Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really, really would like them to put a stop to weird out of culture/kingdom marriages for 99% of the rulers of the game.

I don't know. I find it really entertaining, especially looking at people's family trees to work out what got them where they are. I understand the frustration if you're wanting to play more of a 'medieval Europe sim' than a game though. Maybe they could have an option to turn on a realism mode for this kind of stuff. They did stop you marrying infidels quite so easily in one of the recent patches, so that's something. I'm guessing that for the Ummayad Duke (well, Duchess actually), a Muslim character was taken by vikings early on that subsequently converted to Christianity and forced them to convert before releasing them to marry a local and start a branch of the Ummayad family that gradually became ethnically and culturally assimilated into Northern Europe, eventually finding themselves with a duchy. I guess there's some argument for something of that nature happening historically, albeit very improbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lilli posted:

As a republic you can create a kingdom if there is no official holder to the title. Furthermore, if you get the pope to grant you an invasion on a kingdom you will gain the title after a successful invasion.

Yes, I know that, but what happens if the holder still has holdings outside of de jure Italy? Will I have to render him landless in order to destroy the title?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

canepazzo posted:

Patch 1.11 notes are out, and Norse got nerfed quite a bit:

GAMEPLAY

- Slowed down fleet movement
- Increased movement time for armies onto or off fleets

You mean "players got nerfed". Wow. We'll have to see exactly how much they've slowed these things down, but I have to imagine navy bombs will be a lot less effective now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

toasterwarrior posted:

Yes, I know that, but what happens if the holder still has holdings outside of de jure Italy? Will I have to render him landless in order to destroy the title?

Without usurping the title yourself, pretty much.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Without usurping the title yourself, pretty much.

Well, poo poo. Thanks to both of you anyway; I guess I could console-claim it or something.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Also, quick question. I was under the impression that if you took a character's last landed title, any other titles they had would be destroyed. However, I was piddling about trying to unite Brittania and there's a three duchy duke with only two counties (no idea). I took his last duchy but rather than becoming unlanded and all of his vassals becoming independent counts, he seemed to just move to one of his vassal's counties and take it for himself. It's not a huge deal but I get sick of having to wait about 50 years to take five counties because of the loooong truces after each war, especially after they made truce-breaking much more costly (7000 prestige + -25 relations with every Catholic character? Yeah, I'll pass)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

canepazzo posted:

- Added 'intermarry' parameter to religions, so you can specify if members tend to marry those of specific other religions

So with some modding you'd be able to make it so that you could get round the 'won't marry infidel' thing?

I mean it'd be better if it was based upon disposition, so if you are 100 with a ruler he'll agree to marry someone from his court to you even if you are an infidel.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dallan Invictus posted:

You mean "players got nerfed". Wow. We'll have to see exactly how much they've slowed these things down, but I have to imagine navy bombs will be a lot less effective now.

It needed to happen, it was absurd that it was faster to get a whole army onto a boat and disembark just to move 2 provinces away. It was also stupid how raiders never actually got into battles because they could get to their ships before anyone from an adjacent province could move to catch them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ThomasPaine posted:

(7000 prestige + -25 relations with every Catholic character? Yeah, I'll pass)

Its not 7000 prestige - its half of your prestige. So if you have 50 prestige you lose 25, if you have 50,000 prestige, you lose 25,000. Also the "Trucebreaker" Diplomacy hit.

About the naval movement changes: It makes sense but I will enjoy the game a little less because one of my favourite things is what a friend of mine termed "boat faggotry".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So uh what are the prequisites to become a Finnic court diviner, exactly? I can't appoint a single one of my courtiers other than the Learning 2 holy man I had to conjure up. I'm running CK2+, if that stirs the pot.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mickey McKey posted:

Its not 7000 prestige - its half of your prestige. So if you have 50 prestige you lose 25, if you have 50,000 prestige, you lose 25,000. Also the "Trucebreaker" Diplomacy hit.

About the naval movement changes: It makes sense but I will enjoy the game a little less because one of my favourite things is what a friend of mine termed "boat faggotry".

Ah, fair enough. Still, it's a pretty huge hit compared to the old 100 prestige for everyone way back a few patches ago.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scamtank posted:

So uh what are the prequisites to become a Finnic court diviner, exactly? I can't appoint a single one of my courtiers other than the Learning 2 holy man I had to conjure up. I'm running CK2+, if that stirs the pot.

It probably requires a theological upbringing

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
They need to add naval combat, I don't know why they don't.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having a gently caress off terrible time ever since I became the EMPIRE OF SCANDINAVIA.

I'm a republic and I have 3 king-level titles, the Most Serene Republic of Denmark, Finland, and Sweden. I also have a few duke level titles below me, too many in fact, but I'm just too greedy to not hold all the duke level titles for denmark and adjacent locations that form the core of my personal holdings. I can manage -20 relations due to it but ever since I got the kingdom of sweden I'm hosed with like -50 relations because I got all their duke titles and I CAN'T GIVE THEM AWAY!!

For some reason any duke title that is nested below Sweden I can't give away. I see that I hold them, I see a dude who wants them and is mad at me for having it, but I can't give it to them, it just doesn't show up on the list of titles I can give away. I even tried destroying the kingdom of sweden and all the duke titles (which of course put everyone at -100) and then re-creating them but the same problem. I hold them but I can't grant them to anyone.

Is my poo poo bugged ? Do I need to use the give_title cheat?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know. I find it really entertaining, especially looking at people's family trees to work out what got them where they are. I understand the frustration if you're wanting to play more of a 'medieval Europe sim' than a game though. Maybe they could have an option to turn on a realism mode for this kind of stuff. They did stop you marrying infidels quite so easily in one of the recent patches, so that's something. I'm guessing that for the Ummayad Duke (well, Duchess actually), a Muslim character was taken by vikings early on that subsequently converted to Christianity and forced them to convert before releasing them to marry a local and start a branch of the Ummayad family that gradually became ethnically and culturally assimilated into Northern Europe, eventually finding themselves with a duchy. I guess there's some argument for something of that nature happening historically, albeit very improbable.

I think it would be fairly easy to just add a mechanic where you can't marry outside the realm without a certain prestige.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mickey McKey posted:

Well, the notes mention that they export some kind of "naval move value cost" to the defines so you can possibly change it back to what it was before. I know I will. It makes sense that it is faster to load/unload to boats then what it takes for the army to travel several miles on land from province to province. Pretty sure they changed this because the AI is so loving stupid it doesn't understand that those 1000 boats just out of the coast they are moving into might possible contain several thousand men just waiting for their stupid asses to bumble into the province like there couldn't possibly be a trap set.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Belasarius posted:

They need to add naval combat, I don't know why they don't.

I think it is because they (Paradox) claim there wasn't any naval warfare during the time period the game tries to emulate.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

It needed to happen, it was absurd that it was faster to get a whole army onto a boat and disembark just to move 2 provinces away. It was also stupid how raiders never actually got into battles because they could get to their ships before anyone from an adjacent province could move to catch them.

Also now the instant embark/debark in controlled ports is actually valuable. Establishing a foothold and port of retreat will hopefully be more important than it was with 2 day embarks.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Will the patch break saved games?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Sam. posted:

Will the patch break saved games?

It doesn't add any new mechanics, so I doubt it. If it does, I'm sure they'll add a "beta" option in Steam like they did for 1.09.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TjyvTompa posted:

I think it is because they (Paradox) claim there wasn't any naval warfare during the time period the game tries to emulate.

There wasn't naval combat with cannons like several centuries later, but there sure were boardings. They should make embarked hostile armies engage if they meet in same sea; also add huge terrain boost for archers and light infantry and penalties for heavy infantry and all cavalry(since you can't ride horse on boat and heavy armor will sink you).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
So, I haven't played any CK2 DLCs, but just bought everything. Who should I play and when to get the best taste of new features?

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

gvibes posted:

So, I haven't played any CK2 DLCs, but just bought everything. Who should I play and when to get the best taste of new features?

If you want to experience as many new features as you can at once, start as a norse pagan, use your conquest CB to conquer Gottland, release Gottland as a merchant republic. Save and restart as Gottland. Then go raid and plunder the Catholics in the name of Odin and capitalism.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Byzantines. Legacy of Rome is fun with all the DLC events and a great overarching 'goal' to reform the roman empire. Might help to have something obvious to strive for while getting a hand on the game - the 867 start is pretty strong for them too if you're new and want a bit of lee-way.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The upside to that horrible thread was me discovering "The History of White People". Paradox forum-goers aren't all bad. :shobon:

(Don't read the 1-star Amazon reviews for the book, though).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

gvibes posted:

Avoid Aztek invasion.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Avoid Aztek invasion.

Unless you are playing in the east and want the west to get hosed like you will be.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

In which case also make sure to download the Zulu Invasion Mod to make sure the southern portion of the map gets equally hosed!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Avoid Aztek invasion.

An invasion by the world's ugliest car would be a scary event indeed. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

He's not kidding, that's a crime against cars.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Further proof that car design is where architects go to die, jesus christ.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Fiat Multipla makes the Aztek look like a Corvette by comparison. :colbert:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

TjyvTompa posted:

Well, there's always the Byzantines. Though that was less naval warfare and more Byzantines chasing down your fleet and applying Greek Fire.

Other than landings or in straits (which is where everyone is concerned) can you even intercept someone at sea?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Thanatz posted:

If you want to experience as many new features as you can at once, start as a norse pagan, use your conquest CB to conquer Gottland, release Gottland as a merchant republic. Save and restart as Gottland. Then go raid and plunder the Catholics in the name of Odin and capitalism.

Gotland starts out with 0 in trade practices technology in the 867 start and it will probably take closer to 150 years before you will be able to build your first tradepost. In the 1066 start Gotland has a trade practices tech of 2 and you will be able to build 3 trade posts.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Imo counties should have a mini-build site like a Trade post that can be developed and allows for you to build up a small number of shore garrison/militia and law buildings, I.e a sheriff's camp. Any hostile party has to defeat the garrison or be forced back to ships/not complete the planned move. Nothing expensive, and easily destroyed like a Trade post, so they won't stand up to an all out invasion, but enough to stop 15 man raids and stragglers from large armies - or even larger raids/rebellions if you invest in building them up.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

canepazzo posted:

- It's now possible to read additional data into existing landed titles in mods
- It's now possible to read additional data into existing religions in mods
I wonder what this means. Any ideas?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Maybe they could have an option to turn on a realism mode for this kind of stuff.

...Sometimes I wonder about this sort of thing. A lot of history is 'unrealistic' and 'ahistorical', if that makes sense. A lot of crazy things have happened, do happen, and continue to happen. And you reject this thing, and allow that thing, on this kind of basis?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
^^^Things like this did happen, yes, but there were limits on it that the game doesn't bother to model. A Fremch prince did marry a Russian princess in the CK2 era, but in the CK2 _game_ a French count's son can (and will, if the player is the count and she has big enough...stats) marry the random daughter of a Russian baron, where in reality they would almsot certainly never have known each other existed. Obviously concessions need to be made to gameplay, but I can understand that rubbing people the wrong way.

Strudel Man posted:

I wonder what this means. Any ideas?

I'm guessing that it means that you can change existing landed titles without having to make a specific version of that file for your mod. Sort of an "extend" mechanic for individual files rather than just folders (now that the former "one big file" approach has changed to "one folder, read all the text files in it").

(for example, something like echopapa's "cultural names" mod could be made without depending on CK2+'s landed_titles, because the mod package would just need to include "differences" for each title rather than all of the content)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 12, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm guessing that it means that you can change existing landed titles without having to make a specific version of that file for your mod. Sort of an "extend" mechanic for individual files rather than just folders (now that the former "one big file" approach has changed to "one folder, read all the text files in it").

(for example, something like echopapa's "cultural names" mod could be made without depending on CK2+'s landed_titles, because the mod package would just need to include "differences" for each title rather than all of the content)
Ah, yeah, that would make sense; they way they used "read" there was throwing me. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

^^^Things like this did happen, yes, but there were limits on it that the game doesn't bother to model. A Fremch prince did marry a Russian princess in the CK2 era, but in the CK2 _game_ a French count's son can (and will, if the player is the count and she has big enough...stats) marry the random daughter of a Russian baron, where in reality they would almsot certainly never have known each other existed. Obviously concessions need to be made to gameplay, but I can understand that rubbing people the wrong way.

Hunting for a good wife, ie. a woman with good stats, inheritable traits, claims or powerful family members for an alliance is a major part of the game. Of course this is unrealistic, but it is extremely fun. And if you want more realism, use the ring symbol to find suitable wifes/husbands. If you are a king and use this tool, you can only marry a foreign queen, empress, duchess, or daughters of kings/emperors. And lower ranking women from your own realm. The character finder was never intended as a tool to find the perfect wife.

• Locked thread