Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What kind of snake is this?

edit: Found near Buffalo, NY, if region helps narrow it down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

DNova posted:

What kind of snake is this?

Reminds me of a copperhead, but I recall a lot of look-alike water snakes that it could be too.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Douche4Sale posted:

Reminds me of a copperhead, but I recall a lot of look-alike water snakes that it could be too.

Head is the wrong shape for a copperhead. Snake in the picture isn't venomous.

e: I don't know that much about snakes and could be wrong... don't go stick your hand in its mouth because I told you it isn't venomous.

e2: Venomous snakes have triangular heads, is what I'm getting at.

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 12, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Head is the wrong shape for a copperhead. Snake in the picture isn't venomous.

e: I don't know that much about snakes and could be wrong... don't go stick your hand in its mouth because I told you it isn't venomous.

e2: Venomous snakes have triangular heads, is what I'm getting at.

Yeah if you're in North America (with the possible exception of the Everglades) the worst snake you will encounter will be a rattler and they have what look like nostrils. Except those aren't nostrils they're pits which are lovely little infrared sensors that will train in on anything warm and moving and then fang you up so good you're going to wish you never got fanged.

Maybe google "pit viper" and see what you can see but probably just let it go about its business.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Figured out it's a Rat snake! Thanks! Time to stick my hand in its mouth!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Next time you need a critter ID, try the Critterquest thread over in GBS!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

photomikey posted:

I think bolts and nuts would do it. 2.5" 3/16 or something equally long and skinny. Better than cotter pins, which was my first thought.

Thanks.

Any other haunted house anecdotes?

Check out this forum for ideas and help: http://www.hauntforum.com/

I used them quite a bit for ideas. If you want to do PVC, you can use standard PVC pipes with threaded ends to keep them together and make them removable. The bolt option works well too but just make sure you label everything and take lots of pictures when setting it up.

When does the Halloween thread in GBS go up anyways?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Cakefool posted:

Learn to sleep on your side/front. Alcohol makes your snoring worse, as does being a fat biffer (don't know if you're fat but it's relevant). Strips for your nose do gently caress-all, it's the fleshy bit at the back of your mouth that causes snoring. Lose weight, sleep on your side is pretty much it.

You say this, but I've found my snoring is better when I wear them. Maybe it's because there's more steady airflow heading to the back, and so there's less chance for the flappiness?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's Vallejo, California like?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

photomikey posted:

I am considering building a haunted house in my suburban driveway. Maybe 50' long by 8' or 10' wide. The structure is my biggest roadblock so far, 2x4s seem expensive and time consuming.

I was thinking of using 2" PVC, with the occasional crossmember for support. Then, covering this structure with black plastic sheeting, and going from there.

The structure will not bear much weight, and I'm not really concerned about stability. We have no wind to speak of (and really, no weather to speak of).

When putting this monstrosity together, if I use PVC cement - I will have to chop it up to re-use it next year. If I don't use PVC cement, i'm afraid it'll get jostled, and start falling apart on top of the people who are inside of it.

What can I use to temporarily affix these PVC pipes together?

Other suggestions are welcome, as are anecdotes regarding running one's own haunted house at home.

Couplings like these. Just tighten and loosen as desired.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Is it true that most houses in the US in non-metropolitan areas are made primarily of wood?

e. As opposed to bricks (or bricks/insulation/bricks etc.) with a layer of plaster over them.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Yes thats true, although they don't really use plaster anymore it's mostly drywall.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

But.. Is that all? Just outside - drywall - wooden skeleton (presumably with heat insulation and water protection?) - drywall - inside? How would that carry the weight of an extra floor?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No drywall on the outside. Just sheathing and some sort of vinyl or brick, generally. The wood studs carry the weight of the house. In modern homes at least, the brick is just a facade and doesn't carry any structural loads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Geokinesis posted:

Is there a semi famous quote where a guy asks someone how to kill vampires and the person starts to go on about 'what kind garlic etc', then the first person then says 'it doesn't matter as they aren't real'?

I'm sure I've read it somewhere, but googling just brings up yahoo answers from 2010 on how to become a vampire.

Yes, I've definitely heard or read it, but I can't remember where or who said it. I think maybe it was something about writing fiction and how people complaining about stuff like "those aren't real zombies/vampires/whatever because reasons" aren't worth listening to.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Namarrgon posted:

But.. Is that all? Just outside - drywall - wooden skeleton (presumably with heat insulation and water protection?) - drywall - inside? How would that carry the weight of an extra floor?

The floors and roofs are supported by joists that run the length of the house. Google house framing and look at images or YouTube videos. You've probably seen them and just didn't know what they were.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No drywall on the outside. Just sheathing and some sort of vinyl or brick, generally. The wood studs carry the weight of the house. In modern homes at least, the brick is just a facade and doesn't carry any structural loads.

Depends on the area of the country you are in. In the KC metro, most houses just have bevel siding.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's Vallejo, California like?
It probably varies depending on where, exactly, in Vallejo you are, but it's fairly widely considered the new ghetto of the Bay Area.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

It probably varies depending on where, exactly, in Vallejo you are, but it's fairly widely considered the new ghetto of the Bay Area.

I heard once the Vallejo was pretty much where guys who were released from San Quentin and had no where else to go ended up. Not sure how true it is though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Sieg posted:

The floors and roofs are supported by joists that run the length of the house. Google house framing and look at images or YouTube videos. You've probably seen them and just didn't know what they were.

Well I ask because obviously I'm not American and all houses I've lived in before my current ones have had concrete upper floors. So next questions; are American houses like this generally noisy? I'm used to the fact that you could never tell if there was anyone on the other floors.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Namarrgon posted:

Well I ask because obviously I'm not American and all houses I've lived in before my current ones have had concrete upper floors. So next questions; are American houses like this generally noisy? I'm used to the fact that you could never tell if there was anyone on the other floors.

Depends on the quality of the construction. there's lots of things you can do to limit noise transference. Gypsum concrete, sound deadening subfloor, insulation between floors, and double sheetrock on the ceiling are all ways to mitigate it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

I mostly grew up in a two-story house, and aside from the occasional squeaky floorboard you couldn't really hear much activity above or below unless someone was making a point to be noisy (loud music, party, etc.).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Have a two parter, not sure it it is better served here or somewhere like CC, but here goes.

I have a small wood (oak) table that I'm trying to make a top for. The idea is to glue down some playing cards on the table itself, then cover that with a clear acrylic resin so it's more durable.

First question: The dimensions on the tabletop are 29 x 18.5 If I'm doing my math correctly, assuming I want the acrylic to be a thickness of 1/4 inch, I'm looking at ~134 cubic inches of resin, which I believe translates into just over a quart of liquid. Does my math pan out or am I way off base?

Second: The resin that I've found is a two part system, found in most craft stores. I don't recall the brand but it's sold in 16oz and 32oz tins of resin and a separate bottle of catalyst to cure it. Kind of like this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Environmental...rds=epoxy+resin

My idea for a mold is to take just regular silicone caulk and build a border around the tabletop and up to a 1/4 inch in height, the idea being that the resin should not stick to the silicone, and after curing, the silicone should just peel away from both the resin and the table. Would this work or do I need something sturdier? It needs to be non-porus and not damaging to the table either.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Have a two parter, not sure it it is better served here or somewhere like CC, but here goes.

I have a small wood (oak) table that I'm trying to make a top for. The idea is to glue down some playing cards on the table itself, then cover that with a clear acrylic resin so it's more durable.

First question: The dimensions on the tabletop are 29 x 18.5 If I'm doing my math correctly, assuming I want the acrylic to be a thickness of 1/4 inch, I'm looking at ~134 cubic inches of resin, which I believe translates into just over a quart of liquid. Does my math pan out or am I way off base?

Yep, 134 cu.in. is more like 2.3 quarts (57.75 cu.in./qt.). This is assuming your tabletop is rectangular of course.

CzarChasm posted:

My idea for a mold is to take just regular silicone caulk and build a border around the tabletop and up to a 1/4 inch in height, the idea being that the resin should not stick to the silicone, and after curing, the silicone should just peel away from both the resin and the table. Would this work or do I need something sturdier? It needs to be non-porus and not damaging to the table either.

That would be a lot of caulk and I think it would be difficult to build it up in such a way that it would yield good results. I would try wax paper with heavy cardstock or something similar to give it some rigidity, but that of course assumes that the stuff won't adhere to wax paper.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

This would be lumpy and ugly. Is there a particular reason you don't want to have a permanent border to contain the acrylic? Because without a lot of polishing, you're probably not going to get something that looks cool and transparent (from the side) anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KnifeWrench posted:

This would be lumpy and ugly. Is there a particular reason you don't want to have a permanent border to contain the acrylic? Because without a lot of polishing, you're probably not going to get something that looks cool and transparent (from the side) anyway.

I have no objections to a permanent border, I just can't think of what I could do for one that wouldn't look silly. It has rounded corners and beveled edges making a border kind of a tricky prospect for a guy like me with not a lot of wood working experience. I suppose I could glue some thin wood to the sides, and stain it to match (planning on staining the whole table). I'd probably loose the bevel, but that's hardly the end of the world. My concern would be getting it to go around the corners smoothly, to both keep in the resin and not look like crap.

The other part of this is because I was talking about this with my cousin, and they liked the idea, but they want to do it with old concert tickets. I think that's cool, but I want to make sure that I have this down pat before I waterlog a pile of paper tickets.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I have vague recollections of watching a TV show about a kid who hosted his own late night chat show, in his parents' house, with his family as the crew and all. Anybody know the name?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

LittleBob posted:

I have vague recollections of watching a TV show about a kid who hosted his own late night chat show, in his parents' house, with his family as the crew and all. Anybody know the name?

Sounds like Squirt TV.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CzarChasm posted:

Could you do it as an inset, rather than having it raised? It would be pretty easy to carve out a shallow depression if you could get your hands on a router.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

misguided rage posted:

Could you do it as an inset, rather than having it raised? It would be pretty easy to carve out a shallow depression if you could get your hands on a router.

That would be a lot of routing. I think the easier thing would be to tack some trim around the perimeter that would give it a 1/4" lip all around and use that to contain the resin. You could even use some glue to prevent any from dripping between table and trim, though I think the stuff would probably be thick enough to prevent that anyway.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Namarrgon posted:

The same principles of construction apply. You had girders or something supporting the weight of the concrete. You have to have something to carry the weight of the floor/roof.

I didn't notice that you were non-American. You don't have Google/YouTube in your country? The reason I suggested looking up "house framing" is because it would show images/video of the frame (skeleton) of the house and likely someone like a builder or framer explaining what they were doing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Yeah I tried a few search terms but 'framing' is not one I could've guessed myself.

I suppose from a historical perspective wooden 'frame houses' if you will in the US developed from a frontier-mindset and brick houses developed from Europeans being paranoid the duke next door is going to siege them.

Thanks though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah I tried a few search terms but 'framing' is not one I could've guessed myself.

I suppose from a historical perspective wooden 'frame houses' if you will in the US developed from a frontier-mindset and brick houses developed from Europeans being paranoid the duke next door is going to siege them.

Thanks though.

Eh what? There's tons of wood framed housing in Europe, but since there's a lot of old housing stock around it's not like people were going to replace perfectly fine brick houses with a new wood framed house.

The principles of the design were brought over from Western Europe and Scandinavia in the first place.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Eh what? There's tons of wood framed housing in Europe, but since there's a lot of old housing stock around it's not like people were going to replace perfectly fine brick houses with a new wood framed house.

The principles of the design were brought over from Western Europe and Scandinavia in the first place.

Well yeah it will depend on the location. I've never seen wood framed buildings outside of tiny village novelty museums in my country.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Namarrgon posted:

Well yeah it will depend on the location. I've never seen wood framed buildings outside of tiny village novelty museums in my country.

The explanation that I've heard is that, in the US, we tend to have a lot of earthquakes around places like Las Angeles. If you've got a house made of bricks anywhere near a fault-line, it's just going to crumble. Timber-framed houses can wobble and shift and not fall over. Hollywood being the golden ideal, the general design was exported to the rest of the country.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Gravity Pike posted:

The explanation that I've heard is that, in the US, we tend to have a lot of earthquakes around places like Las Angeles. If you've got a house made of bricks anywhere near a fault-line, it's just going to crumble. Timber-framed houses can wobble and shift and not fall over. Hollywood being the golden ideal, the general design was exported to the rest of the country.

It's probably partly that we just have (or had) a lot of lumber around in some parts of the country so wood construction is cheaper than it is elsewhere.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
Do you think less of people/ think they're not 'proper goons'/ listen to comments less if they're posted by an account with a 'stupid newbie' avatar?

Interested in multiple opinions on this.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

loki k zen posted:

Do you think less of people/ think they're not 'proper goons'/ listen to comments less if they're posted by an account with a 'stupid newbie' avatar?

No. I tend to think of them more as 'poor newbies' if anything.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

loki k zen posted:

I subconsciously lump them all together, I think, and tend cut them a little slack for being naive. I guess there's a slight condescension to that, but it's not too negative.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
Shouldn't sanitary products technically be legally required to go in biohazard bins? Do janitors or similar have to take biohazard precautions when they empty those bins? If so, how come my binman doesn't have to? Cause, those things go in the rubbish, right? (I'm hoping everybody else in the world hasn't been doing something different all along and actually I'm disgusting or something). It would be just my luck. I started my period when I was 9, didn't know what it was and thought I had rear end cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

loki k zen posted:

Shouldn't sanitary products technically be legally required to go in biohazard bins? Do janitors or similar have to take biohazard precautions when they empty those bins? If so, how come my binman doesn't have to? Cause, those things go in the rubbish, right? (I'm hoping everybody else in the world hasn't been doing something different all along and actually I'm disgusting or something). It would be just my luck. I started my period when I was 9, didn't know what it was and thought I had rear end cancer.

Oh my god, have you been using "bachelor bins" your whole life? Your mother should have told you about biohazard disposal BEFORE you were 9. This is what happens when sex ed classes only talk about condoms and AIDS.