Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

kedo posted:

Based on an extremely scientific study (read: the last four posts) I have determined dentists are chronically under-administering novacaine. Please tell me there is some legal loophole so that I may sue all dentists at once.

It depends on whether their name on the door is in all caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.wbir.com/news/article/283997/2/Judge-orders-babys-name-be-changed-from-Messiah

Y'all might enjoy this! I was in court on a couple of unrelated cases last week and got to see this hearing. I didn't say anything because I have a lot of business in front of her, but I don't agree with this decision. This is the same court that literally opens with a prayer asking that "justice be done in the eyes of our savior, Jesus Christ."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Forgive me if this is a facile observation but by her logic, shouldn't all the Mohammeds and Husseins living in the deep south also change their names?

What is this country if not a place where a corporation has more rights than a citizen and people can't give their children ridiculous-sounding names?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It is my god given right to name my son

Neiman "Coca-Cola" Marcus

It's biblical.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Messiah isn't even that uncommon a name, is it? Anyway, I agree with the mother, the judge shouldn't be allowed to change a baby's name because of her own religious beliefs.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I live across the hall from the neighbors from hell, and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Many of us have tried talking to them politely and leaving letters asking them to keep things quieter (constant yelling, sometimes at 7AM, sometimes well into the night, kids running around the common areas of the building, and just so much more), and they haven't done a thing.

I am about to basically talk to them for the last time, as I am going to tell them (in nicer terms) that anymore bullshit and it will be recorded (from inside our units, several of us from different units are in this together) and sent to the condo association and the local police will be called and a noise complaint will be filed. There isn't anything legally wrong with that, correct? I had some friend telling me you can't threaten to call the police (despite that it is a legitimate complaint).

e: These people also constantly let their dogs out into the hallways "by accident". This has resulted in one coming into my unit and my cat attacking it (she hates dogs and is territorial), and some other tenant letting a dog out of the building because he didn't see it at his feet. On both of these occasions they have tried to blame us and (in my case) tried to get me to pay the vet fees for the cuts my cat caused to one of the dog's face. I laughed at that one.

Also, if it matters, they are renters and everyone who has spoken with them and are trying to get this stopped (all 5 of us) are owners.

booshi fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 12, 2013

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I know you've posted about these people before. Your condo association surely has some mechanism for sanctioning the owner of the unit, does it not?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

NancyPants posted:

I know you've posted about these people before. Your condo association surely has some mechanism for sanctioning the owner of the unit, does it not?

The old association did nothing, even before I moved in a year ago (which is pretty ridiculous).

The new association is listening, but wants "evidence" (hence the legal question of can I record video in my unit even if it is to capture noise coming from outside?). They also said they don't want to "step on any toes" as they become our new management.

Since I last posted, I'm on the condo board, and I STILL can't the management company to do a thing.

One other question: if I phone in a noise complaint and the police arrive, will they ask to come into my unit? I don't keep anything just sitting out but I do smoke marijuana some evenings and would rather not get a fine/my things taken (I live in MA; it's decriminalized) if the police come in and maybe smell something?

ETA: I would not phone the police if high/had smoked recently.

booshi fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2013

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

booshi posted:

The old association did nothing, even before I moved in a year ago (which is pretty ridiculous).

The new association is listening, but wants "evidence" (hence the legal question of can I record video in my unit even if it is to capture noise coming from outside?). They also said they don't want to "step on any toes" as they become our new management.

Since I last posted, I'm on the condo board, and I STILL can't the management company to do a thing.

One other question: if I phone in a noise complaint and the police arrive, will they ask to come into my unit? I don't keep anything just sitting out but I do smoke marijuana some evenings and would rather not get a fine/my things taken (I live in MA; it's decriminalized) if the police come in and maybe smell something?

I also had the neighbors from hell in my old condo. Way too many people living there, constant banging on the walls and floors, yelling, crying children etc. I called in a noise complaint at least once a week and the cops would come and ask them to keep it down then leave, they literally never did anything beyond that. When you call the non-emergency number they will ask if you want to speak with the officer who comes to the house, just tell them you wish to remain anonymous.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

JesustheDarkLord posted:

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/283997/2/Judge-orders-babys-name-be-changed-from-Messiah

Y'all might enjoy this! I was in court on a couple of unrelated cases last week and got to see this hearing. I didn't say anything because I have a lot of business in front of her, but I don't agree with this decision. This is the same court that literally opens with a prayer asking that "justice be done in the eyes of our savior, Jesus Christ."

Find a Jewish judge to declare it reversible error, as the Messiah clearly has not yet come.

I'm only half-joking.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Diplomaticus posted:

Find a Jewish judge to declare it reversible error

This is Appalachian Tennessee. There are no Jewish people.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

JesustheDarkLord posted:

This is Appalachian Tennessee. There are no Jewish people.

http://gscourt.nashville.gov/portal/page/portal/generalSessions/judges/judgeEisenstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cohen

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

200 and 400 miles away.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
They have appellate courts in Appalachia?

-e- Unless you're actually seriously arguing that no Jewish people live in that area, in which case I don't even know what to tell you.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Diplomaticus posted:

They have appellate courts in Appalachia?

-e- Unless you're actually seriously arguing that no Jewish people live in that area, in which case I don't even know what to tell you.

While I'm exaggerating some, check out the local breakdown:
http://www.city-data.com/county/religion/Cocke-County-TN.html

Judge Ballew is a child support referee, which is basically a special master with jurisdiction over setting support, support contempt, and name disputes. Appeals from her court go to the county Chancellor or one of the Circuit judges for the district depending on the origin of the case.

Appeals from there go to the Eastern Division of the Court of Appeals, which consists of four non-Jewish judges. After that is the state Supreme Court which probably has at least one Jewish justice but I've never been in front of them so I'm not that familiar with them.

Is there a better thread to discuss bad rulings? This is the only legal thread I follow.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

While I'm exaggerating some, check out the local breakdown:
http://www.city-data.com/county/religion/Cocke-County-TN.html

Judge Ballew is a child support referee, which is basically a special master with jurisdiction over setting support, support contempt, and name disputes. Appeals from her court go to the county Chancellor or one of the Circuit judges for the district depending on the origin of the case.

Appeals from there go to the Eastern Division of the Court of Appeals, which consists of four non-Jewish judges. After that is the state Supreme Court which probably has at least one Jewish justice but I've never been in front of them so I'm not that familiar with them.

Is there a better thread to discuss bad rulings? This is the only legal thread I follow.

This one would fit better.

That poor kid. A judge who doesn't know what country she's in and parents that don't know what planet they're on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

Based on an extremely scientific study (read: the last four posts) I have determined dentists are chronically under-administering novacaine. Please tell me there is some legal loophole so that I may sue all dentists at once.

Pro Se - The secrets that lawyers DON'T want you to know about.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Goddamn. A person with my last name would be hosed practicing there.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
-

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 22, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's most likely is that you get endlessly ridiculed for touching the poop, and deservedly so.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just wait until your bitcoins are worth 10,000 fiat dollars each then call up the nonbeliever that sold them to you and laugh at his lack of faith.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 13, 2013

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
A friend of mine is writing his memoirs and I've been editing them (which involves some pretty drastic changes, since his English skills are not strong.) He's a bit paranoid and wants to conclude some kind of an agreement before we go any farther. I'm not invested enough in this project to pay for a lawyer, and he doesn't have the money, so does anybody see any major issues with us both just making a written agreement that states the following:

1. Only he can publish the resulting book and can do so in any form he likes; however, I must be credited as coauthor.
2. In lieu of payment for my work, I get 1/3 of any earnings from the work exceeding CA$100,000 (or some other large number).

I'm in Pennsylvania and he's in BC, Canada. I assume that the governing law would be Canadian, though I don't know if that needs to be stated in the agreement. I realize that enforcing this would be difficult in any circumstances; the purpose is mostly to assuage his paranoia that I'm going to steal his story and make sure that I get a piece of the action if this is some fluke success (he's a minor celebrity and has a lot of crazy stories to tell.)

And if anyone can point me to any kind of simple guide to relevant copyright laws, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Starpluck posted:

Just out of curiosity from something that happened earlier, I made a deposit into someone else's account today at Wells Fargo for a product (bitcoin) for over $200. I forgot to sign the deposit slip as the slip instructed me to do so in front of the teller, but we both forgot. The deposit has been processed and I now have my product, what can happen (even if the possibility is stretched)? I assume absolutely nothing?

What do you want to happen / fear might happen?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

A friend of mine is writing his memoirs and I've been editing them (which involves some pretty drastic changes, since his English skills are not strong.) He's a bit paranoid and wants to conclude some kind of an agreement before we go any farther. I'm not invested enough in this project to pay for a lawyer, and he doesn't have the money, so does anybody see any major issues with us both just making a written agreement that states the following:

1. Only he can publish the resulting book and can do so in any form he likes; however, I must be credited as coauthor.
2. In lieu of payment for my work, I get 1/3 of any earnings from the work exceeding CA$100,000 (or some other large number).

I'm in Pennsylvania and he's in BC, Canada. I assume that the governing law would be Canadian, though I don't know if that needs to be stated in the agreement. I realize that enforcing this would be difficult in any circumstances; the purpose is mostly to assuage his paranoia that I'm going to steal his story and make sure that I get a piece of the action if this is some fluke success (he's a minor celebrity and has a lot of crazy stories to tell.)

And if anyone can point me to any kind of simple guide to relevant copyright laws, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

This is way way too specific for any lawyers here to able to help you--see the OP. If you can't afford a lawyer, keep copies of all of your discussions and agreements. That said, the only way any of this would matter is if the book makes any money, so you might be the best judge of how likely that may be.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Writers' Union of Canada may have some resources. You would be crazy to do #2, though; vanishingly few memoirs make over $100,000, even for really big US celebrities.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Starpluck posted:

Just out of curiosity from something that happened earlier, I made a deposit into someone else's account today at Wells Fargo for a product (bitcoin) for over $200. I forgot to sign the deposit slip as the slip instructed me to do so in front of the teller, but we both forgot. The deposit has been processed and I now have my product, what can happen (even if the possibility is stretched)? I assume absolutely nothing?

EDIT: I had to purchase the bitcoins due to an annoyingly inconvenient purchase-currency requirement. I don't invest in that crap.

What 'happened earlier' that made you invest into Buttcoins? Why not throw a party for $200 for all your friends, heh. Really, nothing will come of this besides shame.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Darth123123 posted:

What 'happened earlier' that made you invest into Buttcoins? Why not throw a party for $200 for all your friends, heh. Really, nothing will come of this besides shame.

Going by his post history and his post, I'm gonna guess he needed the Bitcoins to buy drugs online.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course, to answer the original question, because hell why not, that signature (at least at all the US banks I've ever been to) is only needed when cashing all or part of a deposit. If you write a check to deposit in an account, you don't need a signature on the slip if the name the check is made out to matches the name on the account it's going to and it's all going straight into the account in question. If you want to get part of that check back in cash, though, you'll need to sign the slip, because the way it works is that the cash is deposited wholly into the account and then whatever part you wanted is withdrawn to cash. On a similar note, an entire check can be turned to cash without an account to first deposit it to, you just have to take it to the issuing bank. And of course, if you're depositing cash, you don't have to sign the deposit slip there, either.

You're still a poop-toucher though.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 13, 2013

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I got really mad once when Chase refused to cash a check drawn on J.P. Morgan Chase and I had to take it to a check cashing store where I was grilled on why I was in New York if my address was in Maryland. Life between bank accounts can be difficult.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I guess that's what this thread is for - Isn't the judge's decision on the name "Messiah" a violation of the constitution's "church and state" clause?

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

The Writers' Union of Canada may have some resources. You would be crazy to do #2, though; vanishingly few memoirs make over $100,000, even for really big US celebrities.

Thanks very much for the link-- that is more useful than anything that I found in an hour of Googling. As for the dollar amount, I pretty much pulled that out of the air. The basic idea was to name an unrealistically high number and then claim a big percentage of anything over that. If you've got any expertise in the publishing field, how much do you think would be wildly successful for a book by a minor reality TV star?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

how much do you think would be wildly successful for a book by a minor reality TV star?

Get paid up front. Does your friend have a publishing contract yet? Because I wouldn't be sure he could even get one.

Anyway memoirs of a minor Canadian reality tv star... Yeah. This isn't what you'll retire on.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I guess that's what this thread is for - Isn't the judge's decision on the name "Messiah" a violation of the constitution's "church and state" clause?

Her stated reason, "The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ" runs afoul of the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Even if she didn't give an impermissible reason, there'd still be a free speech clause (also First Amemdment) issue and a privacy/ parental prerogative (9th and/or 14th Amendment) issue.

On the other hand, the reason the judge was making the change at all was because mommy and daddy chucklehead were too dumb to settle on a last name, so they asked the judge to do it for them. By including her religions opinions as a basis for her decision, the judge doubled down on the dumb.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Funny thing that only kinda sounds like asking for straight up legal advice.

I'm running the office for a little labor company, and we're set to do our first bit of junk hauling. I'm trying to make sure we have some small amount of CYA for this gig. What's a good name (or, even, the name) for a little document that says "[Our client] is giving [my company] this crap and I no longer own it?" This is mainly in case some of the crap is worth trying to hand off to a used furniture store or to by donating it for a minor write off.

Also, I will try to pass off good :smuggo: answers to my boss as a legit option. Because my current option is:

"This here poo poo? Don't want it!" Spake the Undersigned.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

Funny thing that only kinda sounds like asking for straight up legal advice.

I'm running the office for a little labor company, and we're set to do our first bit of junk hauling. I'm trying to make sure we have some small amount of CYA for this gig. What's a good name (or, even, the name) for a little document that says "[Our client] is giving [my company] this crap and I no longer own it?" This is mainly in case some of the crap is worth trying to hand off to a used furniture store or to by donating it for a minor write off.

Also, I will try to pass off good :smuggo: answers to my boss as a legit option. Because my current option is:

"This here poo poo? Don't want it!" Spake the Undersigned.

"Release of Owner's Interest in Personal Property"
(you might get a little more CYA by adding something to include the client stating that he/she is the owner of the crap, but is giving ownership to you guys)

If it was real property (land or a house), it could be a quitclaim deed.
Since it's just crap, it could be a shitclaim deed.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

joat mon posted:

"Release of Owner's Interest in Personal Property"
(you might get a little more CYA by adding something to include the client stating that he/she is the owner of the crap, but is giving ownership to you guys)

If it was real property (land or a house), it could be a quitclaim deed.
Since it's just crap, it could be a shitclaim deed.

Assuming that it isn't an all-cash business, a receipt or for disposal services might be enough. Especially if they sign it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A release of owner's interest would be fine to ensure the owner couldn't try to get any of the property back, or seek value if some of it was valuable. If you want to ensure the owner isn't liable if there's something toxic, that gets more complicated.

But really, if you're running a business with at least one full-time employee you can afford to engage an attorney. Spend the few grand for peace of mind and an existing relationship with a trusted, local attorney in case something unexpected comes up.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I'm looking into buying a home in California with my boyfriend and we want to make sure we're both legally protected in terms of how the asset will be dealt with in case of death or separation, etc. I want to get my ducks in a row before we start talking to realtors and I figure this is one of the first steps.

Is there a name for the kind of attorney who can help us draft up the kind of paperwork we need? Would it just be a real estate attorney or do they do something different? I don't want to trust random googling when this is going to be the most expensive thing I ever buy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arcturas posted:

A release of owner's interest would be fine to ensure the owner couldn't try to get any of the property back, or seek value if some of it was valuable. If you want to ensure the owner isn't liable if there's something toxic, that gets more complicated.

But really, if you're running a business with at least one full-time employee you can afford to engage an attorney. Spend the few grand for peace of mind and an existing relationship with a trusted, local attorney in case something unexpected comes up.

Also if you're hauling trash out, at some point you'll run into a customer who'll want an official receipt so they can show regulators that yes, their trash was hauled away properly and not "disappeared".

Get a lawyer and get those templates made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pancaek posted:

I'm looking into buying a home in California with my boyfriend and we want to make sure we're both legally protected in terms of how the asset will be dealt with in case of death or separation, etc. I want to get my ducks in a row before we start talking to realtors and I figure this is one of the first steps.

Is there a name for the kind of attorney who can help us draft up the kind of paperwork we need? Would it just be a real estate attorney or do they do something different? I don't want to trust random googling when this is going to be the most expensive thing I ever buy.

Any local (non criminal) attorney could do this. Criminal attorneys could do it too if they wanted to.

Outside of super exclusive corporate legal world, almost all lawyers, and almost certainly all the lawyers goons will ever meet, will be general practice attorneys or criminal attorneys, or both. If they can't do something you want to do they will know someone who can.

Mind you that each of you will get your own attorney in this case. You aren't both going to go see one attorney.