Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

greatn posted:

Well, basically, Nintendo had cut their marketing budget to basically nothing, so their marketing department is doing whatever the gently caress they can do for no money. Hiring glorified sign twirlers is basically in their wheelhouse right now.

Even though by all accounts they have some massive war chest of funds they're sitting on. I really don't get why they aren't spending it when its clear lots of consumers don't even know what the Wii U is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Atomicated posted:

Even though by all accounts they have some massive war chest of funds they're sitting on. I really don't get why they aren't spending it when its clear lots of consumers don't even know what the Wii U is.

Do they dip into the war chest in an attempt to save the WiiU or save it up to fall back on as the WiiU continues to hemorrhage money? Tough call!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because literally the only thing they care about is this quarter's profit/loss numbers and if they'll be good enough to not be fired. Marketing might show dividends in a couple quarters but Iwata better show some loving profit right the gently caress now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

silentpenguins posted:

Yesterday I saw a bunch of people in Boston walking around with shirts that said to ask them about the Wii U. The backs of the shirts said Wii U Guru. From what I saw, no one was talking to them. Never seen that sort of thing for a console before. I wonder if there's a certification process for being a Guru.

When I was at a conference they did a cross-conference party for one of the events with GDC and Microsoft had a ton of people at the party decked out in gear to ask them about their platform. Nobody cared because booze was involved.

Edit: and now to feed the next 10 pages with nonstop bitching:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80597/wii-u-price-is-not-the-issue-says-nintendo-ceo

quote:

"If the price is actually an issue [with Wii U], then there is some contradiction between the current sales balance between the Basic and Premium versions of the Wii U," Iwata said. "The basic version should have sold a lot, but the fact of the matter is that people are buying more of the premium version. So the issue is not there."
Speaking to CVG, Iwata reiterated that Wii U's woes are based on software--a problem the company plans to address this holiday season. "I understand that the real issue is the lack of software, and the only solution is to provide the mass-market with a number of quality software titles."

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 12, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man he just doesn't get it. No one is buying the basic because it's an even worse value proposition than the premium, and if you offer black electronics and any other color, people will want the black.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

greatn posted:

Oh man he just doesn't get it. No one is buying the basic because it's an even worse value proposition than the premium, and if you offer black electronics and any other color, people will want the black.

Black, with blue lights. The official colors of gaming.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shibawanko posted:

Black, with blue lights. The official colors of gaming.

Every bluray player I see is also black, as well as every television frame.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

greatn posted:

Bingo. The WiiU is $350 to me, period. The white version is so inferior, it's not an option. Hopefully this is just an exec who isn't willing to say he thinks his product is too expensive, but. I dunno, Nintendo just seems like they've made so many terrible decisions.

On the subject of the gamepad, using a 720p screen likely wouldn't work for them, as it would make the already-bad battery life even worse and would tax the console harder than it's already being taxed. The 360 and PS3 can't render much of anything higher than 720p, the last thing any of those consoles should be doing is rendering another 720p screen. And Japanese companies seem super interested in hanging onto resistive tech as the easiest way for people to write in Japanese. If Nintendo wanted people to be able to write on the gamepad, a resistive screen with a stylus is really the cheapest option. It's not the best, as a capacitive screen a la the Galaxy Note is the best implementation, but it is absolutely the cheapest. The types of capacitive styluses that work without extra hardware are pretty bad.

Edit: To me, those issues wouldn't leave me saying "oh, we just need to make a few compromises", it'd have me saying "maybe this isn't terribly feasible with the hardware we're using." But I guess that's the difference between Nintendo and myself.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 12, 2013

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Cowcaster posted:

Allow me to weigh in with my theory that Nintendo picked a resistive touchscreen because they're made from delicious rock candy and they not only don't have to pay extra for the privilege of using an outdated, dying technology, but in fact are paid by the resistive touchscreen manufacturers in piles of filthy lucre fished from Blackbeard's own treasure trove.

Hey man, I'm just a layman I'm not an expert alright. I don't know anything about why Nintendo designed their system the way they did, but I'd like to make the guess that the three-headed hound guardian of Hades, Cerberus, appeared in a winged chariot in one of their board meetings and told them to make one of the controllers a tablet. I wasn't there though, so I'm not sure if that's true, it's just a guess.

I'm also no industrial engineer, but it seems to me like the main advantage of a resistive touchscreen over a capacitive one is the fact that it releases a pink lavender-scented gas when you rub a stylus on it. Also when you use a stylus on a capacitive touchscreen it shouts at you to stop playing videogames and go outside. That seems like a highly beneficial advantage to using a stylus/resistive touchscreen pair and it was well worth Nintendo's consideration when they decided to use it.

Some people might say that's ludicrous and untrue, and maybe they know more about them than I do. I'm just reporting my experience having read about the differences between the two types of touchscreen on wikipedia, not having used them or having ever been within 50 feet of one. This doesn't make my opinions any more or less valid than yours and I have the right to post them in this thread.

This is without a doubt the best post

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is why I can't fit onto an L train during rush hour...

http://chicagobusiness.tumblr.com/post/58067475027/all-aboard-the-luigi-line-in-an-effort-to-promote

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The L train now uses outdated rail technology and relies on nostalgia to pay the bills?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, aside from Super Luigi U, what makes this the 'year of Luigi' again?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

^^Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario & Luigi Dream Team... that's all I got.

I actually touched a wiiu tablet for the first time this weekend. It's much bigger than I was thinking but relatively comfortable. Unfortunately they only had demos of like game&wario and the croods or something. Wonderful 101 and pikmin 3 were just videos. It felt decent enough but not $350 decent. Hopefully someone smacks some sense into Iwata before the holidays. I would easily buy one at like $250-300.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Space Racist posted:

Luigi not being a "secret" smash bros. character?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Space Racist posted:

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Mario and Luigi Dream Team (in which the plot is heavily Luigi-centric).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Space Racist posted:

Don't you mean "Year of Second Bannanas", Space Racist?!

That really was the best part of Brawl, wasn't it.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 12, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Someone remind me why a Wii Tablet certainly does cost $150 to make but a cheap android tablet at Big Lots or on Black Friday costs $50 to buy.

While you're at it please tell me why after showing off how the Wii Motion Plus actually can make gameplay better with the last Wii game "9 out of 10 swings do what you want" Zelda Skyward Sword they didn't pack it in as a standard part of the new console.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Someone remind me why a Wii Tablet certainly does cost $150 to make but a cheap android tablet at Big Lots or on Black Friday costs $50 to buy.

While you're at it please tell me why after showing off how the Wii Motion Plus actually can make gameplay better with the last Wii game "9 out of 10 swings do what you want" Zelda Skyward Sword they didn't pack it in as a standard part of the new console.
It costs $80+ to make. But I don't know how it breaks down.

They've said they can't price drop because they're still not making a profit, which means they can't get the cost of the gamepad down, so... I feel like the only way they can bring the price down is to take the Gamepad out. Which is next to impossible to do, with the amount of games that'd need to be patched.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Introducing something that makes their device work the way it was supposed to in the first place and providing only barebones support for it is kind of Nintendo's thing.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

How well does the Wii U function without the gamepad, if at all? I mean, could you just get a pro controller and Wii remote on the side and call it a day?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midee posted:

How well does the Wii U function without the gamepad, if at all? I mean, could you just get a pro controller and Wii remote on the side and call it a day?

You need a tablet in order to navigate the WiiU menus.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No you don't, any controller can be used to navigate through almost all parts of the main menu and home screen.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Quest For Glory II posted:

They've said they can't price drop because they're still not making a profit, which means they can't get the cost of the gamepad down, so... I feel like the only way they can bring the price down is to take the Gamepad out. Which is next to impossible to do, with the amount of games that'd need to be patched.

This is going about it the wrong way. You never make money off of the console hardware.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

This is going about it the wrong way. You never make money off of the console hardware.

The Wii did. Its one of the reasons it was a behemoth, insane success instead of just being a gigantic, crazy success.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Saying never isn't accurate. It does happen it just might take a while.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Couldn't they make a new revision of the tablet controller with different parts that still works with the Wii U?

I'm not suggesting this would solve all of their problems or anything. I am just vexed that this relatively low-functioning tablet is relatively expensive. I could understand if the type of touch screen is so out dated that it's expensive like floppy discs or something, but then they could consider switching to overstocked modern ones.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

No you don't, any controller can be used to navigate through almost all parts of the main menu and home screen.

What about games? Besides Nintendoland, do any absolutely require the gamepad?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Midee posted:

ZombiU, Lego City Undercover

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Midee posted:

Most of the games that I have don't. Pretty much any multiplatform title will allow the Pro controller, and so do all Virtual Console games. NSMBU and Pikmin 3 allow the Pro as well, and I suspect that so will most of the first-party games coming out for the rest of the year.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm always a little fascinated by how much people who either don't like or don't own the Wii U can't seem to stop talking about it.

As for the controller, you can turn on and navigate the menus, including stuff like miiverse, exclusively with a controller of your choice. The only thing you absolutely need the tablet for, if memory serves, is the system settings and maybe the eShop.

I quite enjoy the off-screen gaming element. If the roommates are watching Arrested Development or whatever, I can just kick it in the same room with Earthbound or something. However, it's not the defining feature of the console for me and I could live without it, and I don't disagree that it's one of the many mishandled aspects of the system that's dragging Nintendo down. It'll be really interesting to see how they'll fare trying to correct their course in the face of the Xbox One-Eighty and PS4. I maintain that by 2014 there will be enough major first party titles to sell people on the console. Where they go from there is what's gonna make or break it.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 12, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I'm not suggesting this would solve all of their problems or anything. I am just vexed that this relatively low-functioning tablet is relatively expensive. I could understand if the type of touch screen is so out dated that it's expensive like floppy discs or something, but then they could consider switching to overstocked modern ones.
Low end (~$50) android tablets with capacitive screens are available, but the absolute cheapest are resistive, so the guess is that they've already got the cheaper option. Plus they're producing hardware in the millions, my guess would be bespoke panels made to their spec when they order it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you assume the $50 android tablets are being sold at cost (clearly they aren't) then Nintendo are paying $30 for the hardware controls, IR transmitter, NFC bobbins, and the customised wireless connection to console.

But they save money by having no memory, half a battery and no useful processor. Something in the Pad either costs far more than it should or the $80 figure isn't right. But if it costs them $50 (more realistic?), why would they charge customers $150 for a replacement?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think part of the reason they went with resistive is because it's more accurate over capacitive. I don't know how you would even use your hands on the touch screen at the same time considering the size unless you set it on a table which would lead to a pretty lovely gaming experience.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Cyra posted:

I'm always a little fascinated by how much people who either don't like or don't own the Wii U can't seem to stop talking about it.
It's because the Nintendo I grew up with had competent hardware and awesome slave-driven third party support, and although we'll never see that again, I will continue to lament about it because I'm a huge dork.

I myself am fascinated by people constantly telling me it's "all about the Nintendo games".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cyra posted:

As for the controller, you can turn on and navigate the menus, including stuff like miiverse, exclusively with a controller of your choice. The only thing you absolutely need the tablet for, if memory serves, is the system settings and maybe the eShop.
I just meant that there were some aspects of some games, like the drawing game in Game & Wario, or the Yoshi game in Nintendoland, that are tablet only. They'd have to patch the games to allow people to draw on screen with the Wiimote, but I think the Yoshi game would be hosed since it requires coordinating between the two screens. (It's kind of disappointing that this and Luigi's Mansion minigame are maybe the only examples that Nintendo has made to date of a game that can only be done with the Gamepad, and every other Nintendoland game can be fixed relatively easily and without detriment.)

And then patch in some sort of mandatory firmware-level support for the Pro Controller so that third-party titles are unaffected.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Midee posted:

I myself am fascinated by people constantly telling me it's "all about the Nintendo games".

If Nintendo stopped making consoles I'd probably stop buying consoles. I haven't been satisfied with a controller that was non-Nintendo since the Hammerhead FX controller for the PC. And even that I just liked because it has a thousand buttons. Playstation controllers and X-Box controllers just don't do it for me. Heck the Wii U Pro is too much like a 360 controller so I haven't picked it up.

So it's more than just the games for me. For all of their faults, a lot of what Nintendo does feels tailor made for my gaming enjoyment.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Edmund Honda posted:

If you assume the $50 android tablets are being sold at cost (clearly they aren't) then Nintendo are paying $30 for the hardware controls, IR transmitter, NFC bobbins, and the customised wireless connection to console.

But they save money by having no memory, half a battery and no useful processor. Something in the Pad either costs far more than it should or the $80 figure isn't right. But if it costs them $50 (more realistic?), why would they charge customers $150 for a replacement?

Why are we assuming that Nintendo sells replacement GamePads at or near cost?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Edmund Honda posted:

But they save money by having no memory, half a battery and no useful processor. Something in the Pad either costs far more than it should or the $80 figure isn't right.
The CNN Money article/video said $80, so you'll just have to live with the fact that, indeed, there is a cost to the gamepad that you are mis-estimating.

Their breakdown was $25 for the screen, $30 for the board, and $25 for the rest.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 12, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heran Bago posted:

The bargain basement android tablets tend to not have to have all the special stuff needed to handle constant wireless video streaming, and instead often just have the system board of a very cheap android phone hooked up to a low res but large screen and a larger battery. They're very very cheap to make. The Wii U tablet's actual build price is somewhere between $79 and $95 depending on your source for info though.

For example, this kind of thing will get a large but cheap screen slapped onto it as well as a slightly larger battery: http://dx.com/p/mini-7100-android-2-3-5-gsm-bar-phone-w-3-5-capacitive-screen-dual-band-and-wi-fi-white-blue-227386

The chipsets, the screens, the batteries for these things - they're all being mass produced all over the general area and there's always leftovers to use to slap together cheap tablets out of. The Wii U tablet thing uses a lot of stuff that isn't standard at all, so of course its cost is going to be higher.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

I just don't understand why it costs so much to stream 854x480 video. I don't think you need a custom Snapdragon 600 SoC handmade in a secret underground factory for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cyra posted:

Many of us grew up on Nintendo consoles, and this was Nintendo's followup to what was a big success, so it's an active topic going into the next console cycle.

• Locked thread