Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fallom posted:

WiiU First Party Releases: "We put a fart button on it because... I don't know"
Wario Ware: Fart Academy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wario Ware: Fart Academy

Like we wouldn't all play this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Can the resistive touch screen of my Wii U recognize different types of farts? I'm assuming I'd control it with farts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fallom posted:

WiiU First Party Releases: "We put a fart button on it because... I don't know"

I will buy a Wii U if the Wii U version of Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! has game-pad fart button functionality.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It'd a little weird to complain the only thing Ducktales does with the gamepad is mirroring the screen for off screen play, when in fact this little thing definitively makes it the best version of the game. There being a map means they actually did more with the gamepad than Nintendo did on their own signature, best selling title New Super Mario.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Well I finished Pikmin 3 so my WiiU goes back to gather dust until something else comes out for it. Still not seeing any revolutionary uses for the Gamepad in that game...
"displaying a map" is going to be the new "waggle" isn't it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jut posted:

Well I finished Pikmin 3 so my WiiU goes back to gather dust until something else comes out for it. Still not seeing any revolutionary uses for the Gamepad in that game...
"displaying a map" is going to be the new "waggle" isn't it?

Nintendo already did 2 screens with the DS years and years ago, I'm not sure why they thought forcing 2 screens on a home system would work out any better.

Cyra posted:

I'm always a little fascinated by how much people who either don't like or don't own the Wii U can't seem to stop talking about it.

As for the controller, you can turn on and navigate the menus, including stuff like miiverse, exclusively with a controller of your choice. The only thing you absolutely need the tablet for, if memory serves, is the system settings and maybe the eShop.

I quite enjoy the off-screen gaming element. If the roommates are watching Arrested Development or whatever, I can just kick it in the same room with Earthbound or something. However, it's not the defining feature of the console for me and I could live without it, and I don't disagree that it's one of the many mishandled aspects of the system that's dragging Nintendo down. It'll be really interesting to see how they'll fare trying to correct their course in the face of the Xbox One-Eighty and PS4. I maintain that by 2014 there will be enough major first party titles to sell people on the console. Where they go from there is what's gonna make or break it.

I'd like to like it! I've owned most other Nintendo systems and I love their handhelds. I bought a Wii more or less for Super Smash Bros and now that 3DS is getting their own smash bros I can safely pretend that Nintendo only has 1 console out.

Also for off-screen gaming if my wife is watching TV or something there are handhelds and iPads and such, plus I think the PS4 is going to be able to do it across every game.

I'm actually kind of relieved they seem to be focusing more on the 3DS because this way I don't need a Wii U.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 14, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also for off-screen gaming if my wife is watching TV or something there are handhelds and iPads and such, plus I think the PS4 is going to be able to do it across every game.

You'll need to be one of the ten people who own a Vita for that though.

And the one-up Sony has on Nintendo is you can play PS4 games via internet anywhere in the world. Yeah, there'll be a fair bit of lag, but being able to play PS4 RPGs and Tactics games while I'm travelling for work is gonna be pretty cool.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

It'd a little weird to complain the only thing Ducktales does with the gamepad is mirroring the screen for off screen play, when in fact this little thing definitively makes it the best version of the game. There being a map means they actually did more with the gamepad than Nintendo did on their own signature, best selling title New Super Mario.

I find it incredibly distracting to always have the mirrored TV image on the Game Pad when playing NSMBU. They could have at least did the thing where you press select and you get the 3DS style second screen with basic map.

I can appreciate the little things down there on the Game Pad. It's not what convinced me to get a Wii U, but I liked playing the Wonderful 101 demo and having the morphs only a glance away. Reminds me of playing a fighting game and how I'd keep pausing and go into a moves menu to remind myself how to do some move...

OatmealRaisin posted:

And the one-up Sony has on Nintendo is you can play PS4 games via internet anywhere in the world. Yeah, there'll be a fair bit of lag, but being able to play PS4 RPGs and Tactics games while I'm travelling for work is gonna be pretty cool.

A "fair bit of lag" is kind of a huge problem though in video games... turn based RPGs are probably the only games where you can get away with it.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 14, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If anything, I hope the Wii U's poor sales motivates Nintendo to make some fantastic games for it like the N64 and Gamecube, rather than just coasting off the success of games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit. They've lost the casual audience to facebook, phones and tablets, so the only way to get their console out of the gutter is for them to make games people will buy the console for.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Astro7x posted:

A "fair bit of lag" is kind of a huge problem though in video games... turn based RPGs are probably the only games where you can get away with it.

Right, but since the PS4 has a dedicated streaming chip the lag when you're using the Vita as you would a WiiU tablet will probably be negligible. Being able to play certain genres when away from home is just a bonus.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

greatn posted:

When I wrote my complaint I wasn't aware of the map ability and figured it was like NSMBU or all the virtual console games. Having the screen mirrored is obnoxious and makes me not use the game pad because all the movement distracts me when I'm trying to play on tv.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

Right, but since the PS4 has a dedicated streaming chip the lag when you're using the Vita as you would a WiiU tablet will probably be negligible. Being able to play certain genres when away from home is just a bonus.

The video encoding for Remote Play on the PS3 is all done in software, so the hardware encoder on the PS4 is going to be much faster. The Vita also has dedicated hardware video encoders and decoders, so as long as the wireless interface between the two systems is good, then it should be able to match the Wii U GamePad. Hopefully the hardware video encoders and decoders, along with the low response time of the DualShock 4, will make Remote Play more usable over the internet too.

E: I hope that Nintendo finds a way to let you use the GamePad remotely, but it might not be possible. It would need the ability to boot some sort of firmware that would let it connect to the internet and search for your Wii U.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 14, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

OatmealRaisin posted:

Takes balls to make a joke like that in a WiiU thread.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Takes balls to make a joke like that in a WiiU thread.

It's me, I'm one of the ten. :sigh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

OatmealRaisin posted:

I'm talking about remote play over the internet, not locally. I will be shocked if Sony finds a way to give a lag free experience over the internet considering that I still experience lag to make watching TV shows frustrating with a Slingbox over a T1 line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course it isn't going to be lag free, but there are amounts of lag that you accept, especially over the internet and say "This is fast enough". I mean that's fine for a ton of genres like action/adventure, rpgs, non-twitch platformers, puzzle games, and such.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's me, I'm one of the ten. :sigh:

And I'm one of two that own both!! :shepface:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Of course it isn't going to be lag free, but there are amounts of lag that you accept, especially over the internet and say "This is fast enough". I mean that's fine for a ton of genres like action/adventure, rpgs, non-twitch platformers, puzzle games, and such.

LCD TVs introduce a ton of input delay due to all the image processing they do, so being streamed to a device with its own built-in screen can actually have less input delay overall, for instance the GamePad sometimes being a little bit ahead of the TV.

In some instances, games played through Gaikai and Onlive can have input latencies on par with 30 fps console games, so unless you're playing Street Fighter IV professionally, you might not even notice.

flyboi posted:

And I thought I was the only one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

I own them both too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

OatmealRaisin posted:

Vita has sold better than the Wii U :v: From all sales figures I can find at least.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

I just started up the 3DS Fire Emblem and found this. The touchscreen is noninteractive and the top screen covers up a polygonal scene in order to present a keyboard that would be nicer to use with touch. This is a first party title on their second portable system with a touchscreen.

There are plenty of touch-based keyboards in their other titles and in their system software, so this just seems really sloppy.

I think the touchscreen on the Wii U was a bad idea for Nintendo in particular because they have poor and inconsistent judgement when it comes to actually using the hardware gimmicks that they've spent so much money and effort to put into their systems. See also: putting a wiimote cursor in the Mario Galaxy games and any game with waggle controls.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Vita has sold better than the Wii U :v: From all sales figures I can find at least.

Yeah, ~5m Vitas sold to the 3.6m Wii Us shipped. At the current sales for both, looking at around a year before the Wii U overtakes it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yakuza 1 and 2 sells less than 2000 copies in its first week.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

It's a rerelease of two PS2 games that were already rereleased on the PS3 a year ago. What did they expect?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Would have been nice of them to release it here. It wouldn't have been a mega-hit but I guarantee it would sell more than 2000 copies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OatmealRaisin posted:

Would have been nice of them to release it here. It wouldn't have been a mega-hit but I guarantee it would sell more than 2000 copies.

Yea like 3k.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm not sure it could make it to 2,000.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't see why they went to the effort to port the games to a console with such a small userbase, when just modifying the existing PS3 release with the translated versions would have sold more copies from die-hard Yakuza fans alone. That's where the established fan base is, after all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyra posted:

Please understand

Please be excited.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

Back in May Toshihiro Nagoshi stated that the release was an "experiment", saying the following:

We're not aiming to see if the game will be a smash hit. Our real intention is that we want to see how people respond.

I'll field that one for you, Toshihiro Nagoshi:

"People don't give a gently caress about the WiiU and it will sell like garbage"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It'd be a shame if they interpreted it as people not caring about Yakuza, because it's really just the fault of the WiiU.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well, The sales of Yakuza 5 should tell them that people still love Yakuza. I think this will show them the reaction to HD collections on the WiiU (that aren't overpriced).

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
According to the NPD Neogaf sales thread, the Wii U sold around 29,000 units this July. But sales will probably be better in August due to Pikmin 3, so there's a glimmer of hope there. :downs:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kurona_bright posted:

According to the NPD Neogaf sales thread, the Wii U sold around 29,000 units this July. But sales will probably be better in August due to Pikmin 3, so there's a glimmer of hope there. :downs:

Pikmin was never a system mover so that's doubtful.

And quite frankly I found it to be a step back from the previous 2.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

kurona_bright posted:

Who the gently caress would buy Pikmin 3 that doesn't already own a Wii U?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

M3wThr33 posted:

Who the gently caress would buy Pikmin 3 that doesn't already own a Wii U?
Japanese people, for starters. Granted, it dropped off pretty quickly.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Fallom posted:

It'd be a shame if they interpreted it as people not caring about Yakuza, because it's really just the fault of the WiiU.

I don't think anybody is dumb enough to read a game failing on the WiiU as a failure of the game's brand at this point.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

sethsez posted:

I don't think anybody is dumb enough to read a game failing on the WiiU as a failure of the game's brand at this point.

Maybe not, but Ubisoft announced they weren't planning a sequel for ZombiU because of the terrible sales. And that Rayman Legends was switched from exclusive to multiplatform because of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

kurona_bright posted:

And with another month of NPD information comes another graph to put it in perspective

• Locked thread