Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

Alright folks, here's the July Oath Complete selection! https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE

:siren: HOWEVER :siren: there is 1 photo missing, so please have a look through this and see if your Oath Complete photo is missing! Some of you submitted just one photo, so if your photo is missing then you're missing out on getting judged.

I'll give everyone a couple of days, then I have to let the judges have their say.

It looks like I'm missing more than one of my oaths last month. I didn't see these any of these entries:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I Mr.Booger Oath this tankette from Spartan Games and a tanker crewman from Zombiesmith (both 28mm), for when it ultimately blows up

holy Moses the 10th already, time is flying by this month.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Leperflesh posted:

Is this WH 40k? I'm thinking it might be Necromunda instead?

Yes, they're from Necromunda. Does it matter, did I miss something in the rules? :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Alright folks, here's the July Oath Complete selection! https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE

:siren: HOWEVER :siren: there is 1 photo missing, so please have a look through this and see if your Oath Complete photo is missing! Some of you submitted just one photo, so if your photo is missing then you're missing out on getting judged.

I'll give everyone a couple of days, then I have to let the judges have their say.

As well as Red Shoe, the base I oathed for the 'get based out' entry isn't in the slideshow, but I'm not sure if this is illegible for voting or not given that it's my get based out entry too?

If link to my oath complete post but I'm on a tablet, and it's a pain in the butt to get to :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Whales Saved!

I am very sorry, but this is not a valid whales saved. When you want to Save da Whales, you must post a photo of your models complete with timestamp in their current condition and Oath them, like making a regular Oath. Then you finish your models and do an Oath Complete post as normal, but indicate that the models are Saved. Please see "How to Save Your Failed Oath (Save Da Whales)" in the second post of the thread for detailed instructions.

My intention is not to make you jump through unnecessary hoops: but, I need to see and approve Whales posts before you do the painting, not after the fact.

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Yes, they're from Necromunda. Does it matter, did I miss something in the rules? :ohdear:

This month there is a special drawing for people who complete oaths of Warhammer 40k models: you can win a space ork I believe. So I am tracking everyone who oaths 40k, and I wasn't sure if yours are 40k or not.

We decided Space Hulk minis count as 40k because you can use them for 40k, but I'm not sure if Necromunda models could be used in 40k (like, is there a ganger unit in imperial guard armies or something?)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

Re-oath? As far as I can tell, you completed a line kazak in June; your failed July oath was a veteran kazak. If I got that wrong, and this is a failed oath from this year's thread, you can (also) use this as a Savin' da Whales entry.

To echo what was said earlier, the original oath was completed but was lost in my backpack for a few weeks and was severely damaged as a result; because this is just a re-do of a completed oath, it technically shouldn't qualify for Savin' da Whales. :eng101: I think.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Leperflesh posted:

This month there is a special drawing for people who complete oaths of Warhammer 40k models: you can win a space ork I believe. So I am tracking everyone who oaths 40k, and I wasn't sure if yours are 40k or not.

We decided Space Hulk minis count as 40k because you can use them for 40k, but I'm not sure if Necromunda models could be used in 40k (like, is there a ganger unit in imperial guard armies or something?)

Oh, I missed that. Well Necromunda takes place in the 40k universe and I guess you could proxy them as guardsmen or cultists if you wanted to, but I don't really mind about the drawing so it's up to you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bhsman posted:

To echo what was said earlier, the original oath was completed but was lost in my backpack for a few weeks and was severely damaged as a result; because this is just a re-do of a completed oath, it technically shouldn't qualify for Savin' da Whales. :eng101: I think.

OK, you've got it right. They don't qualify for Whales because you actually succeeded in your original oath with them.

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Oh, I missed that. Well Necromunda takes place in the 40k universe and I guess you could proxy them as guardsmen or cultists if you wanted to, but I don't really mind about the drawing so it's up to you.

I'll have a chat with krushgroove about it.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath an Orc Raider starter fleet consisting of 1 battleship, 3 cruisers, and 6 frigates. These miniatures are Spartan Games Uncharted Seas in 1/600th scale. I also oath 2 war elephants with howdahs from Eureka Miniatures in 10mm scale.

I meant to do the ships last month but slacked off.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Leperflesh posted:

Necromunda could handily be used as IG Penal Legion. I use Necromunda Redemptionists as Chaos Cultists and am planning on using Enforcers as Storm Troopers. So yes, Necromunda can be used in 40k.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Leperflesh posted:

I am very sorry, but this is not a valid whales saved.

Okay, this is annoying. I actually spent a good hour before posting going back and looking for old Whales posts to make sure I was getting the format right, and reading the OP. The in-jokey category names make it quite hard to get up to speed on just how this thread works. I know my goodwill is not needed to run the thread, but please take note of the kind of trouble new arrivals get into.

I am going to grit my teeth and try again this month.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

After a couple of months break, I, LazyAngel, oath for the month of August, the Masters of The Path box from Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures. This consists of three Ashigaru, Chiaki, Yan Lo and a Soul Porter.

Better do a decent job after the pain of putting those drat skeletons together. Who thought a 2-part spear was a good idea to sculpt?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't know that box was even out! But I think the idea is show them unpainted... :ssh:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Ok, how did this work again. Oh, right:
I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint these 10 skeleton warriors from Games Workshop in the month of August!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

It looks like I'm missing more than one of my oaths last month. I didn't see these any of these entries:

Sorry about that - I blame Google Photos not handling picture uploads ideally, but mostly lovely upload speeds! I've added these now - they were in the initial folder of pictures I created from all the submissions, but didn't get uploaded properly.

enri posted:

As well as Red Shoe, the base I oathed for the 'get based out' entry isn't in the slideshow, but I'm not sure if this is illegible for voting or not given that it's my get based out entry too?

If link to my oath complete post but I'm on a tablet, and it's a pain in the butt to get to :(

The base, as well as all the Get Based Out entries that get submitted, is going into a separate mini-competition for judging at the end of the year. Did you mean to enter it into judging for July as well? That's not what was intended, I've read through the rules for GBO and I can see how that can be construed from the wording, but the intent is that you complete the base as an oath, meaning it's started and finished within one month. Sorry if that's the source of confusion or whatever. You had other models you completed, so those are in the judging for July.

If I understood you right and you thought the base is part of the judging for July, let me know and I'll edit the GBO rules slightly.

:siren: Everyone else who submitted Oath Complete photos :siren:
Please have a look here https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE and find your photos - if they are not there please post in the thread, PM me or email me to yell at me. I'll be sending this link to the judges in the next day or so, so please have a look quickly!

Sorry this slideshow has taken a while to get together!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

The base, as well as all the Get Based Out entries that get submitted, is going into a separate mini-competition for judging at the end of the year. Did you mean to enter it into judging for July as well? That's not what was intended, I've read through the rules for GBO and I can see how that can be construed from the wording, but the intent is that you complete the base as an oath, meaning it's started and finished within one month. Sorry if that's the source of confusion or whatever. You had other models you completed, so those are in the judging for July.

If I understood you right and you thought the base is part of the judging for July, let me know and I'll edit the GBO rules slightly.

Ah I'm easy :) wasn't sure if I could oath a base purely for 'get based out' but also have it be an oath to be judged on for the month, if not, that's cool either way, like you say I have other models for judging anyway!

If I can have it in for July voting and still get it in 'get based out' then that's cool, but otherwise I'll go with whatever you say, you're the boss and all that :D

(did you see my post re: the brushes arriving? thanks again :D)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, oath the following:

Three GW Warhammer Fantasy Night Goblin Fanatics and one Night Goblin Shaman

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, sweet - I'll still edit the wording for that, I don't want it to cause more confusion down the road. It is meant to be judged only at the end of the season, not for the month and again at the end.

enri posted:

(did you see my post re: the brushes arriving? thanks again :D)

Yes I did, that's great :) I'd love to get pictures of people enjoying their various prizes to send off to the sponsors (especially since this forum and all the links I could send them are behind a paywall, which makes it hard to get sponsors!), but that's just a 'nice to have'. If anyone does want to send me pics (not necessarily to the thread, but to me so I can forward them to the sponsors) that would be great: krushgroove169 at gmail

Also, that reminds me:

:siren: attention Dragonforge prize winners! :siren:

The owner contacted me a couple of days ago and said that he's sent out all the prize winners from this iteration of the Oath Thread, so look forward to getting your prizes soon. He also told me that there are prizes from the LAST Oath Thread that have yet to be sent out, so if you're still waiting on yours, please be patient. If you haven't gotten anything in the next couple of months (I know that's a long time to wait) let me know and me and TWLM will try to figure out who's still owed stuff and get it sorted out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

:siren: Everyone else who submitted Oath Complete photos :siren:
Please have a look here https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE and find your photos - if they are not there please post in the thread, PM me or email me to yell at me. I'll be sending this link to the judges in the next day or so, so please have a look quickly!

Sorry this slideshow has taken a while to get together!

I could be being blind, but I don't see mine in there (it's not like I'm expecting to win poo poo from judging anyway with my terrible photos and equally terrible painting, but for equity's sake...)

They're here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=174545#post417912248

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I didn't see it in there, but again this was one that I'd copied to my computer to upload, but it didn't get uploaded for whatever reason. Plus, there are a few repeats of Red Shoe's and Slimnoid's stuff that I can't delete and I'll have to ask the judges to ignore. Blah! I may have to try Flickr for albums, I've been meaning to anyway. Anyway, yours is now in there, I swear.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Line Kazak from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 Mega Nob from Games Workshop :siren:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, am making a small oath addition of 3 Fantasy Football Skeletons from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis:siren:

How small are these buggers? For 28mm minis, pretty drat small! They are like undead grots and I love them.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 12, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Okay, this is annoying. I actually spent a good hour before posting going back and looking for old Whales posts to make sure I was getting the format right, and reading the OP. The in-jokey category names make it quite hard to get up to speed on just how this thread works. I know my goodwill is not needed to run the thread, but please take note of the kind of trouble new arrivals get into.

I am going to grit my teeth and try again this month.

OK, I definitely wasn't clear enough and I appreciate your frustration. This is working the same as it did last year, so probably some folks just already know what to do, and I know the OPs are long and there's a lot of stuff there.

The crux of the Savin' da Whales contest is to reward folks for completing oaths they started, but failed, during this year's thread. In order to save me from having to do a research project every time someone does that, we ask you to make a formal post that calls out what you intend to do (rescue a failed oath), and links to that failed oath (so it's easy to confirm that these are indeed models you started this year). We even have a judge whose job it is to confirm these oath posts.

So: It's not too late to get credit for those miniatures as Saved Whales. The thing is, you can save failed oath miniatures in any state, even completed. So what I need you to do is post an Oath to Save da Whales with your minis, take photos of them, and link to the original oath that was failed.

Then (in the same post if you like), declare the oath Complete.

Sole.Sushi will confirm your post, I'll put the links in the spreadsheet, and you'll get full credit.

I realize I'm asking you to jump through hoops to get credit for a drawing for a prize, and that may be tedious. But I'm trying to be fair to everyone else who also jumps through the same hoops by not just suspending the process for random people. I hope you can understand why I'd take a harder line on that.

Gomo
Mar 26, 2012
:frogsiren: Oath Complete :frogsiren:

Some of the weathering.. Soot on flamer and rust on bionic joint left hip:

Now off to the honeymoon. Hope you guys have a great month can't wait to get back and see all the completed oaths.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Gomo posted:

:frogsiren: Oath Complete :frogsiren:

Some of the weathering.. Soot on flamer and rust on bionic joint left hip:

Now off to the honeymoon. Hope you guys have a great month can't wait to get back and see all the completed oaths.

Enjoy the break from painting, great job on the new Iron Warrior scheme. Looks really good on the table too.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I oath a raysat from infinity (corvus beli)

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 12, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I haven't forgotten about the quarterly conversion prize!

This month started with both my wife's birthday, leading right into my wedding anniversary so I've been crazy busy.

Getting to go through this MOUNTAIN of photos this week!

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
new hose for my airbrush is yet to arrive :(

Lets hope it gets here soon so I can get my oath done

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Signal posted:

Let's get this poo poo started...

:siren: I, Signal, do oath the following for the month of August: :siren:

I do add to my oath one Kell Bailoch in 28mm by Privateer Press, and two Bombers, six Torpedo Boat bases, and ten tiny flyer tokens for Dystopian Wars/Spartan Games (In 1:1200 scale)

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Chance II additionally oath one Corvis Belli Gao Tarsos from Infinity, one converted Sylys Wyshnallyr from Privateer Press, and one Metal Slug from who the hell knows for the month of August.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oathing for August: Wyrd Miniatures Ama no Zako from Malifaux and three Puppet Wars models Seamus, Lady Justice, and Pokey Vik

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chance II posted:

Chance II additionally oath one Corvis Belli Gao Tarsos from Infinity, one converted Sylys Wyshnallyr from Privateer Press, and one Metal Slug from who the hell knows for the month of August.
I need to know where this metal slug mini is from.

VVV: Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 14, 2013

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Pierzak posted:

I need to know where this metal slug mini is from.

I got mine from Hong Kong a couple years ago but you can find the set on Amazon for pretty cheap typing "metal slug model" or the like. There are two styles of Slug, a Jet, and a camel and each comes with an on foot character from the game.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oh man...
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Slug-A-...etal+slug+model

$17.99 + $5.99 shipping

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Holy crap. Can't believe they even came out with the camel for that!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:siren:Oath Complete!:frogsiren:

And with the rest of his friends:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add a Freebooter, 6 Gun Mages, a Gun Mage Officer, and a Gun Mage Captain Adept to my August oath :siren:
These are Privateer Press models.

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 14, 2013

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I am wondering if you can cancel an oath before its been approved? I submitted my oath about a week and a half ago, it had a blur in the picture it so it wasn't approved. I took another photo and have been waiting for it to be approved and make sure everything is cool before I start working on it. It is getting to the point where I am not sure if I will have enough time to get it done because I am moving in a few days. Unless I get the thumbs up to start working on it soon I am not sure I will be able to fulfill my Oath.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You don't have to wait for approval to get started painting - Sole.Sushi isn't able to come into the thread every day, so just crack on :)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So I am trying out the "salt" weathering thing for the first time and it looks pretty decent, until overnight when the remaining salty residue frosted over and looks all white and splotchy (which would look like authentic rusting is not for the fact the model is tiny and the splotches massive). Any tips to reduce this for anyone who has tried this before.

Also realize now my rust color and my tank color are way to similar, so will need to figure a way of making it pop more anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bhsman posted:

:siren:Oath Complete!:frogsiren:

And with the rest of his friends:

Cool man, but hey, did you do the theme this month? I can see some color on the kneepads, but maybe that's just highlighting... Also, if you put your name in your photo that's worth a point.

• Locked thread