Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah, I guess when you think about it the old money Wasps in those $48 million houses for those neighborhoods all got replaced with Google millionaires/lawyers/hedge fund douches from the East Coast that all drive Priuses and fly on private jets to vacation in rain forests.

They've all traded their Priuses for Teslas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's wildfire season in SoCal again and there's a big fire that's been burning near my coworker's house in Lake Elsinore. This was snapped by someone the other day of the firefighting near his home.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

rope kid posted:

Living in Huntington Beach was horrible for many reasons, one of which was being represented by Dana Rohrabacher. :barf:

For the past few years I've lived near South Coast Plaza, on the border between Costa Mesa and Santa Ana (technically Santa Ana). Before the redistricting, all of SCP was hilariously gerrymandered. The district map literally cut out single blocks of high-wealth residences and excluded them from the larger Santa Ana district. After the redistricting, I'm in Loretta Sanchez' district (46th). :w00t:

Thanks, Citizens Redistricting Commission.

Sup fellow OC resident that use to be represented by a horrible poo poo lord (Ed Royce in my case) but is now in Sanchez's district. :hfive:

Since the fair is going on right now it's always fun to re-register at the democratic party booth there just to be smug as poo poo while the people in the republican booth (usually next to it) glare.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Gosh that sounds familiar. Do they count as a full person or some fraction. 3/5 maybe?

I figured San Benito County for being pretty red. You drive into Hollister on 25 and you see this:

Everything > 10 miles from the California Coast = Nevada/Arizona/Texas

EDIT: ^^^^ holy crap I had no idea they used passenger level jets for fire drops now. Always thought they stuck with C-130's at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwS8Gv27J8

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 9, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Keyser S0ze posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ holy crap I had no idea they used passenger level jets for fire drops now. Always thought they stuck with C-130's at most.

It's still pretty rare. The DC-10 is either a one-off or nearly a one-off, likewise with the Evergreen 747. I believe there's an effort underway to convert a bunch of BAe-146 regional jets (four engines, good takeoff performance, but way way smaller) into fire tankers but as far as I know only one or two are operational so far.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StandardVC10 posted:

It's still pretty rare. The DC-10 is either a one-off or nearly a one-off, likewise with the Evergreen 747. I believe there's an effort underway to convert a bunch of BAe-146 regional jets (four engines, good takeoff performance, but way way smaller) into fire tankers but as far as I know only one or two are operational so far.

There are two, and they're based out of Victorville.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bullet-delays-20130812,0,4180504.story

Please just build it please

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nm posted:

Depends. We have a somewhat higher than average income tax, but property taxes are probably the lowest in the nation unless some state doesn't have property tax. Prop 13 especially insures that anyone (or their family) who bought property in the 80s or earlier, pays almost no property tax. This applies to companies too. Property values can only be re-assessed up if the property is sold to a non family member. The best part is that if you sell a business that owns property, that property stays assessed at old values. Companies create corporations for the sole purpose of holding a single large property, then instead of selling the property they sell the holding company.
California tax is hosed up, and most of it can be linked to prop 13 and the huge holes it creates.

That said, we allegedly have a budget surplus this year. Many of the inland counties are still hosed though.
Fun fact: This is also why my fellow California 20/30 somethings are giving up on home buying in droves. Its also why you can see a 4 lane freeway full of poor bastards driving into the bay area on the 580 every morning from Tracy. Your choices are 1) make a poo poo load of money working in the bay but be unable or unwilling to spend 3/4 of a million on a decent 3 bedroom condo, 2) make regular money and spend 300k on a 4 bedroom tract home in Methdesto, or 3) make a poo poo load working in the bay and spend 300k on a 4 bedroom tract home in Methdesto (ok, Tracy), but 4-5 hours commuting to work as your soul dies a little bit each morning. 1800+ a month for a niceish 2 bedroom apartment in Mountain View lololol.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sup fellow OC resident that use to be represented by a horrible poo poo lord (Ed Royce in my case) but is now in Sanchez's district. :hfive:

Since the fair is going on right now it's always fun to re-register at the democratic party booth there just to be smug as poo poo while the people in the republican booth (usually next to it) glare.

Redistricting didn't do poo poo for me. I just went from one right-wing shitlord to another. :smith:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Oh opposition in the Central Valley you say????

The signs along I-5 all through the Central Valley have made me assume that the people who put them up are all essentially the ornery idiot farmers from Polanski's Chinatown.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rope kid posted:

The signs along I-5 all through the Central Valley have made me assume that the people who put them up are all essentially the ornery idiot farmers from Polanski's Chinatown.

They're not idiots for perpetrating the best welfare scam in history.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FCKGW posted:

It's wildfire season in SoCal again and there's a big fire that's been burning near my coworker's house in Lake Elsinore. This was snapped by someone the other day of the firefighting near his home.

God forgive me.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Dusseldorf posted:

They're not idiots for perpetrating the best welfare scam in history.
Which welfare scam are you talking about? 10 million people in so-cal living off water from the rest of the state (and other states)?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

cheese posted:

Which welfare scam are you talking about? 10 million people in so-cal living off water from the rest of the state (and other states)?

He's referring to the water-rights. Ya know, the thing chinatown is about.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

cheese posted:

1) make a poo poo load of money working in the bay but be unable or unwilling to spend 3/4 of a million on a decent 3 bedroom condo
I'd ask where you're finding such an amazing deal, but I know it's just going to be ruined by an $800+ HOA fee.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

etalian posted:

Find your county:

(Republicans hate the ocean)

Ahh, San Bernardino County. Hate gay people(Prop 8), weed and taxes, yet voted for Obama. How in the gently caress?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Ahh, San Bernardino County. Hate gay people(Prop 8), weed and taxes, yet voted for Obama. How in the gently caress?

Lots of poors and immigrants?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Lots of poors and immigrants?

Exactly, lots of people either priced out or sold their homes during the bubble and moved out to San Bernardino and Riverside county. The trains are packed with people commuting into Union Station every day.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

krysmopompas posted:

I'd ask where you're finding such an amazing deal, but I know it's just going to be ruined by an $800+ HOA fee.

God I can't stand HOA. Unless its a small build site, you can't find anything newish without an HOA. I'm currently not in a HOA but we have looked around in the past for another place. I don't care about a community pool or gate, and I don't need somebody bitching at me because I was working on my car. Nothin' like owning a home, but you really don't.
One of the biggest problem is we run a piano studio in our home, we took a front bedroom window and knocked it out and replaced it with a door so students don't have to come through the house. This wouldn't fly in a HOA and I would imagine that if we didn't put in a door, we would have a problems with the HOA frowning on the piano lessons in general.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bought my house in concord in December 2009 for $240,800. Prices fell further after that, and recently have recovered, and I'm now probably in the black on this purchase but not by a lot. Point is, it's possible to buy a decent house a lot closer to San Francisco than loving Tracy for a lot less than half a mil. I live a ten minute walk from the BART station; my wife's commute into the city (embarcadero) is about 1 hour, including the time spent walking to the station and waiting for a train.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Concord is pretty far away from everything.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

incoherent posted:

He's referring to the water-rights. Ya know, the thing chinatown is about.
I know, that was the joke :glomp:

Leperflesh posted:

I bought my house in concord in December 2009 for $240,800. Prices fell further after that, and recently have recovered, and I'm now probably in the black on this purchase but not by a lot. Point is, it's possible to buy a decent house a lot closer to San Francisco than loving Tracy for a lot less than half a mil. I live a ten minute walk from the BART station; my wife's commute into the city (embarcadero) is about 1 hour, including the time spent walking to the station and waiting for a train.
Concord is still pretty loving far away, especially if you are headed to a tech job in Palo Alto or Mountain View and BART won't work well. BART is great but its quite limited and the stations in the east bay are hit or miss (you might live a 10 minute walk from one or a PITA drive). And I was talking about the nice 4 bedroom/3 bathroom with a backyard American Dream home, which you won't find in Concord for under 350k (and which would be north of a million in that area).

Anyway, my point was not that you can't find ok housing on the outskirts of the bay area, but that many young workers (like myself) feel priced out of the market and are forced to make the choice of owning a home in Concord (no offense, but gently caress that) or renting a decent place at a high markup in San Mateo, Sunnyvale, Willow Glen, etc.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

withak posted:

Concord is pretty far away from everything.

You can hit up tommy t's "off of willow pass road, up in concord." Spaketh e-40.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A few months ago, a recruiter came down from Humboldt State (at the very end of the app period, for some reason) to San Diego. I went because Humboldt is my dream school (ie, not back home in SoCal), and because I was accepted in February. The presentation was preceeding along fine with some absurdly cheery alumini leading it, when one of the male aluminis gets the mic, and one of the first thing that come out of his mouth is :

"You may think that Humboldt is the number one county in California for the production of marijuanna. You are wrong. That dubious distinction goes to San Bernadino county. Humboldt is a distant second."

My mother and I exchanged raised eyebrows, and the statement got a chuckle from the room.

I imagine my next two years are going to have much partaking of the Mary jane in my future. That's ok. Move in date is next Monday. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, yeah, for sure if you work on the Peninsula south of Milbrae BART station and you had to drive to work daily, Concord is too far. I was more just saying that there's options that are closer than Tracy.

Also, Concord home values are still at a median of ~$370k. If you filter for 4-bedroom houses you still hit a median of $473k. That's the median, there's homes below that, although not, as you correctly say, much south of $350k.

cheese posted:

Anyway, my point was not that you can't find ok housing on the outskirts of the bay area, but that many young workers (like myself) feel priced out of the market and are forced to make the choice of owning a home in Concord (no offense, but gently caress that) or renting a decent place at a high markup in San Mateo, Sunnyvale, Willow Glen, etc.

Yeah. That's exactly where I was at for most of the 2000s. My wife and I rented a ~650 square foot house (cottage, really) with a separate garage for $1650 on the southern edge of Belmont. The financial crisis and housing price collapse was terrible, of course, but it presented me a unique opportunity to do something I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to do: buy a house in the bay area. My mortgage + taxes + homeowners insurance + PMI are less than what we were paying in rent, and my home is about 1200 square feet, with a two-car garage and a front and back yard, in a decent neighborhood.

It'd suck if I couldn't work from home (I'd have to seek work either in SF, or in the East Bay; gently caress commuting to Sunnyvale or something). As-the-crow-flies, Concord is still significantly closer than Tracy, and given the option of BART (and the widening of the caldecott tunnel, due to open this year), it's a lot less of a commute to SF and northern parts of the peninsula.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

A White Guy posted:

A few months ago, a recruiter came down from Humboldt State (at the very end of the app period, for some reason) to San Diego. I went because Humboldt is my dream school (ie, not back home in SoCal), and because I was accepted in February. The presentation was preceeding along fine with some absurdly cheery alumini leading it, when one of the male aluminis gets the mic, and one of the first thing that come out of his mouth is :

"You may think that Humboldt is the number one county in California for the production of marijuanna. You are wrong. That dubious distinction goes to San Bernadino county. Humboldt is a distant second."

My mother and I exchanged raised eyebrows, and the statement got a chuckle from the room.

I imagine my next two years are going to have much partaking of the Mary jane in my future. That's ok. Move in date is next Monday. :v:

Humbolt has nature, San Bernadino does not. Enjoy your stay!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A White Guy posted:

I hope you like rain, outdoor sports/hiking and hate Costco!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Did you forget there is an entire mountain range in SanBernardino? But yes the city is pure poo poo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

cheese posted:

That's ok. I'm a poster child for YLLS, so I think living in the cold (it hasn't gotten over sixty the whole week in Arcata) year round and hiking (I have my own gear :)) will help.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cheese posted:

Ah, paradise. Yeah, San Brenardino is the largest county in the US, largely enough to contain entire mountain ranges, deserts and urban areas in it (most of it is still terrible).

I guess Big Bear is pretty cool if you can accept artificial snow for it being so close to LA. Having usable beaches and skiing/snowboarding in the same metro area is kind of nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A White Guy posted:

Well no poo poo

Wikipedia posted:

With an area of 20,105 square miles, San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States by area. It is larger than each of the nine smallest states, larger than the four smallest states combined, and larger than 71 different sovereign nations.

Plus a large portion is barren nothingness and the prevalent grow houses in the urban areas (23 grow houses busted this year in my city of 50k!) then yeah, there's a lot of grow activity out here.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A White Guy posted:

That's ok. I'm a poster child for YLLS, so I think living in the cold (it hasn't gotten over sixty the whole week in Arcata) year round and hiking (I have my own gear :)) will help.
The Klamath Mountains are a really freaking awesome place to go backpacking/hiking with super varied terrain. The Big Bend section of the Pacific Coast Trail is there and its pretty great.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

No, don't build it. This is one of the few times where the Republicans are probably right. The bullet train, as currently planned, is really damned dumb and will be an expensive and miserable failure if completed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Bullet Train... Elon Musk of Paypal and Tesla Motors fame thinks he has a better idea.

If true, it sounds pretty baller; but it also sounds entirely pie-in-the-sky. That's some sci-fi poo poo. Still, it would be totally awesome.

It does have the additional probably of not being economically feasible over distances longer than 1000 miles, which ruins my dream of the Vancouver, BC to Tijuana line, with stops in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. :cry:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Speaking of the Bullet Train... Elon Musk of Paypal and Tesla Motors fame thinks he has a better idea.

If true, it sounds pretty baller; but it also sounds entirely pie-in-the-sky. That's some sci-fi poo poo. Still, it would be totally awesome.

It does have the additional probably of not being economically feasible over distances longer than 1000 miles, which ruins my dream of the Vancouver, BC to Tijuana line, with stops in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. :cry:

His claim that it's not economically feasible is to compare it to supersonic flight, which he considers feasible. Which it is, concorde was a thing, but nobody's doing it and for good reasons.

If your baseline of comparison is a thing nobody's doing, and you're claiming you need to be more economical and/or faster than that, you're not actually measuring your project against a real-world alternative.

e. Here's the actual paper, in PDF: http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/hyperloop_alpha-20130812.pdf
Read the abstract to understand just how totally pie-in-the-sky his idea actually is.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Northjayhawk posted:

No, don't build it. This is one of the few times where the Republicans are probably right. The bullet train, as currently planned, is really damned dumb and will be an expensive and miserable failure if completed.

I wish they would just spend those 68 billion dollars doing more useful transportation things. How about finally extending BART into the south bay and making it a complete loop?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ardennes posted:

Ah, paradise. Yeah, San Brenardino is the largest county in the US, largely enough to contain entire mountain ranges, deserts and urban areas in it (most of it is still terrible).

I guess Big Bear is pretty cool if you can accept artificial snow for it being so close to LA. Having usable beaches and skiing/snowboarding in the same metro area is kind of nice.

San Bernardino County is basically Texas with more gay people.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A White Guy posted:

I went because Humboldt is my dream school

I ask out of curiousity, not a diss. Why is Humboldt your dream school?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Welcome to Humboldt :). I'm in Eureka. Cool enough town if not a little scummy, but you may just fall in love with Arcata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Forceholy posted:

San Bernardino County is basically Texas with more gay people.

Our BBQ sucks.

• Locked thread