Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bondster
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo, that would be the greatest Halloween costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Roflfox posted:

I have no idea why this makes me laugh so hard but it does.

While we're posting crossovers:

No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Killing All The Titans and Levi!

It actually just says "No Matter How I Look at It, It’s Those Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular with Eren!"

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Oh I wasn't translating the text, I just want Mikasa to kill everyone. :black101:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know why, but the Titan that ate Mina's face pisses me off to no end. Like so many other Titans' faces just freak me out or are weird, that is the only one I legit hate looking at for actual anger reasons and not repulsion. Anyways, I caught up to this series and it's the first time in a while I've been really invested in an anime/manga series. I'm interested where they're gonna end this, but I've loved the whole experience of the anime. I read through some of the earlier posts and saw people constantly complaining about animation and pacing, but I felt that aside from a few episodes the pacing was fine and I can stand the stills, but I do understand everyone's problems with them. All in all I think the point where I stopped caring about that though was... Episode 13 when Eren is carrying the boulder and "Call your name" is playing in the background and the rest of that scene is just absolutely loving amazing. Easily my favorite point of the series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

All in all I think the point where I stopped caring about that though was... Episode 13 when Eren is carrying the boulder and "Call your name" is playing in the background and the rest of that scene is just absolutely loving amazing. Easily my favorite point of the series.

Man, he was so badass carrying that boulder that when he took a step the bricks turned purple for him.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

All in all I think the point where I stopped caring about that though was... Episode 13 when Eren is carrying the boulder and "Call your name" is playing in the background and the rest of that scene is just absolutely loving amazing. Easily my favorite point of the series.

Episode 13 is honestly one of my favorites, and I seriously cannot understand why it was so reviled at the time. A metric ton of stuff happened in it, and like you said, that scene of Titan Eren carrying that boulder while the music was swelling is definitely one of the best moments of the show.

One of these days, I'm going to have to do a marathon, because I've forgotten a lot of great moments, in particular the beginning of the Battle of Trost. That feeling of everything going to hell at the worst possible time, and desperate counterattack that ended up turning the tide of humanity's fortunes at such a perilous time made it an incredible series of episodes. The second half of the battle was slower than the first, but the conclusion of the battle more than made up for it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Sylphid posted:

Episode 13 is honestly one of my favorites, and I seriously cannot understand why it was so reviled at the time. A metric ton of stuff happened in it, and like you said, that scene of Titan Eren carrying that boulder while the music was swelling is definitely one of the best moments of the show.
Jean's escape had a bunch of bizarre edits that were clearly covers for unfinished animation, plus purple bricks.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Elotana posted:

Jean's escape had a bunch of bizarre edits that were clearly covers for unfinished animation, plus purple bricks.

Hm, guess I wasn't paying enough attention to let that bother me, and I always felt the purple bricks were intentional. Not sure what they were going for, but they didn't strike me as a mistake.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Elotana posted:

Don't forget the framerate fuckery in the "leaves blowing dramatically in the wind" bits.

e: Let me just say that episode 13 was terrible because it was the culmination of the studio's breakdown. But I absolutely cannot wait to see what the finished version of that episode looks like because what they did finish was fantastic.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 13, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The stills in this series aren't as bad as the constant flashbacks, sometimes to stuff that happened in the same episode.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I finally had a chance to watch the last two episodes and man has the animation team made a comeback. These last two episodes were fantastic. It's also nice to see things speeding back up. And having read the manga, I know (not really a spoiler, but just in case) we shouldn't have any more of those terrible speechy episodes so the pacing should maintain this entertaining speed. So if you stuck with it this far, you're in for a ride.

I was also just thinking what you all were thinking a few pages back - it's amazing how well female characters are portrayed in this. And no fanservice.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
I'm so glad there's no fan service in this show. Just imagine random panty shots while chased/eaten/crushed by by titans, wouldn't really fit in... These last two episodes have been my favorites so far, if the show picks up the pace from here I'm going to be so drat happy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Znorelag posted:

I'm so glad there's no fan service in this show. Just imagine random panty shots while chased/eaten/crushed by by titans, wouldn't really fit in... These last two episodes have been my favorites so far, if the show picks up the pace from here I'm going to be so drat happy.

The complete lack of animu bullshit in this show is letting it reach audiences that most shows won't. Four guys at my office have started watching the show, and these are folks who haven't watched an anime since high school. There's no senpai-chan-uguu-pantsu bullshit, it's just a straight martial horror show that happens to be animated. Nary a comical teardrop to be found!

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009

Squidster posted:

The complete lack of animu bullshit in this show is letting it reach audiences that most shows won't. Four guys at my office have started watching the show, and these are folks who haven't watched an anime since high school. There's no senpai-chan-uguu-pantsu bullshit, it's just a straight martial horror show that happens to be animated. Nary a comical teardrop to be found!

Yeah, I got a friend that aboslutely hates anime and refuses to watch anything animated to watch this series. Just had to make him watch episode one.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Ive been keeping up with this show for a bit now and im also reading along with the english released mangas as they come out. I finally got my g/f to sit down and marathon through episodes 1-18 with me ( she hates subtitles ) and she is enjoying it as much as i am. Seriously this anime has passed hellsing and possibly even berserk as my all time favorites.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Plants vs Titans from here.

\/\/\/\/\/
You saw nothing.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 13, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Squidster posted:

Titans vs Zombies, from here.

You mean Plants vs Titans?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

\/\/\/\/\/
You saw nothing.

I wonder who that is using air gear in the background.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Magnificent.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Hey I have a request. I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'm pretty picky about them. The only three series that I've really liked were Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and AoT. I prefer something that has a finite ending and doesn't drag on seemingly forever. Does anyone have any recommendations for anime that have a similar feel and quality to the three I mentioned?

Also, I hate that they changed the title theme to Attack on Titan. I don't like the new one. Were they written specifically for this show?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

MustelaFuro posted:

Hey I have a request. I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'm pretty picky about them. The only three series that I've really liked were Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and AoT. I prefer something that has a finite ending and doesn't drag on seemingly forever. Does anyone have any recommendations for anime that have a similar feel and quality to the three I mentioned?

Also, I hate that they changed the title theme to Attack on Titan. I don't like the new one. Were they written specifically for this show?

I really like Hellsing and Berserk. Hellsing is only like 13 episodes, and Berserk has like 25ish.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

ViggyNash posted:

I wonder who that is using air gear in the background.

Crazy Dave. :allears:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

jhorphear posted:

I really like Hellsing and Berserk. Hellsing is only like 13 episodes, and Berserk has like 25ish.
Hellsing's style-to-substance ratio is a little low compared to AoT. Expect 20 minutes of atmosphere and 2 minutes of vampire brawling. The atmosphere is cool though.

I've heard Ultimate (10 hourlong episodes) is better since it follows the manga but I've not seen it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MustelaFuro posted:

You should probably ask this in the Recommendation thread.

If you want action coupled with a good story, I'd suggest things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and, if you don't mind a bit of batshit insanity, Gurren Lagaan. What you're asking for is pretty vague, so I'll just link this. Take a look around and see what tickles your fancy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Legend of the loving galactic heroes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: wrong thread~

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 13, 2013

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

You should probably ask this in the Recommendation thread.

If you want action coupled with a good story, I'd suggest things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and, if you don't mind a bit of batshit insanity, Gurren Lagaan. What you're asking for is pretty vague, so I'll just link this. Take a look around and see what tickles your fancy.

Okay, I'll go and ask there and give a quick look at the suggestions here. Thanks. Does anyone know whether or not the theme songs are written for the show?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MustelaFuro posted:

Okay, I'll go and ask there and give a quick look at the suggestions here. Thanks. Does anyone know whether or not the theme songs are written for the show?

Guren No Yumiya, the first theme, was at the very least not released to the public in full until long after it had been used in AOT, so it was probably made for it. Also, the full version sucks.

The second OP really isn't that bad. I've grown to like it and with how solid the intro itself is, the music accompanying it works flawlessly. It's no Guren No Yumiya, but that's an incredibly high bar, GNY is easily one of the best five anime OPs of the last decade.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

MustelaFuro posted:

Also, I hate that they changed the title theme to Attack on Titan. I don't like the new one.

No. No, the theme is wonderful. You're making the mistake of looking at it out of context. Upbeat music with the Recons in the background? This can only mean one thing :unsmigghh:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

MustelaFuro posted:

It's a bit more generic shounen than FMA (and nothing like Bebop or Titan) but has a finite ending and is really good, watch Busou Renkin.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Guren No Yumiya, the first theme, was at the very least not released to the public in full until long after it had been used in AOT, so it was probably made for it. Also, the full version sucks.

The second OP really isn't that bad. I've grown to like it and with how solid the intro itself is, the music accompanying it works flawlessly. It's no Guren No Yumiya, but that's an incredibly high bar, GNY is easily one of the best five anime OPs of the last decade.

For me, GNY worked so well because of the visuals that accompanied the song, which worked really well to back up the visuals. It's probably not a song that works as well if you just listen to it outside of the show.

The second OP is a song I can listen to just about anymore. Said before that GNY might be the more memorable song, but the second OP has a very bombastic, dramatic feeling that the show really likes to emphasize about itself. Once again, the lyrics do a really good job of selling the song, and I'd bet it was also written for the show.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Honestly, my favorite from that scene was the shoulder check into a tree. It was hard to tell at high speed, but it was loving brutal in the manga.

They did a great job of making the female titan be terrifying as hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Broken Knees Club posted:

No. No, the theme is wonderful. You're making the mistake of looking at it out of context. Upbeat music with the Recons in the background? This can only mean one thing :unsmigghh:

I think the new OP's okay, but I'm not sure if anything could top the original. GnY was just a great song for an opening, and the animation was a perfect match - from the shout-chorus of the opening, then the slow build as the titans advance in, then the main chorus while everyone's doing the crazy flips and 3D gear antics and poo poo. It realyl encapsulates everything awesome about the show aside from the heart-rending despair.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
GnY was a better OP, but JnT is a better song, especially if we're comparing the full versions where GnY really dropped the ball.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MustelaFuro posted:

I am the exact same loving way. I'd recommend Macross Plus since it's a very short OVA series. I never got into the whole wider Macross universe at all, so I probably missed a lot of references, but I still enjoyed it because it had some absolutely amazing music. (which is fairly central to the story, as it features an AI musician)

The new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime is pretty fun, too. It moves fast through the first two arcs of the manga, with concrete endings for each section.

Lastly, this might seem a bit too cliche, but maybe Death Note? The anime is a bit goofy sometimes, and it might not live up to the really high bar you've set, but it's one of the few series I could really get into for a while after Cowboy Bebop and FMA also left me with really picky standards. The manga might be better though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MustelaFuro posted:

Baccano! and Black Lagoon. The latter doesn't have a definite ending but it's only two seasons and doesn't have any of the really egregious facefault/sweatdrop/uguu stuff of most cut-rate anime. The former is fully self-contained (despite being just a couple books from a really lengthy and bugfuck nuts series of novels), just 13 episodes including the OVA, and has an excellent dub. Brooklyn accents for everybody.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Baccano! and Black Lagoon. The latter doesn't have a definite ending but it's only two seasons and doesn't have any of the really egregious facefault/sweatdrop/uguu stuff of most cut-rate anime. The former is fully self-contained (despite being just a couple books from a really lengthy and bugfuck nuts series of novels), just 13 episodes including the OVA, and has an excellent dub. Brooklyn accents for everybody.

Ditto on the Baccano! recommendation. It is really good. And make sure you watch the English dub; the Japanese voices don't hold a candle to the English ones. I'd also recommend Hellsing Ultimate.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Squidster posted:

The plants would be helpless; I doubt any of them could reach the back of the titans' necks with their attacks. On the other hand, they aren't humans so they'd only get killed if a titan accidentally stepped on one or if they were guarding a human's house.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Ditto on the Baccano! recommendation. It is really good. And make sure you watch the English dub; the Japanese voices don't hold a candle to the English ones. I'd also recommend Hellsing Ultimate.

In the middle of the dub right now actually. It makes a world of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'm going to look into them all tomorrow. Sorry for the derail, that wasn't my intention and I thought the recommendation thread was closed (I didn't realize there was a new one).

As for the anime at hand, does anyone know how popular it is internationally? From what I understand it's crazy popular in Japan but is the same true for elsewhere? I hadn't even heard of it until maybe 3 weeks ago, but I'm hooked now.

• Locked thread