Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I meant for the iOS weather app, sorry.
Welp. :v: Hopefully someone out there got some use from it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Nevermind!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Who wants to know when the fog is rolling in?

I DO.

Here's a review of a PERSONA WEATHER APP for iPhone owners.

It's EFF OH DOUBLE ARR FREE.

Just quoting myself on the second page to mak sure no one misses it. I also fear it'll be taken down due to copyright stuff so....

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This will be my first Persona game, so before I start it is there anything that I need to know? I mean in terms if mechanics/what not to do/what not to miss etc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

6EQUJ5 posted:

This will be my first Persona game, so before I start it is there anything that I need to know? I mean in terms if mechanics/what not to do/what not to miss etc.

The game should explain the mechanics pretty well, so just remember to fuse frequently, max Aeon before the end of December, and get Jester to 6 in early November.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

6EQUJ5 posted:

Don't be scared to fuse away personas, as long as you remember to register them you can recall them from the velvet room. New personas are automatically registered, but they won't save xp/skills unless you manually do it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Novolin posted:

Don't be scared to fuse away personas, as long as you remember to register them you can recall them from the velvet room. New personas are automatically registered, but they won't save xp/skills unless you manually do it.

This is the best and only advice needed for a first playthrough. Do NOT be afraid to fuse, it's how you stay ahead of the curve. Don't even get attached to Izanagi, you'll find/fuse something better right quick.

Except when you fuse Black Frost. That dude'll last you at least a dungeon and a half.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is the best and only advice needed for a first playthrough. Do NOT be afraid to fuse, it's how you stay ahead of the curve. Don't even get attached to Izanagi, you'll find/fuse something better right quick.

Except when you fuse Black Frost. That dude'll last you at least a dungeon and a half.

Black Frost is so, so good and a lot of his components are very easy to find. Heck, he can actually even last you the rest of the game. (I would fuse new stuff for NG+ though)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When you do Social Links, have a Persona of the appropriate arcana on you. This is unnecessary for Death, though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm going to meet Troy Baker today. I'll be dressed up as Kanji, so hopefully I can get a couple of pictures, too. :)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Nessa posted:

I'm going to meet Troy Baker today. I'll be dressed up as Kanji, so hopefully I can get a couple of pictures, too. :)

Tell him to get bent.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Black Frost actually lasted me for the rest of the game.
I had to grind him up a fair bit to beat the last few dungeons though, so I would say fusing him away after a point would be ideal.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ADTerminal posted:

Black Frost actually lasted me for the rest of the game.
I had to grind him up a fair bit to beat the last few dungeons though, so I would say fusing him away after a point would be ideal.

Black Frost carried me through my first playthrough, now my main one is my level 99 satan and trumpeter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far my strategy of 'use the Persona with the highest level, only fuse when bored of current pile of unused Personas' has served me brilliantly.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Steve2911 posted:

So far my strategy of 'use the Persona with the highest level, only fuse when bored of current pile of unused Personas' has served me brilliantly.

This is exactly how to play the game. This ain't pokemon, if you're having trouble you probably need to fuse up some new dudes.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Always Be Fusin'.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Unmature posted:

Tell him to get bent.

He told me to get bent first. :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nessa posted:

He told me to get bent first. :(

And that's why he's Kanji and you're not.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you all for the excellent advice. I got round to starting this yesterday evening and I'm up to 05/19. I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right but drat this is a good game. I hadn't quite expected to enjoy it as much as I am.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

And that's why he's Kanji and you're not.

I suppose so. I got a photo with him yesterday and he said my boots were really rad. :allears:

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
So having read through the first 15 or so pages of this thread I've bitten the bullet and ordered a copy of P4G.

I'm dead excited for a new RPG experience but I've only really played FFVII and Pokemon to be honest. How hard am I going to find Persona? Does the game hold your hand at least a little to explain all of the mechanics and such?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

P4 is pretty easy overall especially for an SMT game so as long as you don't go out of your way to ignore core mechanics (that the game explains pretty well for you) you shouldn't have much trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P4G especially just showers you with bonuses.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

AOTKPTW posted:

So having read through the first 15 or so pages of this thread I've bitten the bullet and ordered a copy of P4G.

I'm dead excited for a new RPG experience but I've only really played FFVII and Pokemon to be honest. How hard am I going to find Persona? Does the game hold your hand at least a little to explain all of the mechanics and such?

I've always loved the idea of JRPGs and struggled with playing them (outside of some post VII Final Fantasy games) so I was really on the fence about buying this, despite the brilliant reviews.

Having said that, I started playing it on Sunday evening, then when I finally managed to go to bed it was six hours later, same thing happened yesterday. I've been absolutely loving it so far. Some of it is still pretty opaque to me, but I figure it'll become as clear as I want it to if I started looking things up online and asking questions. That hasn't stopped for enjoying it for one moment though, the game explains the basics to you as you need them very well. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in the genre.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The combat is certainly pretty easy. I think just about anyone will pick it up early on. The only thing that the player might need beaten into them is to not get too attached to individual personas, because you want to be constantly fusing.

Therefore if there is anything to get seemingly overwhelmed by it will probably be time management for the school life segments. All those S. Links, part-time jobs, quests, beef bowls, bike dates, etc. But hopefully most players will be able to rest easy once they get a little ways in and realize it isn't necessary (if not discouraged) to try to max out everything in the first place. Just need to pick the S. Links you like and every now and then work the other stuff into the mix.

Push come to shove, if you're really worried my advice to new players on this front would be to completely skip Moon, Hanged Man, and Death. You can even abandon Strength once your Diligence hits level 3. Finally, bike dates are kind of pointless except for Yukiko's final one and Naoto's first(?) one. There, you now have more time than you'll ever need.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Thanks everyone, that certainly eases my nerves up running around clueless in the game. I'm very inexperienced in the genre as a whole and would very much like to get into it. The overwhelmingly positive reactions to the game all over the Internet have gotten me pretty excited about trying it out!

The cart shout arrive sometime in the next day or two so i'll be sure to post my thoughts and any questions I have in the coming days.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

AOTKPTW posted:

Thanks everyone, that certainly eases my nerves up running around clueless in the game. I'm very inexperienced in the genre as a whole and would very much like to get into it. The overwhelmingly positive reactions to the game all over the Internet have gotten me pretty excited about trying it out!

The cart shout arrive sometime in the next day or two so i'll be sure to post my thoughts and any questions I have in the coming days.

I had only really played Pokemon and stuff before trying Persona 3 Portable. If you can play Pokemon, you can play Persona. Just keep in mind that buffs are really useful and keep fusing new dudes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just wondering though, how strict is it to max out all the Social Links and read all the books in one playthrough? I just started on kadfc's walkthrough of the game and I've missed on a couple days and I think my Knowledge is higher/Courage is lower than where they are at the moment. I just recruited Kanji.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just wondering though, how strict is it to max out all the Social Links and read all the books in one playthrough? I just started on kadfc's walkthrough of the game and I've missed on a couple days and I think my Knowledge is higher/Courage is lower than where they are at the moment. I just recruited Kanji.

You'll have extra days, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I picked up that cheap Persona 3 Portable a few weeks ago and have been playing through that before I take on P4G.

I was really loving it for the first few hours but now I'm getting a little burnt out. Am I supposed to be able to run through all of the available tower floors in one night or is that only possible because I'm playing on Easy?

After the full moon I'm going in and clearing out the entire dungeon in one session until I hit the next barrier, and then I spend a whole lot of time just doing [social event] -> [study before sleep] day after day.

This doesn't feel right, am I doing something wrong? Once in a while my party members tell me we should go to the tower, but I've already cleared it out days ago. Did I break the game by making it too easy?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

AOTKPTW posted:

One thing about the combat. The game doesn't do a good job of telling you, but you can give your party direct commands in combat. I was really struggling with a boss yesterday until I took control and managed things manually.

Stupid Yosuke not healing anyone.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Parker Lewis posted:

I picked up that cheap Persona 3 Portable a few weeks ago and have been playing through that before I take on P4G.

I was really loving it for the first few hours but now I'm getting a little burnt out. Am I supposed to be able to run through all of the available tower floors in one night or is that only possible because I'm playing on Easy?

After the full moon I'm going in and clearing out the entire dungeon in one session until I hit the next barrier, and then I spend a whole lot of time just doing [social event] -> [study before sleep] day after day.

This doesn't feel right, am I doing something wrong? Once in a while my party members tell me we should go to the tower, but I've already cleared it out days ago. Did I break the game by making it too easy?

There's really no reason not to just clear your way to the next barrier in a single night. Though you're gonna want to wait to do it just before the next full moon (about two days prior) instead of right after the previous one because (I'm not sure you reached that point yet) Elizabeth/Theo will call you occasionally and tell you about people who've gone missing and are trapped in Tartarus. You have to rescue them before the next full moon or they'll die.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Wiseblood posted:

There's really no reason not to just clear your way to the next barrier in a single night. Though you're gonna want to wait to do it just before the next full moon (about two days prior) instead of right after the previous one because (I'm not sure you reached that point yet) Elizabeth/Theo will call you occasionally and tell you about people who've gone missing and are trapped in Tartarus. You have to rescue them before the next full moon or they'll die.

OK, I wasn't sure if playing on Normal+ difficulty forced you to take things a few floors at a time, which seems like it would do a better job of mixing up social time vs. dungeon time.

I haven't started getting those types of quests yet but that's good to know, thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Honestly that's just sort of how the scheduling works. You could divide up the tower (or dungeon in P4's case), but you wind up feeling compelled to finish it in one go to open up your schedule for other events. In the original you became Tired if you climbed for too long, but that becomes a non-factor as you gain levels. In P4 you run out of SP eventually so you're limited in that aspect, but again there are ways around it. So in practice it works out to be long periods of school life segments punctuated by occasional dungeon crawling.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Parker Lewis posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if playing on Normal+ difficulty forced you to take things a few floors at a time, which seems like it would do a better job of mixing up social time vs. dungeon time.

I haven't started getting those types of quests yet but that's good to know, thanks.

Playing it on Easy is missing the point! But yes, on your first playthrough, normally you'd do a few visits to Tartarus over the course of the month. Once you know more about the game and what the best tactics are, it's often better/easier to do it all in one go, but I do not think that is the norm for your first time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Junpei :woop:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Since this is basically the Persona series thread, A sequel to Persona 4: Arena was announced today.. They're adding in Junpei and Yukari from Persona 3.

Location testing is running in Japan from Aug 16-Aug 18, which means that they're really far along in development.

gently caress yes. My never buying the original due to the region issues has paid off. Hopefully they don't region lock this.

So, something I'm not clear on - is this a sequel-sequel with a new story set after P4 or even the Golden Epilogue, or is it just 'P4A Turbo' with a slew of gameplay upgrades?

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

gently caress yes. My never buying the original due to the region issues has paid off. Hopefully they don't region lock this.

So, something I'm not clear on - is this a sequel-sequel with a new story set after P4 or even the Golden Epilogue, or is it just 'P4A Turbo' with a slew of gameplay upgrades?

I certainly hope it's a continuation of P4A's story. They left some big unanswered questions at the end of the first game and it wasn't obvious when or where they'd pick up the story again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

P4:A had a storyline that takes place after the Golden Epilogue, even though Kanji is blonde, and this looks like it may look like a sequel to P4:A, or they could just shoehorn in the Junpei/Yukkari storyline into the P4:A story.

• Locked thread