Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

ZetsurinPower posted:

so my wonderful girlfriend bought me this Burmese cookbook and it looks great, but I have no experience with Burmese food. I'm a bit overwhelmed, this is the thickest niche-cuisine cookbook I own (350 pg). Does anyone have a recommendation for a starting point? What are the home run Burmese recipes?

http://www.amazon.com/Burma-Rivers-Flavor-Naomi-Duguid/dp/1579654134/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376081738&sr=8-2&keywords=burmese+cuisine

Cock scratchings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If hot sauce is fine ground red pepper in a vinegar suspension with a pH of ~3.5

And Sour Cream has a pH of ~4.5

Can I mix 10 tablespoons powdered cayanne pepper with one quart cream, mix, then add in SC starter culture? Will this create the ultimate Tex-Mex super-condiment, or a disgusting mess? Spicy Sour Cream (SSC?)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 11, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Interesting question.
I know that any chilli sauce to good for ages if it's at or under 4.4pH.
In fact I know I'm not reading your post right , because I don't play around with cultures at all, just chilli sauce with vinegar/lemon/lime.

Edit: you can ferment chilli sauces just like beer/wine just fine though if thats where you're heading.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 11, 2013

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Does anyone know of a Chrome extension that automatically converts recipes using the imperial system to the metric system? Would save a lot of time for me, as well as reducing the chance of making silly mistakes with the converting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've got a bunch of chicken legs and a mango. How can I combine these into something delicious?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Mango jerk chicken with scotch bonnets, habanero or yellow 7 pot chillies, coriander, salsa etc

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

PokeJoe posted:

I've got a bunch of chicken legs and a mango. How can I combine these into something delicious?

Blend up the mango, mix it with some honey and mustard and apply as a marinade?

---

I have radishes. I like radishes. I don't know what you can do with radishes. Frying them is fine, I can eat 'em raw but that's a bit dull...what are good things you can do with radishes? Is there a legendary radish recipe?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Salads or slice them and chuck them in a stir fry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Butter poached radishes

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

---

I have radishes. I like radishes. I don't know what you can do with radishes. Frying them is fine, I can eat 'em raw but that's a bit dull...what are good things you can do with radishes? Is there a legendary radish recipe?

Slice thin and marinate in lime juice and a little salt for an hour or so; nice refreshing side. Or just eat them the french way with good, room temperature butter and salt.

alf_attack
Jul 22, 2013
I bought a French press. I tried three times and I can't seem to make good, strong coffee. The directions say 1 scoop per 4oz cup. I have normal size mugs. So my question is, French press users, how many scoops would you suggest to make this all worth it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

alf_attack posted:

I bought a French press. I tried three times and I can't seem to make good, strong coffee. The directions say 1 scoop per 4oz cup. I have normal size mugs. So my question is, French press users, how many scoops would you suggest to make this all worth it?

What's your grind like? What size scoop? The best way to dose coffee is by weight not by volume. May I suggest reading the coffee thread OP? Some random dude wrote it, he's alright I guess :downs:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

BottledBodhisvata posted:

---

Sounds good.

Pickle your radishes.

alf_attack
Jul 22, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

What's your grind like? What size scoop? The best way to dose coffee is by weight not by volume. May I suggest reading the coffee thread OP? Some random dude wrote it, he's alright I guess :downs:

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Sticky Beethoven
Dec 22, 2010

i'm good
How bad for my moka pot is it to use it on a gas stove? I'm told that aluminium models like mine can melt if you expose them to too much heat. I also want to avoid damaging the finish if it can be avoided.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Aluminum needs 1200 degrees to melt, and your home gas stove is never going to reach those temperatures, especially with water inside them

Don't ever throw it in a dish washing machine though

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Steve Yun posted:

Aluminum needs 1200 degrees to melt, and your home gas stove is never going to reach those temperatures, especially with water inside them

Don't ever throw it in a dish washing machine though

Are dish washing machines really hotter than a gas range on high? :monocle:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No, they're not. However, dishwashering those things tends to make them discolour horribly, and look like 50 years old in one fell swoop.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

dino. posted:

No, they're not. However, dishwashering those things tends to make them discolour horribly, and look like 50 years old in one fell swoop.

Also it will gently caress up the seals.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Are dish washing machines really hotter than a gas range on high? :monocle:

Dishwashers use really harsh detergents which will chemically cause aluminum to oxidize, except instead of red like iron rust, it's some nasty black poo poo

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
That all makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanations.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I made spring rolls this morning with the intention to eat them for lunch. They kind of fell apart.

My need to cut back on the filling and roll them tighter notwithstanding, is there a way to not make the skins stick to each other, or do I need to plastic wrap them individually?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I bought some rhubarb last month and ate it straight. Because I realised I had no idea how it tasted when not in a pie with strawberries.
It was literally just red celery.

How badly will I gently caress up my strawberry pie if I put celery in it? I have so much celery.

edit: I was originally going to word it, "why won't my girlfriend let me put celery in her strawberry pie" but I thought better of it

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

ante posted:

I bought some rhubarb last month and ate it straight. Because I realised I had no idea how it tasted when not in a pie with strawberries.
It was literally just red celery.

There is something wrong with that rhubarb. It should not really taste like celery. Rhubarb is normally intensely sour. Nothing like celery.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Whenever I soffriggere celerey I've noticed it comes out amazingly sweet. I guess it could be the combination of the sugars in the carrots and onion, too, from the soffrito, but either way, softly sweating it before adding it to the strawberries would make it taste delicious, I would think.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I just got my first apartment and have little to no experience cooking beyond throwing frozen poo poo in oven and waiting awhile. What are some basic ingredients/tools/resources/whatever I should buy/look at to not live off toast for the rest of my life?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Crock pot, cast iron, sandwich press/foreman grill, sautee pan, stock pot is a nice mix that you can do pretty much everything with, and you build off of that (like more pots and pans so you don't just have one of each!). Also on the last page or two, there is a poor eating thread, a recipes with just a few ingredients thread and a cooking/food website and resources thread that would do you well!

Stores usually have one of those 10 piece cooking sets or whatever that would do you well. Someone more knowledgeable could give you something more your skill and price range.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Crock pot, cast iron, sandwich press/foreman grill, sautee pan, stock pot is a nice mix that you can do pretty much everything with, and you build off of that (like more pots and pans so you don't just have one of each!). Also on the last page or two, there is a poor eating thread, a recipes with just a few ingredients thread and a cooking/food website and resources thread that would do you well!

Stores usually have one of those 10 piece cooking sets or whatever that would do you well. Someone more knowledgeable could give you something more your skill and price range.

I was skimming through the poor food thread earlier and there are definitely some helpful stuff in there I am learning from, but I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest meal I can find, just maybe some fundamentals/cooking common sense that I lack.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

I just got my first apartment and have little to no experience cooking beyond throwing frozen poo poo in oven and waiting awhile. What are some basic ingredients/tools/resources/whatever I should buy/look at to not live off toast for the rest of my life?

Watch "good eats" with alton brown. I think hes probably the best starter course for nerds and cooking. I think it's still up on YouTube.

In the mean time, a George foreman grill is pretty useful. Trader Joe's is also pretty good for bachelor food. Try their ready to go sautee sauces. Brown some chicken, add sauce, serve over rice.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

So, I'm stuck at my parent's place for the week and there's no non-junk carbs in sight. Which isn't much of a problem, especially since I don't eat much bread anyways. The problem is that there's almost no seasoning on anything because my dad and brother are picky assholes. I've only been here for two days and I'm already sick of eating raw, plain, cauliflower.

As much as I'd like to sautee some veggies, its very rude for me to get up in the middle of a family dinner and cook my own meal. What can I do aside from put siracha on everything? They do have a well stocked fridge/pantry, but the thing is that it's completely stuffed full. I can't really make a batch of fridge pickles without playing fridge tetris for an hour.

I'm able to make my own breakfasts/lunches, but I'd like to know some way to deal with overcooked, bland, pork and raw cauliflower. Without just putting sugar-free barbecue sauce all over it.

I've found a bottle of chimmichurri, at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if the yeast I used in some pizza dough is alive or not, won't be able to tell until I come home from work. It was kind of old. If it's not, can I just get new yeast and add it to the dough later? And if there's no yeasting going on is having it sit out in a hot room for eight hours a problem?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like roasted cauliflower. Cut into pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast on a pan til golden brown. Top with parm

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How long and at what temperature should I cook duck legs for?

The recipe simply asks for BBQ duck and doesn't specify on details. It's for a cold Asian salad. The quicker method the better too. Thanks!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Get a good knife or two is pretty important. Using good knives when cooking increases the enjoyment of it, and makes it easier to make things and also reduced the chance that you'll cut yourself badly. Check out the knives thread for more information.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if the yeast I used in some pizza dough is alive or not, won't be able to tell until I come home from work. It was kind of old. If it's not, can I just get new yeast and add it to the dough later? And if there's no yeasting going on is having it sit out in a hot room for eight hours a problem?

I tried adding yeast once when I realized I had killed it by using water that was too hot but it ended in failure. In the future, when in doubt proof your yeast in an ounce or two of warm water. Mix it in, and come back a few minutes later. If it's not bubbling, it's probably dead.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

As much as I'd like to sautee some veggies, its very rude for me to get up in the middle of a family dinner and cook my own meal.

Yeah, it is. So instead, head the problem off at the pass and cook yourself something BEFORE the meal. That way you can still eat with the family, but not be the cooks way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried adding yeast once when I realized I had killed it by using water that was too hot but it ended in failure. In the future, when in doubt proof your yeast in an ounce or two of warm water. Mix it in, and come back a few minutes later. If it's not bubbling, it's probably dead.

Fortunately I came home to a near overflowing bowl of bubbly yeast farts so problem avoided.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

How long and at what temperature should I cook duck legs for?

The recipe simply asks for BBQ duck and doesn't specify on details. It's for a cold Asian salad. The quicker method the better too. Thanks!

It's probably asking you for char siu, which is kind of a pain and not fast at all to make at home. Duck legs need to be cooked at a low temperature for a large amount of time to break down the connective tissue into something more edible/delicious.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Ron Jeremy posted:

Watch "good eats" with alton brown. I think hes probably the best starter course for nerds and cooking. I think it's still up on YouTube.

It's still around.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I like roasted cauliflower. Cut into pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast on a pan til golden brown. Top with parm

Same, but I also add a little chili powder and cumin when roasting. No cheese though.

I've also taken the roasted cauliflower, mashed it a little with a fork, and put it on some toast with a little garlic oil to make a quick bruschetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you had a friend that just told you he has about 40lb of striped bass in his freezer, how would you cook it? Doesn't have to be all at once.

I assume these are not fillet, gutted then frozen whole fish.