Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TL posted:

Playing this for the first time on my Wii U, and I'm loving the hell out of it. Quick question though: when does Jeff stop sucking? I just beat Belch in Saturn Valley, and up until now, Jeff is pretty much useless. His physical attack sucks compared to Ness, and he has no PSI abilities as of yet.

Regardless, I can't wait to see where this game goes next, because it's charming as hell. BOING!
When you're in Threed, talk to the guy in camo and sunglasses just north of the... Drugstore, I think. He's an arms dealer. Buy a bunch of Bottle Rockets.

Repeat this pattern every time you see one of those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

As Jeff's IQ rises, he can repair broken items that are in his inventory when you sleep at night. They become tools he can use to solidify enemies, drain HP, destroy shields, things like that. His power is in his utility, not strength. Problem is, those items take inventory space. The guide has a list of what becomes what at what IQ, so check into it and give them a try.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Hmm... I must of been overleveled for the majority of the game. After getting a few levels on him after he joined the party, i've never had an issue with Jeff.

He does almost as much physical damage as Ness, is faster, and if attacking isn't doing anything for him, he has 6 or 7 inventions in his inventory that are no doubt helpful in battle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, the broken bazooka will literally replace his physical attack forever once you fix it, which I think is 55 IQ? It's kind of lategame but it's worth keeping an eye on.

e: it was Scaraba for me, so not SUPER late...
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 12, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, the broken bazooka will literally replace his physical attack forever once you fix it, which I think is 55 IQ? It's kind of lategame but it's worth keeping an eye on.

It's not super late. Jeff has been my MVP this playthrough, whereas I used to rely on Ness before I understood things better. Keep broken items in his inventory, buy bottle rockets when you can afford them, and you'll fall in love soon.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's no news to anyone that Bottle Rockets are the strongest weapon in the entire game, but most of Jeff's utility items are definitely the poo poo when they finally get fixed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's no news to anyone that Bottle Rockets are the strongest weapon in the entire game, but most of Jeff's utility items are definitely the poo poo when they finally get fixed.

Hungry HP sucker, anyone? He's like James Bond without the sex. Or maybe he needs hotels to repair items because...

EDIT: The Sword of Kings is a stupid item. That said, I'm sure you get more green swirls from attacking Starmen head on than from behind, at least here in Stonehenge.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 12, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hungry HP sucker, anyone? He's like James Bond without the sex. Or maybe he needs hotels to repair items because...

EDIT: The Sword of Kings is a stupid item. That said, I'm sure you get more green swirls from attacking Starmen head on than from behind, at least here in Stonehenge.

Yeah, it seems like despite what their sprite says they're always facing toward the top of the screen. When I bump them from the bottom it's green swirl o'clock.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I want to share my appreciation for the Mad Ducks, who do nothing but silence you and drain your PP, yet they're all over that little mini dungeon Jeff goes through by himself.

The Mad Duck made something spin around! :ducksiren:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I want to share my appreciation for the Mad Ducks, who do nothing but silence you and drain your PP, yet they're all over that little mini dungeon Jeff goes through by himself.

The Mad Duck made something spin around! :ducksiren:

I actually got poked in the eye by one last night for 8 damage with Jeff, so they potentially do damage...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Poor Poo. He is a really cool character with a neat back story and cool specific items, but near the end game he just gets ruined by status effects and things like that. I feel like his items should each have a similar effect as the star pendant does, so that when he is fully decked out with his sword etc, he is immune to most status effects.

Sword = Franklin Badge
Bracer = immune to basic status effect
Crown = immune to instant KO effects
Cloak = immune to PSI effects (Flash, Fire, Freeze)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ETB posted:

I actually got poked in the eye by one last night for 8 damage with Jeff, so they potentially do damage...

It's too bad they didn't do something like "The Mad Duck pecked out your eyes! ...But Jeff's glasses protected them."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tliil posted:

Putting intentionally lovely weapons into the game is one of the worst things EB does. I hate that "hahaha, read the manual suckers!" poo poo that old RPGs pulled.

Yes, I too hate reading the manual.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If only there was a RPG where all you had to do was hold forward & press X a lot

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Genocyber posted:

There are a number of circumstances where a person wouldn't have access to the manual.

I recently replayed this game, and I didn't realize how awesome the Earth Pendant from Magicant is. I went ahead and bought three of those fuckers just so everyone could get one.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

triplexpac posted:

If only there was a RPG where all you had to do was hold forward & press X a lot

Final Fantasy XIII

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Donkringel posted:

Alright, so confusion here. I updated my wii and hooked it up to the internet but i cannot find earthbound on the virtual console. Am I missing something here or did Nintendo backpedal?

You're missing a WAD to install on your Wii. Check this video and read the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxujjaUA4_M
Head over to the Wiibrew thread and read around if none of this makes sense.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676

That's the only way you're getting it for the virtual console on your system. Consider emulators since there's a good SNES emu on the Wii, or getting an entire Wii U for it since that's not much more expensive than buying an SNES and Earthbound cart. Getting a Wii U for Earthbound is the best thing you can do and the only way of giving Nintendo your money for the game short of time travel.

When Nintendo introduces PC browser based account access and purchases I'm gonna buy it through there and never play it because I want to give em my money for Earthbound but hell if I'm getting a Wii U for Earthbound. I was a Sega kid and I didn't know what Earthbound was until Smash Bros. Melee and by then emulators were my only practical way of experiencing it.

Bean posted:

What is wrong with that retroquest link? I've tried it in different browsers on different machines at different times of the day and I get a 403 no matter what.
Sorry man for me it "just works." Maybe you have to register an account on the site?
http://store.retroquestgames.com/other.html#!/~/product/category=5904008&id=26682452
Maybe start at the top and navigate down? It's in the Other section.
http://store.retroquestgames.com/

Cyrix311
Jul 13, 2002

It's tough to make friends around here.
Can someone explain this to me? I've been trying to figure it out for 15 years, and I still don't get what the joke is supposed to be. :saddowns:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Cyrix311 posted:

Can someone explain this to me? I've been trying to figure it out for 15 years, and I still don't get what the joke is supposed to be. :saddowns:

The joke is that there's no joke. :v:

Alternately, the joke is that he messed up telling a riddle which goes: "If there's five apples on a table and you take away one, how many do you have?"

Answer: One.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrix311 posted:

It's funny in the same way that the joke "Q: what's brown and sticky? A: a stick." is funny. It's completely literal when you're expecting an actual joke.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Walliard posted:

The joke is that there's no joke. :v:

Alternately, the joke is that he messed up telling a riddle which goes: "If there's five apples on a table and you take away one, how many do you have?"

Answer: One.

I've always heard "If you have five apples and you take two, how many do you have? Five."

But I always liked "Pop Quiz! A Beatles song! XXXterday!
>yes no"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Leofish posted:

Considering the marketing campaign for the game in North America consisted of "This Game Stinks" I'm not sure they had any idea what to do with it. I seem to recall an ad in Nintendo Power, where I first learned about the game, being full of confessionals of people saying "my friends are in there I can't shut it off" with pleas of "don't buy this game" at the end.

I always looked at the box art as Ness' image being reflected in the visor of the Starman, who was looking down at him. Still don't know why that was the box art, though.

E: I will say, though, that after nearly 20 years, we can look back on the game and how it made us feel, and look at the plethora of fan art and how not only the story within the game, but the story of the game, and how it was made, affected the players, and that has maybe coloured perceptions a bit.

It's a Starman, the iconic enemy, staring down at the lead with trippy visuals. That's earthbound in a nutshell. :colbert:

Unrelated but I was honestly really disappointed that Mother 3 didn't have a Starman fight. I was hoping for something like a random cave having a Starman, Junior or Ghost of Starman.

Even if Mother 3 does have a really good story (Not "for a video game" either, in my opinion) but that was a letdown. Starman are one of the first things I associate with the series.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 13, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
e: nah, better not

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Genocyber posted:

triplexpac posted:

Look at these nerds, they get so angry when someone suggests that a 20 year old RPG isn't perfect.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

quote:

JEFF TALK

:negative:
It took me until after I played Mother 3 to realize, "Wait... Jeff is just schoolboy Duster!"

I played through Earthbound like twice in college without realizing that Jeff's inventions were actually worth a drat. Then I played Mother 3, and found out that Earthbound makes their gadgeteer-type items actually useful :v:
I really need to go back and wreck some faces with Jeffware.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HarveyVdarski posted:

Personally, I never understood how this was the story of a "war" against loving anybody. I kept expecting the story to get serious business but it feels far too episodic for that.

Combined with the title screen, I always felt that subtitle was meant to evoke 1950s sci-fi movies and their advertising more than to represent the actual content of the game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

I played through Earthbound like twice in college without realizing that Jeff's inventions were actually worth a drat. Then I played Mother 3, and found out that Earthbound makes their gadgeteer-type items actually useful :v:
I really need to go back and wreck some faces with Jeffware.
I actually think Jeff's gadgets are really disappointing until you get the ones farther toward the end of the game.

The bazooka owns a bunch, but you get that like two thirds/three quarters though the game (5th sanctuary? anyway the sanctuaries start coming in fast with little in-between at that point). The Defense Shower is even later, pretty near the end of the game. It's basically a re-useable Defense Up Omega, which was never worth a Paula turn to cast (it's worth a Jeff turn, though!)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

McNally posted:

Who thought a yo-yo would be a good weapon?
A certain turtle with Shinobi training has made good use of one in a movie.

triplexpac posted:

You don't have time to press X, keep holding forward.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My latest playthrough has yielded me an insane Jeff: fast, hits as hard as Ness, and IQ gains almost every level. This will make my no bottle rocket run easier.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I've never thought of doing a no bottle rocket run before... sounds interesting. And hard! I can't imagine getting through the Fourside mall, ugh

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

triplexpac posted:

I've never thought of doing a no bottle rocket run before... sounds interesting. And hard! I can't imagine getting through the Fourside mall, ugh

I might be changing my tune when I get there... :ohdear:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I never used bottle rockets on my first run :shobon:

My kid mind thought "Man, there's no way these are useful" so I never used them and just sold them all :downs:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I am right near the end.

It turned out I got near the end without doing the second sound melody. Totally forgot about it. I think I finished Happy Happy Village, got the girl and just left.

I felt so dumb one shotting a boss.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

ETB posted:

I might be changing my tune when I get there... :ohdear:

It's too late, you've posted it. See it through to the end :unsmigghh:

I just go to Fourside in my playthrough. I thought I'd take a trip exploring Dusty Dunes Desert this time since I've learned that Healing Alpha cures sunstroke, and I found a sign saying that some guy lost his his contacts and that he'd give anyone who finds them something good.

The contacts were right next to the sign. :geno:

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I am right near the end.

It turned out I got near the end without doing the second sound melody. Totally forgot about it. I think I finished Happy Happy Village, got the girl and just left.

I felt so dumb one shotting a boss.

The first time I played through the game back in 95 I did this same thing but with the 3rd melody. I had finished Fourside by the time I realized it. I think I had trouble with the plants/mushrooms in the caves leading up to the 3rd melody spot, went to grind some, then went on vacation with my family and forgot what I was doing when I got back.

Those were the days man.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rhinoceraptor posted:

It's too late, you've posted it. See it through to the end :unsmigghh:

I just go to Fourside in my playthrough. I thought I'd take a trip exploring Dusty Dunes Desert this time since I've learned that Healing Alpha cures sunstroke, and I found a sign saying that some guy lost his his contacts and that he'd give anyone who finds them something good.

The contacts were right next to the sign. :geno:

Try to find the black sesame seed and his friend the white sesame seed, there is no reward for doing so, but there is a mini-story that is kind of cute in an earthbound sort of way.

Is there anything like that, besides porky's poo poo, in the Scarab desert?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 13, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I also like talking to the bones

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Powercrazy posted:

Try to find the black sesame seed and his friend the white sesame seed, there is no reward for doing so, but there is a mini-story that is kind of cute in an earthbound sort of way.

I love that in Mother 3 they're finally reunited.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cybershell posted:

I love that in Mother 3 they're finally reunited.

Hmm. I think I vaguely remember that. They are on display at New Pork City or something like that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

jymbojones posted:

The first time I played through the game back in 95 I did this same thing but with the 3rd melody. I had finished Fourside by the time I realized it. I think I had trouble with the plants/mushrooms in the caves leading up to the 3rd melody spot, went to grind some, then went on vacation with my family and forgot what I was doing when I got back.

Those were the days man.

At first I thought you were making this up because I had been convinced that getting the 3rd melody was a prerequisite before getting to Fourside, but then I looked it up and it turns out that you only have to defeat Master Belch in order to bring the sunlight back to Threed and clear the tunnels to the Dusty Dune Desert. I feel like I learn something new about this game with each new post in this topic.

• Locked thread