Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

carnivaljunkie posted:

I'll just throw in my two cents here. I haven't seen Miracle all the way through so I'm not entirely sure on the context of the quote. But regardless, I never see anything wrong with using "up" even if it isn't geographically accurate. That's most likely due to the fact that I'm from the south, so most of my life, things were "up" to me and it stuck. I moved to Ohio for a while and would refer to my family being "up in Tennessee still". It just becomes habit. Didn't realize it bugged people so much though!

It's because of the tendency of Hollywood screenwriters to consistently write every character as if they're from either New York or California, even when they're not supposed to be. People tend to be oversensitive about regional accuracy because of this, as most movies care very little about an honest treatment of their setting.

Tiggum posted:

Every movie where Santa Claus unexpectedly turns out to be real. If none of the adults believed in him, where did they think all the presents were coming from? Also, every movie where supernatural stuff just happens all the time but no one believes in it. How does it go completely unnoticed by almost everyone for thousands of years?

Santa Clause is literally a spirit and can twist the minds of parents, causing them to purchase better gifts than they would have without the unseen mover of the season whispering in their ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Pixeltendo posted:

The other for me is the entirety of the tooth fairy, how can no one believe her if the parents are obviously not the ones putting the coins under the pillow? doesn't it kind of prove the existence of her?

I think the sleigh bell in The Uncanny ValleyPolar Express covers this stuff under a blanket rule. Outside of the protagonist, even kids that get on the train and literally meet Santa eventually stop hearing the bell and stop believing in magic. It's a common theme in these kinds of stories. I think one of the kids from the Chronicles of Narnia doesn't show up in the finale because she grew up and decided that all of the magic closet stuff was just a game she used to play with her little sister. As people get older and are faced with real world problems they lose that little part of them that makes them believe in impossible things. So when you see it you just kind of rationalize it away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Razorwired posted:

I think the sleigh bell in The Uncanny ValleyPolar Express covers this stuff under a blanket rule. Outside of the protagonist, even kids that get on the train and literally meet Santa eventually stop hearing the bell and stop believing in magic. It's a common theme in these kinds of stories. I think one of the kids from the Chronicles of Narnia doesn't show up in the finale because she grew up and decided that all of the magic closet stuff was just a game she used to play with her little sister. As people get older and are faced with real world problems they lose that little part of them that makes them believe in impossible things. So when you see it you just kind of rationalize it away.

It was the older girl, Susan, and CS Lewis got some crap for it because Susan stopped believing in Aslan and was doing silly girl things, like buying makeup and dressing up for boys and other whorey things. I think the book mentioned that the rest of the family really died in a car accident and she was the sole survivor, but either way, I remember reading the last book and going dude, loving cold. Because I sure as poo poo don't remember what I did when I was 17 or 15 or however old she was, and what person WOULD think them going through a magic closet was real?

Me, I always thought it was crap there was an age limit to Narnia. At the end of the first book, weren't the two older siblings told that they couldn't come back because they were too old? Never knew Narnia was the loving Neverland Ranch.

The Discworld covered it nicely with the character Death: children see him clearly as a tall skeleton, but as humans age, their brain frantically covers up the magic poo poo because they can't cope with it. Only cats and the magically inclined can see Death, or at least see Death when they expect to.

Here's a q, after watching Wreck-It Ralph three times this weekend (it was that or Bubble Guppies), but after he got his and the new racing game unplugged, where precisely was Turbo? It's not like Game Central Station is that huge and Turbo was pretty notorious, so I doubt any other game would give him a place to hide out.

It was a throwaway line, but I did like how, after Ralph disappeared, the characters in his game were freaking out, but Felix said not to worry, he'd probably just fallen asleep at Tapper's again. Indicating that more than once Ralph hadn't been in his game when 'on' hours were on, and clearly a problem was building.

Was there a precise reason we saw Sonic and Robotnik, and Koopa, but no Mario or other Mario characters?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

It was the older girl, Susan, and CS Lewis got some crap for it because Susan stopped believing in Aslan and was doing silly girl things, like buying makeup and dressing up for boys and other whorey things. I think the book mentioned that the rest of the family really died in a car accident and she was the sole survivor, but either way, I remember reading the last book and going dude, loving cold. Because I sure as poo poo don't remember what I did when I was 17 or 15 or however old she was, and what person WOULD think them going through a magic closet was real?

Me, I always thought it was crap there was an age limit to Narnia. At the end of the first book, weren't the two older siblings told that they couldn't come back because they were too old? Never knew Narnia was the loving Neverland Ranch.

Neil Gaiman had an excellent take on The Problem of Susan even though he's both a fan and a critic of Lewis (slightly NWS for :words: no pics.)

Alas, there is no way in hell they're getting to the seventh (or fifth for that matter) Narnia movie because it's anti-Muslim as all... oh wait no they probably will.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Discworld covered it nicely with the character Death: children see him clearly as a tall skeleton, but as humans age, their brain frantically covers up the magic poo poo because they can't cope with it. Only cats and the magically inclined can see Death, or at least see Death when they expect to.

Here's a q, after watching Wreck-It Ralph three times this weekend (it was that or Bubble Guppies), but after he got his and the new racing game unplugged, where precisely was Turbo? It's not like Game Central Station is that huge and Turbo was pretty notorious, so I doubt any other game would give him a place to hide out.

It was a throwaway line, but I did like how, after Ralph disappeared, the characters in his game were freaking out, but Felix said not to worry, he'd probably just fallen asleep at Tapper's again. Indicating that more than once Ralph hadn't been in his game when 'on' hours were on, and clearly a problem was building.

Was there a precise reason we saw Sonic and Robotnik, and Koopa, but no Mario or other Mario characters?

Mario probably wasn't in it because he's Nintendo's flagship mascot and they didn't want him to be seen as just a cameo or play second fiddle to Ralph.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Neil Gaiman had an excellent take on The Problem of Susan even though he's both a fan and a critic of Lewis (slightly NWS for :words: no pics.)

Can someone explain to me what in the grand hells I just read?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Me, I always thought it was crap there was an age limit to Narnia. At the end of the first book, weren't the two older siblings told that they couldn't come back because they were too old?

The second, actually. After The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe they all come back for Prince Caspian but then Peter and Susan are deemed too old and only Edmund and Lucy come back (with Eustace) in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Then Eustace comes back (with Jill) in The Silver Chair, and finally Eustace and Jill go back to Narnia and everyone gets to go to heaven except for Susan in The Last battle.

syscall girl posted:

Alas, there is no way in hell they're getting to the seventh (or fifth for that matter) Narnia movie because it's anti-Muslim as all... oh wait no they probably will.

Prince Caspian is pretty bad too. Basically every country except Narnia (Christian England) is evil, and the reason Narnia needs rescuing in that book is because it's been conquered by one of those other nations. They got around it in the BBC adaptations by just making all the characters, good or bad, English.

LeJackal posted:

Can someone explain to me what in the grand hells I just read?

Yeah, I didn't get that either. At the start I thought the main character was Susan but then it turns out that the Narnia books exist in that story and she's some other Susan whose life has some (coincidental?) parallels to the fictional Susan or something? I don't know.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

The creators of the movie didn't want Mario just to be a mere cameo character so they left him out, dunno why they still couldn't use other characters or the fuggin Donkey kong arcade machine.

But thats ok little kids will probably confuse Tapper for Mario.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lap-Lem posted:

From the new movie RED 2 not really a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway since some people don't want to know anything about new movies.

There is a bit of Chekov's Gun fuckery, at one point the Russian dude gives our intrepid heroes poison pills, it's a scene that takes almost a minute where he talks on and on about the pills. Then, the pills are never brought up again. We kept waiting for them to get shoved into a bad guys mouth or something, or even a sight gag referencing them but no. It was strange how much that little bit pulled you out, and made you say, "What was the deal with that?" when walking out of the theatre. I never thought it would make that big of a difference, but there was something in the way it was presented.

Chekov's blue balls.

I thought the same thing. Weird, but it kinda had the feeling there might be a deleted scene that went into greater detail.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pixeltendo posted:

The creators of the movie didn't want Mario just to be a mere cameo character so they left him out, dunno why they still couldn't use other characters or the fuggin Donkey kong arcade machine.

But thats ok little kids will probably confuse Tapper for Mario.

No way dude, more kids probably recognize Mario than their grandparents by this point.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

RyokoTK posted:

No way dude, more kids probably recognize Mario than their grandparents by this point.

I think Pixeltendo was trying to say that kids would assume that Tapper is "supposed to be" Mario or something, since most kids would have no idea that Tapper is actually A Thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
After the debacle of the Super Mario movie, too, I think Nintendo has been pretty stand-offish of letting any of their properties be dealt with by Hollywood, again.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also she doesn't get to go to heaven for being a blasphemous Jezebel with her makeup and boyfriends. CS Lewis was loving loopy, if they had had the internet back then he probably would put Orson Scott Card to shame in terms of sheer :freep: output.

quote:

From the very beginning of the movie Ralph makes it clear that for quite a while he's been increasingly dissatisfied with his job and the lack of respect it brings him. I figure him getting irresponsibly drunk to the point of passing out in the bathroom at Tapper's and being late for work had been one of the ways that that discontent was manifesting itself before he finally blew up during the anniversary celebration, especially considering the really strong parallels between BadAnon and Alcoholics Anonymous.

As for Mario, the people who wrote the movie said that they just didn't have a place to fit him. He's such a big character that a cameo would be distracting and there really wasn't any place in the movie where a bigger role would fit. Honestly, I was pretty glad that the real game characters were limited to small cameos and throw-away gags instead of huge, obvious pop culture references.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Another issue could be that Mario is more popular from home gaming systems than arcade machines, as are many of the other Nintendo properties. I know he has arcade games, though.

I know the Sonic bit was probably stretching it for that venue, too, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple of fairly hyped Sonic-themed arcade games in the 90s despite his popularity stemming from consoles.

Also, I guess with Mario, though, they could have worked out a quick shot where he and Luigi could be hanging out at Tapper's or something and talking about "Hey, can you switch with me over at Donkey Kong, Jr. for a few days..."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also she doesn't get to go to heaven for being a blasphemous Jezebel with her makeup and boyfriends. CS Lewis was loving loopy, if they had had the internet back then he probably would put Orson Scott Card to shame in terms of sheer :freep: output.

From the very beginning of the movie Ralph makes it clear that for quite a while he's been increasingly dissatisfied with his job and the lack of respect it brings him. I figure him getting irresponsibly drunk to the point of passing out in the bathroom at Tapper's and being late for work had been one of the ways that that discontent was manifesting itself before he finally blew up during the anniversary celebration, especially considering the really strong parallels between BadAnon and Alcoholics Anonymous.

As for Mario, the people who wrote the movie said that they just didn't have a place to fit him. He's such a big character that a cameo would be distracting and there really wasn't any place in the movie where a bigger role would fit. Honestly, I was pretty glad that the real game characters were limited to small cameos and throw-away gags instead of huge, obvious pop culture references.

I wasn't really that interested in seeing Wreckit Ralph before but hearing that he frequented a bar called Tapper's has put it on my bucket list.

The original Tapper game featured a Budweiser logo and was a bar game and the idea of an adult with adult reflexes plus alcohol and poor impulse control makes me imagine it was a huge quarter eater. Root Beer Tapper was hard as hell when I was a teenager, although I like to imagine they amped it up a bit from the barley pop version.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's a big thing the writers did that made the movie awesome too. Koopa doesn't even have any lines, and the lines from the other bad guys are pretty small. Same with the Streetfighter good guys and really everyone else. I think Sonic had the most lines as a 'good guy' from an outside game, and probably the PacMan ghost for the bad guys? Either way they were all supporting background characters.

It still would have been funny if Mario popped in after Ralph tore out after the anniversary party, because as Felix says, Mario is always late.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's a big thing the writers did that made the movie awesome too. Koopa doesn't even have any lines, and the lines from the other bad guys are pretty small. Same with the Streetfighter good guys and really everyone else. I think Sonic had the most lines as a 'good guy' from an outside game, and probably the PacMan ghost for the bad guys? Either way they were all supporting background characters.

Q*Bert got a significant scene and quite a bit of dialogue, even if it was all in Q*Bertese.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Lap-Lem posted:

From the new movie RED 2 not really a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway since some people don't want to know anything about new movies.

There is a bit of Chekov's Gun fuckery, at one point the Russian dude gives our intrepid heroes poison pills, it's a scene that takes almost a minute where he talks on and on about the pills. Then, the pills are never brought up again. We kept waiting for them to get shoved into a bad guys mouth or something, or even a sight gag referencing them but no. It was strange how much that little bit pulled you out, and made you say, "What was the deal with that?" when walking out of the theatre. I never thought it would make that big of a difference, but there was something in the way it was presented.

I felt it was a plot device to show how "serious" their situation was in Russia, and how it would be better for them to die than to be taken alive. I also thought they would bring it up later where they would be cornered and about to take the pills and surprise last minute rescue.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Elysium:In the first part of the movie when the shuttles were heading towards the space station there was garbage floating around like in zero gravity EXCEPT that the shuttles were accelerating, so gravity would have been oriented towards the rear of the shuttle.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think they said that Nintendo was incredibly strict in what ways they could use their characters and they opted not to use them.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

KoB posted:

I think they said that Nintendo was incredibly strict in what ways they could use their characters and they opted not to use them.

No, the film-makers specifically said they couldn't find a good spot for him. They had permission.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poldarn posted:

Elysium:In the first part of the movie when the shuttles were heading towards the space station there was garbage floating around like in zero gravity EXCEPT that the shuttles were accelerating, so gravity would have been oriented towards the rear of the shuttle.

The thing that bugged me about that scene was they shot down the shuttles spraying the station with a bunch of junk which is a terrible idea to do in space.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In general, there seems to be a problem with the idea that "blowing something up" in space doesn't get rid of the rubble.

Deep Impact did something similar where they blew up the comet stupidly close to Earth, which still should've killed everybody because all the mass of the comet is still there and still going to smack us.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Byzantine posted:

In general, there seems to be a problem with the idea that "blowing something up" in space doesn't get rid of the rubble.

The problem's more general: nobody has a good handle on how inertia works. The shuttles are on a course to land on this giant space station, and they're moving really fast relative to it. So what happens if the engines break at that point and the shuttle can't slow down? Boom. So putting shuttles into orbits that intersect the station at high relative velocities would never be allowed, if you want to approach the thing first you'd match orbits and then slowly approach, and a real station of that size would be equipped to thoroughly pulverize anything violating those rules, because the thing's too damned big to just change its orbit on a dime to avoid things like crippled shuttles or debris.

It'd be like us allowing landing patterns at Dulles or Reagan that overfly the White House by a couple of dozen feet. Anyone trying that would be shot the hell down and everyone would understand why.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
How about the fact you can fly straight into Elysium's atmosphere? The people there must be in constant fear of space debris just flattening them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My favorite bit of sci-fi realism nitpicking is always estimating the amount of energy a spaceship would release if it accidentally or intentionally crashed into a planet or something. And the whole formulation that engines and weapons are essentially the same thing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cream_Filling posted:

My favorite bit of sci-fi realism nitpicking is always estimating the amount of energy a spaceship would release if it accidentally or intentionally crashed into a planet or something. And the whole formulation that engines and weapons are essentially the same thing.

My sci fi nitpick has to do with laser colors. Do space armies have a pre war meeting and decide on who gets the red lasers and who gets the green lasers? I have no idea if it's scientiffacly possible, but could you have black lasers ? Also, why aren't more spaceships colored black? It would make it alot harder for other ships to see you in space.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(1) Lasers don't actually have visible beams in a vacuum. When you see a visible laser beam it's because it's scattering off of dust in the air. (Extremely high-power lasers can cause the air in their path to ionize and glow, but it universally looks bluish like the color of an electric arc).

(2) You can't have a "black" laser, but you can certainly have a laser that operates outside the visible spectrum. Indeed, the most destructive lasers today tend to emit infrared or ultraviolet light, and the highest-power lasers ever designed (using a nuclear bomb as a power source) emit gamma rays. The energy output of any of those systems would be invisible in a vacuum.

(3) Lots of "lasers" in science fiction are characterized at some point as "plasma blasts" or the like -- a burst of ionized gas that's fired out of a gun lie a bullet. This explains why they seem to travel slower than the speed of light in discrete bursts. Different gases when ionized create different colors (eg. neon makes that familiar reddish-orange color; magnesium vapor will make a green discharge). It's plausible that space armies just pick different tracer gases to use in their plasma cannons so that they know who's firing. Warsaw pact tracer bullets are green and NATO tracer bullets are generally red, for instance.

(4) There are enormous articles written about this, but basically color in space makes no difference to how visible you are because your ship is a massive radiator pumping out millions of watts of waste heat, raising your temperature far above the spatial background. Anyone with the most primitive image sensor will see you as if you were a million-watt light bulb. The only way to be invisible is to store all of that heat internally and insulate your hull so that it cools to the background temperature, but that will eventually cook your crew alive if you don't find a place to stop and deploy radiators for a couple of days, dump the red-hot coolant overboard, etc.

Is there a much much bigger version of :spergin:?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It's an older code sir, but it checks out. I was about to clear them...

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

(3) It's plausible that space armies just pick different tracer gases to use in their plasma cannons so that they know who's firing. Warsaw pact tracer bullets are green and NATO tracer bullets are generally red, for instance.

I know that in Star Wars at least different colors mark different types or levels of armament. The snub fighters and corvette's red 'turbolasers' are apparently faster-firing and lower powered than the capital ship-grade green 'heavy turbolasers' batteries. Blue is for ion bolts and stunners, both disruptive ionized charges.

I think G.I. Joe might be the only one with team-colored lasers.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Animorphs kind of explains the bad guy lasers looking different from good guy lasers by saying that the bad guy lasers are on a lower frequency so they slowly burn people alive instead of instantly disintegrating them.

I am not sure they were actually lasers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Deep Impact did something similar where they blew up the comet stupidly close to Earth, which still should've killed everybody because all the mass of the comet is still there and still going to smack us.

Try this interesting experiment. Freeze a bucket of water. While it freezes solid, get a friend to climb a stepladder and pour 200 ice cubes over your head from a height of ten feet. Then, get him to repeat the process with the solid chunk of ice in the bucket.

If you survive, you will have learned a lot about physics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or for an even better example of what's going on, go and sit underwater on the bottom of a pool underneath the diving board. Have your friend go onto the diving board and pour 30 pounds of gravel into the pool over your head. Then have him drop a single 30-pound cinder block into the same general area. The differences may astound you!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

No no, for a really good comparison, have your friend shoot you in the torso with a 12 gauge slug, and then a load of buckshot. You will notice that in both cases you are dead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Irrationally Irritating Assisted Murder Moments

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LeJackal posted:

I know that in Star Wars at least different colors mark different types or levels of armament. The snub fighters and corvette's red 'turbolasers' are apparently faster-firing and lower powered than the capital ship-grade green 'heavy turbolasers' batteries. Blue is for ion bolts and stunners, both disruptive ionized charges.

I think G.I. Joe might be the only one with team-colored lasers.

That's not accurate, the rebels all use red weapons while the empire uses green. Even TIE Fighters use green so it has nothing to do with the power level.

Blasters always use red though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

(2) You can't have a "black" laser, but you can certainly have a laser that operates outside the visible spectrum. Indeed, the most destructive lasers today tend to emit infrared or ultraviolet light, and the highest-power lasers ever designed (using a nuclear bomb as a power source) emit gamma rays. The energy output of any of those systems would be invisible in a vacuum.

Nah. We tried to do x-ray lasers during SDI, and they were pumped with a nuclear bomb, but they never worked, they never even lased a little bit. Gamma ray lasers are a sci-fi thing we basically have no idea how do to at all because while x-rays come from electron transitions, gamma rays are the result of nuclear transitions and so far as we can tell there aren't any nuclear isomers that would let us excite them into a population inversion and then trigger decay at all.

quote:

God I hope not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

No no, for a really good comparison, have your friend shoot you in the torso with a 12 gauge slug, and then a load of buckshot. You will notice that in both cases you are dead.

You appear to be suffering from a severe case of being wrong.

The point of these examples is that a whole lot of little rocks hitting the atmosphere is nowhere near as bad as one big one. Anyone who watched the Leonids last night will be able to tell you that; their total mass might be enough to cause an ELE if it all came at once, but instead we get a light show because the greater ratio of surface area to mass means the rocks burn up before they hit the ground or are deflected. A lot of the mass that does reach the ground also lands in water, reducing the effect still further.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jedit posted:

You appear to be suffering from a severe case of being wrong.

The point of these examples is that a whole lot of little rocks hitting the atmosphere is nowhere near as bad as one big one.

We were talking about a space station, not the atmosphere. Or at least, I thought we were. The scene in Elysium has two shuttles on a course to land on Elysium when they get blown to pieces. That means the pieces are still on a course to collide with Elysium which means bad things. A whole lot of little pieces of metal hitting a space station at 15,000mph is just as bad at least and likely worse than one big piece of metal hitting a space station at 15,000mph.

quote:

Anyone who watched the Leonids last night will be able to tell you that; their total mass might be enough to cause an ELE if it all came at once, but instead we get a light show because the greater ratio of surface area to mass means the rocks burn up before they hit the ground or are deflected.

The energy is being liberated harmlessly in the upper atmosphere rather than the ground, but it's still the same amount of energy being liberated in either case. If there's no upper atmosphere to act as a shield, you are equally hosed; the space shuttle almost suffered disaster once because of a fleck of paint. Since it was, you know, the space shuttle, and not a planet and didn't have a giant insulating blanket of atmosphere a very tiny mass with a relative velocity of around 30,000mph almost penetrated a window, which could have killed the crew. To take things to an ultimate limit, if you had a large-enough asteroid that was going to collide with the earth, and you didn't change its trajectory at all but instead imparted enough energy to pulverize it down to Leonid-meteorite-size dust, that would *still* destroy most life on earth because the energy release in the upper atmosphere would be enough to set everything combustible in that hemisphere on fire, and there'd be a shock wave big enough to flatten everything standing. I don't feel like sperging hard enough to do the math to see if the Deep Impact comet was that big, but if the thing's 7 miles wide and coming in fast enough that we don't want it to hit, having it all burn up in the atmosphere is still going to be pretty destructive.

Those examples in other words are a representation of common intuition about slow objects at small scales, not how things work in orbit. So they're not good examples. If you're in orbit and you encounter a 1-lb solid rock moving in an opposing orbit or 1-lb of gravel moving in an opposing orbit, the outcome's the same: you're dead. Which is why the ISS semi-routinely makes orbital maneuvers to avoid even coming close to a small piece of debris.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Sagebrush posted:

(4) There are enormous articles written about this, but basically color in space makes no difference to how visible you are because your ship is a massive radiator pumping out millions of watts of waste heat, raising your temperature far above the spatial background. Anyone with the most primitive image sensor will see you as if you were a million-watt light bulb. The only way to be invisible is to store all of that heat internally and insulate your hull so that it cools to the background temperature, but that will eventually cook your crew alive if you don't find a place to stop and deploy radiators for a couple of days, dump the red-hot coolant overboard, etc.

Well you could get your heat out away from where the person you are hiding from is. Facing them, isolating the front and radiating out the rear end.

• Locked thread