Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Ninpo posted:

Well, he did a cracking job with his own son.

lol nicely done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Raheem sterling is a good lad and maybe was in the right so I won't judge him. Would drink a pint with for sure.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Raheem sterling is a good lad and maybe was in the right so I won't judge him. Would drink a pint with for sure.

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario that results in slapping his girlfriend being the right thing to do.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ninpo posted:

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario that results in slapping his girlfriend being the right thing to do.

she voted BNP

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ninpo posted:

Maybe she was being a DAFCUN stop being sexist.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I know they probably meet people who try to have a go but seriously how hard is it to not hit people? loving hell when will footballers ever learn.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I'd love to have Raheem Sterling and Jack Wilshere have a big old punch up just to put to death the myth of modern masculinity once and for all.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004
ravel morrison 2.0.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

EvilHawk posted:

I know they probably meet people who try to have a go but seriously how hard is it to not hit people? loving hell when will footballers ever learn.

You can be arrested and charged for 'common assault' for hitting someone thats already twatted you. They usually never get to a conviction.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

serious gaylord posted:

You can be arrested and charged for 'common assault' for hitting someone thats already twatted you. They usually never get to a conviction.

I know, but still. Just don't hit people. Jesus christ.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
You can be arrested and charged for 'common assault' for saying mean things, if the victim feels threatened.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Burns so sick the police were called.

gently caress's sake Raheem, you're a professional footballer, you could have your pick of literally thousands of women who wouldn't refuse sex/piss you off/whatever it was this woman did to make you decide to hit her. If my girlfriend ever wound me up to the point I wanted to hit her I'd just leave and find someone else, and I don't have the luxury of being a pro footballer who can't go five feet without a glamour model trying to fellate me.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

Burns so sick the police were called.

gently caress's sake Raheem, you're a professional footballer, you could have your pick of literally thousands of women who wouldn't refuse sex/piss you off/whatever it was this woman did to make you decide to hit her. If my girlfriend ever wound me up to the point I wanted to hit her I'd just leave and find someone else, and I don't have the luxury of being a pro footballer who can't go five feet without a glamour model trying to fellate me.

Tbh the constant fellatio can sometimes be a curse in disguise for instance when you are at a bank discussing to lower your monthly mortgage payment by 5% or so it can get really awkward

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Xeno posted:

You can be arrested and charged for 'common assault' for saying mean things, if the victim feels threatened.

You could charge most of the Premier League with common assault for the "handbags" after every red card if you wished.

The kid's obviously a bit of a twat but it's not like he's killed a man.

Edit : missed the fact it was his mrs he hit, a lot more of a twat than I imagined it seems.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 10, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I'm just gonna leave this here

Celtic striker Anthony Stokes was detained by police in Dublin over an alleged attack on an Elvis impersonator.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/235812-celtics-anthony-stokes-detained-over-elvis-impersonator-attack/

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

euroboy posted:

Celtic striker Anthony Stokes was detained by police in Dublin over an alleged attack on an Elvis impersonator.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/235812-celtics-anthony-stokes-detained-over-elvis-impersonator-attack/

something something jailhouse rock

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

euroboy posted:

I can't help but imagine this involving him screaming, "HE'S A PHONY, A BIG FAT PHONY" at passers-by

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

euroboy posted:

Still not quite as good as the rugby league player who got arrested for fighting a group of Santa Clauses: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jan/04/castleford-arrested-fight-father-christmas

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

In shocking news, lower league Scottish football might be a bit crooked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23808606

BBC posted:

Footballer turned journalist Gordon Parks claims he knows of several senior games in Scotland that were fixed to rake in gambling winnings.

Parks gives as "an example" players in a team leading a lower division hosting a game against a side struggling near the bottom.

"No fewer than five of the squad heaped money on themselves to lose and picked up a packet after the game," he writes.

"The cash came in handy for the weekend in Newcastle they had conveniently arranged to coincide with the con."

Parks says the outraged club captain reported it to the team manager only to be told "he had broken the trust of a dressing-room".

"He was soon sent packing after being hit with the threat that his career would be over," Parks said.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/stephane-sessegnon-charged-drink-driving-2233845

Sessegnon doesn't seem to care much about his team

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Gary 'Goal Machine' Madine is on trial for assault, not a Utd fan this time but one of his own

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23962813

A Championship footballer broke a fan's nose in a bar fight before shattering a second man's jaw and cheek weeks later in a separate incident, a court heard.

Sheffield Wednesday player Gary Madine, 23, is accused of attacking Owls fan Daniel Beresford in February 2012 and Reece Hall in March 2012.

Prosecutors told a jury at Leeds Crown Court the centre forward was "an arrogant, violent thug" when drunk.

Madine, who has a previous conviction for assault, denies the charges.

Madine is said to have attacked Meadowhall shopping centre worker Mr Beresford in the Paris Bar, in Sheffield city centre, knocking him unconscious and breaking his nose.

Mr Beresford told the court Madine had been staring at him and, when he had asked why, the player lashed out.

He said: "He was one of my favourite players, someone I looked up to."

Defence counsel Alison Dorrell, however, described Mr Beresford as being "fighting drunk" and alleged he had thrown a drink on the player.

Continue reading the main story
Gary Madine profile

Born 24 August, 1990
Signed for Carlisle FC in 2007
Loaned to Rochdale, Coventry City and Chesterfield
Signed for Sheffield Wednesday in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee
In 2012/13 season he made 35 appearances for the Owls scoring four goals
He has made just one appearance as a substitute this season in a league cup game against Rotherham
Madine is further alleged to have assaulted Sheffield United fan Mr Hall in the Viper Room, also in the city centre, after asking him who he supported.

Mr Hall, who did not recognise the Wednesday striker, replied "United", and moments later he was punched in the eye, the court heard.

Prosecutor Ian West said Mr Hall suffered a broken jaw and his cheek was fractured in five places.

The court heard that Madine, originally from Gateshead, already had a conviction for knocking out a man in Carlisle after pleading guilty to the attack in February 2010.

'Drunken punch'
Mr West said: "During his hours of sobriety, Mr Madine is a very fine footballer. However, if you believe the red top newspapers, as often footballers do, they go out at night and drink.

"The prosecution suggest in Mr Madine's case, he in too much drink turns into an arrogant, violent thug."

Mr West added: "He is a very fit and strong young man. You may think Mr Madine is a large centre forward in the old-fashioned English style, and is very much aware of his physical strength, it being so much a part of his job.

"You would think on the third assault that when he throws a punch, especially a drunken punch, late at night in a nightclub, he is really going to cause a lot of damage.

"When thinking about what he was intending, do not forget he is a big, strong lad and he knows what he is capable of."

When Madine played for Carlisle United, he knocked a man unconscious in the Beehive pub in February 2010 after he was refused a drink following closing time and tried to help himself, the court heard. He pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Madine denies causing grievous bodily harm against Mr Beresford, and causing grievous bodily harm with intent against Mr Hall.

The trial continues.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

uh oh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2415457/Kyle-Walker-apparently-inhales-hippy-crack-night-Sheffield--pictures.html

quote:

England player Kyle Walker has been pictured appearing to inhale 'hippy crack' from a balloon while on a night out.

The 23-year-old right-back, who played for England against Moldova in Friday's World Cup qualifier, allegedly sucked in the potentially deadly nitrous oxide several times during a night out in Sheffield, the Sunday Mirror reported.

The laughing gas, which is decanted into balloons and sold for as little as £1.50, is a legal high.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Dude needs to get on the phone to Wilshere and get some real crack.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That's a bit of a dihydrogen monoxide-type story. Nitrous oxide is basically harmless afaik

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

St Evan Echoes posted:

That's a bit of a dihydrogen monoxide-type story. Nitrous oxide is basically harmless afaik

The daily mail says it's POTENTIALLY DEADLY are you calling them liars?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

angered paedophile posted:

The daily mail says it's POTENTIALLY DEADLY are you calling them liars?

Playing football is also potentially deadly though innit

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

St Evan Echoes posted:

Not when you're recreationally huffing it, it's not. It's also used as a general anaesthetic, which dentists won't do anymore due to the risks involved.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Maybe it was helium and he wanted to crack a joke.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

You'd think Spurs players would know to avoid hmm nevermind

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Maybe they meant that it was "deadly craic"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

Not when you're recreationally huffing it, it's not. It's also used as a general anaesthetic, which dentists won't do anymore due to the risks involved.

Dentists still use nitrous and it's really not that dangerous even for recreational use.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ninpo posted:

uh it's still used in dentistry. Also in midwifery and yet no-one is howling won't someone please think of the children?!

And maybe it can be dangerous if used with reckless abandon, but that doesn't really differentiate it from other things footballers use in their spare time, such as alcohol and prostitutes.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

St Evan Echoes posted:

uh it's still used in dentistry. Also in midwifery and yet no-one is howling won't someone please think of the children?!

And maybe it can be dangerous if used with reckless abandon, but that doesn't really differentiate it from other things footballers use in their spare time, such as alcohol and prostitutes.

I want to state for the record I agree 100% with you and was gently suggesting that the daily mail is a terrible newspaper whose opinion on drugs is only slightly less questionable than it's opinions on immigrants lowering house prices.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It's just a brilliant example of the press wanting to tear down the team because it sells more papers. England beat Moldova 4-0, and are on course to qualify quite handily, which becomes boring quickly, but drugged up star + the response from the FA + why hasn't he been dropped + a new campaign to stop this menace sells copy and gets readers.

Every editor in the country prays we get to a World Cup semi final and lose.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yeah, that main danger of Nitrous is rippin' way too many balloons in the parking lot of a Phish concert and falling down and hitting your head or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Total Meatlove posted:

It's just a brilliant example of the press wanting to tear down the team because it sells more papers. England beat Moldova 4-0, and are on course to qualify quite handily, which becomes boring quickly, but drugged up star + the response from the FA + why hasn't he been dropped + a new campaign to stop this menace sells copy and gets readers.

Every editor in the country prays we get to a World Cup semi final and lose.

The fact the photo is 3 months old and only got published now is pretty telling

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I had laughing gas from a balloon this summer but it sure as hell didn't cost me £1.50! 5 euros for that rip off and it didn't even do anything what a joke.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
they go for about 2 quid round here and you have to do them properly for them to work. Bit silly of him really wonder if they'll kick up a legal high stink and get it banned

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You do them when you take pills :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Gary Madine sounds like a fine, upstanding gentleman. He'd get on well with all the billy big boots that kick about the clubs in Glasgow.