Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is there a link to this Worm serial that everyone is talking about? I need something to peruse in my downtime at the end of my shift tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

-Fish- posted:

Is there a link to this Worm serial that everyone is talking about? I need something to peruse in my downtime at the end of my shift tonight.

Here is a link to the first chapter.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/category/stories-arcs-1-10/arc-1-gestation/1-01/

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fellwenner posted:

Or is the death of the thinker-entity how Cauldron initially saved the world?

I don't know about this, but I'm pretty sure Glaistig Uaine got either the main body of the dead worm, or at least the part that's supposed to reunite all the shards for the big finale, and she's going to be critical to whatever resolution occurs. I'm guessing that Panacea will heal the dead shards and turn Glaistig Uaine into a new counterpart for Scion or something similar.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't know about this, but I'm pretty sure Glaistig Uaine got either the main body of the dead worm, or at least the part that's supposed to reunite all the shards for the big finale, and she's going to be critical to whatever resolution occurs. I'm guessing that Panacea will heal the dead shards and turn Glaistig Uaine into a new counterpart for Scion or something similar.

As soon as Scion mentioned that Weaver had the Queen / Administrator shard I knew Glaistig was something special. I wonder what her 100,000 dancing lights end up doing.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So Contessa has a shard that comes not from Scion, nor from his counterpart. And it's a living shard too. There is a third entity present. Endbringer source, maybe. Maybe the Endbringers are made on the fourth floor of that Cauldron facility though (the one only the Doctor Mother can enter)? To be weapons against Scion? Doesn't feel right though, considering the Simurgh hosed over a Cauldron facility during the attack on Madison.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

So Contessa has a shard that comes not from Scion, nor from his counterpart. And it's a living shard too. There is a third entity present. Endbringer source, maybe. Maybe the Endbringers are made on the fourth floor of that Cauldron facility though (the one only the Doctor Mother can enter)? To be weapons against Scion? Doesn't feel right though, considering the Simurgh hosed over a Cauldron facility during the attack on Madison.
I'm guessing that the third entity has something to do with cauldron and it deliberately sabotaged the thinker-entity. It's also possible that the counterpart got lost and ended up on Earth-aleph, they are supposed to have native parahumans, just much less than Earth-bet.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Just finished Codex Born. I really think that the books need to be about 20% longer, and that extra space used entirely for smoothing out scenes and characters. There's far, far too many scenes that happen in just a paragraph or two that need to be given time to breathe. I'm usually not a fan of lengthening a novel, but Libriomancer and Codex Born have too low of tasty content at the right moments. A little bit more care given to the characters, a bit more thought on pacing and scene setting, another dimension to a character or two, and they'd be go from "decent" to "good".

Content specific - I was not a fan of the swap between villains so abruptly. August wasn't too terrible as far as things go, but to entirely switch him out for the nymph off page was annoying. I don't mind that the nymph was the main villain (well, Army of Ghosts really, but they're more the behind the scenes ones), given Lena's arc, but it was just an abrupt change without a satisfying closure.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

B) how long it takes to ship?

The answer, if anyone still cares, is three weeks, which seems kind of ridiculous for air mail. However, the book arrived in pristine condition.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My wife and I listen to Dresden audiobooks on roadtrips. We're on Grave Peril right now, and are a chapter or two into The Party What Defines Everything To Come. It's glorious.

Butcher really seemed to enjoy describing breasts, though. Never really noticed it until I heard Marsters describing very single curve and erect nipple.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JohnnyCanuck posted:

My wife and I listen to Dresden audiobooks on roadtrips. We're on Grave Peril right now, and are a chapter or two into The Party What Defines Everything To Come. It's glorious.

Butcher really seemed to enjoy describing breasts, though. Never really noticed it until I heard Marsters describing very single curve and erect nipple.

Wait until you get to that scene. Everyone in here who's read the books knows the one I'm talking about (Book 5).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Wait until you get to that scene. Everyone in here who's read the books knows the one I'm talking about (Book 5).

You're talking like an anime/manga here, dude. Relative pronouns are not a substitute for proper nouns.

Also, I have no idea what that scene is.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Grundulum posted:

You're talking like an anime/manga here, dude. Relative pronouns are not a substitute for proper nouns.

You will soon! :unsmigghh:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Death Mask. The awkward half-Vampire bondage sex.

I was rereading Turn Coat today when I noticed something. I know how :spergin: this is going to sound, but why does Butcher use "to boot" in every third conversation? I think one guy says it twice on one page. I'd like to think he did it just to drive James Marsters crazy or something, because otherwise I have no idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I forget which book it was in (definitely one of the more recent ones), but there's a point where Butcher has Harry describe himself as "hell on wheels" twice on the same page and it bugged the gently caress out of me.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Inspector 34 posted:

Ok, here's a question I've been meaning to ask since I've been binging through The Dresden Files on audiobook: Why did Kincaid get a british accent for one book, all of the sudden? Did James Marsters just gently caress up and forget who he was?

I've been binging through The Dresden Files on audio book for a while now, I much prefer running to a story than to random music, and that was something that took me out of my workout one day.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Ghost Story at the moment and this new narrator is OK. I don't hate him, but he's not James Marsters and goddammit if the very syntax and pronunciation of every single sentence just seems...off. Obviously he hasn't spent as much time with the character but the very cadence of his speaking pattern just seems wrong. I'm afraid that the same will happen when I listen to Cold Days, since that one is voiced by Marsters again.

I don't have anything concrete here mind you, but I believe Kincaid has the accent in the first book he shows up, and the accent change is in all the others. My guess is, that no one told Marsters until after the recording that Kincaid was NOT supposed to have an accent.

I too prefer the Audiobooks to the actual books, mostly because I'd rather listen to a book on a long trip or even a short trip then music typically. Also, it's way more convenient. Having the books takes up space and they're cumbersome to carry about, not to mention I have terrible eyes and reading only makes them worse, I get headaches after the first 2-3 hours.

As for Ghost Story, I like Glover, but his interpretation of the various characters just didn't fit for me, was a relief that Marsters was back for Cold days.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
As I said previously, an unforeseen consequence of becoming a ghost is that your voice changes to sound like Lionel Luthor. Yes, it was a surprise to everyone, but it's not like we had any other before and after cases to compare this to.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So new part of Worm up.

Guess we're going to get another meeting of the Legion of Doom, on the eve of the end of the world. Wonder if Saint is going to show up to explain what happened with Dragon and why. Also, maybe we'll figure out what's going on with Cauldron now. Obviously something can still salvage the situation or else there'd not be much point in a meeting being held, yeah?

Still, glad to see Tattletale alive. She's always been a favorite of mine. Also, may have some really important info along with the Birdcage folks. She seems to have Scion figured out, Marquis/Teacher seem to have the Endbringers figured out.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SerSpook posted:

So new part of Worm up.

I think Wildbow really did a good job of hitting the "emotionally numb" note she was trying for. I haven't been through anything like what the characters are going through (obviously :v:), but I can really easily get into their heads based on her writing.

What did you mean, SerSpook, when you said that Marquis/Teacher have the Endbringers figured out? I thought we already knew what the deal with the Endbringers was from the previous chapter: they're there to ensure the maximum amount of shard-powered conflict and so the maximum amount of growth of the entities' shards.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Grundulum posted:

I think Wildbow really did a good job of hitting the "emotionally numb" note she was trying for. I haven't been through anything like what the characters are going through (obviously :v:), but I can really easily get into their heads based on her writing.

What did you mean, SerSpook, when you said that Marquis/Teacher have the Endbringers figured out? I thought we already knew what the deal with the Endbringers was from the previous chapter: they're there to ensure the maximum amount of shard-powered conflict and so the maximum amount of growth of the entities' shards.

I don't think so, but I might be mistaken. Scion doesn't mention them one way or the other, and every reference made to putting shards on Earth involves humans. Endbringers were never human. Conflict was maximized by targeting disturbed individuals and tailoring each shard to be usable in combat.

I might have forgotten something though. But the Simurgh scrambled Amelia's message to Dragon, and Saint has only recently found the corrupted data. Coincidentally, the chance of the world ending decreased at that, while initial casualties grew higher.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Worrying about emptying out the Birdcage to help seems rather inconsequential now.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 13, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Might I suggest taking the Worm talk to the Web Serials thread instead of here?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Potooweet posted:

Death Mask. The awkward half-Vampire bondage sex.

I was rereading Turn Coat today when I noticed something. I know how :spergin: this is going to sound, but why does Butcher use "to boot" in every third conversation? I think one guy says it twice on one page. I'd like to think he did it just to drive James Marsters crazy or something, because otherwise I have no idea.

"Hells Bells"

:negative: It made me want to slap Jim Butcher around the face after hearing that too many times

On another note, my work is sending me to another site next week and putting me up in a B&B so I bought the PC Grant books (Rivers of London etc) on this threads recommendation. Looking forward to them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I did the same about 2 months ago. I'm caught up with the exception of Broken Homes and must say I haven't enjoyed it that much. Too many smug remarks and Britishisms for my taste.

Their slight differences really do make the English an infuriating people.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I did the same about 2 months ago. I'm caught up with the exception of Broken Homes and must say I haven't enjoyed it that much. Too many smug remarks and Britishisms for my taste.

On the plus side, the narrator of the audiobooks is great for when you're having trouble falling asleep.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Good job I'm English then! :britain:

Just started and the book starts out about 100 yards from where I used to work. I used to get lunch in New Row all the time. I even know the 24 hour cafe on St Martins Court he mentions. Very interesting to read about.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Dravs posted:

Good job I'm English then! :britain:

Just started and the book starts out about 100 yards from where I used to work. I used to get lunch in New Row all the time. I even know the 24 hour cafe on St Martins Court he mentions. Very interesting to read about.

If you read the blog, there are sometimes maps--here is the entry for Moon over Soho

Not being a Londoner, I spent a lot of time checking out all the locations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dravs posted:

"Hells Bells"

:negative: It made me want to slap Jim Butcher around the face after hearing that too many times

On another note, my work is sending me to another site next week and putting me up in a B&B so I bought the PC Grant books (Rivers of London etc) on this threads recommendation. Looking forward to them.

I'm fairly certain one of the last three books is going to be named 'Hells Bells', so...

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Tunicate posted:

I'm fairly certain one of the last three books is going to be named 'Hells Bells', so...

Actually, Hells Belles is going to be a spin-off short story trilogy about Molly, Murphy, and Mab going on wacky adventures.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Actually, Hells Belles is going to be a spin-off short story trilogy about Molly, Murphy, and Mab going on wacky adventures.

Substitute Lacuna (for the lack of Toot in this spin-off) or Elaine for Mab and you may have something.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Tunicate posted:

Yup. According to multiple interviews the "big apocalyptic trilogy" that ends the series will be "Hells Bells", "Stars and Stones", and "Empty Night".

It's one of the few things that Jim has confirmed that far out. He also has confirmed Harry survives in interviews before.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Wade Wilson posted:

Substitute Lacuna (for the lack of Toot in this spin-off) or Elaine for Mab and you may have something.

I was mostly just going for the alliteration :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Question about Worm; I'm around seven chapters in and liking it so far, but please tell me at least a few of the characters get a reality check at some point. I'm okay sympathizing with people who've had a hard life and turned to gangs for friendship or protection, but if they make it through the entire story without realizing how screwed up some of the poo poo they're doing is I will be a tad miffed.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Even though Im on the third book I am down for this..

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Skippy McPants posted:

Question about Worm; I'm around seven chapters in and liking it so far, but please tell me at least a few of the characters get a reality check at some point. I'm okay sympathizing with people who've had a hard life and turned to gangs for friendship or protection, but if they make it through the entire story without realizing how screwed up some of the poo poo they're doing is I will be a tad miffed.

Oh yeah it happens, some of them just don't seem to care that much.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Most characters do realize that, you can see it in the interludes.

why oh WHY posted:

Oh yeah it happens, some of them just don't seem to care that much.

Cell 22.1 posted:

“You assume I care about that,” the Director said.

“You will.”
Still one of my favorite scenes.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Algid posted:

Still one of my favorite scenes.

That was a great scene. I really wish we had a few more interactions with the director outside of the interludes, I mean they were great it just wasn't enough.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

That was a great scene. I really wish we had a few more interactions with the director outside of the interludes, I mean they were great it just wasn't enough.
That's the third director, I think he's the only one of the 4 that hasn't had an interlude unless I'm remembering things wrong.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Algid posted:

That's the third director, I think he's the only one of the 4 that hasn't had an interlude unless I'm remembering things wrong.

I feel like it would have been cool to get his point of view on Skitter, even though we already know what he thought of her it would have been interesting.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 14, 2013

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The main complaint I have about Worm is that he sets up a bunch of cool stuff for Act II with skitter joining the Wards and having to manage her image and learn to be a hero then he jumps ahead like 2 years without actually discussing it. Which would have been interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Does anyone have a link to the post with a theory about the vampires' "empty night" curse?
I can't find but I remember reading it and things clicking together in my head. :)

• Locked thread