Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Plug his sword into the top of jet mode, pointing backwards, to cover the hole almost completely.

Nah, I think it's just a detail that either bothers you or doesn't. I don't mind it because of the sword, like you mention, and also the cannon filling that space. Blitzwing is understandably a hate it or love it mold and I can't blame anyone for feeling strongly about it.

The only thing I simply don't understand is the turret. They have a rotation swivel that exists solely for the tank turret to rotate, but it does so at an incredibly silly angle. I think the mold overall could have been made more solid if they just hadn't bothered with that particular detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DoctorWhat posted:

Plug his sword into the top of jet mode, pointing backwards, to cover the hole almost completely.

I am well aware of their hilariously ineffective method of pretending the jet mode isn't a disaster. All they needed to do was put some panels on the legs that could flip out and peg together to actually give the jet some kind of fuselage. Covering it up with a sword is not an actual solution.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

A lovely Mospeada jet that has a giant hole in it. I think I would be less irritated with Blitzwing if he didn't turn into something that should have been vastly more awesome than it is.

Keldroc posted:

I am well aware of their hilariously ineffective method of pretending the jet mode isn't a disaster. All they needed to do was put some panels on the legs that could flip out and peg together to actually give the jet some kind of fuselage. Covering it up with a sword is not an actual solution.

Please source your TFW2005 quotes.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

No Your Other Left posted:

Please source your TFW2005 quotes.

He's not wrong

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't really hate Blitzwing and I don't have strong feelings towards him, but he suffers mostly for being designed as "a big voyager". If they gave up the stupid head, shaved him down heightwise a couple percent (or really just narrowed down the nose cone a little) and shifted that plastic into finishing his vehicle modes he'd be so much better. His colors are good and his sculpt are good though, so he looks fine from a couple angles.

He's no Springer, but he's a decent attempt hurt by the desire to make him too big or rather as big as he should be given modern constraints.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't really hate Blitzwing and I don't have strong feelings towards him, but he suffers mostly for being designed as "a big voyager". If they gave up the stupid head, shaved him down heightwise a couple percent (or really just narrowed down the nose cone a little) and shifted that plastic into finishing his vehicle modes he'd be so much better. His colors are good and his sculpt are good though, so he looks fine from a couple angles.

He's a decent figure, especially given the constraints Hasbro was working within. It didn't help he came out alongside Springer. I'm not saying Hasbro couldn't have made better decisions in his production (less size, gimmicks) but he's not a miserable failure either. I'll take him any day over Tankor.

I'd still be interested to see what a third party could do building off of Hasbro's design.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Asia exclusive Metroplex arrived today and the box is massive, this is a ridiculous product.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Pug-petting must pay really well.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's nice work if you can get it! Because I'm a stupid idiot I fell for the stupid idiot trick of shiny paint and an extra gun and decided that the biggest Transformer ever made was a fitting end for the last of what was originally my TFCon fund.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got me Metro after playing Marco Polo with the UPS man. This has been a very expensive month.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

catch22 posted:

He's not wrong

He's wrong that it's objectively bad or something. Different transformation engineering cheats but different people. Some people hate "fake" chests/wheels/etc., whereas I can't imagine having a problem with G2 Laser Prime. Most TFs cheat like crazy in some way or another.

Back onto this specific topic, I think the RTS Jazz mold is fundamentally worse than Blitzwing because at least there's a couple proven fixes for the way Blitzwing punishes you for moving his arms. I have watched so many videos and read so many reviews trying to find the trick to getting Jazz or Wheelie's chest to stay in place and nnnnope. Not even an elaborate mod or 3P kit to safe that otherwise perfect mold.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I can't quite figure out where the hell to put a lot of the stickers in city mode for Metroplex. That and his legs really don't want to stay pegged in are my main complaints. Other than that he's so glorious.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They go on the insides of the walls. Hopefully you get it done quicker than me: 3.5 hours of stickering.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

He's wrong that it's objectively bad or something. Different transformation engineering cheats but different people. Some people hate "fake" chests/wheels/etc., whereas I can't imagine having a problem with G2 Laser Prime. Most TFs cheat like crazy in some way or another.

Blitzwing doesn't have engineering cheats. His head is too big, the paint scrapes off it, his shoulders don't lock and he has a giant canyon running through the middle of his jet mode. All of these are facts. They didn't even try to cheat it, that's half the problem.

quote:

Back onto this specific topic, I think the RTS Jazz mold is fundamentally worse than Blitzwing because at least there's a couple proven fixes for the way Blitzwing punishes you for moving his arms. I have watched so many videos and read so many reviews trying to find the trick to getting Jazz or Wheelie's chest to stay in place and nnnnope. Not even an elaborate mod or 3P kit to safe that otherwise perfect mold.

Both my Jazz molds have no problem with their chests moving around. It seems to be a per-toy thing. Whereas everyone who owns Blitzwing has a giant gaping hole in their jet mode. I could overlook a lot of the other flaws of the mold if it weren't for that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

That's kind of my point though, and "cheat" was probably the wrong word to use. One man's "jet mode hole" is another man's "exposed fists in jet mode" is another man's "ugly panel lines" is another man's "exposed hollow limbs". Yet it'd be nuts to call Classics Jetfire, Universe Onslaught, or Classics Mirage bad transformers.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

BLITZWING HAS A HOLE IN IT CHRIST

You're like a broken loving record dude. You don't need to come in screaming to the high heavens every time you hear the "someone talking about Generations Blitzwing" dogwhistle, we've heard it. :jerkbag:

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Does anyone have any of those alternate-combination schemes for the Kre-O combiners if you managed to get the 5th member? I wanna beef up my Predaking.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

his shoulders don't lock and he has a giant canyon running through the middle of his jet mode.

Two tiny squares of plastic can fix that, and that "giant canyon" has a turret barrel smack dab in the middle of it and can be hidden by one of the accessories that come free with the figure. But I guess a solution that also works as a weapon is somehow inferior to unfolding panels that would use up parts in the budget and be entirely useless for anything else.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Sandstorm, Orion Pax, Trailbreakercutter, Bomber Megatron and Bumblebee in the mail yesterday. I feel like a bit of a turd, because so far I've had the first three open and I'm just not feeling them much. Maybe I got a mostly spectacular Springer - one loose-ish foot, but everything pegs perfectly - or maybe my Sandstorm's off. He just doesn't feel like he hangs together as well, his chest certainly doesn't, and his fans really get in the way of his arms in bot mode. I'm surprised Sandstorm was apparently designed first, because he definitely doesn't seem like the more concise use of the mold.

Orion Pax has knees that don't seem to straighten out well, and the entire front of his truck mode is open air with panels wrapped around it. He ever gets remolded, I'm voting the rename to be Crumplezone. And Trailbreaker's a good representation of a fairly neglected character, it just feels kind of basic and his truck mode is wee. I'm hoping I like Bombatron a bit more, because I can't see Bumblebee being the spotlight of this bunch.

e: Bitch bitch bitch bitch biiiiitch bitch bitch. Who are you phy? You're the bitchy bitch man.

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 14, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

I'm surprised Sandstorm was apparently designed first, because he definitely doesn't seem like the more concise use of the mold.
I don't know, I find what Roche said not very direct and the Sandstorm he drew is way further than LSOTW Springer is from his toy. Seriously, look at this and say "yeah they just slapped this toy out of it"

It's not even a silhouette thing, he has little details on his legs that match up.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

3 posted:

You're like a broken loving record dude. You don't need to come in screaming to the high heavens every time you hear the "someone talking about Generations Blitzwing" dogwhistle, we've heard it. :jerkbag:

:qqsay:

Truly, the horrors you endure at my hands are vast and innumerable.

Two tiny squares of plastic can fix that, and that "giant canyon" has a turret barrel smack dab in the middle of it and can be hidden by one of the accessories that come free with the figure. But I guess a solution that also works as a weapon is somehow inferior to unfolding panels that would use up parts in the budget and be entirely useless for anything else.

If it were a solution at all, maybe, but it's actually just a sword stuck on his back that doesn't really solve anything. At the very least they could have designed the sword to actually fit in the gap, maybe between the legs, making it part of the actual fuselage. There's a lot more that could have been done to improve Blitzwing. The mold as it is just sort of feels like they threw up their hands and decided "close enough." Which it apparently is for a lot of people, so I guess they were right not to bother.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 13, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Megatron is definitely the most interesting of the lot, and I agree completely with the people saying he ought to have been a voyager.

Bumblebee lives in the trash can now.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Keldroc posted:

The mold as it is just sort of feels like they threw up their hands and decided "close enough." Which it apparently is for a lot of people, so I guess they were right not to bother.

We get it, you think being a stickler about toys makes you better than us.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Officially lost soundwave's pointer finger :(

Metroplex is amazing though. City mode rocks. We have JRX parked in the legs getting train fuel, and duplo cars are parking in the chest garage.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

We get it, you think being a stickler about toys makes you better than us.

1. Get a loving grip.

2. If having serious problems with a toy that will, with 100% absolute certainty, come out of the box in need of a user-performed fix or add-on to function properly qualifies as "being a stickler," then okay, I guess I'll have to accept that scarlet letter.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh come on, guys.

Vaporware posted:

I am fantastically paranoid about my Soundwave. I'm constantly checking his left hand since the fingertip is a bit loose on mine. It's not that it's floppy, it appears it's somehow too thick which makes it pop out if not handled with care. I'd like to maybe sand it down or something but I don't wanna make it worse on accident.

So I'm just extra extra careful with that finger. Other than that the figure is pretty much perfect.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Toys are serious loving business dudes! I disagree with your opinion regarding toy robots, LET'S FIGHT YOU FUCKER.

So yeah on that note I got this guy:
https://vine.co/v/hM5pAVXaAvE

Also I think I'm done getting Transformers for a while, because after TFCon, Charticon, Soundwave, Metroplex, and a bunch of dudes I found at Wal-Mart I have gone beyond hog wild. On the plus side, I don't think there's any left for me to get!

Also, nice meeting the DK at Charticon, I wish I could have hung out some more after the dealer room closed, but by 10pm Saturday I was loving dead and passed the gently caress out in my room.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm just seeing a static image (and there's no robits on it), is it supposed to animate?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It worked for me, Vine's just lovely a lot of the time.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
So who is it?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Peter Bazooka posted:

So who is it?

Garrettron64 post a picture!

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
It's probably Black Zarack or maybe Blue Bacchus perhaps even Liokaiser or Generations Blitzwing with giant hole. Any of those.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vaporware posted:

3 close calls so far :(

Gun-Megatron is staying in that hand from now on as far as I'm concerned

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

1. Get a loving grip.

2. If having serious problems with a toy that will, with 100% absolute certainty, come out of the box in need of a user-performed fix or add-on to function properly qualifies as "being a stickler," then okay, I guess I'll have to accept that scarlet letter.

You're right that it's a subpar toy, and for a lot of reasons. The paint on the head coming off, the way the nosecone wont really stay in place in plane mode, the way the paint doesn't match the plastic, and the overall cheapness of the plastic compared to even 5 years ago. So focusing on the hole in plane mode (which I didn't even understand at first because I always keep the cannon over it) is burying the lead.

And you can't really be hurt when someone accuses you of coming off as arrogant, right? I mean you're a smart guy, you have to know that's your tone.

edit: and I have two RTS Jazzes and a Wheelie and all of them have the chest issue. I believe you that yours works but man I hope I get to at least hold one that works right someday, just to know in my heart that it really is the mold and not me being terrible at transformers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GD_American posted:

3 close calls so far :(

Gun-Megatron is staying in that hand from now on as far as I'm concerned

Welp, never opening mine now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Masterpiece Soundwave arrived in a box big enough to hold Metroplex's box in it. What.

The box itself is pretty snazzy. Low-quality cardboard, but has a nice design on it, and there's even stuff underneath the sleeve.

Soundwave himself looks like and is a little bigger than an average Soul of Chogokin figure. He loving owns and I am so glad I got one after missing out on reissue Soundwave. The cassettes too, so good. I actually didn't know he came with an Energon Cube, that's a really nice bonus!

Keldroc posted:

Truly, the horrors you endure at my hands are vast and innumerable.
Nah, there's only five pages worth. :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I forgot to cancel my Amazon pre-order. MISB Metroplex sits there mocking me. He's going back in the mail (although I might take a poke on Craigslist first)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah my Soundwave's left finger likes to pop out if I pull a bit too hard, as well. Only complaint I have about him. Okay, that, and I wish the Megatron gun would peg into his hand like his regular gun.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

strangehamster posted:

Garrettron64 post a picture!

I can't do that exact one as I'm at work, but it's Generations Metroplex holding up Cybertron Metroplex set to the Lion King music.

Size comparison!

I also got this guy:

Look at his chest on the packaging and see what's on it. I have him up on my wall. (The Colonel rules)

Also, while Generations Scourge is a good toy, I never quite understood why everybody was so in love with him. Not bad, but he never blew me away. Well, I got his repaint and I'm officially in love now:

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm sure a dozen Shapeways projects for replacement Soundwave hands/fingers are already underway. It's a lame-rear end design oversight to be sure. I'm just keeping paranoid for now.