such a lacklustre line up of other games coming out for it. Bayonetta 1 is a fantastic game but it was never a system seller, it's the kind of game that is great to have as part of a varied library. I can't justify to myself getting an expensive console just for one 10-15 hour game when there are no other killer apps yet and that annoys me because it means I'm gonna miss out on a game I'd really like to play. I don't believe Bayo 2 even has a release date set yet either way.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo, especially the N64 era, but it feels like they have stagnated over the last few years. It's really hard to get excited about how they are going about things home console wise.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

If only we knew this every page! This game is in a few weeks, and I know there is a demo and its been mentioned before that it is in fact NOT made by Nintendo. It is however slick as heck and a blast to play.

I can barely comprehend what you've been trying to say in this thread. There's no way you're older than 15. What does Wonderful 101 have to do with weak first-party support for the WiiU?

Edit: Even still, a good third-party game coming out doesn't suddenly mean the problems with the WiiU's library are either solved or will be solved shortly. It has the same issue the Vita has, save for the part where the Vita is slowly becoming a place to play some pretty great indie games. Also, pretty sure the consensus here is that it sucks that Bayonetta 2 is coming out on the WiiU because relatively few of us have them and aren't super keen on dropping $400 to play it.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 11, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't like that Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are coming out for the Wii U because even if they both had similar attach rates to NSMBU (unlikely) then they would likely be considered financial failures. Wonderful 101 probably will do better than bayonetta purely because it has a sort of child-like glimmer to it, much like a Mario game. But who will buy Bayonetta, the only hardcore/serious looking game on the WiiU?

I do not want these titles to fail because Platinum is great, but I do not see any other end.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't like that Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are coming out for the Wii U because even if they both had similar attach rates to NSMBU (unlikely) then they will likely be considered financial failures. Wonderful 101 probably will do better than bayonetta purely because it has a sort of child-like glimmer to it, much like a Mario game. But who will buy Bayonetta, the only hardcore/serious looking game on the WiiU?

I do not want these titles to fail because Platinum is great, but I do not see any other end.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about Platinum's fate unless they say something about it themselves. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo has pretty much bankrolled these projects, so it'd be them absorbing the brunt of any bad news.

Besides that, it seems like they're going to be working on ReRevengeance at some point, if their recent customer survey was anything to go by. I think they're actually in pretty good shape, all things considered, so long as larger developers and publishers value their talents, they can get by with the hardcore fans they've got.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't like that Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are coming out for the Wii U because even if they both had similar attach rates to NSMBU (unlikely) then they would likely be considered financial failures. Wonderful 101 probably will do better than bayonetta purely because it has a sort of child-like glimmer to it, much like a Mario game. But who will buy Bayonetta, the only hardcore/serious looking game on the WiiU?

Hey, Bayonetta 2 was destined for failure the second no one else wanted to publish it but Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Acting like standard console controls like on the Xbone and PS4 are boring and tired is very, very much a minority opinion. I think there was only one other guy in this thread talking about how he loved the motion controls in the Wii because the other consoles bored him to death. "Offering a new control experience" is basically at the bottom of my list of things I want to see innovated on in the next generation. I've been gaming for 20 years, I'm really quite ok with buttons because they still represent the best way to interact with a game, and all the attempts at alternatives have fallen flat on their face.

This isn't the sort of thing where you get points for trying. Microsoft doesn't deserve kudos for sticking with the Kinect if they're just reiterating on the same awful poo poo they did with it last time.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 11, 2013

• Locked thread