Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Good point and thanks for elaborating Mikey. I definitely didn't consider that. As for my time frame from brewday/bottling I could have sworn one of the breweries I visited gave it 2-3 weeks from brewday to bottling. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also keep in mind that pumpkin beers probably have a longer "shelf life" versus other hoppier styles, so they won't necessarily be suffering for going out a month+ before the "season" starts.

E: pretty great autocorrect but "hoppier" is not "happier"

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The other night Barcade tapped a keg of a 7.5% sriracha blonde Harpoon brewed for them. I didn't go down to try it, but it's something I can *almost* see working, if its done just right.

Also, I stopped in a hole the in wall liquor store near where I'm working and they have a bunch of bottles of Firestone Walker XVI, DBA, and Sucaba for $15-20 each. I've got a Sucaba I'm sitting on already, are the others worth grabbing at the price?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Toebone posted:

The other night Barcade tapped a keg of a 7.5% sriracha blonde Harpoon brewed for them. I didn't go down to try it, but it's something I can *almost* see working, if its done just right.

Also, I stopped in a hole the in wall liquor store near where I'm working and they have a bunch of bottles of Firestone Walker XVI, DBA, and Sucaba for $15-20 each. I've got a Sucaba I'm sitting on already, are the others worth grabbing at the price?

Get more Sucaba. It's the best barleywine in the US (King Henry excepted, but that was a one-off). XVI is good but it's not nearly as good as XV was (though get one if you haven't had it). DDBA is a preference thing. If you can imagine liking a BA imperial ESB, go for it. I wasn't as into it but some of my friends were.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Toebone posted:

I was at Barcade and saw the Sriracha beer, but was enjoying the Local Option Blood Ov The Kings way too much to switch to something else.

Also tell me where this liquor store is so I can buy all of the Sucaba.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I was at Barcade and saw the Sriracha beer, but was enjoying the Local Option Blood Ov The Kings way too much to switch to something else.

Also tell me where this liquor store is so I can buy all of the Sucaba.

The Buy Rite on Rt 70 in Toms River

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Toebone posted:

The Buy Rite on Rt 70 in Toms River

I think some Buy Rites tend to have surprisingly good stuff on the shelves. The one on 130 in Cranbury looks like a shithole from the road but has hidden treasures as well.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

HatfulOfHollow posted:

buy all of the Sucaba

That's the long & short of it. Won't find a better off-the-shelf barleywine in this country.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

According to Sierra Nevada's twitter, they're shipping Narwhal out this week. Isn't it pretty early compared to last year? I'll still pick it up, since that poo poo is delicious.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It's about 90f out and humid. I'm sitting outdoors. I'm sipping a pumpking. It's actually quite enjoyable even in this weather. My pumpkin beer world is shaking.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Captain Shortbus posted:

According to Sierra Nevada's twitter, they're shipping Narwhal out this week. Isn't it pretty early compared to last year? I'll still pick it up, since that poo poo is delicious.

Looks like it's a month earlier than last year (August vs. September)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

I'm tempted to think that it's wheat related somehow. When I let my dad have some of the Seizoen Bretta he said 'weird, smells like bubblegum' :catstare:

Also please tell me that I did a good thing grabbing Upright 7 (4-7 were available iirc). As soon as I sober up a tad I think I'm going to investigate the Midnight Sun coffee porter...

Midnight Sun Arctic Rhino is a nice, dry coffee porter. Not particularly thick, lots of roasty bitterness. It was massively overcarbed, though, and had lots of great head retention. I think it took me ~15 mins to pour it and I still ended up swirling it in the bottle to release carbonation and drinking the final 3 fingers or so straight from the bottle.

Looks like I need to go back to Cascade today to swap the Strawberry that they gave me for the Manhattan NW that I paid for. Life's tough.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChickenArise posted:

I'm tempted to think that it's wheat related somehow. When I let my dad have some of the Seizoen Bretta he said 'weird, smells like bubblegum' :catstare:

The bubblegum would be from the yeast entirely. Some yeast strains give off bubblegum flavors and aromas when fermented at certain temperatures. Sierra Nevada's Ovila Saison has huge bubblegum aromas and flavors also. Probably the biggest presence outside of Apollo that I've had. I'd be willing to guess that the Seizoen Bretta and Ovila Saison both use the DuPont yeast strain.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Any of you have any opinions of Texas beers, I met the Real Ale guy and heard about how they have to physically take the roof off the brewery each time they install more tanks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

Looks like I need to go back to Cascade today to swap the Strawberry that they gave me for the Manhattan NW that I paid for. Life's tough.

i would be loading up on Vlad, personally

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

I did get a Vlad, but it didn't have an apparently-confusing label color. :homebrew:

I'm itching for any of my friends with a car to get back to me so I can ditch family and give them the finger. People are getting grumpy with this many people in a house. :aaaaa:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

It's about 90f out and humid. I'm sitting outdoors. I'm sipping a pumpking. It's actually quite enjoyable even in this weather. My pumpkin beer world is shaking.

Half the stuff we think of as seasonal or especially good for certain part of the year is all in our head really. Especially thirst quenching? Thirst quench with something other than beer then chug a barley wine. Warm you up boozey? The same mechanism that is making you feel warm will cool off your core temperature so chug that barley wine again.

But there is no good time of the year for pumpkin beer, sorry.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

I really want to try Tangerine Dream. And Elderberry. gently caress, all of them. Apricot and Kriek were both delicious.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Fallorn posted:

Any of you have any opinions of Texas beers

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I mentioned it in the thread but I really think the best hefes in the Western Hemisphere are all made in Texas.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Fallorn posted:

Any of you have any opinions of Texas beers, I met the Real Ale guy and heard about how they have to physically take the roof off the brewery each time they install more tanks.

Real Ale is the best brewery in Texas right now. Both consistent in their flagship and in the Mysterium Venum series. For current seasonals, their Hans Pils and Four Squared are stellar.

e: I would be shocked if Live Oak Hef and Icon Green aren't specifically what SH is talking about. I'm friends with the guy who brewed Icon Gold and I'm quite excited about that as well as the weizenbock/latest Bishop's Barrel 4 from St. Arnold. Now that I did mention a pilsner, that and Zoe are solid much go-to's. We just need a solid Berlinerweisse for the drat heat.

air- fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 13, 2013

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I mentioned it in the thread but I really think the best hefes in the Western Hemisphere are all made in Texas.

Which ones? Live Oak? Icon Green?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

crazyfish posted:

I really want to try Tangerine Dream. And Elderberry. gently caress, all of them. Apricot and Kriek were both delicious.

They were pretty low on Tangerine Dream and out of Elderberry when I last went in (a few days after Tangerine Dream was released.) Keep in mind that you can still get many of their beers online. I highly recommend picking up Figaro.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Troegs just posted an interesting tidbit on their blog.

http://blog.troegs.com/?p=1267

Apparently one of their scratch beers (number 34) was supposed to be a belgian double but it didn't turn out so they put it in barrels and let it sit to see what would happen. Fast forward 3 years (3 years!!!) and the beer has developed a bunch of interesting characteristics and is going to be the next in the splinter series.

Are there any other beers that have been barrel aged for that long? I can't think of any.

So it looks like I'll be driving out to Hershey again...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Apparently one of their scratch beers (number 34) was supposed to be a belgian double but it didn't turn out so they put it in barrels and let it sit to see what would happen. Fast forward 3 years (3 years!!!) and the beer has developed a bunch of interesting characteristics and is going to be the next in the splinter series.

Are there any other beers that have been barrel aged for that long? I can't think of any.

a gueuze is typically a blend of three, two, and one-year old lambics, and i'm pretty sure 3 Fonteinen uses four-year old lambic in one of their blends. Allagash FV 13 was aged for four years.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

a gueuze is typically a blend of three, two, and one-year old lambics, and i'm pretty sure 3 Fonteinen uses four-year old lambic in one of their blends. Allagash FV 13 was aged for four years.

Oh yeah. I don't know why I didn't immediately think of gueuze. I guess it just struck me as odd/intriguing to have a dubbel sitting in barrels for that long.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Having fresh Madagascar vanilla beans on hand is going to forever change how I drink beer. Central Waters bourbon barrel scotch ale with half a vanilla bean soaked in it for 15 minutes? Yes, please!

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
[quote="HatfulOfHollow" post="

So it looks like I'll be driving out to Hershey again...
[/quote]

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Quite a few lambics as mentioned before, and the most recent Jolly Pumpkin Grand Reserve was barrel aged for 37 months for example.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So Texas is getting Goose Island Juliet and Lolita, but also two that are unknown to me: Gillian (aka Scully) - a white pepper strawberry saison and Halia (aka Mae) - peach/Brett saison. What's with the name changes on these? The beers sound good, but I've been on such a Prairie kick lately... I could just keep on drinking 'Merica all day long.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Part of the Lovechild No. 3 blend was 6 years old.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

So Texas is getting Goose Island Juliet and Lolita, but also two that are unknown to me: Gillian (aka Scully) - a white pepper strawberry saison and Halia (aka Mae) - peach/Brett saison. What's with the name changes on these? The beers sound good, but I've been on such a Prairie kick lately... I could just keep on drinking 'Merica all day long.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm betting the original names were those beers when the Clybourn Brewpub originally released them. Names were changed for the large scale production/distribution.

Both sound loving amazing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

Part of the Lovechild No. 3 blend was 6 years old.

and the Bruery Anniversary beers each have some of the all the previous releases, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had Gillian right from the tank when Ubik gave us the GI brewery tour (:chord:), it was pretty good.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

and the Bruery Anniversary beers each have some of the all the previous releases, right?

Yep, those and any other solera-style beer.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Fun fact about Gillian (Scully) is that it is named after Gillian Anderson, who worked at Goose Island before she was famous. Straight from John Hall who was drunkenly rambling at Twisted Spoke over a couple of glasses of BCBS Coffee during the World Beer Cup/Chicago Craft Beer Week/Chicago Stone Release week.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BoredByThis posted:

Fun fact about Gillian (Scully) is that it is named after Gillian Anderson, who worked at Goose Island before she was famous. Straight from John Hall who was drunkenly rambling at Twisted Spoke over a couple of glasses of BCBS Coffee during the World Beer Cup/Chicago Craft Beer Week/Chicago Stone Release week.

Oh yeah, I got to finally go to Twisted Spoke while I was in town and I really enjoyed it. Good beer selection, good food, cool place. Dat tuna steak sandwich, goddamn.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

Oh yeah, I got to finally go to Twisted Spoke while I was in town and I really enjoyed it. Good beer selection, good food, cool place. Dat tuna steak sandwich, goddamn.

Their shrimp Po' Boy is the loving poo poo. Did you scope their "cellar?" They used to have a list published but it was never up to date so the only thing you can do is either ask (which few of the servers have any idea, nor do many of the bartenders) or sit at the bar and try to peer in. I was there about a month ago and they had what looked like a case of Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus 375s in the cooler. Unfortunately, they were asking $23 per, which was way high in my opinion. But it's still a cool hidden beer spot in Chicago that barely advertises what they get on tap, which is sometimes pretty insane. And it's the best whiskey bar in the city, if not country.

Once drank a BCBVS there at 10am for $30... nearly 2 years after it's release.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 14, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

Their shrimp Po' Boy is the loving poo poo. Did you scope their "cellar?" They used to have a list published but it was never up to date so the only thing you can do is either ask (which few of the servers have any idea, nor do many of the bartenders) or sit at the bar and try to peer in. I was there about a month ago and they had what looked like a case of Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus 375s in the cooler. Unfortunately, they were asking $23 per, which was way high in my opinion. But it's still a cool hidden beer spot in Chicago that barely advertises what they get on tap, which is sometimes pretty insane. And it's the best whiskey bar in the city, if not country.

Once drank a BCBVS there for at 10am for $30...

I was told about the Po Boy but never had the appetite to go after it. I did take a peek at the cellar and yeah, it was pretty impressive. I'm a cheap bastard (Balena the evening before was disgusting) so I didn't end up getting any particularly rare beer, but it definitely appeared to be a legit kinda place.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

Sirotan posted:

Had Gillian right from the tank when Ubik gave us the GI brewery tour (:chord:), it was pretty good.

And Halia by the pitcher. Both are definitely worth tracking down. As is Matilda Lambicus, but I think that one is draft only.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Midorka posted:

Good point and thanks for elaborating Mikey. I definitely didn't consider that. As for my time frame from brewday/bottling I could have sworn one of the breweries I visited gave it 2-3 weeks from brewday to bottling. I could be wrong though.

The main reason is because certain seasonals like pumpkin beers and Christmas beers have a expiration date as far as consumers are concerned: bottle sales for both plummet after Thanksgiving and Christmas, respectively. If you release a pumpkin beer in October, you're risking them sitting on the shelf till Thanksgiving and then never going anywhere. Same with Christmas beers. It's a safe way to ensure that those beers are all gone before consumers have decided they aren't good anymore.

Plus there's the whole try-to-beat-everyone-else-to-the-market deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah lord knows Jubelale sticks around the supermarkets until March or so it seems.

Also, as for hefes I was indeed referring to Live Oak (which is ranked above things like Ayinger on ratebeer) and SA Weedwacker/Icon Green. They're the best and I miss 'em a lot.

Also, Pfriem is planning to bottle starting later this year :woop: