Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

DeepDickPizza posted:

I know most people are probably tired of this story as we ran it into the ground last time, but holy crap look at that website. She has a gamer girls store with really lazy gamer girl merch, including this beauty.

Yes, nothing says "innocent send my 9 year old daughter to computer camp project" like setting up a site hocking loving beer koozies. God, that women is awful.

I will never fail to be astounded at the number of people that will probably pre-order the game in an unironic effort to support women in gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I will never fail to be astounded at the number of people that will probably pre-order the game in an unironic effort to support women in gaming

I'm gonna make a shocking prediction and say the girl isn't going to even make a game, the mother is going to pay some neighborhood future goon to make it and pocket all the money to buy more virgin blood.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OrganizedInsanity posted:

This, only the people who pledge to Kickstarters not because they like the project but in the name of supporting crowdsourcing in general. It was a total :psyduck: for me to read the VGHS season 2 KS thread and see pages of people going "I didn't actually like VGHS season 1, but I'm giving you money anyways because I support crowdasourcing :)"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

JDM3 posted:

Browsing through the "games" offerings and noticed a fairly substantial number of RPG type non-digital games. (Like D&D).

Is there really a market for those? How many games can one group of nerds play?

Quite a few, actually. Kickstarter has opened up a lot of doors since pretty much everyone who has ever played D&D has an idea that they can write the next big thing as far as TG style games go. Like most things, you get more good than bad, but some real gems have come out of Kickstarter. You can find out more if you swing by Something Awful's most happening subforum, Traditional Games, located just south of the very popular Games forum!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So are you a furry who loves to yiff have you ever wanted to "indulge your naughty side" and "grow your own tail?" Well, thanks to this fantastic Kickstarter that is full of whimsy and not at all a fetish item, you can!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

So are you a furry who loves to yiff have you ever wanted to "indulge your naughty side" and "grow your own tail?" Well, thanks to this fantastic Kickstarter that is full of whimsy and not at all a fetish item, you can!

Good god that looks bulky. It's not the first one, either. Shota Ishiwatari, the guy who made those mind-controlled Necomimi cat ears, made moving tail that responded to your heart rate called the Tailly. He recently set up a IndieGoGo fundraiser to help mass-produce them but failed to reach his goal of $50K. At least he was honorable enough to not select Flexible Funding.

But, yeah, the Tailly, even in it's prototype stage, the motors were remarkably slimmer than this contraption. Granted, you had to wear it as a belt, but actual rotor mechanism wasn't a soda can trying to fit into the crack of your rear end.

Edit: whoa, hold the phone. Steel cable? I just saw the video of that greyworld tail wagging around. At the speed, it'll be like a goddamn whip.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 13, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
instawinks

At first I thought it was some sort of printer that would communicate with your phone somehow and print out various photos with 90s hologram technology, but apparently it's just some service that mails you them for an exorbitant price.

pay for my vacation and i'll also paint some sears buildings

Nnep has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Aug 13, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is there a reason Kickstarter displays the number of Facebook friends starters have? It seems kinda creepy; I don't wanna feel like a internet stalker.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TheJoker138 posted:

Doesn't "£25 reduction off any tail purchase in the future" count as a coupon/voucher? Which aren't permitted?

Also, given how long they claim to have spent getting the movement juuuust right, it's surprising (it's not) how much most of the movements look like someone having a seizure. Also their fur swatches are utter shite

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If Brandon Bird wants to paint Sears stores and ask for $8 grand for it, let him. He deserves it. :colbert:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nnep posted:

instawinks

At first I thought it was some sort of printer that would communicate with your phone somehow and print out various photos with 90s hologram technology, but apparently it's just some service that mails you them for an exorbitant price.

pay for my vacation and i'll also paint some sears buildings

This got me thinking about a couple other successfully funded instagram-polaroid-related projects from last year. Let's check in on them!

Impossible Instant Lab is a polaroid camera that uses actual polaroid film and takes a picture of your phone's screen so you can print out your fake polaroids on actual polaroid film. It's just about to start shipping to backers and should be at retail next month.

The Instacube didn't fare so well. It's a digital photo frame that connects to instagram and displays pictures. They apparently blew the $600,000 and are now seeking out investors to raise another $600,000 to complete the first production run. Keep in mind they only had a $250,000 goal. Oh, and they're willing to issue refunds after the first run is produced and shipped.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Young Freud posted:

If Brandon Bird wants to paint Sears stores and ask for $8 grand for it, let him. He deserves it. :colbert:

Yeah, this isn't awful, it's loving awesome.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Manifest posted:

Yeah, this isn't awful, it's loving awesome.

Love that the video apes The Tree of Life.
Definitely not an awful kickstarter..had he been a nobody without a long standing internet presence, yes.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

DeepDickPizza posted:

I know most people are probably tired of this story as we ran it into the ground last time, but holy crap look at that website. She has a gamer girls store with really lazy gamer girl merch, including this beauty.

Yes, nothing says "innocent send my 9 year old daughter to computer camp project" like setting up a site hocking loving beer koozies. God, that women is awful.

Even better, that picture is clearly just text superimposed on a stock photo. I'm taking a wild guess that she's getting them on-demand from cafepress and that image is from their ordering page.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
Not sure how all the other Recently Launched watchers in the thread missed BROTHERS by DARK ELF DAVID WILLARDSON

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

cool biRd pics posted:

Not sure how all the other Recently Launched watchers in the thread missed BROTHERS by DARK ELF DAVID WILLARDSON

The revolutionary author of New York City MECH SQUAD

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DoctorTristan posted:

Even better, that picture is clearly just text superimposed on a stock photo. I'm taking a wild guess that she's getting them on-demand from cafepress and that image is from their ordering page.

They're not Cafepress stock photos, they've got even lower market. The can and bottle coozies they're selling for $7 and $8 match the ones on this site which is selling them for $1 and $1.50 (although those are bulk wholesale costs, they seem to be printing them individually on demand).

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Give me $1500 to share my English 101-tier poetry with you!

Some of my favorite highlights include the randomly bolded words, "love" poem, and "Risks: WHAT IF PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT MY AMAZING POEMS :qq:"

Edit: Hey, kids! Is your obsession with an internet creepy-story entirely too digital? Do you wish you could take that Slenderman obsession into the real world? Fret no more! With the Zero Hour card game, you can have your own internet urban legend game PLUS a Slenderman doll to cuddle while you cry yourself to sleep.

While I kind of like the idea of a survival-horror card game, it's super loving annoying that they just plastered Slenderman on it for basically no other reason than "well, it sells."

Just Burgs has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Aug 14, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cool biRd pics posted:

The pledge rewards are amazing. For $1,150 you'll get "Orc King Krougarash's helmet splattered with elf blood" which is in reality a $60 Conan the Barbarian helmet with a little red paint spattered on it. For $375 you'll get "Elf blood stained Trajina's orc bone dagger replica" which is a $36 LARP dagger.

The pledge rewards are his old cosplay gear and some godawful figurines he made out of sculpey.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

What the hell? Did they send this image through a dozen rounds of JPEG compression before deciding to upload it? :psyduck:

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The pledge rewards are amazing. For $1,150 you'll get "Orc King Krougarash's helmet splattered with elf blood" which is in reality a $60 Conan the Barbarian helmet with a little red paint spattered on it. For $375 you'll get "Elf blood stained Trajina's orc bone dagger replica" which is a $36 LARP dagger.

The pledge rewards are his old cosplay gear and some godawful figurines he made out of sculpey.

The helmet even looks like it has been painted red in the actual Paint program.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

I swear the 'dragon scales' are just plain old fishing lures, too, probably completely unaltered.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OmniDesol posted:

Give me $1500 to share my English 101-tier poetry with you!

Some of my favorite highlights include the randomly bolded words, "love" poem, and "Risks: WHAT IF PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT MY AMAZING POEMS :qq:"

The :smug: in this single image reaches new heights.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Halibut Barn posted:

I swear the 'dragon scales' are just plain old fishing lures, too, probably completely unaltered.

Oh poo poo I think you're right. I bet you don't even get the baby dragon dollar store sculpture shown holding them up, he's selling his old fishing lures for $80 and $90.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

What the hell? Did they send this image through a dozen rounds of JPEG compression before deciding to upload it? :psyduck:

I see no problems with this art :colbert:

Edit: Wow, actually, comparing these two images with the one that has text, I think these are actually better somehow (in terms of pure image quality). Does he do some kinda weird format switches to write the dialogue in?

PrinceRandom has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Aug 14, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
DARK ELF WILLARDSON seems to have a common theme of giving away his yard sale poo poo nobody would buy if you look at his past horribly failed kickstarters

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2024703833/halloween-at-christmas-town?ref=users

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, you know those peg solitaire games that you can get for around $5? Ever want one in the shape of Virginia or West Virginia? Then have I got the Kickstarter for you!

The guy wants $17,000 to make these games and is selling them for $20 each. Why does he want so much money? Because he wants to buy a $13,500 laser engraving machine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nnep posted:

DARK ELF WILLARDSON seems to have a common theme of giving away his yard sale poo poo nobody would buy if you look at his past horribly failed kickstarters

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2024703833/halloween-at-christmas-town?ref=users

quote:

The main challenge that I may face would be 100,000 requests for each figurine.

"I may be too successful" is rarely a risk factor for Kickstarters. In this case it isn't at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nnep posted:

Oh my god he's the "Elegant Surprise" guy.

His current KS rewards are loving masterpieces in comparison to that stuff:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

monster on a stick posted:

"I may be too successful" is rarely a risk factor for Kickstarters. In this case it isn't at all.

Seriously the risks and challenges is such a shitshow. I wish KS would be more like an English teacher sometimes and go "no, write it again and send it back to me once you've actually got something worth reading"

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Oh my god he's the "Elegant Surprise" guy.

His current KS rewards are loving masterpieces in comparison to that stuff:

Oh my god, I remember "Elegant Surprise"! It's seriously the funniest Kickstarter video.

At least he got a better microphone this time.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Elissia posted:

Oh hey I forgot all about the Megatokyo Kickstarter let's see how it's doing!

$299,184 of $20,000. People gave this guy over a quarter million dollars for this shlock that he can't even update on a regular schedule.

The number dictionary plugin makes this one especially galling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

joedevola posted:

The number dictionary plugin makes this one especially galling.

Alright I'm gonna go ahead and represent the Devil pro bono. Say what you will about the quality of the project, I don't think it's fair to say this money could go towards better things like this or that, one could say the entirety of KS funds could "feed Africa". Doesn't work that way unfortunately

I rest my case. However I reserve the right to hypocritically attack another KS project using the exact same double standard in the future. Because Goddamnit, how much more food does Harry Knowles need? There are kids starving in

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

PrinceRandom posted:

I see no problems with this art :colbert:

Edit: Wow, actually, comparing these two images with the one that has text, I think these are actually better somehow (in terms of pure image quality). Does he do some kinda weird format switches to write the dialogue in?

I can see what he's doing here.

I don't know the name of it, but there's a (I presume) free piece of 3d model editing software out there that gets used to make really crappy comics and bad XBLive Indie games. But since everyone has seen that crap before, he puts the finished image through photoshop smudge filters to try to give it the illusion of being created with talent.

It just makes it look like hot garbage instead of regular garbage, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halibut Barn posted:

That's exactly what they are.

Now, who touched the poop?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2024703833/brothers-0/comments

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

DoctorTristan posted:

She's also just copying words from a zazzle shirt from march 2011
http://www.zazzle.com/i_drink_like_a_girl_try_to_keep_up_beer_tees-235215954529798955

oh and a mug from Jan 2012
http://www.zazzle.com/i_drink_like_a_girl_try_to_keep_up_mugs-168892404204166888

It's probably even older then that

Shuffle has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Aug 14, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there a reason Kickstarter displays the number of Facebook friends starters have? It seems kinda creepy; I don't wanna feel like a internet stalker.

I never really got why people just link their project to their personal facebook instead of creating one for their company/group/etc. I'd rather see a page with some images of mockups n' such that was just created than seeing how pissed off they were that so-n-so broke up with them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

That's exactly what they are.

Now, who touched the poop?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2024703833/brothers-0/comments

It wasn't me, even though they're pretty much quoting me.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

I can see what he's doing here.

I don't know the name of it, but there's a (I presume) free piece of 3d model editing software out there that gets used to make really crappy comics and bad XBLive Indie games. But since everyone has seen that crap before, he puts the finished image through photoshop smudge filters to try to give it the illusion of being created with talent.

It just makes it look like hot garbage instead of regular garbage, though.

It's poser. He's doing everything in poser and then smudging the hell out of it to turn it into 'art'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
At first I believed this Kickstarter for a company that makes adult-sized tricycles to be some sort of commentary on people who refuse to grow up. But no, he really does want you to buy his upsized novelty tricycle toys. Apparently he got the idea during a superhero-themed birthday party his wife threw him. :psyduck: