Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Brule
Mar 5, 2009
There are a few unmodified 335i's in NE Indiana for around 17k <80k miles, but if I got one I would consider flashing it, maybe not Dinan, but can anyone recommend a similar flash?
All the comparable 335xi's are 19k and up. Lucky duck.
Except maybe this one:
http://www.byerschevy.com/used/BMW/2008-BMW-3+Series-columbus-f06233e30a0a00e000be1a11a3117f5a.htm

Dr. Brule fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I changed the waterpump on my 135i finally. Four hours later... and it's fixed! If I had realized the thermostat is mounted on it, I would have changed it just to get it out of the way.

The process:
1)Remove undertray and two mounts
2)Remove sway bar mounts
3)Remove powersteering line loop and mount
4)Remove power to the water pump and thermostat electrical connectors
5)Spill coolant everywhere. I'm sure there is a better way, but I just cracked the hoses.
6)Remove coolant hoses on water pump, thermostat.
7)Remove 2 bolts on thermostat to waterpump mount and 3 waterpump to block mounts.
8)Replace and follow bleeding instructions for electric water pump equipped cars. (Fill system, open bleeder on expansion tank until coolant comes out, seal, top off coolant and replace cap. Key in, ignition on (not running), heat on high-fan on low, hold throttle for 10 seconds. Pump will circulate for 12-15 minutes bleeding the system. Top off with coolant and ta-da!)

It took a 8mm/10mm/13mm socket, extensions, wobble, reverse torx, and flat head screwdriver. I wish my lift was up, it would have been a 2 hour job.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dr. Brule posted:

There are a few unmodified 335i's in NE Indiana for around 17k <80k miles, but if I got one I would consider flashing it, maybe not Dinan, but can anyone recommend a similar flash?
All the comparable 335xi's are 19k and up. Lucky duck.
Except maybe this one:
http://www.byerschevy.com/used/BMW/2008-BMW-3+Series-columbus-f06233e30a0a00e000be1a11a3117f5a.htm

This is what I use in my 335: http://www.burgertuning.com/jb4_pnp_BMW_performance_tuner.html

It's not too difficult to install and is very customizable/can be used with methanol injection later should you decide to do that.

If you cannot find anything local, you may want to expand your search. That other car you posted also does not have the sport package, and note that the xis won't have the additional oil cooler until I think the 2009 model year.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oh hey, my cousin has a manual 03 Mini Cooper S in his lot right now (he owns a dealership). What are the opinions on this car? I feel like it could be fun, but not necessarily practical in terms of space. Though on paper screen it seems a skosh on the slow side. I admit, I've never driven one I'm mostly curious because I may be able to get a good deal on it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ZHP Talk

How much would you pay for one with less than 100k miles? I guess I never actually looked hard but there's plenty for sale on Autotrader/Cars.com with about 100k and some much less.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

ZHP Talk

How much would you pay for one with less than 100k miles? I guess I never actually looked hard but there's plenty for sale on Autotrader/Cars.com with about 100k and some much less.

What year? Coupe or sedan?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oh hey, my cousin has a manual 03 Mini Cooper S in his lot right now (he owns a dealership). What are the opinions on this car? I feel like it could be fun, but not necessarily practical in terms of space. Though on paper it seems a skosh on the slow side. I admit, I've never driven one I'm mostly curious because I may be able to get a good deal on it.

I'll throw in my own interest here since my sister-in-law is 99% dead set on a Mini Cooper S convertible, and due to price it will probably be one of the earlier supercharged cars and not the later turbo cars. The convertible is a must, she doesn't like the look of the Fiat 500c, she doesn't really like Mustangs, and she doesn't want another Miata (she wants a back seat, no matter how small).

I guess the alternative would be some form of 3-series ragtop, but I know she's already test-driven the MCS and loves how it drives so similarly to her Miata.

And even though it won't be my car to pay for, I'm sure I'll at least have to dole out advice on it :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

thealphabetsez posted:

What year? Coupe or sedan?

I'd prefer a coupe but I was curious to see what the overall range price range was - I'm guess anywhere from $14-$18k sounds reasonable though I'm thinking $18 seems like a huge stretch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tab8715 posted:

ZHP Talk

I must be the only one here who wouldn't waste the kind of money people want for a low mileage ZHP on a drat non-M.

Especially if you're the type who mods their car - suspension will get replaced, ZHP software is the same minus rev limiter, ZHP cams offer a very small gain - if that - over non ZHP cars once modded (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=819857)... so a huge premium for a 6spd, some bodywork, and alcantara doesn't seem worth it.

Cool note from the above linked thread - Euro S50 headers bolt on to the M54.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 13, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Tab8715 posted:

I'd prefer a coupe but I was curious to see what the overall range price range was - I'm guess anywhere from $14-$18k sounds reasonable though I'm thinking $18 seems like a huge stretch.

14-18k lol. 12k max for 80-100k mile car with no rust, minimal dings/scratches and a full service history. BlackMK4 is correct, 18k is absurd when you can get a GOOD e46 m3 for that price. Only morons online are trying to get that much of a premium (same mindset who list e30s for 8k). Wait for one locally and I guarantee you can find a good example for around 10k.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah the price premiums for ZHPs seems pretty silly to me, especially on 100k+ mile cars. What people are asking for good condition ZHPs is realllllly close to used M3 territory these days. A 330 sport is more common and can be had more cheaply in excellent condtion, and is not really all that huge of a difference at the end of the day.

At that kind of mileage you're probably going to have to do suspension work soon anyway, in which case you can install whatever you want. You can pick up a ZHP knob (which I do recommend you do right away) for under $100. The other ZHP details are nice, but not thousands of dollars nice.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The whole ZHP thing is kinda getting really dumb. There are a few for sale near me as well, and they are asking silly money. I found a clean 03 M3 with less miles for only 500 more than what most owners are asking for their ZHP's.

I really don't understand the car market right now. Things are selling for pretty silly money lately.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Where are all these well priced 330i sports? I haven't seen a single one. Seen lots of ZHP's though.

Well, I'm exaggerating. I've seen a handful of 5 spd 330i sports, but I have yet to see a 6 spd sport package in a sedan. There's a 5 spd in LA right now, asking 7.9k. That is still quite a bit higher than kbb.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crustashio posted:

14-18k lol. 12k max for 80-100k mile car with no rust, minimal dings/scratches and a full service history. BlackMK4 is correct, 18k is absurd when you can get a GOOD e46 m3 for that price. Only morons online are trying to get that much of a premium (same mindset who list e30s for 8k). Wait for one locally and I guarantee you can find a good example for around 10k.

Yup. I paid $10k even for my '04 ZHP with right around 100k on the clock. People have a vastly overinflated notion of what they're worth.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: whatever

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 13, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Just my 2c Dinan stuff is for conservative types who want to mod their cars but are paranoid about warranty coverage. I had some dipshit dealership tell me that they were going to charge labor to investigate the racket until it turned out to be a failed timing chain tensioner because the ECU reported engine overspeed by 200 RPM (the amount they raise the revlimit by.) I still see the service manager once in a while and want to punch him because of that whole episode, but the service advisor I worked with in the past is now also a manager and does a good job of keeping poo poo straight.

That said don't pay over market price, you can tell by the pics that they're looking for some roided up bro to come in there and pick up a fly new whip to pose in. That's one of those cars that gets chucked out the rear door by BMW dealerships when they're traded/lease is up.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The whole ZHP thing is kinda getting really dumb. There are a few for sale near me as well, and they are asking silly money. I found a clean 03 M3 with less miles for only 500 more than what most owners are asking for their ZHP's.

I really don't understand the car market right now. Things are selling for pretty silly money lately.

Exactly. I sold my '04 M3, coupe and manual transmission with right at 100,000 miles for $16k two years ago. It had bixenons, LED tails, sport and winter packages, brushed aluminum trim, all that. People are delusional. I bought it for $19k in 2008 with 65000 miles, with the CPO warranty intact until November 2010 and feel that was an acceptable depreciation.

gently caress paying anywhere near $14,000 for a 330i in any condition.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Das Volk posted:

Just my 2c Dinan stuff is for conservative types who want to mod their cars but are paranoid about warranty coverage.
I think there's a few reasons:
  • The SCCA case - some Dinan mods leave you in stock, but the same part from UUC (for example) will bump you up a class. The Z3 M differential reinforcement kit from Dinan keeps you in stock, last I checked.
  • The resale case - consider the premium on established tuner cars from the 80s like Alpina. Are a few random mods from a bunch of different vendors going to stand up to the same test of time? There already seems to be a bit of a premium on Dinan equipped cars from the 90s, whereas the individually tuned cars seem to be at the bottom of the price spectrum.
But if you're just driving the thing and not expecting to treat it like a show piece, than yeah - it's obviously not worth it.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 13, 2013

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
ugh. my first edit != quote.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

krysmopompas posted:

I think there's a few reasons:
[list]
[*]The SCCA case - some Dinan mods leave you in stock, but the same part from UUC (for example) will bump you up a class. The Z3 M differential reinforcement kit from Dinan keeps you in stock, last I checked.
Where did you hear that? That's not how it works. Dinan is not treated as a stock car - the Dinan mods are classed accordingly and aren't given any special treatment over any other company.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 13, 2013

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I just replaced and bled the coolant in my E36 as it still had the concentration from Texas, where I bought it last year, and it was only good to 10*F. It now has face melting heat AND the temperature controls actually control the temperature. My only concern, from what I've read, is that I didn't bleed the system properly. I drove it for about 30 min after the replacement with the heater on and the gauge never moved past the center. Should I be concerned about trapped air or is everything as it should be? I think I'm just being paranoid re: thread title.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ThirstyBuck posted:

I just replaced and bled the coolant in my E36 as it still had the concentration from Texas, where I bought it last year, and it was only good to 10*F. It now has face melting heat AND the temperature controls actually control the temperature. My only concern, from what I've read, is that I didn't bleed the system properly. I drove it for about 30 min after the replacement with the heater on and the gauge never moved past the center. Should I be concerned about trapped air or is everything as it should be? I think I'm just being paranoid re: thread title.

The gauge isn't supposed to move past center. Especially not when you've got the heater extracting heat from the engine.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Crustashio posted:

The gauge isn't supposed to move past center. Especially not when you've got the heater extracting heat from the engine.

Yes I understand that is what I should expect from the gauge...My concern was that the heat was so incredibly hot afterwards and I thought maybe there was a disconnect between the gauge and what was actually going on inside the cooling system i.e my motor is getting really loving hot. I drove it again it appears that all is well.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/ETOBICOKE/Ontario/19_7353273_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

This seems overpriced. Should I bother going to see it?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Easy no.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

wallaka posted:

Exactly. I sold my '04 M3, coupe and manual transmission with right at 100,000 miles for $16k two years ago. It had bixenons, LED tails, sport and winter packages, brushed aluminum trim, all that. People are delusional. I bought it for $19k in 2008 with 65000 miles, with the CPO warranty intact until November 2010 and feel that was an acceptable depreciation.

drat, where do you live? I know we're talking about inflated ZHP prices being within M3 territory, but both the price you paid and the price you sold it for sound several thousand dollars below average.

I looked at M3s two years ago when I bought my 330ci, and I couldn't touch a good quality E46 M3 for less than 20k. Of course, ZHP people were asking 17-18k, and even a good low miles ZSP was 13-15k.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

BlackMK4 posted:

Where did you hear that?
Steve Dinan :/

It was his response to the question about why the reinforcement kit looked so wimpy. I had my car in at Kelly Moss, and we were trying to figure out diff mount options since they were skeptical of the Randy Forbes solution, and the owners talk with him pretty frequently.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Randy Forbes fix really is the way to go.

A Z3M will never be competitive in stock class autocross, don't bother caring.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

BraveUlysses posted:

Randy Forbes fix really is the way to go.

A Z3M will never be competitive in stock class autocross, don't bother caring.
Autocross wasn't the issue - their concern was that it was just going to transfer the torque to a different part of the frame and cause much more severe damage over time. If that's the case, you're better off letting the diff mount fail since you can actually fix it without too much drama.

Nobody really knows though. Dinan didn't, their motivation was more towards reducing the problem and not being too invasive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sounds like a dumb excuse for a poor product.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll throw in my own interest here since my sister-in-law is 99% dead set on a Mini Cooper S convertible, and due to price it will probably be one of the earlier supercharged cars and not the later turbo cars. The convertible is a must, she doesn't like the look of the Fiat 500c, she doesn't really like Mustangs, and she doesn't want another Miata (she wants a back seat, no matter how small).

I guess the alternative would be some form of 3-series ragtop, but I know she's already test-driven the MCS and loves how it drives so similarly to her Miata.

And even though it won't be my car to pay for, I'm sure I'll at least have to dole out advice on it :v:

I'd highly, highly recommend test driving one of the new turbo cars before settling for one of the supercharged (02-06) Cooper S cars. They feel just so much faster. There was also a refresh in 2005 or so that introduced a new three-spoke wheel and amusing "whizz-pop" exhaust notes with the revised ECU tuning for sport mode. In general, if you're going for the first gen Mini, don't pay the premium for the supercharger, go for a nicely optioned base model if possible.

In my opinion, the '07 and up Cooper S cars are absolutely worth the premium.

E: May want to steer her towards a VW Eos, too, if you can find one kicking around.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BraveUlysses posted:

Sounds like a dumb excuse for a poor product.

I hate to say this because I have friends who work at Dinan but some of their products really aren't any good. The suspension they sell for the E92 M3 is great, but the exhaust, reflash and intake are useless. I've kept the intake over the past few years and the plastic elbow broke where the element is attached. Even their uber-expensive stroker motor makes disappointing numbers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just got back from test driving a '10 Cooper S. That is a pretty fun car! The turbo lag isn't as obvious as in my WRX. Fun and very tossable in turns, much to the nervousness of the sales rep who rode along. Didn't really really get to drive it though, I was just surface street spirited driving.

So what's the reputation in terms of maintenance. The other car I was looking at was the E46 330i because I hear it's easy to maintain yourself. How about these Minis? How is the price of parts compared to the baseline of, say, a Honda Accord or similar? How easy is it to do basic preventative maintenance on these? I think the '10 is out of my price range though considering I am looking at E46's. Do the turboed coopers ever dip into that range? ($10k-ish)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want to plasti dip my sharkfin blue now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Stardotstar posted:

I'd highly, highly recommend test driving one of the new turbo cars before settling for one of the supercharged (02-06) Cooper S cars. They feel just so much faster. There was also a refresh in 2005 or so that introduced a new three-spoke wheel and amusing "whizz-pop" exhaust notes with the revised ECU tuning for sport mode. In general, if you're going for the first gen Mini, don't pay the premium for the supercharger, go for a nicely optioned base model if possible.

In my opinion, the '07 and up Cooper S cars are absolutely worth the premium.

E: May want to steer her towards a VW Eos, too, if you can find one kicking around.

Now I'm curious - I had an S back when they first hit the shores, it had a 19% SC reduction pulley, larger intercooler, Alta intake, UUC catback, JCW tune, etc. Loved that car. Time to test drive a turbo one.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Guinness posted:

drat, where do you live? I know we're talking about inflated ZHP prices being within M3 territory, but both the price you paid and the price you sold it for sound several thousand dollars below average.

I looked at M3s two years ago when I bought my 330ci, and I couldn't touch a good quality E46 M3 for less than 20k. Of course, ZHP people were asking 17-18k, and even a good low miles ZSP was 13-15k.

Yea his numbers don't make much sense. I bought my ZHP in 2010, and four year old M3s at the time were closer to 30k, not $19k. Of course a four year old M3 now is closer to $40k, which is pretty crazy. They're no longer reasonably cheap young guy cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ynotony posted:

They're no longer reasonably cheap young guy cars.

They were never really intended on being a cheap car to begin with. BMW M products will always hold better value over the long term vs their standard counterparts.

I do have a question though-

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3983049251.html

I am going to have the guy send me the vin, he is at work right now. I have a feeling it was hail damage (but I will find out more with a vin check), would that be a bad choice? It looks like it has been cared for (or at least this guy has fixed all the PO issues)

It looks pretty clean and he has been steadily coming down in price. I hope 3500 floated his way might land me a title in my hand.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just got back from test driving a '10 Cooper S. That is a pretty fun car! The turbo lag isn't as obvious as in my WRX. Fun and very tossable in turns, much to the nervousness of the sales rep who rode along. Didn't really really get to drive it though, I was just surface street spirited driving.

So what's the reputation in terms of maintenance. The other car I was looking at was the E46 330i because I hear it's easy to maintain yourself. How about these Minis? How is the price of parts compared to the baseline of, say, a Honda Accord or similar? How easy is it to do basic preventative maintenance on these? I think the '10 is out of my price range though considering I am looking at E46's. Do the turboed coopers ever dip into that range? ($10k-ish)

Mini is BMW, so you are going to pay more than you would to fix a Honda. It's also going to be more of a pain to work on because of how crammed stuff is. As a former Mini owner (supercharged S) I'd rather have an E46.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just don't see the point of a Mini. It's a BMW underneath, but doesn't have the BMW name. They keep getting uglier and uglier every year. It's like Germany is playing a joke on Great Britain by making their car dumber and dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

GrAviTy84 posted:

So what's the reputation in terms of maintenance. The other car I was looking at was the E46 330i because I hear it's easy to maintain yourself. How about these Minis? How is the price of parts compared to the baseline of, say, a Honda Accord or similar? How easy is it to do basic preventative maintenance on these?
Audball and I drove a 2010 Clubman S on Saturday. Fell in love.
We're wrestling with whether or not we want a $400 car payment for the next 5 years. (I've owned the M3 for 5 years, and haven't had payments on it in 3 years)
The '97 M3 is paid off, but needs about 2 grand in maintenance debt handled (Cooling system is new throughout - it needs suspension, of course) to bring it back to 100%.
She's got an '07 Yaris S - which she got because she was driving for work ALL THE TIME. Now she's working from home, and puts maybe 100 miles/mo on it. She's not upside down on value currently. She owes about $6300, and they're averaging $9300 used (autotrader).

We found this Clubman S in Santa Fe. We tested a blue one here, but that combination of black on white is just the sort of thing that would make me do a double-take walking away from it in the parking lot - like in the old Nissan commercials, and like I do even today with the M3. drat it's a nice lookin' car!
But buying it would mean ponying up about 2 grand in tax, title, and license fees (on a credit card) once we got it back here to Colorado. Which would effectively mean a *$600* car payment for the first 12 months while we paid the card back down to a zero balance.
I also have a 2000 DRZ-400 that I haven't even ridden this year that I could probably shuffle out of here for about $3000-3500, since I've got a TON of extra parts for it, including 2 sets of plastics/stock tanks, a 5 gallon Clarke tank, and a complete 440 bigbore kit.

You all are in different situations than we are, of course, so only some advice will be completely applicable, but I'm curious to know what options you all might consider in the same circumstance.