Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

I see the babby LTs coming through BOLC, and the amount of loving running they do, yeah, you should try and be as lean as possible to save your joints from the idiocy of all that running.

The new OER specifically includes a block for your last marathon time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Is this why some brand new butterbars can barely pass the push up portion of the APFT?

Which is great for NCO's like myself where we can go
:smuggo: "No sir, we're not running 6 miles again today. We'll do push up improvement cause someone needs it." :smuggo:

Atleast until he points out my run time is as slow as a 18 year old girl fresh out of basic training who never ran a day in her life before.....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kaliber posted:

Is this why some brand new butterbars can barely pass the push up portion of the APFT?

Every non-fat person in the AF with pt problems fails the loving crunches. It blows my mind, because they're designed to be easy as gently caress. You have to move like 2 inches for a crunch to count.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I thought the Army was supposed to be doing less running now due to all the injuries it causes? Or at least that's what I gathered from some Army related article I read a year or two ago.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Correct.

In practice, no, we run just as much as we ever did.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I dug up an army publication on the reduction of physical training injuries, and it was way back in 1990. And it basically boiled down to HOLY gently caress STOP RUNNING SO MUCH.

I think someone else found an earlier one, from '82 or so that said exactly the same thing, and mentioned something along the lines of combat arms being "hair-brained".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just asked my dad about his experience with running in the army as an SF soldier for 23 years and the article from '82 makes sense. He said he actually ran less once he got to 7th group in '84 after 3 years in the 7th ID. His longest run in SF was 7 miles with the majority no longer than 3-5 at most. More focus was put on endurance for long range rucking. He also said they NEVER did ruck runs due to how much they gently caress up your joints and back yet I saw cadets at my university doing ruck runs in 2013. He emphasized that the quick release straps were there for a reason, so you don't have to run with all that heavy poo poo on your back.

My dad loved being in the army and being an SF soldier so reading everyones experiences here has really opened my eyes to what much of the military is actually like.

I hate running but I guess at least I've been running a lot for the past 8 months.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I finally bought some loving orthotics for my flat loving feet. I'm tired of getting backpain during our almost daily 5 milers.

Also, fitocracy is totally getting retarded now. It's facebook for bodybuilders, but more obnoxious.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ashmole posted:

I finally bought some loving orthotics for my flat loving feet. I'm tired of getting backpain during our almost daily 5 milers.

Also, fitocracy is totally getting retarded now. It's facebook for bodybuilders, but more obnoxious.

I use it exclusively as a logging tool. I like getting points, too, because I'm a nerd.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I use it exclusively as a logging tool. I like getting points, too, because I'm a nerd.

Fitocracy is hot girls who have barely enough self-esteem to take half-naked photos of themselves immediately following a hot yoga session.

A bench press day. I've been stuck around the 260-275 range for a 1 rep max since February so I'd like to break that soon.

2x10x135
6x165
5x195
5x5215

close grip bench
3x6x185

chin up
3x10
1x7

triceps overhead
15x115
3x15x125
6x125

decline flyes
5x15x60

incline flyes
5x15x30

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

holocaust bloopers posted:

Fitocracy is hot girls who have barely enough self-esteem to take half-naked photos of themselves immediately following a hot yoga session.

A bench press day. I've been stuck around the 260-275 range for a 1 rep max since February so I'd like to break that soon.

2x10x135
6x165
5x195
5x5215

close grip bench
3x6x185

chin up
3x10
1x7

triceps overhead
15x115
3x15x125
6x125

decline flyes
5x15x60

incline flyes
5x15x30

You're really only doing 1 exercise that hits the muscles you want. You're only doing 1 pressing movement(CG bench barely counts). Maybe do a routine that isn't 5x5.

vains fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 10, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Talking about shoulder press stuff?

vains
May 26, 2004

Talking about shoulder press stuff?

incline db/bb press, bb/db bench press, floor press, dips. Some of the bigger/stronger goons say decline bench is garbage and I never felt like I was getting much out of it. You're kind of limited by equipment. Exrx has a ton of stuff or, if you don't mind reading through a couple dozen posts of the blind leading the blind, ylls. You're not doing much on chest day that would increase your bench. Shoulder stuff(standing press/strict press/overhead press, db shoulder, military press, etc) and more tricep work would help push your max up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Guh yea the less time spent reading ylls, the better. It's got that same echo chamber effect that gbs/dnd have.

Anyway, I've never been consistent benching past 225 so I think a lot of what it is is simple technique poo poo.

I'll be ramping up with volume here soon. I keep shoulder press work to the day after bench. It seems to work for me pretty well.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
fwiw for purely strength stuff i've never found flys to be the least bit useful

and i've always been told(by people who know stuff) that decline bench is stupid because dips work the same poo poo but better(idk the validity of this but dips are gr8 m8)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those flyes are purely out of vanity.

Decline/incline bench did poo poo for me the few months I had them in.

vains
May 26, 2004

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

fwiw for purely strength stuff i've never found flys to be the least bit useful

and i've always been told(by people who know stuff) that decline bench is stupid because dips work the same poo poo but better(idk the validity of this but dips are gr8 m8)

That that the fact that hes doing 2 versions of flys at the end kind of says that he isn't doing enough bench work. Just my hypothesis as a bro scientist.

I'd probably add incline stuff back in, but thats just me. Incline will even out your chest development and help you towards your bench goal.

vains fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 10, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No harm in trying them for a while. Rack or pause bench is great. That helped me a bunch earlier in the year.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

to me flys just feel like really awesome stretching.....which isnt a bad thing i suppose heh

if you have a power cage you could try some pin presses if the top is your stall point or maybe some floor presses if the bottom is your stall point

just suggestions i liked to mix it up :^)

No harm in trying them for a while. Rack or pause bench is great. That helped me a bunch earlier in the year.

efb but i tried pin presses and my forearms just couldnt take it :( seemed to be pretty good though

vains
May 26, 2004

Buy some chains maybe? They make you look cool as gently caress in the gym and will help you get out of the hole at the bottom of the lift.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya basically there's no right or wrong way to get better.

Either way bench is a hard lift for me but I do OK for my body weight.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
FWIW until I started hitting mid 300s for bench I was steadily increasing with this:

5/3/1 warm-up
3x5 flat bench at working weight
3x5 weighted dips
3x8 incline bench

Biceps work after bench, rest day, tri/back, rest day, and then shoulders/legs. The warm-up, heavy main compound, and two assistance lifts formula just made my lifts cruise up at a steady pace with no plateaus. I'd finally hit 5, 5, and 5 or 8, 8, and 8 on a lift and bump the weight up by 5lbs then start working back up. I only really recently transitioned from 3x5 to 5/3/1 on my main compounds after I started getting decent numbers.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

"Fitness is 98% lighting. The other 2% is the sun effect on instagram. Actual fitness ringing at a whopping 0%"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife/

vains
May 26, 2004

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/07/tough-mudder/

Why do white people like this poo poo so much?

Hurr durr...I want to be cold, dirty, and tired and I'll pay you for the privilege and a cool tshirt.
-white ppl

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Veins McGee posted:

Hurr durr...I want to be cold, dirty, and tired and I'll pay you for the privilege and a cool tshirt.
-white ppl

It's real fun to get drunk and run around and climb things :kiddo:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

-white ppl

race traitor

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
as soon as you joined the military-industrial complex and committed your life to slaughtering innocent brown babies for the patriarchy you lost your brown status and became white

QED :smuggo:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Well really brown is white. :spergin:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
If you kill a black kid that is.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
well every form i fill out that asks me for my race first starts with 'are you hispanic?' then follows up with a bunch of diff races and the only one i can identify with is white so v0v

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
THose tough mudder things are on the same level of retarded as that goruck poo poo. Why yes i do want to pay a hundred bucks to get treated like poo poo for 10 hours for "camaraderie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snADi6oTlFw

ONE HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS PLEASE ALSO BUY OUR BAGS HOORAH

ghost bones fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 12, 2013

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Tried glute ham raises today. Failed miserably; possibly because I did it at the end of leg day. Did a couple of negatives so I could feel better about myself and save face in front of the old dude that was there. Any suggestions? I'm not fat or in bad shape.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smertrioslol posted:

Tried glute ham raises today. Failed miserably; possibly because I did it at the end of leg day. Did a couple of negatives so I could feel better about myself and save face in front of the old dude that was there. Any suggestions? I'm not fat or in bad shape.

Play around with the height and distance of the rollers. Basically, when laid out flat, your body should be straight across so when your feet are braced (usually your toes are what's in contact with the back panel), and your knees are firmly seated into the pad after doing the 'raise' motion.

The higher the knees are situated on the pad, the harder the movement is. So there's a sweet spot to find because the exercise is hard enough. Also, it helps me to keep my hands tucked into the small of my back like a parade rest motion.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Any suggestions on good insoles/any good way to not get blisters on long roadmarches?

I know MTFU is the obvious answer, but I used to never get them and now I do. My boots (Rockies) are super comfortable and broke-in, but I start getting really bad hot spots within the second mile. The blisters form about the fourth or fifth. Makes 12-milers pretty loving annoying.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Use arid xtra dry pit spray or foot powder, and get sock liners. The spray/powder will keep your feet dry, and the liners will reduce friction. Also file down your calluses like once or twice a week after a foot bath, so if and when you do get a blister, it'll be a lot smaller and not as deep.

e: Check out getting replacement insoles too. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Athlete-Cushion-Insole/dp/B002VEGMRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376350185&sr=8-1&keywords=sof+insole

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I remember before July, I had actually started to get good at running. Then, I went on leave, caught some kind of bug, had a class, and then went to the field. Now, I'm terrible at it again.
Our S3 loves to loving run too. We did a 5 miler yesterday with all of the staff, so naturally we assumed that today we wouldn't be doing that. After we pretty much begged him, he just said "Nah, yesterday didn't count. We're going on a 6 miler today" :wtc:.

And they wonder why so many dudes are on profile!

Does anyone else have flat feet?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

ghost bones posted:

THose tough mudder things are on the same level of retarded as that goruck poo poo. Why yes i do want to pay a hundred bucks to get treated like poo poo for 10 hours for "camaraderie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snADi6oTlFw

ONE HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS PLEASE ALSO BUY OUR BAGS HOORAH

genderstomper58 posted:

ima do a thing called GOSUB where i turn the lights really low in my house and lock people in there and wont let them see the outdoors and they have to take logs on my thermostat and clean my apartment constantly ill also scream stuff at them when they try to sleep on an intercom and refuse to shower but we still have to share a bed

vains
May 26, 2004

Pin press and floor press are definitely worth working into your chest routine, or an alternate day, if you're working on strength.

edit: I guess either strength or size. Floor press takes all your leg drive out of the movement. Pin press seems like you're taking your delts out, at least for me, when your pressing the bar up from the bottom.

vains fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Martello posted:

Blah blah blah.

You know what was awesome? Remember 1LT Anderson? When we came back from Afghanistan we only ran twice a week. Because about 2/3 of the PLT got 260+ on their diagnostic PT test after leave from all the working out we did in Afghanistan and he was the only one who failed push ups. So twice a week was a run, 3 times a week it was upper body/lower body conditioning. Best morning PT I ever had those 2-3 months!

Gave myself a diagnostic APFT. 80 push ups in under 2 minutes with chest to ground and locking out when I come up. 74 sit ups (gently caress this 27+ age group. I'm never going to max this poo poo ever again) and a 15:30 run. Took off about a minute from my run time in 3 weeks. Going to do more sprints and hopefully it'll be a 14 flat by the end of this month.