Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I caught myself up on Prophet after reading about it in this thread and (I think) in the Comic recommendation thread, and I am loving the hell out of this comic. It's bat-poo poo crazy.

One particular quirk of Brandon Graham that I'm noticing after also reading Multiple Warheads is that he really likes throwing in lots of world-building, particularly through the use of asides, inserts, and infographics. I feel like normally this kind of thing would annoy me, but when Graham does it, it doesn't feel masturbatory. Instead of stroking his own ego saying, "Heh, check out this crazy poo poo I came up with. :smug:," I feel like he's jumping up and down like a little kid saying, "Check this out! Check this out! It's a Crazy Goofy Scary THING!!" and is just letting you into his clubhouse because he's the nice but weird kid that wants friends with which to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Just a heads up: Brandon Graham's Walrus came out today. It's just sketches and art and pinups but it's cool and good.

Also, the second Glory trade either came out this week or last week AND Paul Pope has a prologue comic out for Battling Boy called "The Invincible Haggard West" that you might ask your comic book guy to look for since he probably didn't order it.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Just a heads up: Brandon Graham's Walrus came out today. It's just sketches and art and pinups but it's cool and good.

Also, the second Glory trade either came out this week or last week AND Paul Pope has a prologue comic out for Battling Boy called "The Invincible Haggard West" that you might ask your comic book guy to look for since he probably didn't order it.

My shop had all three and I bought all three. :getin: Haggard West was loving awesome and I can't wait for the whole Battling Boy book.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I caught myself up on Prophet after reading about it in this thread and (I think) in the Comic recommendation thread, and I am loving the hell out of this comic. It's bat-poo poo crazy.

One particular quirk of Brandon Graham that I'm noticing after also reading Multiple Warheads is that he really likes throwing in lots of world-building, particularly through the use of asides, inserts, and infographics. I feel like normally this kind of thing would annoy me, but when Graham does it, it doesn't feel masturbatory. Instead of stroking his own ego saying, "Heh, check out this crazy poo poo I came up with. :smug:," I feel like he's jumping up and down like a little kid saying, "Check this out! Check this out! It's a Crazy Goofy Scary THING!!" and is just letting you into his clubhouse because he's the nice but weird kid that wants friends with which to share.

Have you read King City? World building all over that place.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bairfanx posted:

Have you read King City? World building all over that place.

I skipped it during the sale Comixology had because it looked like something I might want in a physical TPB. It's definitely on my to-read list. :)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

I skipped it during the sale Comixology had because it looked like something I might want in a physical TPB. It's definitely on my to-read list. :)

I would definitely get it physically, if only because it's actually larger than your average comic and the book benefits greatly from it. It's MSRP is $20, but you can get it on Amazon for a lot less, too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I read King City a couple weeks ago knowing absolutely nothing about it. I didn't know what genre it was or the basic plot or anything I just grabbed it because of how often I see "Read King City" posted. Holy poo poo it was amazing. Some bits of it I was like "huh this isn't a thing I'm enjoying" but overall I enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't want to send it back to the library. My favorite bit was at the end though (serious end spoilers) when the guy was just like "There's always some world ending threat you'll catch the next one. Worry about your people." then they fist bumped. Dude knew where it was at.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

I'm also appreciating the level of craft that Graham is managing in Prophet. It feels like he's able to tap into a rich and storied backdrop with his subtle, passing references to the old Image properties, yet without taking away from his own clearly distinct vision of the world he's working within. It's almost--almost--enough to make me want to go back and reread all the terrible comics of my childhood, but then I remember I'm only enjoying it because it's Brandon Graham's version of the Image universe, that takes all of the interesting ideas and doesn't hew closely to the dreck. It's a less-is-more approach that feels really confident, not bogged down by existing continuity. If you didn't know anything about about pre-existing characters like Supreme or Diehard, you'd just naturally assume they were new and original characters, and they might as well be that with the way Graham is using them. I also love how he can throw out so many whimsical ideas and just have them stand on their own merits. Most writers, especially hard sci-fi writers, can often get stuck up their own asses trying to explicate to death all their grand ideas.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Graham has a really great "staring up at skyscrapers" feel in his sci-fi. Like there's all these awesome rockets and poo poo all around, and he takes time out to wonder at it occasionally, but most of the time you're wandering to the sandwich shop and breathing exhaust. It has a lot of truth to it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I just binge read Morning Glories and I'm really enjoying it so far. I haven't had to suffer through the monthly grind like some other people so I don't know how it fares on that end. I'm awful at keeping up with monthlies though, so I probably wont get back into reading it again for a year or so anyway.

I think what I like about it is that it feels almost exactly like Lost did. It has the overarching mystery plot, the weird supernatural stuff, the really intriguing recurring phrases (The Hour of Our Release Draws Near, What Did You See When Your Eyes Were Opened? etc). The Faculty members feel a lot like the Others to me also. I'm positive all this is intentional but it's made me really hooked. The background plot also feels a lot more coherent in the glimpses we get of it. Even if people said it about Lost all the time and it turned out to be bullshit, I really feel like the story has a definite plan in mind and the mysteries have a real explanation even if the reader isn't privy to it yet.

Man I'm gonna be really bummed out if it has a cop-out ending.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Prison Warden posted:

So I just binge read Morning Glories and I'm really enjoying it so far. I haven't had to suffer through the monthly grind like some other people so I don't know how it fares on that end. I'm awful at keeping up with monthlies though, so I probably wont get back into reading it again for a year or so anyway.

I think what I like about it is that it feels almost exactly like Lost did. It has the overarching mystery plot, the weird supernatural stuff, the really intriguing recurring phrases (The Hour of Our Release Draws Near, What Did You See When Your Eyes Were Opened? etc). The Faculty members feel a lot like the Others to me also. I'm positive all this is intentional but it's made me really hooked. The background plot also feels a lot more coherent in the glimpses we get of it. Even if people said it about Lost all the time and it turned out to be bullshit, I really feel like the story has a definite plan in mind and the mysteries have a real explanation even if the reader isn't privy to it yet.

Man I'm gonna be really bummed out if it has a cop-out ending.

I binged through Morning Glories and loved it too, but then I started having to wait a month between issues and the fact that very little happens in each one was made offputtingly evident. If you're anything like me you'll be noticeably cooler on it once you have to wait weeks to get the next issue rather than seconds

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I binged through Morning Glories and loved it too, but then I started having to wait a month between issues and the fact that very little happens in each one was made offputtingly evident. If you're anything like me you'll be noticeably cooler on it once you have to wait weeks to get the next issue rather than seconds

Exact same issue here. It's why I've stopped buying it for many months now just so I can binge again sometime in the future.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Graham has a really great "staring up at skyscrapers" feel in his sci-fi. Like there's all these awesome rockets and poo poo all around, and he takes time out to wonder at it occasionally, but most of the time you're wandering to the sandwich shop and breathing exhaust. It has a lot of truth to it.

Absolutely, the sense of scale in Prophet is amazing. That's one of my favorite parts of the comic -- how this confrontation between Old Man Prophet and the Earth Empire matters on a universal scale but all of the stories in the issues are so focused and even character-driven. I think #29 (the one with Tail Prophet in the slave ship) is the best example of this. Liberating the ship is shown as this dramatic operation that obviously means everything to the slaves, but you zoom out and they're all such small figures in this massive centuries-long space war happening around them, which is itself probably tiny compared to the Earth Empire saga.

I also love Brandon Graham's tone in all of his works that I've read. It's like this pervading sense of melancholy, introspection, and anomie where the atmosphere is kind of heavy and oppressive but the main characters are compelled to push through it anyways.

Note: I spoiled a bunch of this post because I haven't posted in BSS in maybe 6 years and forgot what the spoiling norms were. Sorry if it's annoying.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 28, 2013

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Will Prophet #32 end up in volume 3? I noticed it got skipped in the second trade.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Will Prophet #32 end up in volume 3? I noticed it got skipped in the second trade.

Yeah it will. According to Graham, he wanted Vol. 2 to focus more on Old Man Prophet.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So Love and Rockets. I should just start at the beginning or is there a good place to begin?

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Goatmask posted:

So Love and Rockets. I should just start at the beginning or is there a good place to begin?

Fantagraphics has a recommended reading order on their website.

I have the first book but haven't read it yet so I can't quite vouch for the list.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Goatmask posted:

The Fantagraphics guide above is a good reference. If I had to choose I'd probably go with the Gilbert/Palomar stories, but if you feel like diving in head-first, grab the first volumes of both and see which grabs you more.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I read pretty much all of Love and Rockets v.1&2 for the first time over the last six months and the Gilbert stuff was definitely easier to get into. Jaime's stuff starts off far too sci-fi for me and to be honest I found most of it really boring until he stops with the stuff almost entirely. But from that point onwards pretty much everything is fantastic, and I probably like his stuff more than Gilbert's now.

But really, just go from the beginning - I can't imagine anything making much sense otherwise.

Howards Bellend fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 1, 2013

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

7744 posted:

It's a real shame that the release dates and marketing have been so dodgy for Nowhere Men. I really want to like it but it's tough.

Also, IDW is going to be re-releasing The Maxx in a monthly format with new coloring:

As someone who has never read The Maxx, I'm actually pretty excited about this.

I am looking forward to this. The Maxx is my favorite series from the early days Image. I reread the the whole run about a year ago and I loved watching Keith's art go from his attempt at following house style Image was using at the time to his signature surreal and cartoonish style.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

side_burned posted:

I am looking forward to this. The Maxx is my favorite series from the early days Image. I reread the the whole run about a year ago and I loved watching Keith's art go from his attempt at following house style Image was using at the time to his signature surreal and cartoonish style.

Aren't all of the recent "reissue with new colors" things of the past few years regrettable at best?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fritz posted:

Aren't all of the recent "reissue with new colors" things of the past few years regrettable at best?

And how.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

And how.

From what I understand, that's how Brian Bolland wanted it. The original coloring job got him really depressed back in the day.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

From what I understand, that's how Brian Bolland wanted it. The original coloring job got him really depressed back in the day.

They said the same thing about Flex Mentallo and that recolor sucked too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Even though the original coloring is kinda garish, it's miles ahead of the recolor. Modern recolors are just horrid.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 5, 2013

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
John Higgins is one of the raddest of all time colourists and Bolland (god bless him) is really boring in comparison.

I kinda dig the Flex recolour, even though I don't appreciate all the choices that Quitely and Doherty made.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Glory got name dropped in the newest Prophet. She's still out there :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just wanted to take a minute to rep Burn The Orphanage by Daniel Freedman and Sina Grace, which came out this past Wednesday.

It's essentially an awesomely drawn illustration of every 1990s side-scrolling beat 'em up you've ever played. Mandatory reading for everyone who spent a lot of time playing Final Fight as a kid. Gavok, I'm looking in your direction.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I just wanted to take a minute to rep Burn The Orphanage by Daniel Freedman and Sina Grace, which came out this past Wednesday.

It's essentially an awesomely drawn illustration of every 1990s side-scrolling beat 'em up you've ever played. Mandatory reading for everyone who spent a lot of time playing Final Fight as a kid. Gavok, I'm looking in your direction.

You have my full attention.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna be buying the ever-loving poo poo out of that.

Gavok posted:

You have my full attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwc1Wi-mlCI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I bought it off Comixology and it is definitely worth reading. Thanks, Frank!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

The art in this isn't very good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Qwo posted:

The art in this isn't very good.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I wouldn't say the art is bad just the whole second issue half of the issue seems ridiculously rushed. Just lacking the detail which makes the bonus content and first half fun. In fact the entire thing feels very rushed.

The bit with kids getting beaten up and called fags or naked evil stripper ninjas being called bitches felt a little out of place too. Harsher than what should be in a fun comic.

I did appreciate that Lex was basically just Alexis Krauss.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The bit with kids getting beaten up and called fags or naked evil stripper ninjas being called bitches felt a little out of place too. Harsher than what should be in a fun comic.

The first bit didn't really bug me since it was said by a teenage bully shithead and that is the kind of language teenage bully shitheads use. The second bit didn't even really register with me and I had to go back and see what you were talking about, but then I guess the word "bitch" hits some people a lot harder than it does me.

Then again I've been rereading Preacher recently so I might just be desensitized.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 12, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I dunno.

I'm fine with harsh language and violence, as far as favorite writers go Ennis is up there, it just felt tonally out of place for the rest of the story. Maybe because it took away some of the camp value of it, I expected something more in tone with Miami Connection or a Jason Eisener piece and this didn't scratch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, I can understand your complaint even if I don't share it. The language and nudity is certainly not something you would actually see in an SNES game.

It's kinda similar to how I feel about the violence in Invincible. I'm fine with gore, but in something that's ostensibly a YA comic it just feels icky.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herobear and the Kid is back this week. Read it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good Dog was a pretty good cute animal POV comic, especially the ending, but I have been spoiled for reading good animal POV comics lately with Elmer and True Swamp.

Seriously, True Swamp is so loving good y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Massive #15 is a stunning comic. I have no idea where all of this is going but Brian Wood just altered the entire tone of the story in the best way. Garry Brown's art (with Jordie Bellaire's coloring) is powerful stuff. There are several instances of character expressions with emotions that just explode off the page. Please tell me there's someone else out there reading this! You are my Massive.