Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DecayDOA
Jun 3, 2013

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Geop posted:

One thing that I am confused about in the recipe used here is that it didn't call for the butter to be creamed/whipped (well, Mama's recipe did). It really helps make a difference in baked stuff :shobon: Makes the texture more appealing, from what I've seen. Slice butter in to tiny pieces (increase surface area, meaning it'll get to room temperature faster), then mix for a bit to get it all gooey and creamy. Lots of pastries and breads call for this mixed with sugar in the earlier stages of the recipes.

For breads and the like it can be useful, but you don't want to do that when making a pie crust. You want to keep your butter cold and the dough not TOO smooth by the end, so that the pie crust comes out flaky instead of hard. It's similar to the reason you don't want biscuit dough to be smooth.

Anyway, this is a great series so far, and I'm gonna toss in another vote for borscht. I loving love borscht.

DecayDOA fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explanations!

With Mama's demo, the fork thing! That's called docking the dough. You do it to minimize steam from the liquid in the dough. It's more useful for when you're blind, or pre-baking, your crust.

Peppercorns! White pepper is actually riper, older pepper. It *does* have the outer layer of husk removed. It is milder, and a little mustier going by some tastes. I'm also a fan of just using black pepper. It's typically used when you're making say, a white sauce, you don't want to "ruin" the appearance of with black pepper flecks.

I also recommend making your pie dough by hand, than with a mixer or whatever else you may have mechanical. It's a good thing to get a feel for. Butter is good for flavor, shortening is good for more stable crust. There's more I could say on this topic but I'll hold off unless someone wants to hear more, like flaky v tender crusts.

:chef::respek::eng101:

e - hey, blood sausage! It's sausage thickened with blood, since Mico didn't say in the video! It's a really good thickener. I've never tried it myself yet though. And yes, do use chorizo, it's delicious.

And the talk about separating yolks from whites. It's not recommended to use the shell, since that's where the salmonella *might* be if there is any in the egg. They're also, yknow, touched by people looking through the eggs at the store. The way Mico did it was actually a pretty good way of doing things if you don't want to touch raw egg, though I prefer separating them by hand myself.

e2 - wash your oven controls, Mico! :argh:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 12, 2013

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Manuel Calavera posted:

Explanations!

With Mama's demo, the fork thing! That's called docking the dough. You do it to minimize steam from the liquid in the dough. It's more useful for when you're blind, or pre-baking, your crust.

Don't you usually dock pastries, pies with a top crust, crusts on meat, or other doughs that are gonna have a lot of room for steam to build up and burst out? Pie dough's pretty thin stuff when it goes in for blind baking.

Note: I say this as a guy who loves cooking but is mostly terrified of baking.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Manuel Calavera posted:

And the talk about separating yolks from whites. It's not recommended to use the shell, since that's where the salmonella *might* be if there is any in the egg. They're also, yknow, touched by people looking through the eggs at the store. The way Mico did it was actually a pretty good way of doing things if you don't want to touch raw egg, though I prefer separating them by hand myself

Ah yeah, I knew I forgot about something important. Skipped my mind since all the eggs I buy get an extra washing at home just for this reason.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daeren posted:

Don't you usually dock pastries, pies with a top crust, crusts on meat, or other doughs that are gonna have a lot of room for steam to build up and burst out? Pie dough's pretty thin stuff when it goes in for blind baking.

Note: I say this as a guy who loves cooking but is mostly terrified of baking.

That too, yeah. Blind baking is also done for things like custard pies, where you're not going to cook the filling after your pie is filled. Meringues too, depending.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

I didn't know that baking was so popular among people with vision impairments.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

I didn't know that baking was so popular among people with vision impairments.

:rimshot:

But looking at the recipe for it, borscht looks pretty interesting and possibly tasty. I think I should change my vote to this.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The Quiche looked delicious, I'm jealous, though I cringed a little bit when the half-and-half was added to the eggs. I know this isn't the Goon Doctor, but does anyone else have problems with horrible intestinal cramping/gas when eggs are cooked with milk? I can eat cooked eggs while drinking milk, eat raw eggs mixed with milk, cook eggs with cheese, or butter, but somehow eggs + milk + heat = a dark ancient evil awakening in my bowels.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Excellent info.

Neat that there are a number of people in the thread with real cooking knowledge and talent. It's great to learn new stuff!

Mico, how'd you decide on the quiche recipe? Just a fan of Emeril Lagasse or did you look through a bunch of different ones? I was under the impression the most common kind of quiche was spinach; this is the first time I've seen one with ground sausage.

Although borscht might be tasty if you like beets, I'll vote fore Stuffed Peppers because there's a bunch of different ingredients you can use and I'm interested in seeing which ones Cooking Mama / Mico pick.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 12, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ProfessorBooty posted:

The Quiche looked delicious, I'm jealous, though I cringed a little bit when the half-and-half was added to the eggs. I know this isn't the Goon Doctor, but does anyone else have problems with horrible intestinal cramping/gas when eggs are cooked with milk? I can eat cooked eggs while drinking milk, eat raw eggs mixed with milk, cook eggs with cheese, or butter, but somehow eggs + milk + heat = a dark ancient evil awakening in my bowels.
I've never encountered this. You poor soul, can you just not eat French toast? :ohdear:

Also echoing what that guy above said. Wash your drat kitchen, Mico! :argh: (That quiche looked loving delicious, I'm always a loser and make it with premade crust.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cook professionally, and I have a culinary degree. That's how I know these things. I'll be happy to interject after videos. Or of course if anyone has questions. :3:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Beef stroganoff

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Also echoing what that guy above said. Wash your drat kitchen, Mico! :argh: (That quiche looked loving delicious, I'm always a loser and make it with premade crust.)

If we get him to make borscht then his kitchen will just get dirtier.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I'm a little baffled why the Emeril recipe wants 2 yolks and then 2 whole eggs. I suppose that's to make it richer? I dunno; the recipe I use is just 4 eggs. Although I'm certain the recipe I use is just from Allrecipes or whatever, I don't remember, so maybe that is a better way to do it.

Also, man I need to make quiche again...

Oh, and I vote Gnocchi because I've never been able to make any that I've liked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

e - hey, blood sausage! It's sausage thickened with blood, since Mico didn't say in the video! It's a really good thickener. I've never tried it myself yet though.

Try it, it's great. Blood gives it a really rich almost earthy slightly umami flavor. Seriously if anyone reading this is put off trying blood sausage because it has blood in it, don't be. It tastes nothing like fresh blood and is in fact delicious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mico posted:

Bacon Sausage and Chorizo Quiche
Cooking Mama 2: Cooking With Friends

Mushrooms are high in glutamate, which is the source of the savory deliciousness that is umani, the so-called "fifth flavor."

No flavor, my rear end.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm gonna throw in a vote for stuffed peppers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Mushrooms are high in glutamate, which is the source of the savory deliciousness that is umani, the so-called "fifth flavor."

No flavor, my rear end.

There are so many kinds of edible mushroom it's kind of dumb to go making statements about how mushrooms taste generally. There are mushrooms that taste of very little.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Try it, it's great. Blood gives it a really rich almost earthy slightly umami flavor. Seriously if anyone reading this is put off trying blood sausage because it has blood in it, don't be. It tastes nothing like fresh blood and is in fact delicious.

How do you know what what fresh blood tastes like...:drac:

Gnocchi looks interesting.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
It has to be borscht.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Let's talk a bit about pastry, because I like talking about food, espcially baking.

Pastry is made from flour and butter/shortening, sometimes adding milk, eggs, sugar or baking powder. Lard is considered the best fat for making good pastry with good flavour but it's kind of a bad word these days.

It's best to make pastry using pastry/cake flour, as it has less protein and gives the final product a more tender crumb. If you've ever had a cake baked with all purpose flour and compared it to one made with cake flour the difference is amazing.

There's five main types of pastry according to Wikipedia:
Short

Chicken and mushroom pie

What Mico made for the quiche. I've never encountered a short pastry made with a mixer, typically you rub/cut cold, cubed butter in flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, then add just enough water to make it stick together. By my understanding, "short" refers to how quickly the pastry breaks when you bite into it. Kneading it like a bread dough leads to gluten development, which makes the pastry less short and more chewy. Less gluten development = better pastry. A good short pastry should practically shatter into buttery goodness when you look at it.

For a sweetcrust pastry just add some sugar, but you don't really need it given how much sugar goes into a sweet filling. Also used for tarts and some pies.

Chocolate ganache tart

Lemon meringue pie

Puff

Croissant innards
Does what it says on the label; it puffs up when you bake it. This is done by rolling out a raised dough, typically a yeasted dough, with a square of butter in the middle. You roll and fold this out many times, making a lot of layers. When it bakes the water in the butter evaporates, creating the layers. The best known example of this kind of pastry is the croissant. It's honestly a pain in the arse to make at home, so watch this instead for how it's made at commercial bakeries.

The cronut(croissant-doughnut) is made using this technique, but the dough used is more like a brioche dough rather than the traditional croissant dough.

If you want to make croissants, here's a good idea on how to make them at home.

Savoury palmiers

Vol-au-vent

Flaky

Do you know how much of a nightmare googling for 'flaky pastry recipe' is? You get all the 'flaky puff pastry recipes' and no actual flaky pastry recipe. That's probably because, to most, flaky and puff are practically the same thing. This sums up the technique pretty nicely though.

Flaky pastry is commonly touted as a "fast" puff pastry, as it's a similar technique to making puff that's no nowhere near as laborious. There's plenty of food processor "puff" pastry recipes out there that provide good flaky results and can be mistaken for puff. It starts off the same as a short pastry, rubbing flour into butter until breadcrumb consistency and adding enough water to get it all to stick. This is then rolled out into a rectangle, and small cubes of butter are dotted around. The dough is then folded and rolled out, the same as a puff pastry.

The difference here, is that puff pastry has very distinct layers, while flaky pastry is a bit of a mess. Here's an awful Paint job that kinda gets the point across:

Of course, it all tastes the same once you eat it. Flaky pastry is used for pasties and sausage rolls.

Choux

Cream puff

Choux is a bit of an odd ball as a pastry, as it involves eggs, and cooking the dough on the stove. When baking these they form a large cavity that can be filled with all sorts of goodness. The large amount of moisture in the dough evaporates as it bakes, leaving behind a crisp shell. You'd know this as the stuff used for eclairs, cream puffs, and for French crullers.

It's actually really easy to make and should be everyone's first pastry. I like this recipe here, but instead of frying the dough, preheat an oven to 425°F/220°C then reduce the temperature to 350°F/180°C when baking. Bake for 30-35 minutes and when they're done, poke a hole in the choux so the steam can escape.

Coffee eclair

Phyllo (Filo)
I have never made filo pastry, because it seems like too much effort when you can easily buy decent frozen stuff. It's used in Middle Eastern/Balkan cooking, and doesn't have nearly the amount of butter as the other four. It's made using an unleavened dough, which is kneaded to hell to develop gluten, then rolled and then eventually stretched out to paper thin layers. The pastry is brushed with melted butter and more pastry is laid on top, continuing this process until enough layers have been achieved. You get a really nice, crunchy and flaky pastry from this.

It's probably best known for its use in making baklava. I'll hand over the technical side of making this to someone who knows better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Genocyber posted:

How do you know what what fresh blood tastes like...:drac:

Gnocchi looks interesting.

has anyone seriously not tasted blood? Never had a nosebleed? Bit your lip?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Arglebargle III posted:

has anyone seriously not tasted blood? Never had a nosebleed? Bit your lip?

Lost a tooth, or had one taken out? You'll be tasting blood for days after either.

Blood has a very distinct and recognizable flavor, as well--coppery and salty. Not many foods feature copper as a flavor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyway the point is that cooked blood tastes really different and is great especially in sausage.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

yoshesque posted:

It's probably best known for its use in making balaclava.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

To be fair, I make that mistake constantly, albeit in the other direction (and rarely out loud, mostly since I don't ever really encounter either).

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Borscht. Maybe my Ukrainian friend was just screwing with me, but every time I visited we had borscht, each time with something different as the white that you put in the middle before you serve it. Mayo, plain yogurt, white sauce, and a couple other things that I can't remember at the moment

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, I make that mistake constantly, albeit in the other direction (and rarely out loud, mostly since I don't ever really encounter either).
I manually inserted the typo in the quotebox :ninja: Yoshesque got it, but that's what I interpreted it as!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Speaking of the games themselves I have to ask:
Would anyone else besides me buy a drink mixing spin off?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

yoshesque posted:

Pictures of delicious food I can't eat. :argh:

You are a monster. Though it was really neat to hear about the different kinds of pastry dough. Despite being familiar with eclairs and crullers and such, I had never actually heard the term "Choux" before. I'm also surprised at the sheer amount of work that goes into making some of this things.

Mico, do your roommates know you're cooking things for this thread? It would be great to hear their reactions or thoughts about what you're making, particularly if it's something new or exotic.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Skippy Granola posted:

Man I have the same mixer. I'm pretty sure if you set it to max it'll open a wormhole.

Good episode. I think I'll make a quiche this week

I am too afraid to set it to 2. The highest setting is 5.

CatsPajamas posted:

You are a monster. Though it was really neat to hear about the different kinds of pastry dough. Despite being familiar with eclairs and crullers and such, I had never actually heard the term "Choux" before. I'm also surprised at the sheer amount of work that goes into making some of this things.

Mico, do your roommates know you're cooking things for this thread? It would be great to hear their reactions or thoughts about what you're making, particularly if it's something new or exotic.

Both my roommates are goons actually (one of them even posted in the thread, he's Dalton)

Adrian only posts in BFC and I'm not even sure what his SA username is.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That Engrish is so Grating on the ears.

They really should have had a native english speaker do the VA for the english version.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Here is some things that I know from the quiche episode:
Shredded cheese (especially stuff from kraft) has cornstarch on it, and in my opinion has a lesser than shredded from a good solid cheese.

Now on your pie crust you made, I prefer to do the two step butter addition; where you add both warm and cold butter, making the crust both flaky and tender. As for separating the egg yokes from whites, really one of the easiest ways is to use your fingers, you can control the flow of whites easier and keeps from egg yoke specks from getting into the whites. Freeze the whites cause they are useful.

Things you can make with Egg Whites:
Foams, Meringues, Angel Food Cake, Macaroons, Key Lime Pies, Souffles and a ton of other uses.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

I want to! I just haven't had the chance to yet!

yoshesque posted:

Let's talk a bit about pastry

This is an excellent post. I was going to make that point about the quiche crust but I didn't want to make my post to long. And I was tired so I couldn't have said it as well.

I'll also second Scarybagels. Shred your own cheese next time, it'll taste even better! If you use chorizo again, find and use some Chihuahua cheese! Good stuff, nice and melty, and a little Cojita for extra flavor. It's like Mexican feta.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mico posted:

I am too afraid to set it to 2. The highest setting is 5.

Set up a tarp in the kitchen and make a bonus video :v:

I'm sitting here eating dry cereal for lunch while watching this, and I'm feeling kind of inadequate.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well since Borscht seems to be winning I decided to pull out an old cookbook of ours: "наша кухня"(our cuisine in bulgarian) printed in 1966.
It's an old tome that leaves more to your imagination than not since there are barely any photos on its pages. And the cover is only holding together because of extensive repairs. Instead you find lots of recipes from the olden times before convenience food ruined how we eat. Everything assumes you make it from scratch and there is very little hand holding going on. To be fair the "basics" are covered in a chapter before the recipes and I'll never translate several pages just for one loving recipe :v:.
So let's dive straight into it to the first of its several Borscht recipes as faithfully reproduced as I could manage those fuckers ommited several ingredients found only in the instructions as well as never tell you what to do with the cabbage. I had to wing it a bit to make it less opaque:

Moscow style Borscht:

Ingredients per portion:
- 40g beef
- 20g ham
- 20g sausage
- 100g bones
- 80g beetroot
- 80g cabbage
- 20g carrots
- 20g onion
- 5g tomato paste
- 5g flour
- 10g cream

poo poo you also need:
- Bay leaf
- paprika I'd recommend 2 tbsps for the amount Mico would cook(No amount given you're supposed to be a bulgarian homemaker who cooks almost daily with that stuff, anyways.)
- sugar, vinegar, salt, parsley to taste

Boil the meats in the stock you made with the bones or go buy beef stock if you are a wuss. :smug:
(The time the beef takes to become tender depends on the cut you use, of course so start it early enough!)
Anyway, saute the beetroot(boil and peel beforehand, seriously do this. If you peel them raw they'll release all their colour into the stew and look really gross.) and tomato paste with some sugar(chose your own fat!). Add the cabbage, carrots, onions and flour to the pan.
When it's ready transfer all of that into the pot with the meat. Add the bay leaf, paprika, salt and chopped parsley.
Literally cook until ready. What, you expected someone to tell you the time it takes? Can you even afford a clock, peasant? (simmer for about 30 minutes.)
Serve each portion with a dab of cream in the middle or even sprinkle a few drops of vinegar over it.
Enjoy your soviet feast!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

It's almost assuredly outside the scope of this LP but I love the idea of digging up decades old cookbooks and having someone try to follow the recipes and see what comes out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AriadneThread posted:

It's almost assuredly outside the scope of this LP but I love the idea of digging up decades old cookbooks and having someone try to follow the recipes and see what comes out.

My mother has a metric shitton of old tattered cookbooks she inherited from her mother, I might see if I can get a hold of some of them.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Post them in GWS, start a thread! We love e that kinda thing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I thought gnocchi was just a type of vaguely pasta-ish dumpling so I'm interested to see what Cooking Mama seems to think makes it a dish in its own right.

• Locked thread