Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It happens all over. A few years ago a ship carrying about 500 Tamil Tigers was spotted trying to enter west coast Canadian waters.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/13/bc-tamil-ship-migrants-esquimalt.html

FOB (fresh off the boat) is a common pejorative here that is used for Asian immigrants of all types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This had been in the recesses of my mind for a while, but thanks to modern technology all I had to do was type into YouTube "candy jazz band movie theater" and it brought up the old General Cinema theater bumper of which I had vague and fond memories.

Anyone else remember seeing this before some awsome/awful 90s flic? Starts at 6:50 if the time link doesn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5mNAZ_bGjE&t=410s

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Demolition Man is on TV right now. Despite taking place in the 2030's, it's extremely 90's. Especially Simon Phoenix's outfit:

Neon t-shirt, giant overalls, and bleached hair.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Demolition Man is on TV right now. Despite taking place in the 2030's, it's extremely 90's. Especially Simon Phoenix's outfit:

Neon t-shirt, giant overalls, and bleached hair.

Well, yeah; he was put into cryo-freeze in '96.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

And Judge Dredd or whoever that short man in a weird cop suit was eventually taught to use the three seashells. Snipes would probably have just been so far in character (stoned out of his mind) that he would shout obscenities at the director until he got a another copy of the script and use that.

Thus proving that Blade is greater than Rocky.

"You wanna go for a jog with an old man on his bicycle? You ran up some steps? Have a little montage about how you're gonna beat up some guy no one can give a gently caress about? I'll be in my trailer getting bladzed."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, but those clothes were stolen from the "present" (i.e., the 2030's, or whenever it takes place.)

So it seems in the 2030's, we'll all wear re-hashes of bad 90's fashion, and then those long, stupid robes.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

DrBouvenstein posted:

So it seems in the 2030's, we'll all wear re-hashes of bad 90's fashion, and then those long, stupid robes.

At least in 2013 a shitload of people are doing it already. Perhaps Demolition Man was pure clairvoyance.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I think I found the most 90s candy. It's a powder, but when you chew it it turns into gum and I think also becomes blue. I have no idea who would think this is a good product.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The late 90's Ska boom was pretty huge in the Pacific Northwest. A lot of kids in baseball pants, checkered ties and fedoras. We traveled like two hours or so up the highway to see The Toasters when they came by and that was a huge deal at the time. It was also pretty tied to the whole Warped Tour scene, and a lot of the second stringer bands were all Ska and Ska-punk bands.

For some reason Christian teenagers in the 90's loved ska-punk. I have no idea why it was that specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLHba9n4X8

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Alright, I think I found the most 90s candy. It's a powder, but when you chew it it turns into gum and I think also becomes blue. I have no idea who would think this is a good product.

Man I always wanted that as a kid but for some reason my parents wouldn't let me buy any

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

happyflurple posted:

Man I always wanted that as a kid but for some reason my parents wouldn't let me buy any

I had it at least once. It had a really strange mouthfeel, like cold flour, until it became a glob of lovely quality gum.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

happyflurple posted:

They probably didn't want you to fall into a diabetic coma.

My parents wouldn't let me get a Virtual Boy. I wanted one so bad, but it had that warning label that said it could damage your eyes. The local mall had a supermarket and a Zellers as its anchor tenants, and I would play Warioland on the demo unit for 20 minutes at a time while my mom was over at the supermarket getting groceries. I wonder how many other kids wanted one and couldn't get it because of that warning label.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Non Serviam posted:

At least in 2013 a shitload of people are doing it already. Perhaps Demolition Man was pure clairvoyance.

If Demolition Man can predict iPads and Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming the Governor of California, then surely there will be a cyber-punk fashion revival in the not too distant future.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

magic pantaloons posted:

If Demolition Man can predict iPads and Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming the Governor of California, then surely there will be a cyber-punk fashion revival in the not too distant future.

Still waiting on those Fast Food Wars.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They probably didn't want you to fall into a diabetic coma.

My parents wouldn't let me get a Virtual Boy. I wanted one so bad, but it had that warning label that said it could damage your eyes. The local mall had a supermarket and a Zellers as its anchor tenants, and I would play Warioland on the demo unit for 20 minutes at a time while my mom was over at the supermarket getting groceries. I wonder how many other kids wanted one and couldn't get it because of that warning label.

Considering how lovely the Virtual Boy was, in your case the phrase "A mother knows best" surely applies.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Non Serviam posted:

Considering how lovely the Virtual Boy was, in your case the phrase "A mother knows best" surely applies.

Jesus, Virtual Boy WAS horrible. And yet, for the brief period of time that I owned one, I played the hell out of it. It made me physically ill and I wound up hurting my neck because I didn't have a proper stand for it. I think I only liked it because nobody else I knew had one.

Yeah, I could do without having had that experience.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It was horrible, but in 1995 I was ten years old, it had Mario games, and it looked like something from a science fiction movie. I'm sure I'm not the only kid that wanted one when it first came out.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

For some reason Christian teenagers in the 90's loved ska-punk. I have no idea why it was that specifically.

The olde timey feel soothed their paranoid overprotective parents regardless of the "message" of the lyrics and whether or not satan might be involved. Especially compared to rap or metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiYp8xKjLM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I miss Scatman John :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnQCk0u49w

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Pope Guilty posted:

I found myself at a Fiveiron show in 2001 and it was one of the weirdest loving experiences of my entire life.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Pope Guilty posted:

I had to google them.

Found a very 90s fan page on Angelfire:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/fiveironfrenzy/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rambling Robot posted:

I had to google them.

Found a very 90s fan page on Angelfire:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/fiveironfrenzy/

code:
<marquee> Welcome to my page! </marquee>
Oh man this thing belongs in a museum :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been getting into MAME lately and revisiting all of my favourite games. Everyone knows the golden age of arcades as being in the 80s, but arcades in the 90s were something special. Especially the Midway games and Sega Model 2 games.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

I've been getting into MAME lately and revisiting all of my favourite games. Everyone knows the golden age of arcades as being in the 80s, but arcades in the 90s were something special. Especially the Midway games and Sega Model 2 games.

E: PYF rule #1 label your youtubs. This would be the original arcade soundtrack for Daytona USA as sung by some guy who would probably own you at karaoke but it's still amazingly terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwxrdpuGtI

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 13, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

This right here was my cousin and I's go to game at arcades in the 90's:

Lucky and Wild.

Though I never understood why, if it's Lucky's car, Wild is the one driving...:iiam:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Daytona USA's music makes me crack a smile every time I listen to it. :allears:

Going back a few pages here but Craig Charles (from Red Dwarf) was the host of Robot Wars from season 2 onward. Season 1 was hosted by Jeremy Clarkson back when he still had a full head of hair.

Apparently between tapings the audience would sing the Red Dwarf theme to piss off Craig.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of ska, I loved The Aquabats as a kid. I think a lot of their music holds up surprisingly well, though. I occasionally play Aquabats vs. The Floating Eye of Death. Chemical Bomb is such a pretty song.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Pope Guilty posted:

Because there really weren't any alternatives back then. You listened to MxPx and Five Iron Frenzy because your options outside of that were Stephen Curtis Chapman, DC Talk, and Newsboys, and your parents won't let you buy any other CD's and you don't have the internet because of satan.com. The ad executive who invented 90's Christian music was a loving marketing genius.

Content: This is literally the best Christian music band from the 90's.
Take a shot every time someone steals a pose from a Backstreet Boys video.
edit: they later went on to become a moderately successful band called Mutemath

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Radio Help posted:

Because there really weren't any alternatives back then. You listened to MxPx and Five Iron Frenzy because your options outside of that were Stephen Curtis Chapman, DC Talk, and Newsboys, and your parents won't let you buy any other CD's and you don't have the internet because of satan.com. The ad executive who invented 90's Christian music was a loving marketing genius.

This is true. I liked FIF in part because they were as happy to yell at other Christians for being dicks as anything else- I saw them at some Christian music festival in Kentucky and their singer gave a little speech about how homophobia is a sin and needs to be purged from the church, just before singing a song about his experience overcoming it and realizing what a jerk he'd been.

These are the two arcade games that I think of when I think of the 90's:

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I was lucky enough to grow up near one of those really ghetto arcades that were stocked almost entirely with beat-up old Japanese cabs, so I got pretty drat good at this:

Virtual On is the poo poo.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Wanamingo posted:

The one I had didn't become blue. Also, one of my friends had the amazing idea to bring it to my house at a pool party. People got it poured in their hands and the gum "disappeared" but the sticky hands didn't.

Does anyone else remember this? I saw an animatronic bug thing at the Westfield Mall in my area way back when I was a kid, probably around '98, '99. This pic is more recent but I can't find any pics of it from before. This exhibit is called "Xtreme Bugs".

DrHerpington has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Aug 13, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

DrBouvenstein posted:

This right here was my cousin and I's go to game at arcades in the 90's:

Lucky and Wild.

Though I never understood why, if it's Lucky's car, Wild is the one driving...:iiam:

He probably has a DUI.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrHerpington posted:

The one I had didn't become blue. Also, one of my friends had the amazing idea to bring it to my house at a pool party. People got it poured in their hands and the gum "disappeared" but the sticky hands didn't.

Does anyone else remember this? I saw an animatronic bug thing at the Westfield Mall in my area way back when I was a kid, probably around '98, '99. This pic is more recent but I can't find any pics of it from before. This exhibit is called "Xtreme Bugs".

When I was a kid the museum near me had a display of giant anamatronic bugs, featuring a huge spider in the middle.

I was like 6 at the time and that loving nightmare spider scarred me for life :ohdear:

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Wanamingo posted:

I gagged a little bit upon seeing that and then thought of another "I can't believe I ate that as a kid" candy:

totally awesome to a kid, though that picture looks a little obscene.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

DrHerpington posted:

That photo is actually from my local mall where I grew up - no recollection of bugs, but I remember seeing similar things with dinosaurs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Lava Lamp posted:

I gagged a little bit upon seeing that and then thought of another "I can't believe I ate that as a kid" candy:

The 90's sure did have a lot of weird, "gimmick" candy (though for all I know, so did the 2000's and today, and I'm just too old to notice.)

have some candy rocks. No, not rock candy, but candy rocks:

With a :krad: dinosaur mascot because 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Vn_D4bKwo

Edit: Ok, the voice of that dino Rocky D is familiar...sounds like the guy who did Michelangelo's voice on TMNT.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

mactheknife posted:

That photo is actually from my local mall where I grew up - no recollection of bugs, but I remember seeing similar things with dinosaurs.

What mall is that? It's definitely in Chicago or the suburbs from the display, but I can't place it.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

DrBouvenstein posted:

The 90's sure did have a lot of weird, "gimmick" candy (though for all I know, so did the 2000's and today, and I'm just too old to notice.)

have some candy rocks. No, not rock candy, but candy rocks:

With a :krad: dinosaur mascot because 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Vn_D4bKwo

Edit: Ok, the voice of that dino Rocky D is familiar...sounds like the guy who did Michelangelo's voice on TMNT.

I never saw this ad on TV, but I came across it in a tonne of comic books:

I pictured his voice totally different.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
As a kid that commercial annoyed me, because his name is Rocky D but his varsity jacket says "BR"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lava Lamp posted:

Hah, I remember that too. Between that and the bubble tape I think Hubba Bubba made the worst of the 90s candy.

• Locked thread