Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

david carmichael posted:

Lewis was like 250+. There are really athletic big fellas, but they are rare, and they go into other sports

yeah, lewis was big, and that's all true, but like mma cruiser weight would be 235, and i imagine even he could cut down to 235. there's already a decent amount of big guys in the hw division at the moment, and yet the "cruiser weight" guys are more than competitive with them. i'm sure the size may go up a bit, and what's mostly going to happen is you're not going to the get the fat lhw competing at hw anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I've never really bought into the idea that money alone is going to pull a bunch of 260+ pound guys from a sport where they move for 5-10 seconds every four minutes to one where you might spend five rounds scrambling with JDS.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I've never really bought into the idea that money alone is going to pull a bunch of 260+ pound guys from a sport where they move for 5-10 seconds every four minutes to one where you might spend five rounds scrambling with JDS.

Well isn't the average NFL career like 4 years or something? I dunno what the average heavyweight MMA career is either, but I think it may help that while you have to scramble with JDS for 15 minutes, you only do that twice a year, while NFL dudes have to take damage every week for half a year every year. I think you have a much better chance of having a longer career in MMA than you do in the NFL.

I think the real heart of the issue is some people are born fighters and most are not. The dudes that don't have it in them to compete in combat sports most likely should not get involved in the first place.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not sure that I believe an MMA career is less damaging than an NFL career. You might only fight twice a year, but every week that you're sparring is a week where you will get punched in the face.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure that I believe an MMA career is less damaging than an NFL career. You might only fight twice a year, but every week that you're sparring is a week where you will get punched in the face.

Well if you train smart it should minimize how much damage you take as you train for a fight. Not everybody turns into Chuck. And it isn't like NFL dudes only play when they step out on the field either. They practice throughout the week too.

It would be a difficult thing to measure because MMA doesn't have regular seasons like the NFL does, but dudes like Nog, Mir, Werdum, Nelson, Barnett, Overeem, and others have all been fighting for a decade, and only Nog seems like a dude that should have been retired by now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
brandon schaub and matt mitrione, men ahead of their time

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
brain damage is a terrible thing but the real MMA epidemic is that every single top flight fighter has had 800 major knee surgeries and that's just accepted as part of the game, it's terrifying

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

brain damage is a terrible thing but the real MMA epidemic is that every single top flight fighter has had 800 major knee surgeries and that's just accepted as part of the game, it's terrifying

That's just kind of how it is with every professional sport though isn't it? I think the brain injuries part is highlighted because it is more exclusive to MMA (and boxing and football) as opposed to like, soccer or baseball or ultimate frisbee or whatever.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
For the record I wasn't even talking about how "damaging" a career is overall, only how much acute pain/injury a participant is expected to sustain and continue through. In football you're expected to take big hits and probably play through some injuries but nobody expects you to keep playing when your nose is shattered and you're aspirating blood. What might be going on with your brain after years of participation is kind of a different issue than that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thermos H Christ posted:

For the record I wasn't even talking about how "damaging" a career is overall, only how much acute pain/injury a participant is expected to sustain and continue through. In football you're expected to take big hits and probably play through some injuries but nobody expects you to keep playing when your nose is shattered and you're aspirating blood. What might be going on with your brain after years of participation is kind of a different issue than that.

Are you serious? NFL players, especially linemen, get broken fingers and noses pretty much every game. They go off the field, wrap it, and come back on. Toughness isn't the deciding factor. It's all about the money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Given the state of so many retired NFL players, a long career in the NFL is probably more damaging. It's hard to say now since we have so few data points on the MMA side, and some of the outliers like Goodridge have damaging kickboxing careers on top of MMA.

Lerius
Mar 9, 2013
I'd say anyone on a college/NFL line would have it much worse. It's not uncommon to get a minor concussion multiple times per game and keep going.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

That's just kind of how it is with every professional sport though isn't it? I think the brain injuries part is highlighted because it is more exclusive to MMA (and boxing and football) as opposed to like, soccer or baseball or ultimate frisbee or whatever.

I think the brain injuries part of it is highlighted more because people have an easier time coming to terms with walking with a cane when they're older than they are with not remembering where they live.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
IIRC there was a cat in Florida who sunk a shitload of money into making undrafted NCAA football studs into heavyweight boxers. Last I heard it hadn't gone anywhere worth mentioning.

e: Brain injuries, like fatherdog said, are loving scary in a way that basically nothing except major burns or limb amputations are. Even the football dads with big throbbing erections over the idea of kids playing with broken bones are brough up short by the idea of their sons drooling and making GBS threads on themselves by 50.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 12, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

IIRC there was a cat in Florida who sunk a shitload of money into making undrafted NCAA football studs into heavyweight boxers. Last I heard it hadn't gone anywhere worth mentioning.

Team Touchdown.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Elemennop posted:

as fatherdog has pointed out a hundred times, back when boxing was probably the biggest professional sport in the world, heavyweights were never at brock levels. Ali was like 216 at 6'3'', Dempsey was 6'1'' and less than 200, Jack Johnson was 200 at 6'0.5'', and Joe Louis was 214 at 6'2''. Super Heavyweight wrestling goes up a bit higher: Karelin was 285 at 6'4'' I think, and he's the absolute largest you get (at least couting lean bodyweight). there's no real evidence that there's ever going to be a legion of brock lesnars dominating heavyweight, and in fact it looks like the heavyweights on the lighter side of the division seem to have the advantage.

There's only ever been one world champion boxer above the 265, despite the lack of weight limits. Nikolai Valuev was 330 lbs. and 7'1", but he's a major outlier and was not a dominant champion. For #2 you have to go back to the loving 1930s for Primo Carnera (6'9" and 260 lbs.).

Part of this is boxing doesn't require lifting strength so being jacked as gently caress is a disadvantage if it makes you slower. Still though, the global talent pool of athletes that can't cut down to 265 is still really loving slim. When JCS from FightMatrix did an informal study on the global talent pool by division a couple years ago, he concluded that HW with it's 60 lbs. spread, which he then combined with the few SHWs out there, was slightly smaller than LHW, which was slightly smaller than Bantamweight, and smaller than every division in-between.

There is no point from a competition standpoint to keep a cap on HWs, except maybe for amateur fights.

From a political standpoint, it gives the UFC and MMA a talking point saying how their 265 lbs. cap helps make them safer than boxing (Dana White has actually given this as a reason), which makes it easier to get legalized in places (mostly overseas now though). I suppose it's a good enough reason to keep a cap in the Unified Rules.

From an entertainment standpoint, it means that Heavyweights who might be good enough to get into the UFC on the basis of lots of first round KOs have a minimum cardio standpoint, so they can only gas out so much when facing better competition in the UFC.

I suppose if it were a simple thing to do and it were up to me I'd raise the limit to 275 or whatever, both so fewer of those weird outliers like Bigfoot Silva aren't drat near emaciating themselves, and also to help pave the way for Cruiserweight should that ever become an actual thing in like a decade maybe (probably not). CW would be 225, and HW would still have a nice 50+ lbs. so it could have the same number of dudes, and big/slow/fat trashweights who somehow make it to the elite level (Ben Rothwell, Roy Nelson, Tim Sylvia at one point, etc.), could still be only so big and slow and fat. Or maybe I just like rounder numbers, idk.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bubba Smith posted:

Well isn't the average NFL career like 4 years or something? I dunno what the average heavyweight MMA career is either, but I think it may help that while you have to scramble with JDS for 15 minutes, you only do that twice a year, while NFL dudes have to take damage every week for half a year every year. I think you have a much better chance of having a longer career in MMA than you do in the NFL.

For what it's worth, the median 200lb+ MMA fighter fights to age 35 while the median drafted NFL lineman plays to age 31.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've read a couple of places that MMA fighters, who aren't full blown tards that keep going when they shouldn't, don't have a very grim future compared to other sports. Football, boxing, etc. you get up and keep getting hit in the head unless you get put into the deep loving side of the unconscious pool.

MMA you either move the fight to the ground or get stopped. You don't see people getting scraped off the mat and given and wobbling standing eight count to continue fighting in MMA.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Thanks dokmo, your statistics in the NBA threads are great.

And while there is some amateur MMA happening before heavyweights go pro, I doubt it compares to a few years of NCAA playing before making it to the NFL. Tons of dudes get banged up in college before they even make it to the pros.

Both sports damage the hell out of the mind and bodies of the people playing them, but I do think MMA has a slight edge in being safer and that could lure a few heavy men to switch sports from football to fighting if the money improves.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't know if this is devil's advocate but in MMA if a guy falls to the ground then the guy that remains standing is obligated to keep hitting until the ref waves him off, and this doesn't happen in boxing.

I realize boxing has 10 counts that can cause repeated brain trauma, etc, and that doesn't happen in MMA, but MMA has incidents where a dude's blood gets wiped across the canvas for 5 rounds and the drat fight doesn't end because neither of the dudes tap out or go limp

mewse fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 12, 2013

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I don't think there is anyway to deny you take more headshots in boxing, and you can get knocked unconscious in boxing and then keep punched in the head for a while.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mewse posted:

I don't know if this is devil's advocate but in MMA if a guy falls to the ground then the guy that remains standing is obligated to keep hitting until the ref waves him off, and this doesn't happen in boxing.

I realize boxing has 10 counts that can cause repeated brain trauma, etc, and that doesn't happen in MMA, but MMA has incidents where a dude's blood gets wiped across the canvas for 5 rounds and the drat fight doesn't end because neither of the dudes tap out or go limp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-impact_syndrome

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

I think the real heart of the issue is some people are born fighters and most are not. The dudes that don't have it in them to compete in combat sports most likely should not get involved in the first place.

you'd make so much more in those four years than you would in a 20 year mma career

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Team Touchdown.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I avoid training often because even after light sparring and getting tapped in the head, I feel like I have lost IQ points or something. I swear I used to be smarter than I am now. I don't think its just full on knock outs in the ring, I think even light punches cause brain problems as well. It can't be good for you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

deadspin posted:

A tipster passes along the following email sent around to Bleacher Report's MMA writers last year. It was written by Jeremy Botter, a lead MMA writer for B/R who also covers the fights for the Houston Chronicle. There is some good advice here (don't publish random bullshit!) and some weird advice here (don't ask Dana White about his mom!) but the most interesting advice has to do with all the things you shouldn't cover and the ways you shouldn't cover them if you don't want to get blacklisted by the UFC. (It may be worth noting that the site you're reading has been blacklisted.)

These sorts of understandings drive all sorts of journalism, in sports and elsewhere, but they're especially powerful in the fight game, where promoters are much more aggressive than most about using the threat of denying access to quash stories they don't want covered. You usually don't see them spelled out so explicitly, though.

quote:

Brian asked me to put together a small list of "things you don't do" regarding writing about Zuffa. I've had a ton of experience with Dana, both professional and personal, and I have a pretty good handle on what makes him tick and what pisses him off. (everything in this email is full internal purposes and not to be shared).

Here you go:

- Don't delve too deep into Zuffa financials. This goes for fighter pay, revenue, money donated to political campaigns. This is Dana's biggest pet peeve. Because they are a private company, it's almost impossible to verify actual financial numbers for any of these subjects. Even if you have two good sources verifying your information, there are still a lot of things they do behind the scenes that makes it a really tough subject to get right.

There are all kinds of under-the-table bonuses paid to fighters, from the top of the card all the way to the bottom. I have personally, with my own two eyes, seen a fighter who made $8,000 to show and $8,000 to win be handed a check for $45,000 after his fight ended because they were so happy with the excitement of his bout. This is not a random occurence - it happens multiple times per event, every event.

Nothing pisses Dana off more than people talking about Zuffa's financials and getting everything wrong. There is literally no way to grasp everything they do with their money, so there's no point in trying to speculate.

This is a very good way to piss them off and find yourself blacklisted. Stay away from it.

- Don't "report" things unless you have two very credible sources. Don't take a rumor and post it as fact.

- Don't report something a manager tells you unless you have verified it with someone who is not a manager. Managers will often use you to get their message out.

Loretta Hunt was banned from the UFC because she reported a story that was fed to her by Ken Pavia, who was actually feeding her false information because he was upset with Zuffa over the amount of backstage passes he was receiving for shows. Managers have tried to feed me information in the past that turned out to be false.

Don't be a mouthpiece and don't let them use you to send a message, because you'll be the one who gets burned.

- Don't be a mouthpiece for a fighter, either. They'll use you in the same way managers do when trying to send a message to the UFC.

- Don't talk about Dana's history with his mom. This is a fantastic way to find yourself blacklisted. Do not do it, either in articles or on Twitter or Facebook. It doesn't matter anymore, anyway, so there's no point.

- If you're writing an opinion article with a negative slant on Zuffa, make sure it's clearly worded as opinion. Don't mix rumors with your opinions. Dana has told me personally that he doesn't care if you write negative opinion stuff, so long as people know it's opinion. Don't mix negative opinion with reporting.

- Don't be negative just to be negative or edgy. Dana doesn't mind being asked tough questions, but consider the circumstance when you're doing it. If you're at a press conference or a conference call for a UFC event, keep your questions related to that event.

Don't bust out a question about a controversial topic in the middle of a press event designed to promote a certain fight card. Wait until after the press conference ends. Dana usually does a media scrum, and that's the best place to ask those types of questions. Save your questions for the right moment and you'll find that Dana is very accommodating.

- And finally, always remember this: you would be SHOCKED to learn how much they pay attention to when it comes to MMA media. Their corporate and PR teams love Bleacher Report, and they read everything. You may think you're flying under the radar, but you aren't. They are all paying attention.

Each and every day, the UFC PR team prepares a "morning report" consisting of articles from all major newspapers and MMA websites. This report is compiled and emailed to everyone on the corporate side of things, from top communications execs all the way to Dana and Lorenzo. I've seen these reports, and they are very thorough. And yes, they include Bleacher Report stories.

You're always being watched. I don't say this to scare you. I say it to let you know that you're not an unknown commodity, and that people are paying attention. They read what you write. Mistakes you make now, when you think you're under the radar, could end up burning you down the line.

In fairness to B/R, the site actually runs a lot of really good MMA coverage. This thorough analysis of a UFC contract, for instance—"I think it's potentially a violation of the 13th Amendment, the prohibition against slavery or involuntary servitude," said a law professor they consulted—is certainly worth a read even if you couldn't care less about the sport. I asked Botter about the note. He replied:

quote:

Yes, I can confirm that I wrote that email.

It wasn't an "internal memo," unless that term has taken on new significance that I am unaware of. I realize the little disclaimer at the top makes it seem official, but it wasn't.

It was something my editor and I were discussing that he decided to share with the team. It was never official policy or anything of that nature.

A lot of it just seemed like common sense when dealing with sports coverage/journalism of any type, not just the UFC. But obviously this was targeted more at them because, well, that's what I do.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Memo from dfw jr posted:

- And finally, always remember this: you would be SHOCKED to learn how much they pay attention to when it comes to MMA media. Their corporate and PR teams love Bleacher Report, and they read everything. You may think you're flying under the radar, but you aren't. They are all paying attention.

Well it's nice to finally have confirmation that Joe Silva does read these threads. Thanks Joe, you're doing great work.

willie_dee posted:

I avoid training often because even after light sparring and getting tapped in the head, I feel like I have lost IQ points or something. I swear I used to be smarter than I am now.

I think everyone feels like that, even if you've never been punched in the head once. When you were younger you had less things to worry about so it was easier to remember trivial stuff.

Getting punched in the head doesn't help things though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so what's up with Dana's mom? All I've ever seen about her is she's real mad at him over money she thinks she's owed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

so what's up with Dana's mom? All I've ever seen about her is she's real mad at him over money she thinks she's owed.

Dana's mother wasn't a big part of his childhood, and she's very upset that now that he's rich he hasn't tried to get back in contact with her in any way ($$$). So she wrote a tell-all book in collaboration with Jerry Millen where the first chapter involves how much he resembled Satan when he was born.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2013

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

quote:

- Don't delve too deep into Zuffa financials. This goes for fighter pay, revenue, money donated to political campaigns. This is Dana's biggest pet peeve. Because they are a private company, it's almost impossible to verify actual financial numbers for any of these subjects. Even if you have two good sources verifying your information, there are still a lot of things they do behind the scenes that makes it a really tough subject to get right.

There are all kinds of under-the-table bonuses paid to fighters, from the top of the card all the way to the bottom. I have personally, with my own two eyes, seen a fighter who made $8,000 to show and $8,000 to win be handed a check for $45,000 after his fight ended because they were so happy with the excitement of his bout. This is not a random occurence - it happens multiple times per event, every event.

Nothing pisses Dana off more than people talking about Zuffa's financials and getting everything wrong. There is literally no way to grasp everything they do with their money, so there's no point in trying to speculate.

This is a very good way to piss them off and find yourself blacklisted. Stay away from it.
It's not so much that the UFC is controlling the journalists, that much is obvious. It's that their excuses are so flimsy.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I feel like I see guys suffer a concussion and continue getting beat on all the time in MMA. I mean as a Frankie Edgar fan can you really deny it? Maybe they don't go fully out but I think plenty of fights go on well after the guy would be wrestling the ref if he stepped in.

I mean if we're just talking about guys who are out cold I don't know that boxing is too much worse. A boxing ref is generally going wave off a fight where a guy is out like a light without doing any kind of count. I also don't think it's uncommon in boxing for the fight to be stopped just because one fighter looks badly outclassed and the ref doesn't see any point in letting a one-sided beatdown continue, even though they're clearly awake and fighting back.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Dana's mother wasn't a big part of his childhood, and she's very upset that now that he's rich he hasn't tried to get back in contact with her in any way ($$$). So she wrote a tell-all book in collaboration with Jerry Millen where the first chapter involves how much he resembled Satan when he was born.

I grabbed that before getting on a plane without realizing it was written by Dana's mother, hoping that it would have some interesting behind the scenes stuff on UFC. After basically flipping through it I get the impression that Dana's mother is on par with Tony Soprano's.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

quote:

Don't "report" things unless you have two very credible sources. Don't take a rumor and post it as fact.

They literally need to be reminded what journalism is.

This memo isn't telling their writing staff how to 'handle the UFC', its trying to educate them on how to actually conduct themselves in a semblance of a professional manner.

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 13, 2013

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't see a single unreasonable thing on that list.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MycroftXXX posted:

This memo isn't telling their writing staff how to 'handle the UFC', its trying to educate them on how to actually conduct themselves in a semblance of a professional manner.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It's journalism 101 poo poo, really. Keep it poignant, don't be a mouth piece for anyone, and confirm your sources. When there's only one game in town, and there's no duty to have posted and open meetings, don't needlessly piss off the management. Someone get me a list of good MMA contacts. It's time to turn my profession into my hobby, and get SASMMA reporting to where it needs to be!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

There's a huge problem with the financials thing. By telling them not to publish regardless of their number of sources, it provides a chilling effect on any financial discussion, which means the UFC has an edge on controlling their fighters.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grifter posted:

There's a huge problem with the financials thing. By telling them not to publish regardless of their number of sources, it provides a chilling effect on any financial discussion, which means the UFC has an edge on controlling their fighters.

The memo explains in detail why financial speculation regarding a private company is stupid and unethical, and even if a fighter shows off checks he got or whatever you still don't know if those are the only checks he got.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The memo explains in detail why financial speculation regarding a private company is stupid and unethical, and even if a fighter shows off checks he got or whatever you still don't know if those are the only checks he got.
No it doesn't. It says "You might not get a full view of a fighter's pay, therefore don't talk about it all and definitely don't talk about things that are completely unrelated like revenue and campaign donations". There's plenty of ways for reporters to talk about these subjects and be clear about exactly how much they can or cannot confirm, but this memo is throwing a blanket on a much broader discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Grifter posted:

No it doesn't. It says "You might not get a full view of a fighter's pay, therefore don't talk about it all and definitely don't talk about things that are completely unrelated like revenue and campaign donations". There's plenty of ways for reporters to talk about these subjects and be clear about exactly how much they can or cannot confirm, but this memo is throwing a blanket on a much broader discussion.

It's a memo specifically aimed at Bleacher Report "writers" who have to be told that they need sources to begin with and not to make Dana White's mom jokes. These are not people who are in a position to have a learned discussion on fighter pay. Most of them are doing stuff like slideshows of Arianny's best outfits.

• Locked thread