Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

slightpirate posted:

As I recently started over from the beginning of the show, its a HUGE leap from where Cecil is today. He really is pretty monotonous and flat in the early episodes, but he brings the character to life, and it doesn't take him long to really get the inflections and pacing refined. Keep listening! It's really good and it keeps getting better!

Hooray! Maybe my expectations were just "Episodes of 'This American Life' but in R'yleh" levels of casual-narration :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Astrofig posted:

I saw a rather interesting piece of art the other day that had Cecil with white eyes behind sunglasses, and a white-handled cane in easy reach. Because apparently his name means 'blind'.

I know its been said his appearance is moot, and I agree, but this is really getting under my skin for some reason.

I'd buy him being blind (yet somehow able to perceive 'sight') more that him having a third eye. I also don't really understand the "third-eye" argument, as any breaking news is delivered via reports from citizens or unfortunate interns; any extra insight that he might have I have attributed to Night Vale being a small town and Cecil being very active in the community (thus knowing all the little minutiae).

The less "incredible" the character of Cecil is, the better. He is our window into Night Vale, and more we can identify with him, the more personal (and horrific) the story becomes. Giving him superpowers or non-human traits fucks up that relationship, I think.

Not that I should really care; as has already been pointed out the fan-fiction community sucks and has no bearing on actual story. Its presence still annoys me, however.

SgtScruffy posted:

Does the announcer get a bit more loose and free-sounding?
I would say that by the end of episode 2 or 3, Cecil sounds more comfortable, but the style of his delivery stays the same (though much less monotone as the series goes on).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Isn't the argument about Cecil being blind easily negated by how he rambles on about Carlos' physical appearance?

Also, I LOVE the faceless old woman episode. So much so, that I'm thinking of renaming my freeform americana music project "The Melting Point of Birds."

Would there be any objection to this?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 12, 2013

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

AstroZamboni posted:

With the huge audience this is getting, I really hope this turns the current generation on to the joys of radio theater.

As Douglas Adams said: "Radio is superior to TV because the pictures are better."

This is my hope too. I've been suggesting to Night Vale fans that they should also check out 19 Nocturne Boulevard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Back in R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl of Yours Truly...."

- A Non-Euclidean Home Companion

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

FalseParadigm posted:

The less "incredible" the character of Cecil is, the better. He is our window into Night Vale, and more we can identify with him, the more personal (and horrific) the story becomes. Giving him superpowers or non-human traits fucks up that relationship, I think.

Point and counter-point from--surprise!--the Tumblr fanfiction community:

quote:

Here’s the flip side, at least to me: that role of the Unphased Every(wo)man, while important, is filled by the listener. I don’t need Cecil to be the human in the story because I’m the human in the story (emphasised by the way the narrative directly uses the second person, either collective or singular). Sometimes backed up by Carlos, when the need arises.

That’s the other thing: Carlos’ narrative arc is explicitly about the outsider who comes to Night Vale full of excitement and curiosity (the town meeting), flips his poo poo at the horror (the clocks, the Man in the Tan Jacket), then comes to accept the strangeness of the town (his speech in episode 25). He’s still prepared to protect the town’s citizens from things that might actually harm them, but he’s also come to accept “something I don’t understand” isn’t synonymous with “kill it with fire” (q.v. the date, where he seems totally fine with the dinner experience, less so with the black buzzing).

I fall in the middle on the debate, in that I really don't care, but a man who acts as a window into Night Vale is still a part of Night Vale, with all the weirdness that entails. I mean, I don't particularly identify with him when he's cheerfully reporting the day's deaths, and that's theoretically just the act of a human person warped by the town; why wouldn't I be able to identify with a twelve-limbed omniscient beast cooing over cat videos? Especially on a radio show, it's his behavior more than his appearance that matters.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tjadeth posted:

why wouldn't I be able to identify with a twelve-limbed omniscient beast cooing over cat videos?

Intern Dana forwarded the videos to Station Management? I enjoy this image.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Tjadeth posted:

I don't particularly identify with him when he's cheerfully reporting the day's deaths, and that's theoretically just the act of a human person warped by the town; why wouldn't I be able to identify with a twelve-limbed omniscient beast cooing over cat videos? Especially on a radio show, it's his behavior more than his appearance that matters.
I agree. However, it is his perceived humanity that makes him reading the day's events that much more horrific. A man who cheerfully brings you the news of death because its so commonplace that it doesn't matter anymore is FAR scarier than a twelve-limbed omniscient beast doing the same thing. His cooing over cat vids (to me) is funnier for the same reason.

You are right, it is ultimately about behavior. Which is precisely why I envision every denizen of Night Vale human (or at least human-like) unless otherwise described. I don't know the personal affections or typical behaviors of the common twelve-limbed omniscient beast, so unless we get better descriptions, Cecil is a bipedal humanoid with human characteristics.

Archenteron posted:

Intern Dana forwarded the videos to Station Management? I enjoy this image.
You have a point. They sound more like twelve-limbed omniscient beasts.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER

FalseParadigm posted:

Supervising journalists and liberal arts majors and floating cats and interns and all those undesirable types of human beings? You clearly don't know much about the personal affections or typical behaviors of the common twelve-limbed omniscient beast. :colbert:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Just a little update.
Spoke with the OP regarding an entirely non-profit, 100% for fun endeavor and as a result will be testing my audio interface at 10 watts in between 3 and 4 MHZ for 30 minutes starting at 8pm CST this evening. Any signal reports would be greatly appreciated. I'm not expecting much at 10 watts, but I really don't want to melt the finals in my rig.

I'll be testing two antennas in 15 minute intervals. One vertical from 8 to 815 and a horizontal that's aimed east/west from 815 to 830.

Thanks.

Edit: Been trying to figure out what to test with, be on the lookout for Feynman's lectures on physics.

Edit2: live, just below 80m band.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 13, 2013

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

poo poo, I'd listen in for you, but I don't have my shortwave handy at the moment. If you run another test later tonight (say around midnight CDT), I can try and pick you up.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Astrofig posted:

I saw a rather interesting piece of art the other day that had Cecil with white eyes behind sunglasses, and a white-handled cane in easy reach. Because apparently his name means 'blind'.

Holy poo poo. Everyone in town thinks Carlos looks like hotness in specs, but Cecil thinks he looks even better than THAT (i.e. Perfect and Beautiful (TM)) because his mental image of him isn't held back by such dross as light and geometry. Imagine being Carlos, thinking that Cecil is simply blinded by your looks like everyone else, and then discovering that he's never seen you and never will.

AstroZamboni posted:

As Douglas Adams said: "Radio is superior to TV because the pictures are better."

I am now in love with this theory. For Cecil, life IS a radio show.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 3, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Give me a day or two, I had a weird SWR issue about 20 minutes in. Checking antenna and connections tomorrow.

Thanks guys!!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

iostream.h posted:

Give me a day or two, I had a weird SWR issue about 20 minutes in. Checking antenna and connections tomorrow.

Thanks guys!!

Did you hear any unusual staticky noises? The hooded figures may not be pleased.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Tonight I seem to be overly preoccupied by my hatred for Telly the Barber.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

BiggerJ posted:

Did you hear any unusual staticky noises? The hooded figures may not be pleased.

I will admit to maybe playing up the ambiance in my little radio cave a bit.

It helped the mood that its pretty stormy, too.

Thanks very much to the OP for allowing this, I think I know what went wrong and I hope I can get guys working for you guys, it was fun!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

Tonight I seem to be overly preoccupied by my hatred for Telly the Barber.

GOD drat IT TELLY THE BARBER, YOU MONSTER

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

FalseParadigm posted:

I just immediately pictured Station Management as a Shoggoth because apparently I have no imagination.

Also, I drew adorable Khoshekh and some of his cute little kittens!

Edit: Sorry, excuse the gently caress out of me.

Here:

How can we possibly know what is considered normal for a cat in Night Vale? His cute little meow is a devil roar, for gently caress sake.

Edit 2: Listened to the episodes a few more times. They never loving say that Khoshekh is perfectly normal. Just happy and healthy, despite being trapped in a hovering position. Maybe you don't like my drawing but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 16, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They stress that he is a normal cat with no retarded deformities

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Geirskogul posted:

They stress that he is a normal cat with no retarded deformities

Says CECIL, our super-reliable narrator.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

dj_clawson posted:

Says CECIL, our super-reliable narrator.

When is Cecil not reliable? There is, functionally, no story beyond what he says, so assuming that he's lying is silly.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

When is Cecil not reliable? There is, functionally, no story beyond what he says, so assuming that he's lying is silly.

I actually don't want to get into a huge argument here for the sake of it - I like to imagine the cat as a normal cat too - but Cecil doesn't know what the moon is, doesn't know how long trees live, had his mind temporarily taken over by the Glow Cloud, and isn't sure if he spent a decade in Europe or not.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The only time Cecil has not been reliable is when people send him bad reports, like the Sheriff's secret police sending in the wrong casualty list after pterodactyl-gate or the Sheriff's secret police calling plastic bags :airquote:'feral dogs':airquote:. Cecil can do no wrong, but the Sheriff's secret police can certa-

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

I actually don't want to get into a huge argument here for the sake of it - I like to imagine the cat as a normal cat too - but Cecil doesn't know what the moon is, doesn't know how long trees live, had his mind temporarily taken over by the Glow Cloud, and isn't sure if he spent a decade in Europe or not.

OR the not knowing about the moon thing is like that thing no one acknowledges. They know it's there, bad things just happen if they seem to know about the moon then it existing.

I could honestly see Night Vale having a cult that kills anyone who knows of the moon beyond the simplest terms.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 13, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dj_clawson posted:

The world is flat all the way around too.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER

Len posted:

The world is flat all the way around too.

Now, let's not be too hard on Cecil. He did keep an open mind to the ramblings of the mountain apologists.

I tend to alternate between normal cat and--well. drat thing sounds like a garbage disposal, but my cat makes weird clicking noises when he sees birds, so who am I to say?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hey Maxmona what USB mic do you use? Because I'm looking to pick one up for a podcast I have to do.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

iostream.h posted:

Thanks guys!!

I'm not wired into all the HAM/shortwave pirate lingo, but if this happens do me solid and upload it to Youtube so I can hear it with the proper aura I've been missing with digital downloads. :reject:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm up to episode 18 now and I love this podcast, the Twitter feed and the Facebook updates. I'm glad it got so successful - the tone is perfect.
I'd like to suggest an artist for the weather - The Handsome Family. Their twisted Americana songs really remind me of Night Vale.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not wired into all the HAM/shortwave pirate lingo, but if this happens do me solid and upload it to Youtube so I can hear it with the proper aura I've been missing with digital downloads. :reject:

There are online SWL stations incidentally, if I do it it'll just sound normal, I'm sure someone here can square you away tho.

I'm going to try and get my best antenna another 60' up into the air by this weekend. I'll test again immediately after!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

John Darnielle is a chill guy. You should ask him about letting you use one of his songs for the weather, like Birth of Serpents.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We're going on a six hour road trip tomorrow and I was told to burn all of Night Vale to cd for the trip. Here goes hoping I can addict everyone I know.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Len posted:

We're going on a six hour road trip tomorrow and I was told to burn all of Night Vale to cd for the trip. Here goes hoping I can addict everyone I know.
That's a weird coincidence, I'm going on a long road trip tomorrow too, and planned to re-listen to some episodes on the way.
If you're driving be careful because Cecil's smooth, smooth voice can make you pretty drowsy.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Len posted:

I like that this show has its fans plotting about how they can entrap people to indoctrinate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tjadeth posted:

but my cat makes weird clicking noises when he sees birds, so who am I to say?

That's them preparing to set their jaw in a way that makes it easier to clamp down hard on prey. Don't worry - your cat is just thinking murderous thoughts.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

The Sheriff's Secret Police is actually a group of particularly enthusiastic WTNV fans. :ssh:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/americas-most-popular-podcast-what-the-internet-did-to-welcome-to-night-vale

An interesting article about the fandom. I hope it doesn't end up like Homestuck's crazy fans.

Between this, Zach Parsons and Slenderman it looks like SA does better horror than comedy.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Do you know what an unreliable narrator is? It's not "person who is definitely proven to be unreliable by someone else," it's just "person you have reason to suspect might not be reliable," which I think Cecil qualifies as, especially since he frequently forgets to mention things and also lives in some sort of hell-desert where nothing is as it seems

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think the idea of a "reliable narrator" is really possible in a universe like Night Vale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/americas-most-popular-podcast-what-the-internet-did-to-welcome-to-night-vale

An interesting article about the fandom. I hope it doesn't end up like Homestuck's crazy fans.

Between this, Zach Parsons and Slenderman it looks like SA does better horror than comedy.

Oh man, I'd wish I had gotten into this fandom earlier.