Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
A fabulous Boris disc, do you mind if I ask how much you ended up paying?

Also, a find of my own today

MTNS - All Songs are Spells

So wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

And what's great is that Boris knows how to play quiet as well as loud---that's got to be an honest tribute with that cover.

Farewell by Boris is built around the riff to Horn by Nick Drake.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

cheapandugly posted:

A fabulous Boris disc, do you mind if I ask how much you ended up paying?

It ended up going for £42, which is only a little bit below how much I'd say a single record you really want is worth paying for ... any more than that and I start to worry about listening to it or keeping it because of it losing value ... which is BAD! I don't want to stray into record collector territory, these things are for listening to!

Anyway, here's some more good crap I picked up in the last few weeks:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long does it take Mondo to ship out stuff you bought? I managed to grab a Studio Ghibli album on the day they were up, but haven't heard anything about it since.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Abu Dave posted:

How long does it take Mondo to ship out stuff you bought? I managed to grab a Studio Ghibli album on the day they were up, but haven't heard anything about it since.

I'm pretty sure their policy is "You'll get it when we loving please.".

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks but I guess it's expected. Thanks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Anyone know when the Plains of the Purple Buffalo repress is supposed to ship? I placed my order at the beginning of last week and it's still "preparing to ship."

I thought these were ready to go?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anyone know when the Plains of the Purple Buffalo repress is supposed to ship? I placed my order at the beginning of last week and it's still "preparing to ship."

I thought these were ready to go?

They've already been shipped according to their facebook page

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have experience or information about "Dual" 1218 turntables?

There is a guy at the local book store who services and refurbishes old players and he has one for sale that has been cleaned, lubricated and serviced with a new stylus. In perfect working order now apparently.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Do you already have a turntable?

The Dual 1218 is not necessarily one of their best, but it's also not bad. I've heard (no first-hand experience, so take with a grain of salt) that the turntable is rather sensitive when it comes to footsteps. Also, the idler drive requires lubrication from time to time. The thing about Dual from that era (the 1218 was built in 1971, I think) is that they have awesome, intricate mechanical parts that are usually very reliable. But when poo poo breaks, it can be hard to fix - it seems like book store guy might be able to help you out then.

I guess it depends on what your current turntable is and how much you'd have to pay for the 1218.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a turntable. The 1218 is $160, it would cost me $300 to buy a brand new table but I would have to get it from Amazon as the $300 brand new turn table is $550 to 600 in shops locally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Does anyone have experience or information about "Dual" 1218 turntables?

There is a guy at the local book store who services and refurbishes old players and he has one for sale that has been cleaned, lubricated and serviced with a new stylus. In perfect working order now apparently.

I have a 1218 and let me tell you if he's actually cleaned and lubricated everything he's put an awful lot of time into it. It's a changer so there's a lot of clockwork poo poo under there. If the plinth (the box the actual turntable floats* in) is nice and there's an intact dust cover, it's a nice record player even if all the changer bits aren't there (longer spindle, some other poo poo possibly, I don't have them myself so I don't know exactly). Also, I wouldn't say any of the mechanics are especially delicate, all the metal bits are rather sturdy - by today's standards I'd even say heavy-duty.

EDIT: Oh he said are realiable, not aren't reliable. I read good. But yeah they are reliable. One more thing, Duals were so popular that it's fairly easy to find stuff like service manuals and even parts - I think (haven't used mine in some years) this model is one of the ones with a separate plastic bit, locked into place with a small lever, for the cartidge, and if you buy an extra one it's dead easy to swap carts quickly if you ever want to. For instance, you might want another pick-up for 78 rpm records. And it's definitely better than anything new you'd get for 160 USD.

*) On springs, not liquid

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The guy said it plays 78s so maybe he did it already?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

The guy said it plays 78s so maybe he did it already?

The stylus used for 33 and/or 45 RPM records is not the same as what you'd use for 78s. Using the standard 33 stylus on a 78 will gently caress up both the record and your stylus. What he probably meant is that it has that speed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh ok. Yep didn't know that, thanks CPL.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have a 1218 and let me tell you if he's actually cleaned and lubricated everything he's put an awful lot of time into it. It's a changer so there's a lot of clockwork poo poo under there. If the plinth (the box the actual turntable floats* in) is nice and there's an intact dust cover, it's a nice record player even if all the changer bits aren't there (longer spindle, some other poo poo possibly, I don't have them myself so I don't know exactly). Also, I wouldn't say any of the mechanics are especially delicate, all the metal bits are rather sturdy - by today's standards I'd even say heavy-duty.

EDIT: Oh he said are realiable, not aren't reliable. I read good. But yeah they are reliable. One more thing, Duals were so popular that it's fairly easy to find stuff like service manuals and even parts - I think (haven't used mine in some years) this model is one of the ones with a separate plastic bit, locked into place with a small lever, for the cartidge, and if you buy an extra one it's dead easy to swap carts quickly if you ever want to. For instance, you might want another pick-up for 78 rpm records. And it's definitely better than anything new you'd get for 160 USD.

*) On springs, not liquid
Well I hope he has put a lot of time into cleaning it out, you can tell the dude is a fanatic and loves records and record players. There isn't really any way I could tell apart from opening it myself but then I would have to buy it anyway. Thanks for the info, sounds like I may buy it...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Oh ok. Yep didn't know that, thanks CPL.
Well I hope he has put a lot of time into cleaning it out, you can tell the dude is a fanatic and loves records and record players. There isn't really any way I could tell apart from opening it myself but then I would have to buy it anyway. Thanks for the info, sounds like I may buy it...

If everything works smoothly, i.e. the levers don't stick and the arm returns properly, it's been cleaned and relubricated at some point. The poo poo they put there originally does not last 40+ years. Also, you don't actually have to 'open' it, the turntable is attached to the plinth with three or four bolt thingamajigs (which you should fiddle with anyway if you want to secure it for transport) and should lift out pretty easily, exposing all the mechanics below.

You should probably head on over to http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1218.shtml. You need to register (for free) but a manual is never a bad thing to have read.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 13, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I was hoping somebody might have some thoughts about this: I have a Debut 3 with the stock Ortofon OM5e cartridge and stylus.

Recently, it's become a great deal more sensitive to skipping, though nothing's really changed. I rebalanced the arm, reapplied the anti-skate, and cleaned the needle with a camel hair paint brush.

Funny thing is, if I lowered my tracking force to around 1.3 (as opposed to the recommended 1.75), things improved. I found that odd. Obviously, I don't want to leave it that way, either, since I worry about floating the needle in the groove.

Worst case, I'll just rebalance the whole thing, or use this as an excuse to buy a 2M/Blue

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
In utereo reissue announced today is up for presale on amazon at a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Utero-3LP-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00E7SXRHY

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

In utereo reissue announced today is up for presale on amazon at a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Utero-3LP-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00E7SXRHY

The obvious question is, is there anything that makes it worth buying this album again at a huge markup. Honestly, I am pretty interested in the bonus material. But 60 bucks?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I think it comes with a DVD of a '93 live performance but I don't see it listed in the vinyl package. It is entirely remixed and comes with new inserts and liner notes, etc. I can't find a copy of the standard release for less than $28.99 and it's one of my all-time favorite albums so I'm definitely getting it.

I saw the Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness reissue was something like $80 so I guess my "fairly reasonable price" observation is based on that comparison.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

I think it comes with a DVD of a '93 live performance but I don't see it listed in the vinyl package. It is entirely remixed and comes with new inserts and liner notes, etc. I can't find a copy of the standard release for less than $28.99 and it's one of my all-time favorite albums so I'm definitely getting it.

I saw the Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness reissue was something like $80 so I guess my "fairly reasonable price" observation is based on that comparison.

Oh yeah, I mean the album itself is great. But I already have a good pressing of it and that DVD is being sold by itself too.

Dat Kush
Aug 21, 2007

presidential shit
Hello vinyl thread, I lurk almost daily but never post anything. Anyone else collect any reggae vinyl?

I just picked these up yesterday to add to the collection...

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Speaking of Nirvana, what's a good pressing of Nevermind? My understanding is the recently pressed 180 gram vinyl isn't very good and neither is the 4 LP box set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

Speaking of Nirvana, what's a good pressing of Nevermind? My understanding is the recently pressed 180 gram vinyl isn't very good and neither is the 4 LP box set.

The ORG release from a few years back.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'd say the Mellon Collie reissue has a pretty justified price point. Billy always does well by his remasters by making them sound aight and including a million hundred bonus tracks. Packing is nice too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

The ORG release from a few years back.

What does ORG stand for? Obviously it's not "original". Also, I see OGV all over the place and have absolutely no clue what that could be

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Original Recordings Group

I don't know what ORGV is.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

david puddy posted:

What does ORG stand for? Obviously it's not "original". Also, I see OGV all over the place and have absolutely no clue what that could be

OGV is a weird acronym for 180 gram vinyl.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I'm just going to pretend it stands for Original Gangster Vinyl

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

OGV is a weird acronym for 180 gram vinyl.

:what:

Why don't they just use "180"? I don't understand things. Also I wish all online sellers would include a catalogue number in their listings, would make everything a billion times easier.

I finally got Discipline by King Crimson, so now I have every one of the studio albums they released on vinyl, yay.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So hey I bought that Dual 1218 record player and it works like a charm, really good condition though there is a tiny tiny burn mark on the top. I'll post some pics later and give that manual a read (cheers Jerry Cotton)

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Dat Kush posted:

Hello vinyl thread, I lurk almost daily but never post anything. Anyone else collect any reggae vinyl?

Jealous of that Upsetters! Might be jealous of all of it, in fact. I picked up Scientist's "Scientist Rids the Word of the Curse of the Evil Vampires" not long ago, and it sounds amazing. Such deep and cavernous dub.

Also speaking of Nirvana on vinyl, while the ORG is the consensus favorite, one can't discount the European Universal "320" releases from a few years back that were made from Albini's raw master tapes (by mistake, as rumor has it). I have those, and they loving slam. So much bottom end, and "In Utero" has some subtly crazy guitar effects on one song that don't exist on other versions. Never heard the ORG "Nevermind," but that reminds me that there's another $30 I need to spend just to compare the masterings.

I remember someone somewhere saying that the ORG is slightly more detailed, but that the 320 rocks harder. That'd be a tough decision for the likes of me.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 14, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

Jealous of that Upsetters! Might be jealous of all of it, in fact. I picked up Scientist's "Scientist Rids the Word of the Curse of the Evil Vampires" not long ago, and it sounds amazing. Such deep and cavernous dub.

Also speaking of Nirvana on vinyl, while the ORG is the consensus favorite, one can't discount the European Universal "320" releases from a few years back that were made from Albini's raw master tapes (by mistake, as rumor has it). I have those, and they loving slam. So much bottom end, and "In Utero" has some subtly crazy guitar effects on one song that don't exist on other versions. Never heard the ORG "Nevermind," but that reminds me that there's another $30 I need to spend just to compare the masterings.

I remember someone somewhere saying that the ORG is slightly more detailed, but that the 320 rocks harder. That'd be a tough decision for the likes of me.

That was just the version of In Utero they put out (which does sound quite good). I actually have that and I don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't really sound any different than the regular version. Also I looked around and it appears that the ORG releases are out of print. I do occasionally see them in stores, so if you want that and see them you might want to buy those right away. This kind of sucks because I wanted to grab the reissue of the MTV Unplugged album they released and I still haven't.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

izationalizer posted:

Reminds me of GTA III every time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

david puddy posted:

:what:

Why don't they just use "180"? I don't understand things. Also I wish all online sellers would include a catalogue number in their listings, would make everything a billion times easier.

I finally got Discipline by King Crimson, so now I have every one of the studio albums they released on vinyl, yay.

Onehundredeighty
Gram
Vinyl

Obviously :rolleye:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

That was just the version of In Utero they put out (which does sound quite good). I actually have that and I don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't really sound any different than the regular version. Also I looked around and it appears that the ORG releases are out of print. I do occasionally see them in stores, so if you want that and see them you might want to buy those right away. This kind of sucks because I wanted to grab the reissue of the MTV Unplugged album they released and I still haven't.

I might be misremembering, then; the only source I can find quickly states that "Nevermind" was "rumored" to be the Albini mix, but that doesn't sound too persuasive. But either way, the Universal "Nevermind" sounds awesome, and very different from the other versions I've heard (Simply Vinyl LP, original CD mix). A lot more bass, and just a lot more hard-hitting "whomp" overall. It was the consensus favorite until the ORG was released, and a sizable minority still prefer it. As this one guy says...

quote:

The org and the 320 are the best choices, both have very different eq though, depends what you like. The 320 is cut hotter, louder, and with more bass. The org may be cleaner and more accurate to the master.

I really need to get an ORG, just to see.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

I might be misremembering, then; the only source I can find quickly states that "Nevermind" was "rumored" to be the Albini mix, but that doesn't sound too persuasive. But either way, the Universal "Nevermind" sounds awesome, and very different from the other versions I've heard (Simply Vinyl LP, original CD mix). A lot more bass, and just a lot more hard-hitting "whomp" overall. It was the consensus favorite until the ORG was released, and a sizable minority still prefer it. As this one guy says...

I really need to get an ORG, just to see.

Steve Albini didn't have anything to do with their other albums. In fact he was brought on for In Utero because the band though Nevermind sounded too polished. The rumor about the European made Universal pressings of In Utero is that they used the wrong tapes when they were making it and supposedly those tapes for the much talked about alternate Steve Albini mix. It's worth noting that no one (including Albini himself) has confirmed this to be the case. It is a very good pressing, but if this really is the original Albini mix then I don't see what all the fuss was about. I can't really tell the difference. So that being said, if their pressing of Nevermind is consistent with In Utero then I'm sure it sounds good. Also, Simply Vinyl has a poor reputation among record collectors, so I'm not surprised that their version of Nevermind isn't as good as others. It was very likely mastered from a CD or something. I can almost guarantee that it is neither analog mastered, nor sourced from the original tapes.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
"There were only a couple of different mixes used on the final album. Ultimately, the band made the decision about what versions they would use, though they had to suffer a combination of their own insecurity and a bunch of people at their label freaking out, which probably influenced their decision. The version of the album in the stores is the version the band wanted people to hear, and I respect that. Any "alternate version" floating around out there is either totally bogus or a generations-removed copy of a cassette dub, and not worth your attention."
-Albini

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

chime_on posted:

"There were only a couple of different mixes used on the final album. Ultimately, the band made the decision about what versions they would use, though they had to suffer a combination of their own insecurity and a bunch of people at their label freaking out, which probably influenced their decision. The version of the album in the stores is the version the band wanted people to hear, and I respect that. Any "alternate version" floating around out there is either totally bogus or a generations-removed copy of a cassette dub, and not worth your attention."
-Albini

Yeah, exactly. That's why I don't really care about that poo poo. Plus the so called remixes were on like two tracks or something. I guess the biggest changes was that they scrapped the first master and did a new one. But in any case, the album sounds awesome as it is and for my money is the best thing they recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Dat Kush posted:

Nice score! For whatever reason I have a super hard time finding decent Jamaican music in Portland. I've only ever been able to find a couple Scientist records and the odd dancehall comp. Maybe I'm just hitting up the wrong stores.