Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm a big Suda 51 fan but I don't ever play shoot em ups. Will I be able to have fun with Liberation Maiden?

Probably not, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 15):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Pokemon Rumble U - €14.99 / £13.49
    Ducktales Remastered (August 13) - €14.99 / £13.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    NAM-1975 (Neo-Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 from August 15-September 5
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until August 15
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Barbie Groom and Glam Pups - €29.99 / £24.99
    Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Bike Rider DX - €5.99 / £4.99
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage - €11.99 / £10.79
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Secret Mysteries in London - €11.99 / £10.79
    Sudoku by Nikoli - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Star Soldier (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
    Summer Carnival '92 Recca (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Rhythm Core Alpha 2 - 1000 Points / €9.99 / £8.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 30% off all DLC packs/bundles from August 17-31
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.74 until August 15
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until August 15
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.40 until August 15
    Groove Heaven (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until August 15
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €9.79 / £8.39 until August 15
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.49 until August 22
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until August 22
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 until August 22

Still no Flipnote. Hmm.

The NSMB2 Coin Rush sale covers both individual packs and multi-pack bundles, but you can't buy a bundle if it includes any individual packs you've purchased previously, which is kinda annoying.

Recca is an incredibly rare and technically impressive scrolling shooter that has never been released outside of Japan; I'm gonna wager that most people won't be able to beat it even with savestates, but it's definitely worth a look regardless.

The Etrian Odyssey demo contains two floors to explore, and you'll be able to transfer your save data to the full game if you so choose.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 12, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I've posted this before but everyone should buy the NSMB Impossible Pack. It's 3 super hard levels and it took me like 2 or 3 straight hours of dying repeatedly before I beat it. I wasn't a huge fan of the game but I really liked that DLC. I was kinda hoping New Super Luigi U would have some stuff on that difficulty level but it never even came close.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
That coin DLC still isn't even down to the normal NA price :fuckoff:

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 12, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Just to make sure, the EX bit in Nano assault is for extra stuff, right? As in, this is the full retail game plus and not a reduced version like "a little bit of brain training." I don't think Europe ever got the first game cartridge based and it looks pretty neat.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I haven't played any of the EO games, so I can't wait to try the demo of EO4.

Is it likely we'll get a demo of SMT4 too? Was there one released in the US eShop? I'd like to try that game out too since I've never played anything in the series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Just to make sure, the EX bit in Nano assault is for extra stuff, right? As in, this is the full retail game plus and not a reduced version like "a little bit of brain training." I don't think Europe ever got the first game cartridge based and it looks pretty neat.

Yeah, it's the full retail game with a couple extra modes, Circle Pad Pro support and some other minor changes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't played any of the EO games, so I can't wait to try the demo of EO4.

Is it likely we'll get a demo of SMT4 too? Was there one released in the US eShop? I'd like to try that game out too since I've never played anything in the series.

We never got a SMT IV eshop demo.

The first hour or so of the game is exclusively navigated through a menu system. Any demo would require being in the middle of the game.

The game is quite fun. The Battle system is similar to Devil Survivor with an extra gimmick to keep getting extra turns. You run around a 3D world and can see enemies as a blue blob of digital stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is hitting the EU eShop next week for €15.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Boulder Dash XL 3D is hitting the PAL 3DS eShop next week (August 22), for €4.99 / £4.49. I've never played the XL version, but it's hard to screw up Boulder Dash, right?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
How is Pokιmon Rumble U supposed to be? I've not played either of the first two and can't really find any reviews. Is it a good party game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Etrian Odyssey 4 demo is now up in the EU eshop! :toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 15):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Pokemon Rumble U - €14.99 / £13.49
    Ducktales Remastered - €14.99 / £13.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    NAM-1975 (Neo-Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 until September 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Barbie Groom and Glam Pups - €29.99 / £24.99
    Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Bike Rider DX - €5.99 / £4.99
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage - €11.99 / £10.79
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Secret Mysteries in London - €11.99 / £10.79
    Sudoku by Nikoli - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Star Soldier (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
    Summer Carnival '92 Recca (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Rhythm Core Alpha 2 - 1000 Points / €9.99 / £8.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 30% off all DLC packs/bundles from August 17-31
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.49 until August 22
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until August 22
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 until August 22

NA update (week of August 15):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (August 20) - $49.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Galaga (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Get two months of Hulu Plus free from https://www.huluplus.com/WiiU2months!
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Rhythm of Legend Alien (Wii U eShop) - $11.25 until August 29
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until September 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Barbie: Gloom & Glam Pups - $29.99
    My Western Horse 3D - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    10-in-1 Arcade Collection - $2.99
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until August 22
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Mario Golf (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    NES Play Action Football (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Wario's Woods (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1

No mention of the NSMB2 DLC sale on the NA press release.

Bit Trip Runner 2 got some DLC the other day, too - you can buy a character pack that lets you play as a bunch of different indie game characters. Again, it's not on the press release so I don't know the specifics.

NOE decided they're gonna release the Pokemon Rumble NFC figurines after all! They're GAME-exclusive, I believe; you can also buy a special retail bundle that includes a download code, a few rare figurines and some posters.

You're never going to clear Recca. Buy it anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had no idea Splinter Cell was coming out this week. Please, please be good. How could the series go so far downhill after Chaos Theory? I really want a new Splinter Cell that's good!

At least color me surprised that they actually cut ten dollars of the price since they didn't include coop mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

greatn posted:

I had no idea Splinter Cell was coming out this week. Please, please be good. How could the series go so far downhill after Chaos Theory? I really want a new Splinter Cell that's good!

At least color me surprised that they actually cut ten dollars of the price since they didn't include coop mode.

It's apparently quite good, like they went back to the Chaos Theory notes and went from there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Wow, what riveting releases on the VC this week. Nintendo please give me a reason to give you money. I'm not seeing one this week.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Terper posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 demo is now up in the EU eshop! :toot:

It's probably worth noting that the EU demo has only 3 uses instead of usual 30 which is kind of annoying.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man are we ever going to get more 3D Classic games?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man are we ever going to get more 3D Classic games?

I will buy most of those Sega games. WHERE ARE THEY?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Malek Deneith posted:

It's probably worth noting that the EU demo has only 3 uses instead of usual 30 which is kind of annoying.

What can you do with just 3 uses? :psyduck:

Anyhow, how's Trine 2? I played the demo and I thought the narrated parts were a bit annoying? Is it still great in the long run?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Kurtofan posted:

Play it once and have 2 uses left over?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Anyhow, how's Trine 2? I played the demo and I thought the narrated parts were a bit annoying? Is it still great in the long run?
I haven't seen the demo but there is next to no narrative in the full game after the tutorial. The story plays out pretty much exclusively in skippable loading screen VO and short little cut scenes at level transitions. And yeah its a fantastic game especially if you have people to play with.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know that it's all that big a deal; I played through the entire demo on one lunch break, and knew at that point I was going to be buying it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA has three different versions of Street Fighter 2 listed for release on the Wii U VC this week - World Warrior, New Challengers and Hyper Fighting. Why they can't just release Turbo with online play and call it a day is beyond me.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOA has three different versions of Street Fighter 2 listed for release on the Wii U VC this week - World Warrior, New Challengers and Hyper Fighting. Why they can't just release Turbo with online play and call it a day is beyond me.

Good lord that is a hilariously wasteful use of the Virtual Console.

Three games! But they're all SFII. They should've wrapped up the Megaman SNES games, and given a sale for people like with the SNES Kirby games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom's probably doing it because they did the same thing on Wii and and they all sold really well and continued to sell even when the newer versions were available. You could view the various European top 20 VC charts on the NOE website for a while and you could guarantee there'd be at least two different versions of SF2 on there in any given month.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They'll probably rig up a buy-2-get-1-free promo or something like it, too.

They edited together a trailer for each version, and used the same song for all of them. Take a wild guess which one.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Υ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Υ

Each of the games after World Warrior did add new characters (Hyper Fighting/SF2 Turbo made the bosses playable and New Challengers/Super SF2 added brand new characters like Cammy and T. Hawk) and balance changes, so they are technically different games.

The reason why to sell all three seperately is probably for nostalgia since I'm sure a lot of kids at the time the games were new only had one (or two) of the games at a time.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 17, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Obeast posted:

Each of the games after World Warrior did add new characters (Hyper Fighting/SF2 Turbo made the bosses playable and New Challengers/Super SF2 added brand new characters like Cammy and T. Hawk) and balance changes, so they are technically different games.

The reason why to sell all three seperately is probably for nostalgia since I'm sure a lot of kids at the time the games were new only had one (or two) of the games at a time.

The thing is that anyone who cares about the nuanced differences between them (ie, no one) would just be a sperg enough to want the arcade versions and not the SNES ports.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I have $30 in my 3DS credit because I bought SMTIV and FE. Any recommendations?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Pushmo/Pullblox (if you don't already have it) and SteamWorld Dig

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

curiousCat posted:

If you're putting it into the 3DS: Pushmo, Crashmo, Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2, any/all of the Zelda VC games, maybe Shantae (GBC) and its DSiWare sequel if you happen to be interested in a Monster World IV-esque platforming adventure game.

If you're putting it into the Wii U (if you own one I guess): DuckTales Remastered, Mighty Switch Force HD Edition, a couple of various SNES games on VC like Harvest Moon or Super Metroid I suppose.

For reference, I put my $30 credit into the Wii U so I could get DuckTales and then slowly get those VC game discount upgrade things over the next couple of months/years/whenever.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 17, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

curiousCat posted:

What sort of thing do you like/have? Donkey Kong for Game Boy and for most people Zelda: Link's Awakening are essentials.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why they can't just release Turbo with online play and call it a day is beyond me.

Isn't creating good netcode for fighting games online like super difficult? That seems like a lot to ask unless you meant porting HD Remix

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Help Im Alive posted:

Isn't creating good netcode for fighting games online like super difficult? That seems like a lot to ask unless you meant porting HD Remix

Oh, make no mistake, I wouldn't expect them to do a good job, but releasing any fighting game without netcode in this day and age is a complete waste of time, let alone multiple worthless console ports. If Sega was willing to shell out for online play for that one VC release then surely it's not unrealistic to expect Capcom to make the slightest bit of effort.

EDIT: and for something like SSF2T they can just use GGPO, which isn't necessarily cheap but it's definitely a proven, established service for FG netcode.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 17, 2013

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

surely it's not unrealistic to expect Capcom to make the slightest bit of effort.

You haven't been paying much attention to Capcom recently, have you?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Didn't they hack online into the Wii VC release of Super? There is precedent and its kinda lovely that they'd take a step backwards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Didn't they hack online into the Wii VC release of Super? There is precedent and its kinda lovely that they'd take a step backwards.

No, maybe some homebrew person did but the VC releases never had online.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/01/genesis-version-of-super-street-fighter-ii-available-on-wiis-virtual-console-with-online-play/

Apparently there was an online release of Puyo Puyo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

homeless snail posted:

Sega did that themselves, as far as I know. Same deal with Strider, Sega published it and did all the work, Capcom just sat back and took their cut.