Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

blah blah blah liquidity blah blah price discovery blah blah

It's useless and is a legalized way for brokerages with access to skim from financial markets.

Yeah, that's not any more or less legitimate than the stockmarket already was really. The real problem is the massive volatility created because it's being done by very fallible computer programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There is one way to solve the size-of-Africa problem with the Mercator projection: reorient the cylinder so Africa is near the poles, giving it an infinite area! :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is an acceptable solution.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Mercator's version of the arctic is one of my favorite things!

My rough translation of the first map:

quote:

Green continent:
In the northern parts of Bargu it is said that there are islands which are so far north that the Arctic pole appears to be southwards.

This narrow strait has five mouths. Due to the its narrowness and swift current, the strait never freezes

Yellow inferior continent:
Here live pygmies no more than 4 feet tall, like those in Greenland who are called wretches.

Brown continent:
This strait has 3 mouths - spanning 37 leagues - and every year for 3 months they are frozen.

This island is the best and healthiest of the entire north.

Yellow superior continent:
At the mouth of the ocean, the islands make 4 straits, through which the sub-north is carried into indefinitely, and there in the bowels of the world are absorbed. The rock that is under the pole has a circumference of about 33 leagues.

Center:
Arctic pole - the very high black rock.

Errata:
In the midst of the four countries is a whirlpool, into which empty these four indrawing straits which divide the North. And the water rushes round and descends into the Earth just as if one were pouring it through a filter funnel. It is four degrees wide on every side of the pole, that is to say eight degrees altogether. Except that right under the pole there lies a bare rock in the midst of the sea. Its circumference is almost 33 leagues, and it is all of magnetic stone.

The errata being from a letter from Mercator to John Dee.

Read more here.

More good poo poo here as well, a hidden gem of a wiki article.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 13, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
40 maps that explain the world.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I guess WaPo doesn't know the difference between the Head of State and the Head of Government? All the monarchs labeled "figureheads" are officially the Head of State for their country. In the countries colored red the monarchs act as the Head of Government.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

The whole thing is varying degrees of stupid. I'm not the first to scream "euro centric!" but the first map doesn't think the people in Africa had kingdoms circa 200 AD. Also, wasn't this brought up before but what is Albania doing in the Caucasus?

What's worse is I didn't find this by reading The Post, I found it on Facebook with people cheering it on. :negative:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Racism is over, we Americans are super tolerant, so sayeth the Washington Post.

D&D could publish there own 40 maps that explain the world.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

GreenCard78 posted:

Also, wasn't this brought up before but what is Albania doing in the Caucasus?

Different place, coincidentally got the same name in a different way. Whatever the people who lived there called their country apparently isn't known, but it certainly wasn't "Albania". (Which also isn't what the other Albanians call their Albania in Albanian.)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PrinceRandom posted:

This doesn't seem at all right. I was most surprised about Japan actually; I was to believe they had a reputation for xenophobia toward foreign nationals living in Japan (as opposed to tourists or visitors on workterms, but the map specifically asks 'lives')

Also apparently India is the most racist place on earth.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It doesn't seem right because it depicts what people say about themselves rather than how people actually act, which you might think it portrays if you didn't think very hard.

Personally I want to know how "race" translates in different languages, it being a western concept that probably gets equated with various local ideas that only approximate its western definition. Like I assume indians hates living next to other races so much because race is translated into caste, or maybe caste/religion/language? Whatever it is I doubt their prejudice is about skin color.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Poizen Jam posted:

This doesn't seem at all right. I was most surprised about Japan actually; I was to believe they had a reputation for xenophobia toward foreign nationals living in Japan (as opposed to tourists or visitors on workterms, but the map specifically asks 'lives')

It seems like they asked a really stupid poll question and then used it to quantify Racial Tolerance.

Maybe it could be called Racial Awareness, as Americans might know enough to avoid answering such an obviously racial question negatively.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Squalid posted:

It doesn't seem right because it depicts what people say about themselves rather than how people actually act, which you might think it portrays if you didn't think very hard.

Personally I want to know how "race" translates in different languages, it being a western concept that probably gets equated with various local ideas that only approximate its western definition. Like I assume indians hates living next to other races so much because race is translated into caste, or maybe caste/religion/language? Whatever it is I doubt their prejudice is about skin color.

I'd also be curious what the other choices were on that survey. In the U.S. the concept of race is intertwined with a number of other social and cultural characteristics. I think most white suburbanites would be fine with a black cardiac surgeon moving in next door, just as long as his car doesn't have rims, doesn't play loud music, and doesn't have gatherings of other black people in his front yard.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
We had a discussion on Japan earlier in the thread because of a similar map, actually (done by a tourist board or something)- it may seem to do well on the map as a whole, but it's pretty low in terms of developed nations.

And yeah, even less than one in twenty Americans openly saying they don't want to live next to someone of a different race is pretty shameful sounding to me.

Squalid posted:

I think we can all agree the map is poo poo, but "race" is not just a western concept- in fact, India's one of the world's most prominent examples of people being historically divided according to skin colour.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I guess WaPo doesn't know the difference between the Head of State and the Head of Government? All the monarchs labeled "figureheads" are officially the Head of State for their country. In the countries colored red the monarchs act as the Head of Government.

Hahhaha.

The commonwealth games: attended by the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and no one else.

There's like a billion things wrong with that map.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Koramei posted:

And yeah, even less than one in twenty Americans openly saying they don't want to live next to someone of a different race is pretty shameful sounding to me.

Well that is the smallest block so it is kind of hard to judge where the US falls exactly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Squalid posted:

Caste and skin color are actually very much correlated in India.

Edit: Koramei beat me to it.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

HookShot posted:

Hahhaha.

The commonwealth games: attended by the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and no one else.

There's like a billion things wrong with that map.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's accurate as far as the Commonwealth Realms go. The list of countries that are Commonwealth Realms (meaning that QEII is still head of state) is considerably shorter than the membership list of the Commonwealth of Nations (which were all under the British crown at some point or other, but may have become Republics since independence, or in a few cases switched to a native monarchy).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

arhra posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's accurate as far as the Commonwealth Realms go. The list of countries that are Commonwealth Realms (meaning that QEII is still head of state) is considerably shorter than the membership list of the Commonwealth of Nations (which were all under the British crown at some point or other, but may have become Republics since independence, or in a few cases switched to a native monarchy).

Well for one thing the countries of the Commonwealth Realm should be red, because Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state, and not just a figurehead (her representative in Australia, the Governor General, fired the Prime Minister back in the 70s). The "Commonwealth" generally refers to the "Commonwealth of Nations".

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime
Queen Elizabeth is the United Kingdom's head of state, and she is mostly a figurehead with some powers.

And why is Jordan's monarch listed as just head of state? I'm pretty sure King Abdullah plays a pretty active role in governing the country.

It's a really stupid map.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Caste and skin color are actually very much correlated in India.

Edit: Koramei beat me to it.

Correlated but not equivalent. There are many ways people divide themselves, and appearance is often one way to distinguish among groups, but race, which is a social category created during the colonial era with only a tenuous relationship to scientific distinctions between human populations, should not necessarily be understood as equal to other tribal/national divisions. This topic has been confused by the tendency of European writers to explain complex social divisions through ill fitting analogies with our own society, and writers/thinkers of the global south to justify/explain their own equally arbitrary social distinctions through the lens of European thought, to the extent of downplaying differences between indigenous and European systems.

It seems to me that race has maintained a kind of ideological hegemony through which it can subsume the varied experiences of peoples with prejudice around the globe. Like if a Vietnamese person answered they didn't want to live next door to the Chinese such a prejudice could not be understood as racism in the United States, because they are not understood to constitute different races in this country, although that might not be true (I don't know) in Vietnam. In an example I am more familiar with, what race would you classify a Somali as? For an American it's easy, they are Black Africans. Ask a Somali though and they might self-identify as arabs, which were classified as caucasian for the purposes of American segregation laws. Here's a rather baffling Yahoo Questions link in which several people offer their opinion on what exactly a Somali is:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071007063603AAl7reg

quote:

Somalis are not black OR arab thats freakin stupid.
JUST because they have dark skin doesnt make them *****.
Okay afrian-americans dont get carried away somali's tink black just refers to skin since they have brown they'll say they'e black ut they sure as hell wont say they *****.

somali's are semitic

no offense but every black person thnks somali's are black because they have brown skin.they WANT to claim them because long hair and narrow features and they wanna say "oh yeah man blacks come in a variety" once more no offence but you guys claim want t claim everything with dark skin ESPECIALLY when they're beautiful and have narrow features

To stay on topic, here's a cool blog post about the geography of European genetics with some good maps. I'd upload them but imgur is is acting weird.

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/08/31/genetic-map-of-europe-genes-va/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Different place, coincidentally got the same name in a different way. Whatever the people who lived there called their country apparently isn't known, but it certainly wasn't "Albania". (Which also isn't what the other Albanians call their Albania in Albanian.)

A few countries don't. Hungary isn't Hungary in Hungarian either.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Peanut President posted:

A few countries don't. Hungary isn't Hungary in Hungarian either.

How does someone get Hungary out of Magyar?

Squalid posted:

It seems to me that race has maintained a kind of ideological hegemony through which it can subsume the varied experiences of peoples with prejudice around the globe. Like if a Vietnamese person answered they didn't want to live next door to the Chinese such a prejudice could not be understood as racism in the United States, because they are not understood to constitute different races in this country, although that might not be true (I don't know) in Vietnam.

:confused:

That's still racist in America.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GreenCard78 posted:

How does someone get Hungary out of Magyar?

Or Finland out of Suomi or Japan out of Nihon. Those ones have never, ever made sense to me.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Nihon? I thought it was Nippon? Are 'p' and 'h' similar in Japanese?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mister Adequate posted:

Thanks for all the posts in response to my question! It's a bit tricky for someone who isn't particularly educated in maths to wrap their head around but I think between all your posts and examples I'm grasping the situation well enough.

The best way to wrap your head around it is to imagine actually wrapping something. Picture a big sheet of paper, and how theres no way to wrap it around a sphere without a ton of folds and wrinkles. Then it's a bit easier to picture that in reverse.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

"Japan" is a corruption of a Chinese dialect's pronunciation of the characters for "Nippon"

"China" on the other hand, has nothing to do with "Zhongguo", nor "Germany" with "Deutschland"

Most cities in Italy have different names in English and Italian. French cities, on the other hand, have the same names in English as they do in French.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

GreenCard78 posted:

They're synonyms (barring certain nuances).

Though yeah, 'p' and 'h' are similar -- orthographically, 'ho' is ほ and 'po' is ぽ, and (quoting Wikipedia) "although Proto-Japanese had a *[p], by Old Japanese it had already become [ɸ] and subsequently [h] during Early Modern Japanese where it remains today".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

esquilax posted:

"Japan" is a corruption of a Chinese dialect's pronunciation of the characters for "Nippon"

"China" on the other hand, has nothing to do with "Zhongguo", nor "Germany" with "Deutschland"

China at least had to do with the ruling dynasty at the time. Apparently Germany may derive from a Celtic word meaning neighbor, so the more you know.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Further to Armeniachat, here's a poster that is circulated around the Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem:

It doesn't show precise borders, but the sheer size of the word Armenia is noticeable. I guess this map is politically motivated, given that Turkey denies the Genocide ever occurred?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

GreenCard78 posted:

The written 日本 is of Chinese origin and combines two characters with multiple ways to read them, and the readings Nihon and Nippon result from these slightly differing readings for the same characters. There are probably thousands of examples of this, particularly for place names and personal names. Nippon always refers to the country itself and properly should never be used in adjectival syntax to refer to people, culture, language etc. The actual original Japanese names for Japan are either 大和 Yamato, or 和国 Wakoku, though this properly only describes the region around what is now Kyoto, as there were several coeval independent kingdoms in other regions of the archipelago such as Azuma or Okinawa with distinct cultures, governments, and languages (or at least dialects).

As for the similarity of p and h, I will drastically simplify some things here for brevity, but in early Japanese orthography using derived Japanese script, H, B, and P syllables were all represented using the same characters (ie; ho, bo, and po would all be written ほ, for example) with the correct reading understandable via context. They later introduced something similar to diacritical marks to clarify, so you ended up with ほ for ho, ぼ for bo, and ぽ for po. An easy way to conceptualize this is something like I and J, or U and V in roman script. There's a much longer explanation than this that goes into the details of how basic pronunciation conventions mutated over the centuries leaving artifacts of archaic pronunciations littered throughout modern Japanese with little rhyme or reason. Ultimately, this is not really the place for that, and I am too lazy to actually consult my references and write everything out.

EDIT: Beaten on some points, but it's funny as poo poo how we all used ほ for the example since は has all kinds of special baggage that isn't really relevant and would just confuse people.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 14, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PrinceRandom posted:

They're not super tolerant, just least honest :)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

computer parts posted:

Apparently Germany may derive from a Celtic word meaning neighbor, so the more you know.

In Europe, these countries' names (e.g. Germany and Hungary) often come more or less directly from Latin and Greek often via names used by peoples that either bordered the geographical location (Germany) or interacted with the tribes that subsequently came to be associated with a geographical location and nation (Hungary). Germany is a fairly simple explanation, likely coming from some Gaulish terms and then modified into "Germania," the usage of which persisted as a place name despite the lack of a consistent German people. Germania was distinct from the names used for the peoples that resided in Germany (for example, the Suebi). Hungary came into Medieval Latin from Medieval Greek, which in turn seems to have borrowed the term from Old Bulgarian, which in turn seems to have received the term from Bulgar-Turkic for a confederacy of which the Magyars may have eventually become the majority group.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

esquilax posted:

Most cities in Italy have different names in English and Italian. French cities, on the other hand, have the same names in English as they do in French.

English uses 'Germany' by drawing on Greek and Latin for the place name instead of the Germanic roots of either the local language or English itself. English just loves to muddle its etymological roots and sometimes does really odd stuff with foreign names. The Arabic philosopher ibn Sina becomes Avicenna (ah vi senna), which makes sense as a corruption, but ibn Rushd becomes Averroes (ah vare oh ees). Why? Because English says, "gently caress you!" that's why.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Poizen Jam posted:

The number of foreign nationals living in Japan is so comparatively small, that it rarely comes up, so I'd imagine that the top answers were stuff like "burakumin" or "Yakuza" instead of "foreigners". It would be like someone in Kansas worrying about people living next to people from Vanuatu. (Yes, I am exaggerating)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That 'are you racist or not' map was a big issue here in Hong Kong.

The survey that was given to people had translated everything backwards, showing that 78% of people were hella racist. Obviously, the actual number was 22%, which still sucks but eh.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

MrMenshevik posted:

English uses 'Germany' by drawing on Greek and Latin for the place name instead of the Germanic roots of either the local language or English itself. English just loves to muddle its etymological roots and sometimes does really odd stuff with foreign names. The Arabic philosopher ibn Sina becomes Avicenna (ah vi senna), which makes sense as a corruption, but ibn Rushd becomes Averroes (ah vare oh ees). Why? Because English says, "gently caress you!" that's why.

To be fair, he's called Averroes in pretty much all European languages. He got that name as a Latinisation of his original one, though I have no idea what the medieval translators were thinking.

On the topic of the names for Germany I'll just crosspost this older post of me:

quote:

Germany has actually a lot of different names depending on what language you're speaking. The country calls itself Deutschland, coming from the Old High German adjective diutisc, "of the people". All Germanic languages with the sole exception of English (and Scots, I guess) derive their name for Germany from that, along with Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese. The demonym "Dutch" actually stems from that. The English Germany comes from the Latin Germania, which was the collective term for all Germanic tribes used by the Romans (and later on by the tribes themselves). It isn't entirely clear where it comes from, but English shares that origin with lots of other languages like Mongolian, Hebrew or Esperanto. The Spanish derive their name, as you said, from the Alemanni tribe which was the direct neighbour to the Galloromanes of France in the time before the formation of the Frankish kingdom; it entered the French language through that and spread from there throughout the Iberian peninsula, eventually reaching the Arab, Turkish and Persian languages as well. While the Slavic languages have different names for Germany, their adjectives all come from Old Slavic němьcь, "foreigner", which in turn comes from the word for "mute" (as they couldn't speak Slavic). The Hungarian and Romanian languages adopted that term as well. The Finnic languages derive their name for Germany from the Saxon tribe (e.g. Finnish Saksa), Lithuanian and Latvian call it Vokietija and Vacija, respectively - this probably comes from the Skandinavian Vagoth tribe. The Navajo say Bééshbichʼahníí bikéyah ("iron helmet"), as this was the code name for Germany during WWII. Medieval Latin and Greek derived their name from the Teutons and Franks, and in Rwanda and Burundi the names for Germany comes from "Guten Tag" ("Hello"), as this was what they heard the Germans saying to each other during the colonial era. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

System Metternich posted:

To be fair, he's called Averroes in pretty much all European languages. He got that name as a Latinisation of his original one, though I have no idea what the medieval translators were thinking.

On the topic of the names for Germany I'll just crosspost this older post of me:

Nice map, are there other maps for other countries' name?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I don't know of any, sorry - it's pretty much only Germany that has such a multitude of demonyms as far as I know.

The guy who created it also did some other interesting maps, though:

Wikipedia posted:

The first official published description of [Danubian endemic familial nephropathy] was made by the Bulgarian nephrologist Dr. Yoto Tanchev and his team in 1956 in the Bulgarian Journal Savremenna Medizina, a priority generally acknowledged by the international nephrological community. Their study was based on a wide screening of inhabitants of the villages around the town of Vratsa, Bulgaria. Their contribution to the understanding of this unusual endemic disease of the kidneys was their description of symptoms which were not typical of common chronic nephritis, i.e., incidence only in adults (no children affected), absence of high blood pressure, xanthochromia of palms and soles (Tanchev's sign), early hypochromic anemia, absence of proteinuria, and slow progression of kidney failure.
A striking feature of the disease is its very localized occurrence. There are approximately ten small areas where it occurs, all of them more or less rural, but nothing seems to connect those areas other than the occurrence of this illness. Tanchev and colleagues suggested that the condition was sui generis. Their initial tentative hypothesis for its cause was intoxication with heavy metals, because the affected villages were supplied with water coming from nearby Vratsa Mountain, a karst-type mountain.
The disease was originally called "Vratsa nephritis," and became known as "Balkan endemic nephropathy" later, after people living in Yugoslavia and Romania were found to be suffering from it as well.

The etiology of DEFN is not certain, although chronic exposure to dietary aristolochic acid has been identified as a major risk factor for DEFN and other, related disorders.
In the Balkan region, dietary aristolochic acid exposure may come from the consumption of the seeds of Aristolochia clematitis (European birthwort), a plant native to the endemic region, which are thought to comingle with the wheat used for bread. This theory has recently been further supported by the research of cancer biologist Arthur P. Grollman, director of the chemical biology lab at Stony Brook University in New York, and his colleague Bojan Jelaković, an associate professor at the Zagreb University School of Medicine. Aristolochic-acid-containing herbal remedies used in traditional Chinese medicine are associated with a related—possibly identical—condition known as "Chinese herbs nephropathy". Exposure to aristolochic acid is associated with a high incidence of uroepithelial tumorigenesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

HookShot posted:

Or Finland out of Suomi or Japan out of Nihon. Those ones have never, ever made sense to me.
"Japan" comes from the Hokkien pronunciation of "日本", which is something like ji peng.