Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I just finished the Nahara mod, and it felt like a letdown compared to the actual machima itself. It felt pretty weird to set up all the characters and then have only 1 of them feature into the mod. I don't mind Quake action since the game itself has a gameplay...'purity' to it that makes purely action levels more palettable than most other games I've played...but for one of the big Quake mods it did feel like a bit of a letdown (Also the boss fights were poor, and the last one was just basically an arduous DM match)

Anyways I'm playing Quake 2 and did anybody actually enjoy fighting those mutants? because I just remember how terrible they are to fight. They have too much health, do too much damage, and they blend almost perfectly into the environment. They've also got an annoying as hell idle sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Other than Brutal Strife (which I really hope continues work after the next major Brutal Doom update is out), are there any general gameplay/visual enhancement mods for Strife? Doom has tons, Heretic has Heretic++, but arguably the Doom engine game in the most need of a little extra combat 'oomph' is the one without one.

SgtMarkIV stated that after Brutal Doom v0.19 release he's going to focus on Brutal Hexen and leave Doom for some time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Other than Brutal Strife (which I really hope continues work after the next major Brutal Doom update is out), are there any general gameplay/visual enhancement mods for Strife? Doom has tons, Heretic has Heretic++, but arguably the Doom engine game in the most need of a little extra combat 'oomph' is the one without one.
There really isn't much in the way of mods for Strife, because that game is basically held together with dental floss and prayer. See: hardcoded line specials like "Open Door If Gate Mech. Destroyed on map16", "Open Door If Quest (Y Offset)" and "Exit to Level (Tag %100,/100=map,spot)", the latter of which apparently works like this...

Someone who actually tried Strife mapping posted:

The tag determines both the map to warp to and the mapspot thing to jump to. Strife used the vanilla Doom map format, so there are no TIDs, meaning there are 12 unique mapspot things hardcoded in the game's mobj table. To jump to map11 spot 7, tag = 1107

It's strangely flexible in other areas though i.e. the convos system. DYK YOU CAN HAVE 27 UNIQUE PEASANTS WITH THEIR OWN SCRIPTED CONVERSATIONS PER MAP?????

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Who owns the rights to Strife, anyway? I was actually surprised that Shadow Warrior got released on both GOG.com and Steam due to its racist humor and all, yet Strife seems to have just vanished off the face of the earth.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who owns the rights to Strife, anyway? I was actually surprised that Shadow Warrior got released on both GOG.com and Steam due to its racist humor and all, yet Strife seems to have just vanished off the face of the earth.

This happened immediately after release - Velocity disappeared completely and no-one knows who owns the rights. IIRC some people from a Doom forum contacted John Carmack about it and even he has no idea.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who owns the rights to Strife, anyway?
Nobody knows. Velocity seemingly exploded almost instantly and Rogue Entertainment closed its doors after American McGee's Alice: An American McGee Game. Pretty much all the potential rights holders appear to be dead and buried, so its probably the closest anything's come to being actual abandonware (as opposed to just "old :filez:") in a long time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mercury Crusader posted:

If you bother Rich Fleider (rogueswompy on twitter), he might be able to say more about it. Two tweets are relevant:

quote:

Rogue Entertainment hasn't dissolved but the rights to Strife were last held by Velocity Games, it never reverted back to us.

We tried to re-acquire the rights but with Velocity bankrupt for a decade or so, it's been tough to get a definitive answer.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
More reasons copyright should have renewals. If no one knows who owns something, no one should.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey guys, I'm playing Half life 1 again, for the first time in a very long time.

And I've forgotten just how fragile Freeman is, even on easy difficulty. Two marines with a good line of sight can whittle your health down in seconds.

Anyway, given all the platforming and "traps", I've been quicksaving like a fiend.

But I just read that the game not only has checkpoints, but that the checkpoints will even "spawn" (when you reload) you with more health. Any idea on how that system works? Or if it even exists? There's not a ton of internet chatter on half life 1 these days - google keeps on pointing me towards the sequel.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Someone should make a commercial sequel to Strife and sees who sues them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing Half life 1 again, for the first time in a very long time.

While it doesn't include Xen yet, you really should check out Black Mesa Source. Fan-made remake (with Valve's official blessing - when it's complete it'll be on Steam for free) which really does improve on the original in a lot of ways.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Well good news, you'd have to come up with a new name! :haw:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/09/s2-working-on-second-generation-moba-strife/

'tho if anyone does threaten S2 to change the name, maybe we'll be closer to figuring out who does own Strife?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Duke 3D Megaton Edition is coming to Vita.

Looks like it's being ported by the gents behind the port of Hotline Miami.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Dominic White posted:

While it doesn't include Xen yet, you really should check out Black Mesa Source. Fan-made remake (with Valve's official blessing - when it's complete it'll be on Steam for free) which really does improve on the original in a lot of ways.
Don't do this. While BMS is an OK last resort if you absolutely can't stand the graphics of the old game or something, it plays worse than the original in many ways. At the very least you should play the original first so you can have a context for what was "updated" in BMS when you do play it.

As for your issues with the difficulty, I don't know what you read but I'm pretty sure it's completely untrue. While the game does have two rolling autosaves, the save points are static and pretty infrequent, and have no effect on your health. You're just going to have to grit your teeth and quicksave your way through it like we did in the 90s.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked Black Mesa, they changed a bunch of stuff for the better, but then they kept the super lovely jumping teleport puzzle at the very end. What the gently caress guys?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Not recommending Black Mesa, if you think HL1 is difficult. I like to think myself as a fairly skilled individual and certain parts of Black Mesa were an absolute hell without constant save/loading. Also the game does have some other flaws, like basically requiring to crouchjump loving everywhere. Normal jump is absolutely useless.

I like Black Mesa a lot, mind. It's just clearly made by fps veterans for fps veterans.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
BMS is pretty good, but I really wish that they would've taken full advantage of the more advanced engine then they ended up doing, I mean I don't know if it was because I was playing on the harder difficulties but there didn't seem to be any implementation of "stunning" for a lot of enemies that can kill the poo poo out of you in an instant, if anything that was one of the quirks of the original half-life/gold source engine that I do not miss what so ever

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Black Mesa is crouch-jumping: the game. It's loving stupid. Nothing killed the pacing of that game more than pointlessly finicky jumping sequences. The awful marine AI was pretty bad but it wasn't any better in the original so I can tolerate it, but the sheer amount of crouch-jumps made it feel like they wanted the game to be more technically challenging for its own sake. Too bad they forgot they were remaking Half-Life, not Metroid Prime.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

Black Mesa is crouch-jumping: the game. It's loving stupid. Nothing killed the pacing of that game more than pointlessly finicky jumping sequences. The awful marine AI was pretty bad but it wasn't any better in the original so I can tolerate it, but the sheer amount of crouch-jumps made it feel like they wanted the game to be more technically challenging for its own sake. Too bad they forgot they were remaking Half-Life, not Metroid Prime.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they spent 10 years making Black Mesa and never figured out that you shouldn't have to crouch-jump over knee-to-waist-high objects. I mean, how do you spend 15 years making a mod and not get tired of crouch-jumping over everything when you're testing things out? They spent twenty years on this game and the crouch-jumping? Remains!

Also, I still can't believe that people were defending the aimbottish Marine AI on Normal and Hard--especially in that ambush following "Questionable Ethics". Apparently having to repeat a sequence over and over again until you can memorize every location and pre-fire grenades and ordinance into every spot so that you can kill the Marines before the firefight even begins is fun and the way you're supposed to do things. Some people were quick to claim that the original Half-Life was the same way, but that's crazy because the same sequence in both games played out completely differently. You can actually fight Marines in the original without being forced to one-hit-kill everything in the quarter-second window you're allotted before they kill you.

Otherwise, a good mod.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Lork posted:

Don't do this. While BMS is an OK last resort if you absolutely can't stand the graphics of the old game or something, it plays worse than the original in many ways. At the very least you should play the original first so you can have a context for what was "updated" in BMS when you do play it.

Yeah, while I think the general level layouts are close to ideal for a remake with the Surface Tension Uncut mod installed (I think On A Rail is ridiculously cut down even taking into account the fact I was okay with them shortening a bit, but an uncut version which tries to nail the right balance is already being worked on so whatever), the gameplay balance is pretty hosed.

Without ini tweaks to make their reactions more reasonable fighting the Marines in BMS is like being cannon fodder in Commando and having multiple Arnies attacking you at once. Conversely the Aliens are mostly heavily nerfed to the point they are weak as kittens, and the Ichthyosaurs are just sad. It even messes up the narrative as the Marines just completely slaughter the Aliens in every encounter, as opposed to the original where things gradually shift from being relatively equal to being in the Alien's favour, which fits the story. The worst thing though is that the Vortigaunts completely lose their identity; In the original they hurt like hell but have a slow charge-up time that gives plenty of time to find cover. In BMS they charge so fast (faster than they do even on hard in the original game) that they are near-unavoidable, but do little damage. The HL1 vortiguants aren't very dangerous most of the time but keep you on your toes, which fits the Sci-fi/Horror style of the game perfectly. While the BMS ones are just annoying fodder that peck away at your health. As they are one of the most regular enemies in the game that makes a pretty big change to the mood.

Mman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 12, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I really don't know why they hosed around with the enemies like that in Black Mesa Source. On top of everything you said I really, really missed the old Houndeye sounds.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I really don't know why they hosed around with the enemies like that in Black Mesa Source. On top of everything you said I really, really missed the old Houndeye sounds.

Anyone else find it peculiar the pistol shoots as fast as you can click?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Bind fire to mouse wheel down and report back.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'll definitely give Black Mesa a go - but I wanted to replay the original non-HD, non-remade Half Life since I haven't played it in close to a decade.

And while some things hold up (the atmosphere, the variety, the immersion), the creaky gameplay mechanics of the time really did hurt my experience.

1) I'm happy for a health bar instead of regenerating life, but jesus H Christ - I'd forgotten how easy it is to take damage. Playing on easy, a vortigaunt hit can take up to 20 points off my lifebar. Play through a ten second anything less than perfectly and you can lose half your health in a flash.

2) Even today, the marine AI is still pretty impressive. There were several points where they flanked or flushed me out of cover with a grenade. Do headshots do more damage than body blows? I was running around so frenetically in combat that I couldn't tell much of a difference.

3) 1st person platforming. Not as bad as some had warned me, but combined with the numerous "random explosion" takes out this side of the room scripted sequences, I was mashing that F7 key left and right.

4) The Xen sequence at the end isn't THAT bad. Its definitely not great, and it could've been cut, but it's clearly Valve experimenting with the world one more time.

5) That final boss though? Can go suck a bag of dicks. From the finicky jumping pads to complete lack of feedback (good luck figuring out what to do after blowing up the crystals) its just an astonishingly bad bit of game design. After beating the boss and not having a drat clue how I won (as I was on my way up to fire into his brain, he started exploding) I replayed the section with god mode on. And yeah, it feels entirely random when his little brain opens up for damage.

6) I don't want to end on a bum note, so I'll tell a tiny anecdote from a friend who played Half Life when it first came around. Like quite a few others, we didn't even know there WAS a Half life until we had been playing Counter Strike for months. (I also somehow owned CounterStrike and never realized it came with an AWESOME western mod).

Anyway, I mentioned that I didn't really care for PC shooters. And he said, "But dude, this is like the beatles. They do survival horror, they do military action, they do aliens they do puzzles they do it all. And they do it all well."

And more than a decade later, I think that's the most impressive element of Half Life. There is an absolutely mindboggling amount of variety from level and level. And to further the metaphor, even though some of the songs definitely sound antiquated and with fare more static than I remember, its still one hell of an album.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Commander Keenan posted:

Anyone else find it peculiar the pistol shoots as fast as you can click?

Isn't that how it was in the original Half-Life? Or am I confusing that with the glitch that let you fire off all of your bullets at once.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Narcissus1916 posted:

And to further the metaphor, even though some of the songs definitely sound antiquated and with fare more static than I remember, its still one hell of an album.
They may have fixed it by now but I heard that the Steam version of Half-Life has much lower quality music (as in lower bitrate) than the original CD tracks, so there might literally be more static than you remember.

Yodzilla posted:

Isn't that how it was in the original Half-Life? Or am I confusing that with the glitch that let you fire off all of your bullets at once.
You're thinking of Half-Life 2 in both cases.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lork posted:

They may have fixed it by now but I heard that the Steam version of Half-Life has much lower quality music (as in lower bitrate) than the original CD tracks, so there might literally be more static than you remember.

The Steam version has it as like 192 kilobit OGG files, which really shouldn't sound much lower quality.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Narcissus1916 posted:

Do headshots do more damage than body blows? I was running around so frenetically in combat that I couldn't tell much of a difference.

My player's guide says that headshots to triple damage, but shots to armor do less. So hitting a Marine in the face does a ton of damage, but hitting the helmet doesn't do much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't really mind the Black Mesa pistol firing super quickly, simply because even with that advantage you aren't going to use it over the shotgun or MP5. It at least gives it a cool ability in the early game when that's all you've got.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lork posted:

You're thinking of Half-Life 2 in both cases.

Ah gotcha. Welp I guess that makes more sense then.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Install Windows posted:

The Steam version has it as like 192 kilobit OGG files, which really shouldn't sound much lower quality.

Actually, they are 48 kilobit MP3 files!

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain

Mman posted:

Without ini tweaks to make their reactions more reasonable fighting the Marines in BMS is like being cannon fodder in Commando and having multiple Arnies attacking you at once. Conversely the Aliens are mostly heavily nerfed to the point they are weak as kittens, and the Ichthyosaurs are just sad. It even messes up the narrative as the Marines just completely slaughter the Aliens in every encounter, as opposed to the original where things gradually shift from being relatively equal to being in the Alien's favour, which fits the story. The worst thing though is that the Vortigaunts completely lose their identity; In the original they hurt like hell but have a slow charge-up time that gives plenty of time to find cover. In BMS they charge so fast (faster than they do even on hard in the original game) that they are near-unavoidable, but do little damage. The HL1 vortiguants aren't very dangerous most of the time but keep you on your toes, which fits the Sci-fi/Horror style of the game perfectly. While the BMS ones are just annoying fodder that peck away at your health. As they are one of the most regular enemies in the game that makes a pretty big change to the mood.
Have there been any mods to make the enemies closer original Half Life or at least make fighting the marines less awful? I really want to give the mod another run through but I really don't want have to save scum my way through the rough bits again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Okay, now I'm confused. http://justgamesretro.com/win/half-life

This review states that scientists can HEAL YOU. Is that a thing? Did I somehow never see that because I was quicksaving so often that I was rarely in dire enough straits for a medkit to be given? Or is the review wrong?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Okay, now I'm confused. http://justgamesretro.com/win/half-life

This review states that scientists can HEAL YOU. Is that a thing? Did I somehow never see that because I was quicksaving so often that I was rarely in dire enough straits for a medkit to be given? Or is the review wrong?

They can heal you. I can't remember the conditions required for them to heal you, but you probably have to be pretty low for them to do it, and they may only do it once each.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah man scientists healed me all the drat time and once a guard becomes useless you can off him for his ammo but I always liked trying to roll with some bros. The way Half-Life was designed you can take a good number of helpers a really long way since they'll follow you through loading screens.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, if you're under 50% scientists can ask you to hold still so they can jab you with a 25% health boost.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'd just like the sequel, please.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Captain_Red posted:

Have there been any mods to make the enemies closer original Half Life or at least make fighting the marines less awful? I really want to give the mod another run through but I really don't want have to save scum my way through the rough bits again.

There are some simple cvars that I find improve the BMS experience:

code:
// In cfg/skill.cfg, add these
ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.35" // Time it takes for enemies to notice you. Default "0.1"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "1" // Time before enemies start firing. Default "0.3"

// and change these
bms_normal_jump_vertical_speed "250" // Increases jump height so you don't have to crouch jump everywhere.
sk_npc_head "3"
sk_npc_arm "1"
sk_npc_leg "1"
Or you can just put all of those in autoexec.cfg, but skill.cfg is where most of the damage/speed values are set.

The "sk" values are to give normal damage for the extremities and a small buff to headshots.

The ai_reaction values are what makes enemies so irritating to encounter. With the default values, an enemy will start moving 100ms after spotting them and start shooting 300ms later. If you're playing Counter Strike, those reaction times are forgiving. If you're playing a single player campaign, those default values are exhausting.

Also, Surface Tension Uncut expands on a great level in HL1 which BMS pretty much skips.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 13, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah man scientists healed me all the drat time and once a guard becomes useless you can off him for his ammo but I always liked trying to roll with some bros. The way Half-Life was designed you can take a good number of helpers a really long way since they'll follow you through loading screens.
The best way to play the Office Complex section is to 'rescue' every possible scientist and guard, by leading them to the corridor where you jump onto the broken elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Zero Star posted:

The best way to play the Office Complex section is to 'rescue' every possible scientist and guard, by leading them to the corridor where you jump onto the broken elevator.

That sense of remorse when a Barney or scientist died. Always had to reload an old save if that happened.