Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

When was Don West in WCW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

When was Don West in WCW?

TNA week 31

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Uh oh, Tenay got the leather jacket on, poo poo's going down!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have selected two and a half hours of the best and worst of Lex Luger. Join me here http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport at 8 PM Eastern and join in the fun! I have some more videos in reserve, but since we often get hijacked I wanted to make sure to hit certain things first.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Does anyone have the gif of Sting hitting Hogan with the bat from the end of the death of lex?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I want that looped as a ten hour dealie.

Also Sid and Steamboat were BEASTS in early WCW.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

bobkatt013 posted:

Does anyone have the gif of Sting hitting Hogan with the bat from the end of the death of lex?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love the non-chalant way he just wanders off, like drilling Hogan in the back of the leg is as common as making a sandwich is for him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The fact that he's only wearing one boot makes it funnier for some reason.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

haljordan posted:

The fact that he's only wearing one boot makes it funnier for some reason.

That's because Hogan needs that man to cut off his jeans, they are too tight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've been listening to some old Observer Live episodes to try and find more clips of Dave Meltzer selling stuff (and failing.) However, I picked up an interesting note from an early March 01 show. Dave notes that even though the sale to Fusient hasn't gone through, no shows are booked for April, although there are some holds on buildings. He says that it looks like AOL-Time Warner is planning on washing their hands of the operating WCW at the end of March no matter what.

Just another little tidbit to further flesh out why Vince got that company so cheap. There isn't a ton of hard evidence that AOL-Time Warner was tiring of Fusient other than the constant delays, but that's pretty solid.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Why was it so hard for them to get TV after TBS/TNT cancelled them? Did it have to do with how much they wanted to get paid for WCW programming? They still had pretty good ratings for cable tv.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

Why was it so hard for them to get TV after TBS/TNT cancelled them? Did it have to do with how much they wanted to get paid for WCW programming? They still had pretty good ratings for cable tv.

They had a week to get a deal before the company would be sold to the WWF, and no one wanted it. At that point WCW was doing 2.1s and pro wrestling was getting a stigma at that point. USA wasn't interested in wrestling unless they were getting the #1 product. FX was mildly interested but said no, and no other networks had interest. Of course at that point there weren't a ton of cable networks who were going to pay out millions for anything. Even if there were, a week isn't enough time to make a deal.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

They had a week to get a deal before the company would be sold to the WWF, and no one wanted it. At that point WCW was doing 2.1s and pro wrestling was getting a stigma at that point. USA wasn't interested in wrestling unless they were getting the #1 product. FX was mildly interested but said no, and no other networks had interest. Of course at that point there weren't a ton of cable networks who were going to pay out millions for anything. Even if there were, a week isn't enough time to make a deal.

Plus pending lawsuits and the huge debt WCW was under.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Excellent post by MassRafTer. The feeling within the TV industry was that Wrestling was a fad that had peaked. Along with those in TV industry having the belief that Vince McMahon was the only person that could make Wrestling work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

Excellent post by MassRafTer. The feeling within the TV industry was that Wrestling was a fad that had peaked. Along with those in TV industry having the belief that Vince McMahon was the only person that could make Wrestling work.

At the exact moment his golden touch was being called into question with the XFL. It was a bad time to try to get wrestling on TV.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rovert.

:staredog:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

No derails please.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

HulkaMatt posted:

No derails please.

People don't want my trolling on trolling boards or Twitter to be revealed as actually non-serious such as my characterisation being so strong there. I am actually nice guy and productive contributor on moderated forums as you well know, HulkaMatt.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NO DERAILS~!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Retro observer has Hall debuting, leading to Hall/Nash/Luger v Sting/Savage/Giant or Flair. Hogan is still out. Nash 'not being signed' was just an angle, as we guessed. And there's another Joe Silva letter.

Oh and Taue is triple crown champ. :3:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The retro Observer is pretty crazy considering all the stuff that was set in motion. Here are some of the parts

Observer June 3 1996 posted:

A combination of bad matches, bad commentary (even by company standards), little hype or excitement, bad interviews and bad angles resulted in a two-hour broadcast reminiscent more of a bad WCW Saturday Night show as opposed to the competing Monday Night Raw. However, amidst the attempt at a cure for insomnia was the debut of Hall, done in a manner that is almost certain to be one of the biggest money angles of the year.

Hall came out first, dressed in blue jeans but everything else similar to his old Razor Ramon character, in the middle of a dead match between Steve Doll and The Mauler (Mike Enos). The match basically ended with no finish and Hall came into the ring, doing his Latino accent, and acted as if he was a WWF wrestler who came out to avenge his company knocking WCW as if it were a hillbilly promotion and talking about Billionaire Ted, Scheme Gene and Nacho Man, the characters from the Vince McMahon parodies. The crowd was somewhat stunned by all this, with some cheering and most not really reacting out of shock.

From a one-upmanship category, it was the biggest strike Bischoff has pulled off including the Lex Luger debut, in that he's using McMahon's own storyline parody angles that were supposed to be used against WCW and end up being used in WCW's biggest angle against WWF as a way to draw money doing a Japanese style fake shoot angle built around the promotional war. It was a retribution for McMahon attempting to make a fool of Bischoff on his Raw show by putting one of his letters regarding the parodies on television and having Dok Hendrix saying "that this same executive from Turner Broadcasting" without mentioning Bischoff by name, who had days earlier called to say how much he enjoyed the parodies (on the day the ratings came out during a week where WCW Nitro scored its biggest win over Raw). No name was ever given to Hall, other than Bischoff's frequent references to him saying he wouldn't mention a name because he doesn't want any more legal letters "but you all know who he is." Hall's second interview was hyped throughout the second hour and came at the end of the show where he again acted as if he was a WWF wrestler challenging the WCW wrestlers to a three-on-three match and talked about his side taking over, and mentioning the "war" wouldn't be in commentary (referring to Bischoff's knocking of WWF) or in newspapers or in dirt sheets and continually using Billionaire Ted, Scheme Gene, Nacho Man and calling Bischoff a Ken-doll weatherman wannabe while Bischoff acted as if everything was an unplanned intrusion into the live show (which is why Bischoff had attempted to get word out that it wasn't definite Nash or Hall were coming and ran down Hall in a newspaper article because he was simply working an angle). The plan was that this match will end up being the main event on the 7/6 WCW Bash at the Beach PPV from Daytona Beach with Hall & Kevin Nash & likely Lex Luger (who, if it turns out to be him, it'll be revealed was part of a ruse to befriend people with the idea never stated but implied that the WWF was behind it all along), with the idea that they might be managed by Ted DiBiase.

In another King of the Ring qualifier, Jake Roberts pinned Hunter Hearst Helmsley in 10:30 after a DDT and Roberts put the snake on HHH after the match as well. The results was almost certainly punishment for the incident in Madison Square Garden on 6/19 where Helmsley, Shawn Michaels, Diesel and Razor Ramon did the curtain call in the ring after the show violating kayfabe big-time. There was a sizeable amount of internal heat regarding the wrestlers doing it even though the majority of fans had left before Michaels finished his post-match routine and it was mainly the hardcores left who liked it. Anyway, since they couldn't punish Diesel or Ramon since they were leaving (apparently flagrantly violating as many rules as possible on the way out) and Michaels is the company's golden boy and top draw, it was Helmsley who was the one made the example out of.

Dwayne Johnson, the son of Rocky, debuted under the name Flex Kabana as a babyface teaming with Brian Christopher in a tag title match on the 5/25 television against Lawler & Bill Dundee. Dundee hit the ref for the DQ finish saving the title. Kabana, who has only had about a half-dozen pro matches, was said to have shown a lot of potential.

Monday Night Raw tapings on 5/27 in Fayetteville, NC drew a sellout of about 5,000 fans (4,200 paying $51,756 with all tickets gone one day in advance). The show opened with a try-out match where the Overlords beat the Hardy Brothers. All four looked green.

That's pretty loving insane. There is more that I left out, including the Million Dollar Man giving notice he was leaving for WCW, therefore WWF let Steve Austin lose him as a manager.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Who were the Overlords?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I still can't believe how many matches are won/lost and how many belts change hands due to sheer pettiness and spite. The concept of forcing someone to job as a punitive measure is a really funny way of handling workplace discipline.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

haljordan posted:

I still can't believe how many matches are won/lost and how many belts change hands due to sheer pettiness and spite. The concept of forcing someone to job as a punitive measure is a really funny way of handling workplace discipline.

My favorite story along these lines comes from the pre-Bischoff WCW days, when Bill Watts told people like Brian Pillman that they either needed to accept a salary cut, or else they'd be used as jobbers for the duration of their WCW contracts. To which Pillman replied "Then I'll be the highest-paid jobber in the business." :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who were the Overlords?

some tag team out of North Carolina according to Matt Hardy.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My favorite story along these lines comes from the pre-Bischoff WCW days, when Bill Watts told people like Brian Pillman that they either needed to accept a salary cut, or else they'd be used as jobbers for the duration of their WCW contracts. To which Pillman replied "Then I'll be the highest-paid jobber in the business." :v:

I wonder if it's like "loving RVD took my cole slaw! Get ready to lose to a midget for your next 50 matches, cocksucker!!"

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dave Lagana made a funny (and accurate) quip about the weird and petty way in which wrestling generally works, "Imagine how different Jurassic Park would've been if they jobbed the T-Rex out because he offended someone at catering"

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 12, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Tell the T-rex to stop wearing long tights, he has great quads & he should be showing them off.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Hopefully that is being stopped alittle under HHH seeing as the whole shield heat stories and the fact they didn't end up jobbing their titles and get busted down to Main Event/Superstars.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Tell the T-rex to stop wearing long tights, he has great quads & he should be showing them off.

While I don't know where this quote came from, I can only assume it's from Vince due to how overtly gay it sounds. See also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsRtuoIDSc

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While I don't know where this quote came from, I can only assume it's from Vince due to how overtly gay it sounds.

You know your pro wrestling!

Vince was amazed when he saw Jericho's manly thighs :monocle:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

triplexpac posted:

You know your pro wrestling!

Vince was amazed when he saw Jericho's manly thighs :monocle:

Didn't he also say the same thing to Miz?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Didn't he also say the same thing to Miz?

No they told him he was in the WWE and not some bumblefuck fed in a western ohio highschool gym.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I present you the best WCW angle ever:

This occurs after Benoit left WCW for the WWF, in the beginning of the year 2000, and the title was left vacant. WCW now had a quest to find their new champion and its super confusing and illogical. Basically this was an average WCW angle in the '99-'00 era.

After Benoit left , Terry Taylor announced on Thunder that there was going to be an nWo versus WCW match on the Jan. 24 Nitro for the vacant title. Sid, he announced, was the WCW representative, and the nWo was going to be able to choose whomever they pleased. Nash, the Commissioner, chose Jarrett. But, he said, if Sid beat Jarrett, he wouldn't get the belt. Instead, he'd get a match with Nash for the belt. If Jarrett won, Nash would presumably just get the belt via forfeit.

Nitro came, and it was announced that Jeff Jarrett couldn't wrestle yet because of a concussion(he missed the Souled Out PPV as well). So Nash said that Sid had to beat Don Harris instead in order to win the shot against him for the title later. It gets more ridiculous. During the Sid versus Don match, Don switched places with his twin brother Ron. Sid pinned Ron. During the commercial break, however-and keep in mind , this was therefor not seen by people watching TV-it was announced that Sid had beaten the wrong guy and had to return to beat the right one. He didn't return, and was counted out. Logically, this should have meant that Don Harris was the new WCW champion. Or Nash was. Who knows.

Anyway, since this happened during the break, on TV they pretended that it had never happened. So in the man event, Sid got his title shot anyway in the most horrendous match since, well, the last time they had a horrendous match, which was at Starrcade the month prior. This particular technical classic was highlighted by them screwing up the very first move they tried, which was a bodyslam(It needs to be seen to believed). Jarrett ran out and accidently hit Nash with a guitar, allowing Sid to get the pin. Finally WCW has their champion!!!!!

Nope.....

After all this went down, it was announced on Thunder that Sid had, in fact, pinned the wrong Harris twin. So, Nash ruled, he (meaning Nash) was the champion. He then signed a new man event, himself and the Harris twin that Sid Did Not Beat versus Sid in a cage match for the title. He made sure to note that the only way Sid could win the belt was to pin both himself and Ron. Sid managed to beat both Nash and Harris to become their new champ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is there going to be a thing today?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

No, probably Thursday, I am out of town.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

My friend, we are watching Pancrase in http://www.psp-tv.com/r/mma4pay if you care to partake.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Isn't this just an excerpt from Death of WCW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't this just an excerpt from Death of WCW?

I'm pretty sure it's a story from the book but it's not an excerpt, although it's written about as well as one of R.D. Reynold's chapters.