Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I could do without the quote, but yeah. I like the alt cover with the head in the street, too.

This one?

It helps that it accurately sums up the movie in one neat image, much like the Cabin in the Woods blu-ray a few posts up the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Not sure what counts as special edition but I'm going to post these anyways:

Memento

Reservoir Dogs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Optimist with doubt posted:

Does the blu-ray of highlander come with a stand?

No, that's just the only good photo I could find of it.

Almost forgot this one:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Remember all the blue ectoplasm in Ghostbusters?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Remember all the blue ectoplasm in Ghostbusters?

Most of the previous covers showed it as green, which is just as inaccurate. It looks better than the actual pink and clear slime in the movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

With the giant sword, my brain keeps trying to read this as 'Thighlander' for some awful reason.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

(yeah, VHS cover, but I don't think this cut ever got a theatrical release)

Circled: Things appearing in this film. Green X: Things not appearing in this film.

Not only are there no flying horses in the film, it is set in a world where horses do not exist in any way shape or form. Also there are no robots, and the protagonist is not a man.

Now, now, now, the thing off to the right does show up in the film. It's one of the God Warriors during the opening segment over the "Seven Days Of Fire".

Fake edit: Holy poo poo, apparently, Hideki Anno of Evangelion fame (and had been a key animator on Nausicaa) directed a live action short about the "Seven Days Of Fire", with Miyazaki's approval, called A Giant God Warrior Appears Over Tokyo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I initially disliked the Super 8 blu-ray for being garish and showing you nothing about the actual movie, now I dislike it for being one of those posters that only means anything if you're "in" on the joke.

It's not a monochrome vector of a prop but it's still a reference you have to "get" for the design to make any sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vagabundo posted:

This one?

It helps that it accurately sums up the movie in one neat image, much like the Cabin in the Woods blu-ray a few posts up the page.

That's the one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Fake edit: Holy poo poo, apparently, Hideki Anno of Evangelion fame (and had been a key animator on Nausicaa) directed a live action short about the "Seven Days Of Fire", with Miyazaki's approval, called A Giant God Warrior Appears Over Tokyo.

Huh cool, I knew that Anno worked on Nausicaa, but I had NO idea about that short. Thank you! :aaa:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

a kitten posted:

Huh cool, I knew that Anno worked on Nausicaa, but I had NO idea about that short. Thank you! :aaa:

The interesting thing about that is that it's practical effects with digital composition. I can't tell if the God Warrior is a puppet or a really thin guy in a suit (a la Alien) and a lot of the explosion effects and buildings crumbling are in-camera.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vagabundo posted:

This one?

Ooh I've never seen that one, that's fantastic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Young Freud posted:

The interesting thing about that is that it's practical effects with digital composition. I can't tell if the God Warrior is a puppet or a really thin guy in a suit (a la Alien) and a lot of the explosion effects and buildings crumbling are in-camera.

I looked it up and yeah, its a puppet, which is why when it moves its a little bit jerky in a really cool, alien way. It's a beautiful piece of special effects work, I wonder how many tiny scale models of Tokyo have been built and destroyed throughout the years.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Here is the best Blu-Ray cover.

It has everything that's in the movie, and has Stevie front and center, packing heat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I initially disliked the Super 8 blu-ray for being garish and showing you nothing about the actual movie, now I dislike it for being one of those posters that only means anything if you're "in" on the joke.

It's not a monochrome vector of a prop but it's still a reference you have to "get" for the design to make any sense.

Yeah, but it's a reference that's right there in the title and is kinda fundamental in that way- it's as much about the kids' experiences, which are bound up in their shooting a movie, as it is about the actual alien intruder business. The element of nostalgia makes sense.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maxwell Lord posted:

The element of nostalgia makes sense.

The gently caress ugly design however does not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Goddamn I love that 7 days of fire short. It has some lovely model work.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Young Freud posted:

Now, now, now, the thing off to the right does show up in the film. It's one of the God Warriors during the opening segment over the "Seven Days Of Fire".

Oh I know, I crossed it out because the picture suggests there's both a big god warrior whose head they're all standing on and a second, smaller one with the sword. And to be pedantic, unlike on the cover the ones in the seven days of fire clip have spears and don't have weird face whiskers

Also holy crap thanks for the short film link, I've never seen that. Interestingly, the major sequence that Anno worked on in Nausicaa WAS the God Warrior scene where it comes over the hill, blows up some ohmu then promptly melts

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

The posters for VHS/VHS-2, by comparison, do a great job showcasing a dead media format without being completely incomprehensible to 90% of the population or being ugly as sin.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It might have actually been better for them to go all the way with it instead of half rear end.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Nostalgia only works in design if people know what the hell they're supposed to feel nostalgic for. The number of people in the general public that even know that Super 8 means "film" is pretty low, the number of people that actually know what a box of Super 8 film looked like...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The posters for VHS/VHS-2, by comparison, do a great job showcasing a dead media format without being completely incomprehensible to 90% of the population or being ugly as sin.
It's funny cuz the posters for the VHS movies make more sense than the movies, which take place in the present and so there's no reason why anybody would be using VHS tapes for anything. The posters use the tape aspect of VHS to great effect, the movie could've used any method of storage and worked just as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It might have actually been better for them to go all the way with it instead of half rear end.

Seriously. Some grunge, or dinged up cardboard edges would've sold it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tliil posted:

Nostalgia only works in design if people know what the hell they're supposed to feel nostalgic for. The number of people in the general public that even know that Super 8 means "film" is pretty low, the number of people that actually know what a box of Super 8 film looked like...
It's funny cuz the posters for the VHS movies make more sense than the movies, which take place in the present and so there's no reason why anybody would be using VHS tapes for anything. The posters use the tape aspect of VHS to great effect, the movie could've used any method of storage and worked just as well.

I think the weirdness of them being mixed onto VHS from a variety of other sources is kind of the point in the film. The 2nd one went into this with one of the characters talking about how theirs a black market for all this, and hinting that there's going to be some kind of narrative told in the in between segments from now on with the series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I like it a lot more than the DVD and "unsleeved" Blu-Ray design, which is just sort of bland.

JMod
Dec 12, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

Here is the best Blu-Ray cover.

It has everything that's in the movie, and has Stevie front and center, packing heat.

The overall layout of this is fantastic, although I didn't even notice the 'The' at first (probably to try and tie it into this new remake) and that middle collage is loving atrocious.
Can someone who is a design major explain to me why this is so offensive because I know it's very wrong but I don't know why

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like this one:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I forgot all about that. It seems like exactly the kind of boring terrible movie I'd love to have.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

muike posted:

I forgot all about that. It seems like exactly the kind of boring terrible movie I'd love to have.

It's one of those concepts that you wonder how it's even possible to gently caress up. Yet...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Byzantine posted:

I like this one:

Isn't that the one where the moon rocks are actually spiders or something like that?

JMod posted:

The overall layout of this is fantastic, although I didn't even notice the 'The' at first (probably to try and tie it into this new remake) and that middle collage is loving atrocious.
Can someone who is a design major explain to me why this is so offensive because I know it's very wrong but I don't know why

I'm not a design expert by any means but all the bits of the collage have different styles and colours and it looks like a total mess. Steve on the bed in particular is just straight from the film and they should've put a filter over it to make it match everything else. The gun also makes the composition weirdly stretched out because there's now this big blank space in the middle.

This is a really nice poster for the getaway.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Red Bones posted:

Isn't that the one where the moon rocks are actually spiders or something like that?

I'm not a design expert by any means but all the bits of the collage have different styles and colours and it looks like a total mess. Steve on the bed in particular is just straight from the film and they should've put a filter over it to make it match everything else. The gun also makes the composition weirdly stretched out because there's now this big blank space in the middle.

Why is there a smaller poster of the poster on the poster?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cacator posted:

Why is there a smaller poster of the poster on the poster?

The smaller one is the novel by Jim Thompson.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Some of them, yeah. I liked it, but I think I was the only one. :v:

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 12, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Some of them, yeah.

Didn't that happen in Red Planet too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red Bones posted:

It doesn't have a car though, given that the majority of the movie is them fleeing in various cars, a car would be nice.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Some of them, yeah. I liked it, but I think I was the only one. :v:

I really enjoyed it, too. It just had this odd sort of foreboding.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wouldn't that Ghostbusters cover be 50% more iconic and actually stand out more by having black behind the logo?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 12, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wouldn't that Ghostbusters cover be 50% more iconic and actually stand out more by having black behind the logo?

Yeah, but how you know its a blu-ray unless its smeared with blue poo poo?

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
The Ghostbusters logo poster is almost as iconic as the Jurassic Park logo poster. It's a shame that any cover would have anything else on it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And '89 Batman.
At least with the boxset re releases they still just have the emblem, but it's all made of stone and gritted up. Also, the font is some terrible metallic thing.
I get that they were all packaged together and Batman has a different font to Returns, but looking at the original plain white Batman Returns title right now on it's poster is crashing warm, glorious waves of nostalgia over me.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Young Freud posted:

The smaller one is the novel by Jim Thompson.

So the movie poster has a small advertisement for the book the movie was based on, the cover of which is the movie poster that you're looking at.

They were way ahead of their time there. I wonder why that never caught on.