Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

If you like LoN weapon ornaments and poo poo (some) people are unloading them for peanuts today for new expansion booster packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
So I'm checking out EQ from the EQnext thread. I have Seeds of Destruction on steam that I never installed/claimed any sort of serial code for. Do I get anything special for having a retail copy? Is there any way I can convert this to p1999?

I also have two entries in steam one for SoD and another for Secrets of Faydwer, what gives?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Revener posted:

So I'm checking out EQ from the EQnext thread. I have Seeds of Destruction on steam that I never installed/claimed any sort of serial code for. Do I get anything special for having a retail copy? Is there any way I can convert this to p1999?

Anything special? I dunno, doubt it. Maybe some vet rewards if it's old enough if you activated your account. It might still come with a free month sub?

As for P99, no. Follow the install instructions on their site, find Titanium somewhere.

Revener posted:

I also have two entries in steam one for SoD and another for Secrets of Faydwer, what gives?

No clue.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Dear AFKer in WoS,
Sorry, I realized you were a goon about 30 seconds after we were laughing about me training a poor bastard for AFKing in the spot another goon wanted. On the plus side, I got a great few screenshots of me in ridiculous rainbow colored gear teabagging your corpse, so it was a net positive.

Sincerely,
Kodaji

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I wiped there while I was AFK leveling at some point last night. I was at the hallway closest to the MPG zone-line. If it was you that trained me, I WILL gently caress YOU UP.

Just kidding, you're a cool dude. You've helped me plenty of times. Also I lost like 6% of a level in a 13 year old game that I can level up while not playing, so who cares :)

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Playing a bit on test to pass some time. Anyone want to PL me a bit or help me out in some cool way? 66 sk

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Some time ago, someone posted a list or a link to useful clickies. I can't seem to find it though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and able to post the link?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm currently working my way through level 54 and the only tasks I've been doing are the hotzone tasks for gear. At what point are there other tasks I should look at doing that are worth the effort ?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

RCarr posted:

I wiped there while I was AFK leveling at some point last night. I was at the hallway closest to the MPG zone-line. If it was you that trained me, I WILL gently caress YOU UP.

Just kidding, you're a cool dude. You've helped me plenty of times. Also I lost like 6% of a level in a 13 year old game that I can level up while not playing, so who cares :)

Naw I am pretty sure it was the guy who posted the guides about AFKing there. I realized as I was taking the teabag screenshots that his guild tag matched the blog URL he puts his guides on :3:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Baconroll posted:

I'm currently working my way through level 54 and the only tasks I've been doing are the hotzone tasks for gear. At what point are there other tasks I should look at doing that are worth the effort ?
It's pretty much not worth questing, except for hot zone tasks, until lvl 80+ in House of Thule content. There, you can combine simple tasks with mob killing/collecting for pretty good XP. You can also do meaningful missions (requires 3+ people, mercenaries count).

Along the way there are quests here and there rewarding clickies, illusion items, and very few usable items in modern context, but they require a ton of digging and luck to find. For example:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=52451 - charm augment
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4142 - spectre illusion mask
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=69937 - 12 slot bag

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

There's a quest arc in Sunrise hills that uses a bunch of pre-kunark quests, including the bard mail delivery ones. Rewards include a 20 slot bag, an illusion clickie, a item that changes the appearance of guild hall NPCs, and some house items/npcs.

The quest line starts with these http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5522 and includes most of the quests on this page http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zone.html?zstrat=746#Quests_Starting All the quests are easy enough to do at almost any level, mostly just requiring time and some faction.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Carl Seitan posted:

Some time ago, someone posted a list or a link to useful clickies. I can't seem to find it though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and able to post the link?

EQclickies used to be the go-to for that but I think it stopped being maintained/updated. https://www.raidloot.com will pull the same lists if you sort by the correct filters like your class and desired effects n stuff.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
WRT Quests:
MPG trials just had the lockout removed I think? Totally worth doing.
Some stuff in SoD(70+) is worth doing, mostly Tosk and Koraskian Warrens, but opening up higher levels of The Void allow you to get some upgraded spells that don't get replaced in later expansions (for some classes).

I'd recommend just staying out of TBS completely, but that might just be me.

Lotta stuff in HoT(85ish +) is cool as heck and worth doing, not necessarily for the item rewards, but for fun and trophies, and to unlock cool zones that have useful augs, even into RoF. I did every single progression quest while 3boxing, it was pretty fun and challenging. So I'm sure just probably as low as 2 actual players could knock them out together. It gives you something to break up the monotony of grinding, and gives you zones to level in that aren't the Grounds.

Every quest in RoF is worth doing. You get massive XP, some have nice item rewards just from the quest. Doing all the mercenary quests and group missions in a zone gives you a tribute trophy, and most of the achievements give you tons of AA.

Quests are just loving weird in this game for the most part. You have quests that are "kill this many dudes" and they give hardly anything for rewards. The Real Big Boy Arc Quests are long as gently caress, requiring dozens of hours of work. ie Skeletal Hand aug, Model XLII Spatial Temporal Oculus aug, Rallos Famaliar clicky, Timeshear, Iksar skeleton illusion, Shawl 2.0 . They take around the same time as an Epic (imo).

HoT, VoA, RoF fixed a little of that and gives you more rewards peicemeal, seems like to me anyways.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

darkhand posted:

I'd recommend just staying out of TBS completely, but that might just be me.

If you aren't rushing the levelling, the Jonas Dagmire hand aug is a decent quest chain with a drat good for it's level reward and a decent amount of xp as you chug around doing it.

AC10 Stats+10 H/M/E 135 req65

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=67072

10 Loyalty points for the doubloons will save you buggering about with faction.

Edit: Bah, I see you did briefly mention it later on but still, worth pointing out imho for the people not sprinting to 85-100 or so.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 14, 2013

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Doing the Oceangreen Hills quest lines gives an aug that's good even at level 100.
Doing the other quest lines in void zones have other similar good rewards. Fields of scale gives iksar illusion item, kithicor gives another aug, the warrens gives an ogre familiar that gives hp/mana buff that stacks with lots of things.
There are some clickie items available from the Old Man McKenzie classic dungeon missions, depending on your class. The conquest tab of the achievements menu has some of the similar kinds of quests listed in it, some of which still have good rewards.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

MrTheDevious posted:

Naw I am pretty sure it was the guy who posted the guides about AFKing there. I realized as I was taking the teabag screenshots that his guild tag matched the blog URL he puts his guides on :3:

Oh you little fucker. ROFL.

So that's the thanks I get ?!?!

Seriously, no big deal. In fact, feel free to post your pictures on my website in the Forums or wherever.

Can always use a good laugh.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Been having some interesting pet sheninigans on Test since the patch earlier in the week. Firstly when I logged in today, the pet I'd logged out with became hostile to me and I had to put it down. Weird, but ok. Then I summoned a new one, except something went seriously wrong - I think I ended up with someone else's pet? I'm level 73 using the level 71 pet summon (mage) but the pet appeared fully geared with some weird rainbow swords I've never seen before, and conned red to me. It was hitting for upwards of 1k on crits with a 1k proc as well. Doing about as much dps as the rest of the group put together. It could tank named mobs in Dragonscale Hills without even taking a scratch. I'm hoping when I get home tonight that it's still there!

On a Dragonscale Hills-related note - has anyone been there lately and seen Mad MX spawn? I camped one of the robot areas he's meant to spawn at for about 5 hours last night, saw probably twenty other named spawns (mostly Ton o' Tin, Fiddle D and Arachnotron) but he didn't spawn once. Are some named in SoF (or just that zone) just much rarer than others or is something potentially busted? My SK is still wearing his /testbuff mask and it makes me sad.

Medullah posted:

Why don't you buy the defiant mask in the PoK? :D

Where is that from - I only just came back and haven't played since PoR. Is that one of the loyalty vendor things?

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vulpes posted:

My SK is still wearing his /testbuff mask and it makes me sad.

Why don't you buy the defiant mask in the PoK? :D

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

It's next to the loyalty vendor, if you need some cash, just ask in the goon channel

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

darkhand posted:

It's next to the loyalty vendor, if you need some cash, just ask in the goon channel

Thanks. I probably will need some cash, at the moment I'm only earning enough to keep my mercs afloat and snap up the occasional cheap defiant piece from the bazaar.

Another random question - the named in SoF seem to have loot tables with paired almost identical items, one slightly better than the other. Is this just a case of 'there's a small chance of getting a slightly better version' or is something else going on? I thought at first that the loot must have been upgraded at some point, but both versions still drop.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 15, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pet thing's gonna be fixed soon. Actually had a Dev on Test early this morning who had me drop all my swarm pets on his face to reproduce the bug. Right now if you /ex with any pets up, they turn hostile to EVERYONE. We set up a ton of boobytrapped zoneins stocked with a bunch of mage/necro pets in noob zones earlier :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MrTheDevious posted:

Pet thing's gonna be fixed soon. Actually had a Dev on Test early this morning who had me drop all my swarm pets on his face to reproduce the bug. Right now if you /ex with any pets up, they turn hostile to EVERYONE. We set up a ton of boobytrapped zoneins stocked with a bunch of mage/necro pets in noob zones earlier :v:

Haha that brings back memories. On Rallos Zek, if you zoned with a mage pet in the early days, or attacked your own pet, the pet stayed and was aggro to everyone. My buddy was one of the first mages to get the 49 earth pet, and the first thing he did was gate at the Neriak bank. Necro pets would be indifferent, unless you attacked other undead nearby. I would always smack my pet then gate near the pyramid in Nektulos, come back and watch the hilarity as someone pulled a decaying skeleton just to have a high level pet come and dominate them.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Vulpes posted:

Another random question - the named in SoF seem to have loot tables with paired almost identical items, one slightly better than the other. Is this just a case of 'there's a small chance of getting a slightly better version' or is something else going on? I thought at first that the loot must have been upgraded at some point, but both versions still drop.

No there's two versions of almost every drop, one of them has an extra aug slot (type 3 iirc?) and as you mentioned slightly better stats as well. I don't remember both types dropping from the same mobs though, they typically had two different drops on their table. That's what I remember from Loping Plains and Dragonscale Hills, I did a ton of killing in those two places a couple of years ago on an SK. When it was an HZ Loping Plains was great xp and still isn't bad now.

The 65-75 gear is still pretty drat good for that level range, certainly better than the elab defiant and possibly elegant as well at least up to 75.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 15, 2013

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Defiant starts to get real lovely around 70ish compared to gear from expansions. It's still OKAY but if you find any 70+ gear, scoop it up because it's most likely better than defiant.

Also as mentioned, most 80+ mobs drop a non-type 3 and a type-3 mask. These...really don't matter too much until you're on tier or going to level lock to grind AA. Type 3 non-vis have better stats but that's not as good as having a type-3 aug slot in it, which is reserved for augs that buff your abilities/spells. I wouldn't bother looting a non-type 3 at 100 to be honest except on my bard since those type 3 suck rear end.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So I finally got around to fixing my computer(read: bought a new one) so I may once again join in on the Questing of the Evers if I get around to reinstalling. I'm like level 96 or something, I don't remember.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

So I notice my mercenary stays put if I have the puller role enabled. is there any way to make a hotkey to toggle that on and off, or some other way to easily manipulate my merc's movement?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Haha that brings back memories. On Rallos Zek, if you zoned with a mage pet in the early days, or attacked your own pet, the pet stayed and was aggro to everyone. My buddy was one of the first mages to get the 49 earth pet, and the first thing he did was gate at the Neriak bank. Necro pets would be indifferent, unless you attacked other undead nearby. I would always smack my pet then gate near the pyramid in Nektulos, come back and watch the hilarity as someone pulled a decaying skeleton just to have a high level pet come and dominate them.

This is basically the same bug only you don't even have to piss them off, they just beat you in the face. Me and a couple mages went around to all the pok books and dropped off em17 care packages earlier, then feasted on the tears.

I told the dev I was doing it and he thought it was hilarious :v:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
^^ Firstly that's hilarious. Almost as funny was the resident test General chat fuckwit Greattoad insisting all day yesterday that the pets weren't bugged and it was people using hacking software doing it...

Does the generous Goon who has sets of all the level 80 armour types still play? If he does I'd really appreciate a plate set please! I've been trying to source some level 80 warrior Ironhand armour and failing rather miserably, it looks like Armoursupersales or whatever he was called has disappeared. If not I'll keep spamming general and hope to get lucky!

I started back again a couple of days ago and two more returnee's popped up today so perhaps a mini revival is at hand. Or not :v: I'm on Snowjoke and mostly in the Hole atm aa'ing away.

Edit: Got confused, it's the 85 stuff you can trade the parts for, derp!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 17, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
We're up to 5 live people for our group now! Feels like a revival!

Tempted to go in on that BestBuy $15=3000 Sonybucks thing, Siren Sorceress and Blood Red Belikos are kinda tempting. Must resist.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

WetSpink posted:

We're up to 5 live people for our group now! Feels like a revival!

Tempted to go in on that BestBuy $15=3000 Sonybucks thing, Siren Sorceress and Blood Red Belikos are kinda tempting. Must resist.

mercenaries?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Illusions and other fun things from SC.

I buy my SC gamescards with plat, but you can't exactly do that on test server. But 2x SC days are pretty much the best time to buy some, so hop on it if you want SC.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vargs posted:

So I notice my mercenary stays put if I have the puller role enabled. is there any way to make a hotkey to toggle that on and off, or some other way to easily manipulate my merc's movement?
Quoting my own website:

quote:

Setting roles via the command line is done with the /grouproles command. To view the syntax for the command, type /grouproles without parameters:

/grouproles list -- Lists all the roles in the current group.
/grouproles set Name RoleID -- Sets the group member's role.
/grouproles unset Name RoleID -- Unsets the group member's role.
/grouproles roleset -- Lists the available role sets.
/grouproles roleset save Name -- Saves the current group's role set.
/grouproles roleset load Name -- Loads a previously saved group role set.
/grouproles roleset delete Name -- Deletes a previously saved group role set.

RoleID is an integer, and can be either 1 (Main Tank), 2 (Main Assist) or 3 (Puller). For example, to set the group member Zliz as Puller, use the following command:

/grouproles set Zliz 3
So, make a macro like this to switch Puller off/on quickly to fix a stuck merc:
code:
/grouproles unset Vargs 3
/grouproles set Vargs 3
If it doesn't work, try adding a little pause, like this:
code:
/pause 5, /grouproles unset Vargs 3
/grouproles set Vargs 3

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Awesome, thanks.

So there's no goon guild going on test right now? That's awfully disappointing.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Naw not really, we are too spread out in levels for the most part. If you're playing on test, just join the serverwide channel. People can help you with whatever, or starts groups, etc.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Any test goons able to copy over plat and a set of terror infused/abstruse darktouch for my SK? I'd appreciate the help

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Ruddha posted:

Any test goons able to copy over plat and a set of terror infused/abstruse darktouch for my SK? I'd appreciate the help

I have a partial set of the 85 req tier 1 VoA gear and a full set (visible and non visible) of 92 gear, but I've never put together an abstruse compliment on live to copy over just because there are more pieces and its more of a pain in the rear end. I have some bits and pieces of non visible 80 gear, though, and a pal/sk 80 1her. Let me know if you want any of that.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

Creative Bicycle posted:

I have a partial set of the 85 req tier 1 VoA gear and a full set (visible and non visible) of 92 gear, but I've never put together an abstruse compliment on live to copy over just because there are more pieces and its more of a pain in the rear end. I have some bits and pieces of non visible 80 gear, though, and a pal/sk 80 1her. Let me know if you want any of that.

I'd gladly grab er, whats your name in game?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
So I'm trying to FD split pull on my SK, and it's driving me nuts. I snare one mob of a pair, when they are both nearly at me I feign. Non-snared mob walks back and resets, snared mob stays. All according to plan, so far.

However, when I stand up, the snared mob instead of coming towards me, aggroes me but heads back to it's spawn point anyway, re-aggroing everything again. Even if I re-tag it with a spell, it steadfastly refuses to come towards me until it has gone all the way back to it's spawn point, at which point it turns aruond and comes back. This happens literally 100% of the time, in any zone I've tried it.

Am I not understanding something about the way this is supposed to work, or am I bugged somehow?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's just EQ's pathing. Run directly into melee range if there's room, otherwise just let them reset and try again if you're not somewhere you can use HA and bypass all the annoyance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Vulpes posted:

So I'm trying to FD split pull on my SK, and it's driving me nuts. I snare one mob of a pair, when they are both nearly at me I feign. Non-snared mob walks back and resets, snared mob stays. All according to plan, so far.

However, when I stand up, the snared mob instead of coming towards me, aggroes me but heads back to it's spawn point anyway, re-aggroing everything again. Even if I re-tag it with a spell, it steadfastly refuses to come towards me until it has gone all the way back to it's spawn point, at which point it turns aruond and comes back. This happens literally 100% of the time, in any zone I've tried it.

Am I not understanding something about the way this is supposed to work, or am I bugged somehow?

This is where the lovely extra target window comes into its own for an SK. You can tell the aggro has dropped from watching that. It's not great and it's a shoe-horn for a dodgy gameplay mechanic but at least you'll be able to predict when you can actually stand up and get the mob you want.

As far as Test goes, I can somewhat shoddily make plate level 80 armour patterns now (and maybe chain by extension? I will read up on that) for the abstruse stuff and have a full set of the no-drop items on a mule if anyone ever needs. I haven't touched tailoring as yet so if anyone wanted them converting to silk/leather they'd need to provide patterns for now.