Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 348 days!
snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
the only acceptable username in that game should be tit-rear end andronicunt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hashtag Nascar posted:

lol, must be a pua

we're using "garbage man" now fyi

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
help me build a free to play mmorpg in starcraft II (game client required to be purchased through blizzard as the free version wont let you play on the arcade as far as Im aware)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
if that's actually possible just through the starcraft editor that's kinda rad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yodzilla posted:

if that's actually possible just through the starcraft editor that's kinda rad

why would you play a clunky lovely mmo when there are already plenty to choose from

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i didn't say i'd play it i just think it's kinda neat if the editor is that flexible

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i like how grandiose their plan is but their budget is 5,000

you can't find a single programmer willing to code that poo poo and make something decent for 5k so obviously a cut and run kickstart. and what is with all these kick starter knockoffs using the same page elements and headers lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

or is it yet another case of thinking that coming up with the ideas is the hard part, and programming is just typing those ideas into a computer - i.e. glorified data entry

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

meusingacomputer.gif

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sweevo posted:

or is it yet another case of thinking that coming up with the ideas is the hard part, and programming is just typing those ideas into a computer - i.e. glorified data entry

this is probably closer to the truth it just seems like such a ridiculous opinion, as if every person alive doesn't have the ability to come up with ideas

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hubris.height posted:

this is probably closer to the truth it just seems like such a ridiculous opinion, as if every person alive doesn't have the ability to come up with ideas

what if we sold heroin to children boom another billion dollar idea

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Al! posted:

what if we sold heroin to children boom another billion dollar idea

please fund my smack-starter the rewards are painkillers

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
kickstarter is tripping over itself lately to make fan made project of expensive well defended names

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747939120/starcraft-universe?ref=recently_launched

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

penus de milo posted:

Someone's been watching Click

yeah, i love how breathlessly optimistic and loving of every idea it is, in a way that makes wired look like the loving nuremberg trials

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hubris.height posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246449&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post399726443

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

To be fair this is pretty much how the games industry works "hey do you want to work in VIDEO GAMES? all you have to do is work longer hours for much much less pay than anybody with an equivalent level of experience in your field"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

yeah, but the person saying that isn't usually a guy with nothing to offer except 500 pages of anime doodles and gun statistics

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
as a matter of interest is "game scriptwriter" a job that actually exists? because with a couple of notable exceptions most games have plots and dialogue that makes twilight slashfic look good, so i've always assumed they're just smashed together in a spare ten minutes by the devs between colouring everything brown and working on the jiggle physics

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

as a matter of interest is "game scriptwriter" a job that actually exists? because with a couple of notable exceptions most games have plots and dialogue that makes twilight slashfic look good, so i've always assumed they're just smashed together in a spare ten minutes by the devs between colouring everything brown and working on the jiggle physics

places that "care" tend to hire genre fiction hacks or children thereof (writing talent is hereditary, you see)

otherwise it's whoever draws the short straw in the "idea guy" department

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

its a real position, but bioware has a bunch of them and, well, yehhhh

i dont know what actual qualifications they care about but they seem to almost always have english degrees but are loving awful writers

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

i love it when people like this show up

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

goddamnedtwisto posted:

valve hired some sci-fi writer (who was workign a day job as a legal secretary) named Marc Laidlaw for halflife and Clive Barker's Undying was p. good.

so basically no, at best they'll hire some jobber to turn out a few bits of prose or just have a designer or producer do it

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

hubris.height posted:

and what is with all these kick starter knockoffs using the same page elements and headers lol

please crowdfund my new crowdfunding platform startkicker, it's not stealing their concept (and css stylesheets) it's just a fan project

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

has anyone else noticed that skyrim dialogue literally sounds like someone reading prose out loud. like, not reading a script but reading dialogue in a book.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

WorkingPeer posted:

has anyone else noticed that skyrim dialogue literally sounds like someone reading prose out loud. like, not reading a script but reading dialogue in a book.

i have no idea what was up with skyrim's writing but it was pretty fuckin terrible. i mean they even did some completely incomprehensible poo poo like have 8 different voice actors record the exact same line instead of use it as an opportunity to inject more actual life into the world

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
for some reason oblivion and both fallouts did that as well, no idea about morrowind

i figured it was so they could easily program in the lengths of voice clips and reuse lip syncing animation idk i've never worked with that engine

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Al! posted:

why would you play an mmo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

for some reason oblivion and both fallouts did that as well, no idea about morrowind

i figured it was so they could easily program in the lengths of voice clips and reuse lip syncing animation idk i've never worked with that engine

it seems like recording dialog with actual actors would be a lot more expensive than redoing lip sync but who knows

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WorkingPeer posted:

i always assumed that was a ~high fantasy universe~ thing, dialogue in fantasy books is always loving terrible and cloth-eared, which is why so many nerds have such terrible prose styles. it's probably a vicious cycle.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there are game scriptwriter positions, but most of the time they don't go to anyone w/ significant writing experience b/c "writing is easy i can do it give the job to me"

also the lead designer is likely an artist or programmer who hasn't written a line in his life, but by god he knows exactly how he wants the characters to act and sound*

*like the people from a bad scifi movie

nb: this is second-hand from Angry People Who Make Videogames. honked will probably come in and correct me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

coffeetable posted:

nb: this is second-hand from Angry People Who Make Videogames.
i followed that comic for a bit but i quit when i realized that i only cared about the anonymous anecdotes, did it ever pick up?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Vicas posted:

please crowdfund my new crowdfunding platform startkicker, it's not stealing their concept (and css stylesheets) it's just a fan project

all_kickstarters.txt

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

coffeetable posted:

there are game scriptwriter positions, but most of the time they don't go to anyone w/ significant writing experience b/c "writing is easy i can do it give the job to me"

also the lead designer is likely an artist or programmer who hasn't written a line in his life, but by god he knows exactly how he wants the characters to act and sound*

*like the people from a bad scifi movie

nb: this is second-hand from Angry People Who Make Videogames. honked will probably come in and correct me

serious question, why does no one ever hire ppl with actual proven writing skills for 'james writing'. i dont even expect some big name scifi or fantasy dude, but id take like a tv screenwriter from a semi-competent show or smth over a dumb manchild retard that only knows bidya game stories. is it really that much more expensive.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

serious question, why does no one ever hire ppl with actual proven writing skills for 'james writing'. i dont even expect some big name scifi or fantasy dude, but id take like a tv screenwriter from a semi-competent show or smth over a dumb manchild retard that only knows bidya game stories. is it really that much more expensive.

because writing for video games is probably the last writing job youll ever be able to get

anything serious will probably dumpster your resume the second they see MASS EFFECT IV

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
it's also because writing always has to take a backseat to gameplay so even a really good writer would still be at the whim of the head dev with a "vision" for the story so even if you write something competent it can only come to fruition if all those sections you wrote for are really in the game

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

because writing for video games is probably the last writing job youll ever be able to get

anything serious will probably dumpster your resume the second they see MASS EFFECT IV

i dont think if it would be that hard to find some aspiring writer desperate for some extra moneys. idk, even if they had to work around some dumb higherups stupid ideas, it still wouldve been at least competent maybe?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

software development and cohesive narrative are kind of at odds with each other, like if 2 months from release it's like "oh poo poo we have to cut this level because we can't get it to run acceptably on a PS3" and the writer would have to re-write like the whole game

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

qirex posted:

software development and cohesive narrative are kind of at odds with each other, like if 2 months from release it's like "oh poo poo we have to cut this level because we can't get it to run acceptably on a PS3" and the writer would have to re-write like the whole game

this happens in actual writing more often than you'd think

"i can't make this loving scene work, i'm going to scrap it and do everything it needed to do in some other chapters" etc

but the main reason that you don't see good writing in vidyagames is because they sell anyway, so there's no reason to hire actual writers (unless you're Valve or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Heresiarch posted:

but the main reason that you don't see good writing in vidyagames is because they sell anyway, so there's no reason to hire actual writers (unless you're Valve or something)

well, also, the biggest sellers tend to not even have meaningful plots to begin with. madden literally has no plot and cod's plots appear to be generated by sticking a guy in a room and forcing him to watch 12 tom clancy movies in a row and then spit out the first thing he comes up with (also nobody cares about single player)

i can't name a single game in the last decade where the plot was the main reason to play it to be honest

• Locked thread