Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lexicon posted:

Umm, I don't give a gently caress about people buying anything they like.

I do give a gently caress about the economy tanking when the house of cards collapsing, and the government approaching the taxpayer, cap in hand, for money to bail out the CMHC or banks or both.

Don't worry they won't have to reduce themselves to begging. They already have it covered! They're just going to take the money directly from your bank account when they need it, Cyprus style:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/02/f-rfa-macdonald-canada-cyprus-banks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Is there such a thing as a rental bubble, or is the TFW program going to perpetually subsidize slumlords? I'm trying to find a place in Vancouver right now and some of these fuckers are off their gourd.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

Is there such a thing as a rental bubble, or is the TFW program going to perpetually subsidize slumlords? I'm trying to find a place in Vancouver right now and some of these fuckers are off their gourd.

Vancouver is an exceptionally miserable place to find a place to rent. A bit like SF or NYC, but minus the career and money-making opportunities.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

What are you looking for and where?

Do you have to bonafides to prove you can pay the rent? While it may seem that there is a lot of competition to rent an reasonably priced apt, you have to remember that Vancouver's population is absolute garbage and you're competing with a lot of white trash.

Being a landlord in Vancouver is a loving nightmare.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

you're competing with a lot of white trash.
loving ugh. Why post this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

My heart bleeds for landlords, truly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My heart bleeds for landlords, truly.

"My tenants aren't providing me a monthly profit on top of paying the mortgage for me, and can't fix the yard sale appliances i installed" :cry:

Going through the real estate section of kijiji here is incredibly entertaining. Trailers for sale for 90 grand with "own your own home, cheaper than paying rent!*** " as the title.

*** Lot rental $419/month

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

loving ugh. Why post this?

Because Vancouver is full of some of the most unfriendly and elitist people on Earth.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...hboard/follows/

quote:

Ottawa is taking new steps to cool the country’s housing market.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. is limiting guarantees it offers banks and other lenders on mortgage-backed securities. The measure comes amid the federal government’s efforts to protect taxpayers from financial risks in the housing sector, further cool lending and add upward pressure to mortgage rates.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Being a landlord anywhere is a loving nightmare. Good renters are hard to find and often know it so even if you get one you have to deal with below market rent changes to keep them from jumping. And that isn't even touching on the nightmares that can happen with maintenance.

It isn't like a rental house is some sort of magic money dispenser or something, but people sure seem to think it is.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Being a landlord anywhere is a loving nightmare. Good renters are hard to find and often know it so even if you get one you have to deal with below market rent changes to keep them from jumping. And that isn't even touching on the nightmares that can happen with maintenance.

It isn't like a rental house is some sort of magic money dispenser or something, but people sure seem to think it is.
Point 1 sounds like capitalism at work. Point 2 sounds like something you'd have to deal with whether you lived in the house or rented it. Turning a profit on land/housing you own but don't live in is about as close to 'magic money dispenser' as anything gets in this world, so cry me a loving river.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Point 1 sounds like capitalism at work. Point 2 sounds like something you'd have to deal with whether you lived in the house or rented it. Turning a profit on land/housing you own but don't live in is about as close to 'magic money dispenser' as anything gets in this world, so cry me a loving river.

Well, I mean that tenants can let problems fester. A leaky shutoff valve that would cost a DIY-er $10 to replace or even a plumber only $60 or something can easily become a multi-hundred or thousand dollar repair if allowed to sit until rotted floor boards and joists need replacement.

Proper landlording tends to be slow, small returns punctuated by pretty massive expenses and lots of work. Yet so many people think "Oh I'll just rent out the house and make $1000 per month! It will just arrive in the mail!". I think it is an extension of the whole "renting is throwing your money away!" myth, with people thinking that they were just paying directly into their landlord's pockets (because that's what they have been told for years that they have been doing) and now wanting to be on the other side of that entirely fictional situation.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I've lived in a lot of rentals, but I've never lived in one where the problems with the house/unit weren't chronic or didn't predate my arrival. Landlords also have rights and can inspect the units when reasonable with 24 hours written notice. Floor joists take a while to rot out, long enough for a diligent landlord to catch it even if the tenant is apathetic.

Sure I agree that being a landlord isn't easy, but I'm not going to pity the landlords who didn't realize renting a property wasn't a hands-off enterprise.

Arabidopsis
Apr 25, 2007
A model organism

No sympathy for landlords here. Every. Single. Place I've moved into in Vancouver has the following situations:

1. Landlord pretends not to know the Residential Tenancy Act, claims not to be responsible for things that they are
2. Refuses to return damage deposit, but doesn't file a claim for damages. I love this one because I've made money every time I move - just file a complaint when they're more than 14 days past due and you get twice your money back!
3. Stuff in suite is broken. They don't fix it, despite me giving permission IN WRITING to enter my suite.

The list goes on and on, but landlords need to read and follow the rules as much as tenants do. For every landlord "horror story" you just have to dig a few questions in and realize that the landlords actually had several avenues that they could have pursued for damages against the tenant, they just weren't aware of them or didn't document them properly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've noticed a lot of my friends in Vancouver have just sort of given up trying to deal with their landlords after being successfully intimidated or neglected for long enough. Half the stove doesn't work, just use the other half. Sink in the bathroom doesn't work, just use the kitchen sink. Heat isn't working well enough in the winter, just buy a space heater. Tenant below them clearly smoking despite it being against the rules, just keep your windows shut. They all just say they don't want to cause problems or have to move out because it took them years to even find a place so nice. Are these the fantasy tenants from the wildest dreams of lovely vancouver landlords?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I've lived in a lot of rentals, but I've never lived in one where the problems with the house/unit weren't chronic or didn't predate my arrival. Landlords also have rights and can inspect the units when reasonable with 24 hours written notice. Floor joists take a while to rot out, long enough for a diligent landlord to catch it even if the tenant is apathetic.

Sure I agree that being a landlord isn't easy, but I'm not going to pity the landlords who didn't realize renting a property wasn't a hands-off enterprise.

Oh yeah I am not in any way feeling sorry for the idiots getting into the rental market, nor should anyone else. In fact I am more sitting back and enjoying the show. :allears: The next act should be when they get fed up or spooked and try to exit only to realize that years of neglect and no updates craters the value of a house.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shifty Pony posted:

try to exit only to realize that years of neglect and no updates craters the value of a house.

This a million times, we've had old family friends and co-workers and poo poo who did this. They'd buy a house, sometimes not even in the town or region they live but in a hot property market. You see the house is an INVESTMENT and they're going to sell in 5-10 years and make mad cash, but since they are such smart capitalists they are going to rent the house while they wait to make even MORE money.

5-10 years later the house needs 50-100k of work due to horrible tenants and a hands-off landlording style. One of them would seriously not even come to the same city as the rental house unless the tenants left, which over 6 years happened only twice. Both times resulted in them getting "surprised" and flipping out that the lawn was the mess, things needed painting, appliances needed replacing and so on. The 2nd time they gave the tenants notice saying they were going to sell the house as the market was up and landlording was just tooo stressful for them.

The tenants had a dog which literally chewed through one of the doors and half destroyed a couple more. The carpets were all totally ruined and thread-bare in patches. The entire house reeked of unwashed dog and tobacco. The fridge and stove needed replacing and the sliding glass patio door had a huge crack running through it. Because they were so lazy to inspect the house and wanted the tenants out asap they gave back the damage deposit before they even saw the house because "They said the house was fine!"

They had to put in about 60k on new flooring, new kitchen, painting, and general repairs. They bought the house for about 280k and sold it for about 350k 6 years later.

Real-estate, the most savy of investments!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 26, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baronjutter posted:

They had to put in about 60k on new flooring, new kitchen, painting, and general repairs. They bought the house for about 280k and sold it for about 350k 6 years later.

Real-estate, the most savy of investments!

But I bet when other people (who want to believe in the dream) tell their story they point out that they made $70k!!! :downsbravo:

Also...

Baronjutter posted:

Are these the fantasy tenants from the wildest dreams of lovely vancouver landlords?

Yes, as long as they pay their rent they sure are. The nightmare tenant of lovely landlords is the one that documents failings and fires off registered mail demanding it be fixed and knows the deposit rules forward and backward when they move out. "They were just so demanding/abused the legal system" :qq:

I do have a question about a practice that I'm seeing more and more of in the US: do you see landlords trying to pull off zero-day turnarounds by either requiring the tenants to vacate X-days before the end of the lease or trying to do repairs that legally should have been done before move in? For example I've been seeing a ton of leases here in Austin, Texas (which has a bit of a rental crunch of its own) saying that the tenants have to move out 5-7 days before the lease is done to allow for cleaning and make-ready. It seems very dubious that you can require somebody to leave yet still charge them rent for that period but since when has "every iota of legal precedent and tenant law says you can't do that" stopped people from slipping bullshit into lease contracts? They literally are charging you not to live there...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Arabidopsis posted:

No sympathy for landlords here. Every. Single. Place I've moved into in Vancouver has the following situations:

1. Landlord pretends not to know the Residential Tenancy Act, claims not to be responsible for things that they are
2. Refuses to return damage deposit, but doesn't file a claim for damages. I love this one because I've made money every time I move - just file a complaint when they're more than 14 days past due and you get twice your money back!
3. Stuff in suite is broken. They don't fix it, despite me giving permission IN WRITING to enter my suite.

The list goes on and on, but landlords need to read and follow the rules as much as tenants do. For every landlord "horror story" you just have to dig a few questions in and realize that the landlords actually had several avenues that they could have pursued for damages against the tenant, they just weren't aware of them or didn't document them properly.

Have you ever pursued these landlords though legal avenues?

Arabidopsis
Apr 25, 2007
A model organism

Have you ever pursued these landlords though legal avenues?

I don't want to throw money down the lawyer pit, but the easiest thing to do is file complaints with the Residential Tenancy Branch. I basically have to go that route to get my damage deposit back every time, even when the place is fully clean. I am a reasonable person - if I broke something I'll pay, but they just pretend that they can keep the "fee" at will, which is just not true. I've been incredibly charitable too, on a couple occasions I've sent a letter threatening to file a complaint with the RTB (which would result in a default judgment in my favor, and would require the landlords to pay double!)

It just makes me sick to hear landlords whining and complaining when they themselves don't know or choose not to follow the clear rules that are laid out. I know there are poo poo tenants, but if you get a poo poo tenant there are many options for dealing with it.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We've got a pretty decent house rental in a Vancouver suburb, but the owner seems to not care about keeping the house upgraded. Like it took him 6 months or longer to agree to replace carpet in the living room that was worn and smelly when we moved in. We ended up removing the carpet ourselves, and he paid for laminate flooring. I also worry about the wiring in the house. The last electrician who came out said that the wiring was so old that it is potentially a fire hazard. I'm not even sure if the house is up to legal standards--guess we should check that out. Otherwise, it's big and has a nice yard and is more akin to a character home than a rundown house; it's just old, from 1960 (this is a joke, since I grew up in the midwest in the states, where houses were build in the 19th century). It has a remodeled full basement, a beautiful living room with high, slanted ceilings, two fireplaces, and a great yard. It's a great place to have parties, but the house needs some structural upgrades, for sure. The owner hasn't increased rent in a long time--we do a lot of upgrades ourselves, like painting, installing screens, building a raised garden, etc. We don't really mind since a lot of it's DIY and cosmetic. The owner is still responsible for appliances, plumbing, and all that.

Speaking of home ownership, I've been watching house prices in the tri-cities (Coquitlam, Port Moody, Burnaby), and they haven't really gone down at all, despite the looming bubble. Nevertheless, even with a double-income, both professional workers, we aren't really seeing houses around Vancouver as an option to buy due to their high prices, and honestly, though Vancouver has a ton of nice stuff, I think at times if we could find work in the interior in our fields, I'd much rather live there. We have family there, and housing is much cheaper. It would be more like a long-term investment in a place I could see settling down in/retiring in eventually. I'm thinking Kamloops/100-Mile, Nelson, Osooyos, or even smaller towns like Trail.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe the real solution is to just get a condo in the other Vancouver?

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 8, 2013

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I do have a question about a practice that I'm seeing more and more of in the US: do you see landlords trying to pull off zero-day turnarounds by either requiring the tenants to vacate X-days before the end of the lease or trying to do repairs that legally should have been done before move in? For example I've been seeing a ton of leases here in Austin, Texas (which has a bit of a rental crunch of its own) saying that the tenants have to move out 5-7 days before the lease is done to allow for cleaning and make-ready. It seems very dubious that you can require somebody to leave yet still charge them rent for that period but since when has "every iota of legal precedent and tenant law says you can't do that" stopped people from slipping bullshit into lease contracts? They literally are charging you not to live there...

You'd have to check state laws. A few years ago I'd have said it was illegal with no hesitation, but then I moved to Indiana and discovered a state supreme court case in which it was ruled that landlords can legally void warrant of habitability in a lease and not be liable when the apartment condition maims/kills the tenant.

Check your state laws, especially since you live in a known lovely state.

The bigger thing I see is landlords / management companies preying on people's lack of knowledge by including huge waivers of every law under the sun in the lease and then trying to convince them that they have no right to pursue claims when things go wrong. They try to get around this with that stupid 'any part of the lease found invalid will be invalid separate from the rest of the lease which will still be binding' clause, and then they fill it to the brim with illegal clauses, leaving it to you to fight each one as it comes up.

The biggest winner I've seen yet was the lease in Indiana that tried to ban children from laughing within 800 meters of property. Enforcement of an activity off-property aside, why the gently caress did they even care?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

etalian posted:

Maybe the real solution is to just get a condo in the other Vancouver?

The Columbia is a damned nice valley; I was just doing a bunch of work on the river between Portland and Vancouver. drat shame the British didn't bother to keep that part of land; would be the best area of Canada bar none.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Simon Fraser was actually about a week late from claiming that part of cascadia for Canada.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Northwest and the Columbia had already been explored by James Cook and George Vancouver long before that though. The HBC, operating out of Fort Vancouver (now Vancouver, WA) was the largest European settlement in the area for some time.

The real problem was accepting joint-occupancy, which just allowed thousands of Americans to flock in and settle the area north of the Columbia, which up until that point was pretty well British controlled. The American authorities had no reason to stop them either, since they really wanted to get their hands on the natural harbour at Puget Sound.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle13705668/

quote:

The irony is that it is a problem almost entirely of the government’s own making. Starting in the late 1970s, successive Liberal and Conservative governments made it a national policy to aggressively encourage home ownership. The government offered mortgage insurance to all homeowners via CMHC, then it expanded those guarantees to private mortgage insurers.

In the 1990s, the minimum down payment on mortgages was dropped to 5 per cent from 10 per cent. In 2006, CMHC introduced a no-down-payment insurance product and it extended mortgage insurance to cottages and second homes.

Efforts gathered steam in the early 2000s, with the creation of government-backed mortgage bonds and the decision by CMHC to remove the $250,000 cap on the size of mortgage it would insure. Ottawa would eventually reimpose a cap of $1-million.

The government also lengthened the maximum amortization period for mortgages from 25 years to 30 years in 2005, to 35 years in 2006 and eventually 40 years (it has since been set back to 25 years).

The final incentive to expand the availability of mortgage credit was the insured mortgage purchase program, which enabled banks to sell their government-backed mortgage bonds back to CMHC at a profit.

All these programs were like rocket fuel for the real estate market in a low-rate environment. They triggered a rapid expansion of risk-free mortgage credit, and, arguably, drove the rapid runup in house prices in the past decade.

“The evidence is fairly telling,” analysts at corporate bond manager Canso Investment Counsel Ltd. of Richmond Hill, Ont., argued in a recent newsletter. “Housing became more expensive for Canadians because of the misguided efforts of the CMHC to make mortgages easier to obtain.”

Canso estimates that the combined impact of successive federal programs may have added as much as 50 per cent to house prices in key markets, such as Toronto. Canso estimates that the “affordable” price of an average two-storey home in upscale North Toronto is $615,000 – well shy of the actual price of $900,000.

As Canso bluntly puts it: “Canada borrowed its way out of the 2009 recession by stoking our residential housing market to absurd levels. We cannot afford the houses we are in.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pretty sad how Canada followed the US mistake of encouraging home ownership instead of the more useful goal of home affordability.

I'd rather be renting for a reasonable monthly cost like in the Vienna model instead of playing the "home investment" speculation game.

Then there's repeating all the mistakes such as creating moral hazard by getting into the mortgage business, so when the house of cards falls apart it swallow millions of dollars in bailout assistance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In terms of government policy how do you encourage affordability vs ownership?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

You 'encourage affordability' by ensuring there is an adequate supply of good rental stock that covers all sectors (i.e., three bedroom units, etc.), and then you get the gently caress out of the securitization business entirely.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

Here's what not to do - encourage ever-greater access to credit by granting risk-free profit to banks, and providing buyers with ever more sources of capital for financing purchases (robbing RRSPs, first time buyer "grants") => more dollars chasing housing.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Is it possible to get a mortgage from a Canadian bank as a non-citizen, and if so does the CMHC insure it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It honestly makes no sense to me the amount the government spends on making mortgages "easier" for people to get. It really seems like all that money and energy, if put into grants for affordable housing, grants to encourage rental-construction and so on would have much much better results. The construction industry would still be "stimulated" but it would be directly.

Do the people making these choices honestly believe making borrowing easier is the best way, or is it an entirely cynical wealth transfer to the banks?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cmon the answer isn't that hard. If you were finance minister, which policy do you think would make your party look better? One that made canada a nation of home owners or a nation that was 'throwing money away into the rental abyss'?

You don't think the NDP/Liberals would have ridden that rear end till it was raw?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paper Mac posted:

Is it possible to get a mortgage from a Canadian bank as a non-citizen, and if so does the CMHC insure it?
Yes, you can get one as a permanent resident CMHC insured.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Off-topic but you can look up a interesting solution called the Vienna model for housing.

Wouldn't work for most cities since it depends on municipal government owning vast tracts of land in the city instead of private parties.

This allows the city government to cut deals with developers to expand or convert existing buildings to high quality class A rental units.

So the developer gets a chance to develop nice properties for a decent return over the lease agreement while the city government is able to provide both affordable and quality housing.

The Vienna model also gives the renters unique home ownership features such as being able to remodel their rental properties and also pass on the rental properties to their kids.

Pretty much makes more sense from instead of going with the US speculation model which places a higher priority on the appreciation "investment" aspect of housing instead of focusing on keep the price affordable in terms of income for the area and also keep the housing inflation expenses flat over time.

Also throwing out the "investment" perspective helps prevent the nasty entanglement with the beloved banking sector through government back of the private mortgage market or having the government held hostage when the bubbles explodes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So let's assume the market correction is going to happen sometime within the next 2 years.

What happens?

Does the conservative government try it's hardest to keep everything afloat until the 2015 election? Do they just drop the mic and say Im out, Justin deal with this poo poo?

How do the banks react? It's not in their best interest to flood the market with foreclosed inventory. Do you get a US situation where you have swathes of housing stock on a shadow list?

I am just trying to play out any situation in my head where I can actually afford the nicer quality houses that my relative income level should have afforded me 10 to 15 years ago and right now all I can see is a perfect poo poo show 5 to 10 years down the line. Things take a hard bounce and the tail end of the baby boomers retirements and HELOCs just get wiped out and their forced to work through their supposed retirement age.

Edit: whelp our long national nightmare is just beginning.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2013

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Whiteycar posted:

So let's assume the market correction is going to happen sometime within the next 2 years.

What happens?

Does the conservative government try it's hardest to keep everything afloat until the 2015 election? Do they just drop the mic and say Im out, Justin deal with this poo poo?

How do the banks react? It's not in their best interest to flood the market with foreclosed inventory. Do you get a US situation where you have swathes of housing stock on a shadow list?

I am just trying to play out any situation in my head where I can actually afford the nicer quality houses that my relative income level should have afforded me 10 to 15 years ago and right now all I can see is a perfect poo poo show 5 to 10 years down the line. Things take a hard bounce and the tail end of the baby boomers retirements and HELOCs just get wiped out and their forced to work through their supposed retirement age.

What's going to happen is that that first of all the economy as a whole will take a very bad hit in the dick because as things stand, a) business are still too shy/scared (b/c of the ongoing instability) to do any serious investment that really creates jobs, b) the CPC sure as poo poo isn't creating government jobs or any sort of direct spending and c) housing bullshit is actually one of the last few things driving "growth" and spending. So once that falls down we're gonna be poo poo out of stuff.

IMO neither the CPC nor the LPC is likely to do start significantly increasing government spending, which is the only thing that will make this less painful. So, probably more unemployment and wage stagnation.

The second thing that's going to happen is that a whole loving truckload of boomers that are about to retire or already retired were sort of counting on the bubble never ever bursting, so you know, that would no longer be the case. They'll have to lean on the government (who is revenue starved and whose tax base is hurting) and their children (who are already stretched to the limits if they are employed at all) to get by.

And we'll still have articles wondering how "the Me generation" managed to gently caress up all those retirement plans for BEST EVER GENERATION baby-boomers. That will be the best part of all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whiteycar posted:

What happens?

Just look at the US 2009 real estate meltdown for a good guide of what will happen.

There are some small differences such as canadian banks being a bit better in terms of rainy day funds but still is really ugly when you get the post-bubble rapid asset deflation. Just messes up the economy in so many ways from the HELOC injections into the economy suddenly drying up, rapid destruction of local government tax base and also other businesses such as construction getting trashed.