Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's gotta be someone good because we haven't heard who it is yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would imagine Vin has to be doing something more than just the voice work. I mean the only thing Groot says is "I am Groot" and him saying that with a different inflection each time would probably be a waste of money. He'd have to be doing some kind of motion capture work too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've got to imagine that at this point, you don't hire Vin Diesel if all you want is a bassy voice, you hire Vin Diesel if you want a big lumbering presence to go along with that bassy voice.

tut
Nov 4, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

It's gotta be someone good because we haven't heard who it is yet.

I've read a few different rumors that Marvel is looking to cast an A-lister for the role. Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Bruce Willis level A-lister. Not that I'd like any of those.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Did you forget Bruce Willis' voice acting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOB_MqcaZHw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tut posted:

I've read a few different rumors that Marvel is looking to cast an A-lister for the role. Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Bruce Willis level A-lister. Not that I'd like any of those.

Yeah, no. Unless they're planning to kill Rocket Raccoon off in the movie, they'll likely want someone they can sign on for multiple movies cheap. Maybe Johnny Depp, but that's just because of how badly Lone Ranger did.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, no. Unless they're planning to kill Rocket Raccoon off in the movie, they'll likely want someone they can sign on for multiple movies cheap. Maybe Johnny Depp, but that's just because of how badly Lone Ranger did.

Unless they're planning on the movie being a huge hit, in which case a big name will multiply earnings and a big contract will pay for itself.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

The MSJ posted:

Did you forget Bruce Willis' voice acting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOB_MqcaZHw

don't forget his classic cartoon Bruno the Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8kbmhcxT7Y

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

scary ghost dog posted:

Unless they're planning on the movie being a huge hit, in which case a big name will multiply earnings and a big contract will pay for itself.

Marvel is planning on the movie being a big hit because they've had 6 hits, and none of them have relied on name recognition except the Iron Man sequels. The big name in this case is "Marvel Pictures"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh wow, I was actually at Blackfriars yesterday while they were filming GotG nearby but had no idea that's what the annoying helicopter hovering around the river was up to.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's some leaked GOTG footage and it looks fantastic

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=85268

Dacap fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 12, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm down. It doesn't look like the case but I would also be down with Tom Cruise as Rocket Raccoon only if he does the mo-cap, acting like a raccoon except when he runs hard as gently caress.

EDIT: John C. Reilly is with the Nova Force. Awesome. I hope he's Richard Ryder or something, I'd enjoy a movie where he's the hero.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 12, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks way different from all the other Marvel movies. Lots of aliens and weird stuff and a lighthearted tone. Also Chris Pratt.

e: does the story take place in London or is it just filming there?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 12, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It looks so colourful and fun! This is the best way they could've approached the premise and I'm looking forward to it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gatts posted:

I'm down. It doesn't look like the case but I would also be down with Tom Cruise as Rocket Raccoon only if he does the mo-cap, acting like a raccoon except when he runs hard as gently caress.

EDIT: John C. Reilly is with the Nova Force. Awesome. I hope he's Richard Ryder or something, I'd enjoy a movie where he's the hero.

He's a character called Rhonnan Dey

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Dacap posted:

Here's some leaked GOTG footage and it looks fantastic

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=85268

That looks way better than I expected. I'm cautiously optimistic. I read a lot of comics as a kid, but have never even heard of most of these guys outside of Drax and Nova... Actually, that looks really, really good. I'm genuinely excited for this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In case you were late getting to it's already down. I found this link though. We'll see how long it lasts.

http://highhrothgar.tumblr.com/post/58070749454

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

EDIT: Never mind. Thanks!

That looks fantastic.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 12, 2013

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm starting look forward more and more to Guardians of the Galaxy, though I only know a few characters from crossover stories (like Drax and Gamora). The more I see or hear of it, the more I like it. And Chris Pratt is a hilarious guy.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
That footage looks way better than I thought it possibly could. Can't wait to see a full length trailer for this thing.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Mu Zeta posted:

e: does the story take place in London or is it just filming there?

Just filming there. It sounds like only a tiny bit takes place on Earth (possibly Star Lord's brief origin story) and the rest in space.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I had absolutely no exposure to Guardians of the Galaxy until just this week when I picked up 4 issues of the newest storyline in comics and it's actually really enjoyable. It's basically just a big space adventure, quite unlike any of the other Marvel Movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
GOTG looks to be benefitting, as I expected, from no one knowing or caring who the characters are.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

GOTG looks to be benefitting, as I expected, from no one knowing or caring who the characters are.

Yeah, James Gunn is a more interesting writer/director than Marvel has brought in before, and that's presumably because they're not as worried about him wrecking something they're counting on being a franchise. Edgar Wright and Ant Man would be a similar case. And Chris Pratt is the most entertaining actor who wasn't in Zodiac that they've cast as one of the heroes.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It could also be that, so far, it looks accurate enough to the comics that there isn't anything to bitch about. So if your expectation was that not loving with the source material would lead to less bitching, then you, my friend, are correct.

These characters aren't that iconic, so really all you need to do is get the look and general personality traits right. This movie is easymode comic book movie making, so long as you embrace the concept.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, from what I can see, it's really close, but none of those characters in particular have any cachet whatsoever so there's nothing for anyone to bitch about except GOTG diehards (if they even exist?) There's a lot of freedom in that and they seem to be using it well, there's no "bible" considered unimpeachable so it feels really loose.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
Is that from ComicCon or D23? Cause if that's the ComicCon footage, they were only ten days into filming when they put that together, which is pretty amazing for how great that looks.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I have never been more excited for rocket raccoon in my life:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I am officially a Rocket Raccoon fan now. Holy poo poo this is going to be good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty excited for the millions of people catching on the what most of us here have known for so long, how awesome RR is.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Ghosthotel posted:

I have never been more excited for rocket raccoon in my life:

I'm more excited for this movie than I am for Avengers and Superman/Batman.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty excited for the millions of people catching on the what most of us here have known for so long, how awesome RR is.

What are you talking about? He's terrible. He has no real pressure, he's a zone character in a game where rushdown is king, and even assuming you can set up his trap combo his damage isn't at all on par with how much work you put into him compared to characters like Magneto or Hawkeye.

<checks notes> Oh you mean in film. Yeah, RR is awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He looks like one of the Green Lanterns. I'm not familiar with the Guardians and he looks ridiculous in a good way.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mu Zeta posted:

He looks like one of the Green Lanterns. I'm not familiar with the Guardians and he looks ridiculous in a good way.

Raccoons and chipmunks are totally different. :flashfact:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Raccoons and chipmunks are totally different. :flashfact:

Nobody is talking about Ch'p, we're talking about B'rr

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yeah RR might actually be the MOST recognizable of the characters with his appearance in UMVC3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There wasn't even any really Groot footage in there either, was there? Besides seeing some of him in the lineup?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

There wasn't even any really Groot footage in there either, was there? Besides seeing some of him in the lineup?

Rocket riding a big Groot here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Rocket riding a big Groot here.

I totally missed that part. That loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Glenn Close as Nova Prime

• Locked thread