Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Traded a KLX250 that was not being ridden for this today. It's a '99 Suzuki Marauder 800 with pipes, jet kit, Corbin seat, mirror turn signals, new tires/chain/sprockets/battery last month, and painted in Honda Fit orange. Has a couple little cosmetic issues like a long but narrow dent in the tank, and some sketchy paint spots on the fender but it's SOLID. Motor sounds great and now I have to get used to a cruiser (my first). The forward controls are a big difference from every other bike I've owned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Fat tire cruisers > skinny front wheel cruisers.

I about dropped it the first time I rode a cruiser. When I went to put my feet up there was nothing there. You get used to it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Traded a KLX250 that was not being ridden for this today. It's a '99 Suzuki Marauder 800 with pipes, jet kit, Corbin seat, mirror turn signals, new tires/chain/sprockets/battery last month, and painted in Honda Fit orange. Has a couple little cosmetic issues like a long but narrow dent in the tank, and some sketchy paint spots on the fender but it's SOLID. Motor sounds great and now I have to get used to a cruiser (my first). The forward controls are a big difference from every other bike I've owned.

Love the color. Good looking cruiser!

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Nice looking bike and sounds like a solid trade. I have always hated forward controls, myself.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Bought this last week after completing the MSF.

DSC_0439.jpg by liam3012, on Flickr

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

doomisland posted:

What's up CBR500R buddy :hfive:? How has it been? It's my first bike and I've been loving it. Did my first sorta long trip this past Friday, Phoenix to Payson and back. almost 200 miles round trip, all of it great. I got the red one, though I kind of wish I got the tricolor like you, or even black. I liked them all and it was a hard choice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

doomisland posted:

Sharp looking bike. Congrats.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
Traded my xr250L for a 86 CB450sc today. Pretty clean and completely stock and original down to the exhaust and airbox.

Pulled the fairing and bug eyes off though, not my thing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You should have mirrors on your motorcycle, no matter if it doesn't look cool or not.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You only need one to be legal in a lot of states, and that little mini-fairing is awesome.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm starting to understand why they call them UJMs. I wonder if they were suing the hell out of each in the 80s for copying off each other so blatantly.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

thylacine posted:

You should have mirrors on your motorcycle, no matter if it doesn't look cool or not.

Yeah, I rode a bike once with no mirrors for about 30 minutes in traffic. It was pretty unsettling. I like to know exactly where every car in a 100ft radius around me is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nsaP posted:

You only need one to be legal in a lot of states, and that little mini-fairing is awesome.

Actually, as far as mini fairings and shields go, yeah, that was about as good as possible. Put the mirrors back on as minimum, but that shield was a far ways from a vetter or windjammer.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

What's up CBR500R buddy :hfive:? How has it been? It's my first bike and I've been loving it. Did my first sorta long trip this past Friday, Phoenix to Payson and back. almost 200 miles round trip, all of it great. I got the red one, though I kind of wish I got the tricolor like you, or even black. I liked them all and it was a hard choice.

I've only been putting around. Need to get some trips on it I think. So far since it's just been around town I've only taken it to 4th gear and ~50 mph. So far though I've been liking it, hasn't been a chore to drive though sometimes when upshifting from 1st I throw it in N.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

doomisland posted:

I've only been putting around. Need to get some trips on it I think. So far since it's just been around town I've only taken it to 4th gear and ~50 mph. So far though I've been liking it, hasn't been a chore to drive though sometimes when upshifting from 1st I throw it in N.

I'm at 1500 miles and I still do this too, sometimes I slip and sometimes I just don't hit it hard enough, but the noise is terrible. I frequently do around 70 in 6th gear while on the freeway and on my ride back from Payson I was able to hit 100.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

I think I'm starting to understand why they call them UJMs. I wonder if they were suing the hell out of each in the 80s for copying off each other so blatantly.

Funnily enough no. Part of it was because there was very little actually original on them (the point of them was that they did what existing bikes did just without exploding) but mostly because the current toxic environment of using "patent protection" as a way to suppress competition is a very recent (mostly post-dotcom-boom) phenomenon.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm at 1500 miles and I still do this too, sometimes I slip and sometimes I just don't hit it hard enough, but the noise is terrible. I frequently do around 70 in 6th gear while on the freeway and on my ride back from Payson I was able to hit 100.

Shift with authority.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough no. Part of it was because there was very little actually original on them (the point of them was that they did what existing bikes did just without exploding) but mostly because the current toxic environment of using "patent protection" as a way to suppress competition is a very recent (mostly post-dotcom-boom) phenomenon.

Plus when you read or look at any press material from the time there's this acknowledgement that that's pretty much what every bike was supposed to look like and companies like ducati and moto guzzi were being special unicorn flowers doing things differently for no apparent reason. It'd be like asking why the big car companies don't sue eachother because corolla looks like altima looks like mondeo looks like astra looks like lancer.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
It's getting a single bar end mirror like my last bike that I rode for 5 years. A 1978 CB750. I don't rely on mirrors. I look where I want to go before I merge.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

So I posted in the sumo thread about maybe getting a sumo. Went to check the bike out on saturday and suddenly my wallet is $3300AU lighter (linked cause it's a 1MB unresized photo). First order of business is getting rid of the stupid stickers on it, then getting it registered and getting some gear, then I've got a two week wait till I can get my license and actually ride it on road.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

shootme posted:

Traded my xr250L for a 86 CB450sc today. Pretty clean and completely stock and original down to the exhaust and airbox.

Pulled the fairing and bug eyes off though, not my thing.

Haha holy poo poo, they sure got some mileage out of their parts designs - my 2006 VTR 250 has the exact same mirrors as this bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

shootme posted:

It's getting a single bar end mirror like my last bike that I rode for 5 years. A 1978 CB750. I don't rely on mirrors. I look where I want to go before I merge.

Mirrors aren't just for merging. Situational awareness is not a bad thing.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My bike came without mirrors and it was pretty scary standing still at a light like that.

Also my parents' neighbor has like 5 of those Nighthawk 450s, he buys them for next to nothing, sometimes even gets them for free, says they're indestructible.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

slidebite posted:

Mirrors aren't just for merging. Situational awareness is not a bad thing.

This. I switched the position of my mirrors to below my handlebars and was completely thrown off every time I checked to see what was going on behind me since they weren't where I was expecting them to be. Not having a view of the situation behind you is a bit unsettling. Now I'm used to their new position and all is well with the world again.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have my mirrors at different angles- one is for checking the fast lane before passing, and the other is for directly behind me. Looks funny but it works pretty well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Fifty Three posted:

I have my mirrors at different angles- one is for checking the fast lane before passing, and the other is for directly behind me. Looks funny but it works pretty well.

I thought that was the standard way of doing it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I just move my head to get a different angle on the mirror. I usually have to do that anyways since I can't seem to get them positioned just right at rest.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

On my DRZ my mirrors are constantly shifting due to vibrations and the occasional drop, so any time I can see something behind me is a good thing. Great FOV though, too bad they're so ugly.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

On my DRZ my mirrors are constantly shifting due to vibrations and the occasional drop, so any time I can see something behind me is a good thing. Great FOV though, too bad they're so ugly.

Funny, the mirrors (utility, not looks) are my biggest gripe about the DRZ. I have to do like Fifty Three and have one for each job, where on my concours when they're adjusted right I feel like I can see almost 180 behind me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
This is not me. But my bike looked like that. It had the best mirrors ever.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Nnnngh. I loving love Tricolor VFR's. That's a gorgeous bike man.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
I might have just bought an MSX125

So much fun riding it home.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Let the grom reviews begin!

Start with a pic of you sitting on it for a bit of perspective, if you don't mind. I have an idea, but it's hard to tell in pics sometimes, and who knows how tall their video demo riders were? Could have been Pedrosa.

Also, what'd that run OTD if you don't mind?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Even better, do you live anywhere near Splizwarf

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Have you wheelied it yet?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Can you pick it up off the ground?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Does it fit in your pocket? :)

I want one but I live in San Diego and there is no way of getting around a lot of highway driving.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005

I'm like 5'9" maybe 5'10" when I sit up straight. It was £2600 on the road. Which included road tax and first registration etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Twozzok posted:

I'm like 5'9" maybe 5'10" when I sit up straight. It was £2600 on the road. Which included road tax and first registration etc.

Hey man I think Interpol are after you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Or possibly Dick Tracy.