Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

And don't forget that most people don't know poo poo about rabbits, even people who should know better. "Doesn't play well with other rabbits" might just as well mean "I didn't get her fixed so she's still territorial" or "I put a random rabbit in her cage and for some reason they weren't instantly friends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Also, check with humane societies and shelters ANYWHERE near you, just to make sure that there aren't any little bunnies that need good homes. They just opened up a GIGANTIC shelter in Columbus, Ohio, that is basically used to house as many buns as possible until they can find good homes. I can almost guarantee you will find a little fluff ball that is already altered (spayed / neutered) that just wants a comfy place to live. :3:

You might have to drive a little bit out of the way to get to some place, but you will find a much better rabbit than if you just buy one off craigslist.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

grack posted:

Bunnies are mysterious little creatures.

This is really it, rabbits are all different. I had a male rabbit, he wasn't fixed, had a full compliment of bunny cock and balls, but never marked his area, wasn't aggressive, and the times he met female rabbits he showed no interest in them whatesoever. When he met male rabbits he didn't give a poo poo about them either. All he cared about was carrot flavoured treats, bits of pear, and rubs on the head all the time.

Miss that little guy.

Edit: look at this fearsome little thing.

shmee fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 10, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Can I just say that Bitsy has become a little lovebug? She's so sweet now and has bonded with me so much these last few weeks. I love it!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I have a pretty rad bunny named Charlie

He's about four months old now and is a cool dude who hangs around the house, is litter trained, knows his name and comes when called and jumps up on our laps for pats.

One odd thing though, if I'm lying on the couch or the floor (or any place he can get at my face) he'll generally lick me a bit and sometimes will lick the same spot for a couple of minutes at a time but he very rarely licks my partner. Sometimes he'll give her a little token single lick on the nose or something but he just goes to town on me. It isn't as though he likes me more either, he'll jump on her lap and hang out with her just as much, he'll run in circles around her feet and is pretty full of love.

Am I a filthy goon and my rabbit is embarrassed by my lack of grooming or something?

edit: Might as well throw in another picture or two, he's ridiculous cute.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 10, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Ah, who knows. Maybe your face is saltier. Trying to figure out bunny behaviour can lead to madness.

Your fluffball is adorable, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Karandras posted:

One odd thing though, if I'm lying on the couch or the floor (or any place he can get at my face) he'll generally lick me a bit and sometimes will lick the same spot for a couple of minutes at a time but he very rarely licks my partner. Sometimes he'll give her a little token single lick on the nose or something but he just goes to town on me. It isn't as though he likes me more either, he'll jump on her lap and hang out with her just as much, he'll run in circles around her feet and is pretty full of love.

Am I a filthy goon and my rabbit is embarrassed by my lack of grooming or something?

he considers you worthy of love. Rabbits groom each other and to an extent us in order to show affection. He just likes you more than her. Feel free to hold this over her at all times. When a rabbit comes over to you and puts their head down they are requesting grooming. When he sees you do your version he assumes you would appreciate some grooming yourself.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Holy poo poo that is a cute rabbit

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Prawned posted:

And camouflaged! :3:

katarinka
May 4, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He just likes you more than her.

I loving knew it

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Had a minor scare yesterday with Peter. Wasn't enthusiastic about his pellets as he usually is on Thursday night, knew there was a problem when he hadn't touched them all night and also had peed outside his litterbox and was very lethargic and occasionally grinding his teeth Friday morning. Figured it was GI stasis, so I gave him a few doses of simethicone and regular belly massages, he thankfully recovered quite quickly and was about 90% by the afternoon eating some vegetables and by evening, some timothy hay. He's getting pretty old, ~10 years, so I'm assuming this will happen with more frequency now, but I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed. He's been with us forever and it'd be so sad to see him go. drat bunnies.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He just likes you more than her. Feel free to hold this over her at all times.

katarinka posted:

I loving knew it

Seems me secretly feeding him raspberries whenever you're not looking is paying off.

pseudonordic posted:

And camouflaged! :3:

Yeah, he's so untrustworthy with that blanket. Anywhere else and he's fine but if you see him staying still on that thing there's a decent chance he's peeing.

Prawned posted:

grack posted:

Your fluffball is adorable, though.

He sure is! Here're a couple more photos (All the good ones are taken by Katarinka)

(Such a little guy then!)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

katarinka posted:

I loving knew it

I love how you broke 4 years of silence to curse your rabbit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

I love how you broke 4 years of silence to curse your rabbit.

If anything would break an oath of silence it would be a rabbit.

Let's not give any to those Tibetan monks. It would really gently caress with their game.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

NancyPants posted:

If anything would break an oath of silence it would be a rabbit.

Waking up in the morning and seeing a shoebox full of hay just inside a litter tray for no reason. Whyyyyyy rabbit, whyyyyy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Karandras posted:

Waking up in the morning and seeing a shoebox full of hay just inside a litter tray for no reason. Whyyyyyy rabbit, whyyyyy.

Being able to sit in their litter boxes and eat is pretty well bunny heaven.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Karandras posted:

Yeah, he's so untrustworthy with that blanket. Anywhere else and he's fine but if you see him staying still on that thing there's a decent chance he's peeing.

I used to wake my housemate up by putting our rabbit on her bed. It'd wake her up, and you've have a 30 second period where she went from asleep, to awake, to happy to see the rabbit, to realising that she has about 20 seconds before he pisses all over her bed, to out of the bed with the rabbit in her arms. That rabbit loved to piss on her duvet.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

That's never going to change by the way so if you are going to keep that blanket within reach of your rabbit be prepared to wash it often.

It's due to their instincts which allow them to be litterbox trained. And which sometimes allow them to pretend to be smart. But they're really only thinking "extra soft litterbox!" when they're on a blanket or bed. Which is why it'd be counterproductive to scold or try to punish them for peeing on it.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

grack posted:

Being able to sit in their litter boxes and eat is pretty well bunny heaven.

Oh yeah totally and that's the intention. We have a shoebox with a hole cut out at the right height so he can sit in the litter box and eat and it works all fine but then half the time he'll get out and knock it over, often actually into the litter box so he can't get in *or* eat hay.

DS at Night posted:

That's never going to change by the way

Hah, yeah we use this woolen blanket with a knitted rope style pattern and lots of gaps in it which he doesn't find as comfortable so doesn't pee on that. Having a bunny hang out in your bed appears to be an impossible dream and we have up on that before we even got him, apparently beds and couches are things they recognize as yours and tend to want to mark. Thanks for the tip though, pretend to be smart is so right. I thought Charlie was a pretty clever guy because he was litter trained and learnt his name super fast but he still gets confused by wire pet fences and tries to climb through it rather than going around and is clearly actually kinda dumb. He's cute though!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

My evil princess ate part of a chocolate brownie. Trip to the vet and she's ok I hope. She's kinda acting like she's on drugs. We gave her something to detoxify her and some sub-q fluids and I have some Critical Care that I'm going to give her if she doesn't start eating soon. Hopefully it will all be ok... keeping an eye on her.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

My evil princess ate part of a chocolate brownie. Trip to the vet and she's ok I hope. She's kinda acting like she's on drugs. We gave her something to detoxify her and some sub-q fluids and I have some Critical Care that I'm going to give her if she doesn't start eating soon. Hopefully it will all be ok... keeping an eye on her.

Ack! Hope Queen Bitsy detoxes quickly and safely! :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I hope so... I mean the brownie was really sugary. She's breathing really heavy but her lungs were clear at the vet. He says to just wait and see at this point. Y'all know how I am super over caring and whatever.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Well she had a sudden spurt of energy and then started seizing. I held her for a while until it was obvious that she wasn't here anymore.

The vet was really surprised that she died and offered to do an autopsy. I dunno if I will take him up on that. She was acting really differently in the last few weeks - especially this last week. She was super affectionate and loving and sweet. My friend and I have come to the conclusion that much like Paterson, her health was fading in the last few weeks and her eating the brownie was literally the icing on her cake of life.

Rule hell well, Bitsy.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Oh no, oh no I'm so sorry :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'm so sorry to hear that Bitsy passed. :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm so sorry :( And yes drat that is sudden. Although you may be right, whenever Billy gets super sick he gets really affectionate.

I did think Bitsy might live an unnaturally long life what with being evil and all, but I'm pretty sure there is at least an evil aspect of her that is going to linger for a long time. And I don't *just* mean you're going to be finding poop and hay for years because that's pretty much a given.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Oh my god in sorry Luscious. I hope you are doing alright.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about Bitsy. I'm sure she'll be ruling hell with an adorable iron paw. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Condolences for your loss. Sucks they went so close together

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Oh holy poo poo. I was happy to see that Bitsy was being so much nicer to you and then that happens. :(

That is horrible. I'm so sorry to see that. You have the entire thread's condolences.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I'm very sorry about Bitsy. :( I've read your posts here for a while and you're one of the most diligent, caring rabbit owners I've ever seen. You gave her a great life.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Thank you all for the condolences.

I kinda feel like the circle was closed with Bitsy's death and the saddest part of it all for me is going to be the adjustment from having pets to not having pets. She was evil and great and died the honourable death of an evil princess.

I am very relieved that both of their deaths were not traumatic for them or for me. I'm happy that they are together. I will not be getting another rabbit though I will always love them and their memory dearly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

luscious posted:

I am very relieved that both of their deaths were not traumatic for them or for me. I'm happy that they are together. I will not be getting another rabbit though I will always love them and their memory dearly.

The day after you get their cages all put away and given away their stuff, someone will remeber that you keep rabbits and drop one in your lap. It's just what happens.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aw man, really sorry to hear about Bitsy :(

edit: Juppo is out in her run. It is pouring down. She has a big upturned terracotta pot with a door cut into it to hide in, a massive tunnel, and an entirely separate and sheltered hideaway area. Despite all that, she was sat outside in the rain like a lemon, so Mum sent me out with a big tarpaulin to cover the entire thing. So off I trot, get soaked through, cover her up, and she looks at me, flicks her feet up, and runs into the shelter.

Rabbits have a special brand of evil. I thought she was just stupid but no, she was waiting for me to go out and get wet so she could laugh in my face.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 12, 2013

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ender turned 7 this month and I notice he's having more frequent digestive upsets than when he was younger. It's not a full on impaction or anything I need to take him to the vet for but he'll stop eating for a few hours, feel ill, and then seemingly pass whatever it was on his own. I have taken him to the vet in the last year for a more serious impaction and we treated another one at home ourselves with leftover meds a few months ago.

He gets unlimited grass hay, unlimited water, and a large portion of greens twice a day (varied lettuce, herbs, kale, etc). Do any of you have any suggestions on something I can feed him to help keep him regular as he gets older? I know pineapple juice has been mentioned, should I give him a very small amount every few days?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Do you give him papaya enzyme pills at all?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bunway Airlines posted:

Ender turned 7 this month and I notice he's having more frequent digestive upsets than when he was younger. It's not a full on impaction or anything I need to take him to the vet for but he'll stop eating for a few hours, feel ill, and then seemingly pass whatever it was on his own. I have taken him to the vet in the last year for a more serious impaction and we treated another one at home ourselves with leftover meds a few months ago.

He gets unlimited grass hay, unlimited water, and a large portion of greens twice a day (varied lettuce, herbs, kale, etc). Do any of you have any suggestions on something I can feed him to help keep him regular as he gets older? I know pineapple juice has been mentioned, should I give him a very small amount every few days?

As my two hell balls get older we have decreased the greens. They still have unlimited hay and water, but the fattest one has lost weight as is now normal sized and they both have more energy and hellishness in them. Maybe he is getting too many greens and not eating enough roughage as a result?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Both good points - I will reduce the greens and see what happens.

I haven't given the enzymes either; maybe that's what I was thinking of instead of pineapple juice. Something like this? http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/papaya-enzymes-N180-p-now.html?gclid=CJOXvoiQ-bgCFSU6QgoduTgAng

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Just make sure that it isn't from concentrate. Your best bet is to just buy a whole pineapple and cut it up and eat it yourself because it is delicious and then give the juice to bunny.

Since I no longer have a bunny I am going to leave this thread... it's kind of making me sad so I am going to take my leave. I'll probably check in on you all from time to time.

Take care of yourselves :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Since I no longer have a bunny I am going to leave this thread... it's kind of making me sad so I am going to take my leave. I'll probably check in on you all from time to time.

Take care of yourselves :)

We'll miss you! :smith: