Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Playing as a Zoroastrian ruler has been a real boon to my eugenics program.

My brother and my daughter make such a cute couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd there a limit to how many times the Shia can pop up? I swear I just had the fith occurrence of "Shia Emerged". I'm assuming its happening because the current Sunni caliph owns a monster empire, and just keeps steamrolling them every time. However, I'm guessing the number of event troops they spawn with scales to the size of the Sunni caliph, because the last time they appeared they had over 200,000 troops materialize in a tiny backwater Russian province :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I (as the king of Wales) had an illegitimate daughter with the wife of my uncle. I then married her off to my son. Half sister is far enough removed to not have extra retard babies right? they haven't yet!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nightblade posted:

Playing as a Zoroastrian ruler has been a real boon to my eugenics program.

My brother and my daughter make such a cute couple.

I've never seen a stat over 30, that's amazing. How do they even get up that high? I've seen at most raw traits reach 17-18 then boosted up into the mid 20's with various traits.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen a stat over 30, that's amazing. How do they even get up that high? I've seen at most raw traits reach 17-18 then boosted up into the mid 20's with various traits.

If you're the guardian there're several events that can raise the diplomacy of either the ward or yourself. The event that gave my heir the "gregarious" trait, for example, also came with +2 base diplomacy in addition to the +2 from the trait. The daughter has 8 dip from traits, 9 from education, 5 from genius and 9 base, so she's got quite good, but not amazing base stats.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Do Zoroastrians not get the inbred trait?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

I just scrolled over to Byzantium to see how they were doing, and found a bunch of independent dukes and no civil war. It seems the Byzantine Empire is always one snip away from vanishing.

Did the Norse County Conquest CB change recently? I've been conquering Ireland and Iberia and it's always booted out all the nobles from the holdings and let me assign new ones. Now I took Uppland from Catholic Sweden and it got me the top-level holding but the nobles in the barony-level holdings remain. This leaves a catholic priest in charge of Uppsala which is a bit irritating.

Also it won't let me use County Conquest against the pagans in Finland? I could swear it worked when I was consolidating Norrland waaaay back at the start of the game. (The independent part of Norrland starts with two Norse rulers and one Suomenusko.)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dr. Tough posted:

Do Zoroastrians not get the inbred trait?

I don't think so, or at least it's very difficult to get. I'm several generations in and I haven't seen it show up yet.

On another note, how do I form the Persian Empire in CK2+ as the Persian Zoroastrians? I have 3 kingdoms and 180 holdings, thought that would be enough but don't see the option anywhere.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ok, I'm playing a new game as the Pretty Kingdom of Munster and also control the duchy of Leincaster. I was super fortunate that my starting king lived for 70 years because his heir ended up dying at age 21 so I needed to wait for my next born son to grow. Thankfully he has awesome stats from being raised right so it all worked out. Currently this king controls all of my provinces directly (5 of them) but I separated them into their respective duchies. Was this the correct decision or should I have the Kingdom of Munster rule over everything? Also another concern, since my first king lived forever he had like 5 sons and 3 daughters, some of them not even of age yet, do I have to give a poo poo about them at all or do I need to educate them etc.

Argh I'm so confused.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Yeah it'll pop up an annoying warning for every child you need to educate.

Duchies and subtitles are up to you and it depends on how powerful you like your vassals/how many counts you want to babysit/needing duchy-level titles to conquer vassals. Your vassals will also get mad at you for holding too many high-level titles. At your size and since you control them all directly, I wouldn't have created the duchies since it'll just be something for your vassals to get mad over later when you have to dole out that land, and also if you usurp other duchies you'll hit the duchy limit quicker

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 13, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there a way to undo a duchy title?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

chunkles posted:

I wouldn't have created the duchies since it'll just be something for your vassals to get mad over later when you have to dole out that land, and also if you usurp other duchies you'll hit the duchy limit quicker

It Ireland though its not exactly known for its large and powerful Duchy's. The only one of any consequence is Ulster which he can just keep for himself, doling out Meath, Leinster and Connacht isnt going to create powerful and troublesome Dukes. And besides if hes that concerned about dukes just give the title to a bishop, boom problem solved forever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there a way to undo a duchy title?

You can destroy them but it costs you prestige and will make anyone that is a "dejure" part of that tiltle mad at you. So if you really want to get rid of them better to do it now while you hold the title.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also another concern, since my first king lived forever he had like 5 sons and 3 daughters, some of them not even of age yet, do I have to give a poo poo about them at all or do I need to educate them etc.

Argh I'm so confused.

If you dont think there will be a situation where you will end up playing as them then you can just ignore them, someone will probably offer to educate them eventually. Although if you give them to a good teacher then they might get good skills which could make them useful on your counsel. Also if you need allies the AI will consider the persons skills when agreeing/not agreeing to marry. Another good use of siblings that are still children is to have them educated by vassals that have lower opinions of you since this will boost their opinion.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 13, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I don't know if this has popped up in this thread before or not but, is there a way to access the Characters menu that used to be in the game where the factions menu is now? I like to search out Ubermensch and invite them to my kingdom/find super-women to marry to courtiers and then teach my kids.

Edit: VVV Thanks!

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 13, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's just so much micromanaging and I only control half of Ireland. I must be doing more than I should be.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Caliph Francisco, (titular) King of Portugal. :holy:

God, it's not stopping.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

PrinceRandom posted:

I don't know if this has popped up in this thread before or not but, is there a way to access the Characters menu that used to be in the game where the factions menu is now? I like to search out Ubermensch and invite them to my kingdom/find super-women to marry to courtiers and then teach my kids.
It's still around. It got moved to the bottom-right corner of the screen, under the minimap.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Oh god no the new CK2+ thread is already devolving into debates about Icelandic culture no not like this

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think Zoroastrians don't tend get the inbred trait because most of the time you're not marrying full brother-sister combos. Its generally half-siblings across concubines, and that's before you take into account uncles/aunts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Zoroastrians don't get inbred as often because they have the divine_blood flag Pdox originally added to help out the guys doing the GoT mod for the Targaryens. It vastly reduces the chance of getting the inbred trait, but makes lunacy more common.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I got the inbred trait on the first son I had in my last Zoroastrian game. :saddowns:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Zoroastrians don't get inbred as often because they have the divine_blood flag Pdox originally added to help out the guys doing the GoT mod for the Targaryens. It vastly reduces the chance of getting the inbred trait, but makes lunacy more common.

Actually, it looks like that's changed a bit (lunacy is no more likely):

pre:
        INBRED_DIVINE_BLOOD_TRAIT_CHANCE_FACTOR = 0.2,  -- Inbreeding: Multiplier to the base chance
        LUNATIC_DIVINE_BLOOD_TRAIT_CHANCE_FACTOR = 1.0, -- Inbreeding: Multiplier to the base chance
        DIVINE_BLOOD_FERTILITY_MULT = 0.25                              -- Fertility multiplier in a religious close kin marriage
Also, that fertility multiplier explains a lot -- it's not uncommon for divine marriages to produce no children at all, making concubines an absolute necessity (which, frankly, is probably good).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I had forgotten how insanely easy vanilla is, lol. 1071 Start as Dukes of Upper Lorraine, already King of Lotharinga with all of Brabant, Flanders, Gelere, Lower Lorraine, and parts of Upper Burgandy and its uh 1114?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

DrPop posted:

Oh god no the new CK2+ thread is already devolving into debates about Icelandic culture no not like this

It's fine, we made fun of those guys enough in the dev chat, it's in good hands.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I loaded up my Andalusian Capua (Now King of Denmark) game to do some fixing up so I could export it tomorrow (It's from a couple patches ago, I'm hoping there's nothing too wrong with it that I can't export), and I was looking around. Figured I'd see what republics were in, and there's a lot more than I thought. Mallorca, Tunis, The Navarrese Company... wait, what? I guess at some point somebody gave these mercenaries a merchant republic? I can't even fathom why.

Anyway, because it was from a few patches ago, there were a few provinces that had been added in between my finishing and now, I was able to give them to people, but they have nothing in them, no holdings, no province religion and no province culture. Is there a way to add those? I'm looking in the save file, but it's pretty drat gigantic.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

catlord posted:

The Navarrese Company... wait, what? I guess at some point somebody gave these mercenaries a merchant republic? I can't even fathom why.

What probably happened is a republic hired them to defend against invaders but ran out of money, so the mercs retaliated with an invasion of there own and took over. I saw this in a game once with the Company of the Hat seizing Venice.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
As the king of Ireland I married my sister off to the king of Scotland for an alliance. The motherfucker turns around and tries to press some random woman's weak claim on one of my duchies, and I manage to fight him off and kill him in battle. That causes Scotland to immediately explode into a succession crisis, and right after I force the new king to surrender the duchy claim, the rear end in a top hat has the gall to ask me to come to his defense in the succession crisis.

Yeah, gently caress off. That's 100 prestige I will gladly pay.

Fake edit: I also set my king's ambition to improve his Martial skill and I'm pretty sure he gained a few points by playing medieval Warhammer with the local teenagers. This game owns so hard.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Dallan Invictus posted:

(for example, something like echopapa's "cultural names" mod could be made without depending on CK2+'s landed_titles, because the mod package would just need to include "differences" for each title rather than all of the content)

Once somebody figures this out, please let me know, as I'm about halfway through updating the cultural names mod for vanilla.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

DrPop posted:

There's also the Italian culture guy that apparently wants like 5 different cultures or something on the peninsula.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

as well as the +gold popups and unit damage numbers.

Those are straight out of EU3. :ssh:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

It's fine, we made fun of those guys enough in the dev chat, it's in good hands.

God bless

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I just got an 8MB patch for CK2, anyone know what it might be?

edit: it's 1.11, the converter is listed as "new content available" but isn't accessible yet, presumably because EU4 hasn't unlocked.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 13, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

I just got an 8MB patch for CK2, anyone know what it might be?

edit: it's 1.11, the converter is listed as "new content available" but isn't accessible yet, presumably because EU4 hasn't unlocked.)
Yes, it's 1.11 there is the new auto-stop plot button on the plot page now. And the supposedly improved invited plot ui that i can check yet because i have no compatible save where i was invited in a plot. Now i just wish there was a "offer to join the plot" option in the diplo ui when you discover one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

WilliamAnderson posted:

Oh thank God the mod's not run by those spergy nationalists. Personally speaking, the only culture that I feel needs to be split up is the German one (into Southern German and Northern German or something like that), though more so for gameplay reasons so as to destabilize the HRE a bit. :v:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So, after pressing a claim to Andalucia for my half-brother and winning, one of his new vassals with his own claim turned around, pressed his claim and won the war.
Leaving me with a new, Muslim, Sultan of Andalucia (compared to my Norse) with most of Spain & Portugal and Morocco, Tunisia & Algeria to his name. :ohdear:

I managed to convert him :getin: and he's since spent his time converting pretty much every single one of his vassals to Norse :getin:
My main concern is that he has access to almost 70k troops and has gone to war with a still very strong Byzantine empire for Sicily and won without breaking a sweat.
For now, we're best buds, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit worried about what he could do.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Quick question - does ck2+ strip out some of the CBs for pagan rulers? I'm about 100 years into a Sweden/Svithjod game and I've not seen the coastal county or subjugation CBs pop up once.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Owlkill posted:

Quick question - does ck2+ strip out some of the CBs for pagan rulers? I'm about 100 years into a Sweden/Svithjod game and I've not seen the coastal county or subjugation CBs pop up once.

Pagan Subjugation is not in CK2+. It really takes the teeth out of the pagans.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Oh thank God the mod's not run by those spergy nationalists. Personally speaking, the only culture that I feel needs to be split up is the German one (into Southern German and Northern German or something like that), though more so for gameplay reasons so as to destabilize the HRE a bit. :v:
(Continental) Saxon ought to make an appearance, at least for the 867 start. Split that and, I dunnom, Bavarian, away to make Germany a bit more diverse?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Owlkill posted:

Subjugation and coastal conquest are out in CK2+.

It is still plenty easy to expand with simple conquest CBs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've seen it only once playing my CK2+ King of Karjala. I think it was one of the options when I had a independent county under my just-formed ducal crown's de jure territory. I thought "huh, that's new" and just pressed my ducal claim. Didn't want to take a chance and possibly waste that Conquest cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
That's pretty nice, you can now mouse over a plot and the tooltip will tell you both the initial power and the potential power after inviting people. So if it's 100%> then you can just not bother instead of having to go through and check

• Locked thread