Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

NihilCredo posted:

Quick question: in the process of becoming king of Ruthenia, I just subjugated the tribal duke of the Radimichi, and he became a count vassal of mine. However, his county is apparently destined to leave my kingdom, because his underage daughter is still heir to the Tribe of Radimichi duke-level title (which currently has no holder).

I tried creating the non-tribal dukedom in that area (Smolensk) and that still didn't make her lose the heirship to the tribe. Asides from becoming King and making the whole matter moot, how do I fix that vassal inheritance warning?

If the tribal title has no holder then she can never inherit and thus it won't pass from your realm. At least without it bugging out, anyway.

One weird, undocumented side effect of the subjugation CB that I've noticed is that you get strong claims on the counties held directly by whoever you subjugate -- as Svipjod I subjugated Ostlandet and got strong claims on Akershus and Vestfold. So you may very well be able to revoke without any tyranny penalty. This was in 1.103, though, so it may have changed in the recent patch. Otherwise the answer, as usual, is stabbing, lots and lots of stabbing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

That's really disconcerting. A discrepancy like that shouldn't be possible to happen with the same, untouched installation.

Now I have no idea whether it's worth the risk to start another game or not, goddamn!

Considering I intend to export this game it's actually kind of worryingly small.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm not sure which thread this would best go in, as the converter is CKII but the result is EUIV. But I am NOT down with my vast norse empire in europe being relegated to the "eastern" teach group. I'm the most advanced empire in the known world, my spies have nowhere to learn technology from as I'm the top. I do not deserve inferior units and a 20% cost penalty!!

How does one tweak such things post-export?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anyone know why the Customizer DLC hasn't been released yet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm not sure which thread this would best go in, as the converter is CKII but the result is EUIV. But I am NOT down with my vast norse empire in europe being relegated to the "eastern" teach group. I'm the most advanced empire in the known world, my spies have nowhere to learn technology from as I'm the top. I do not deserve inferior units and a 20% cost penalty!!

How does one tweak such things post-export?

The converter works by turning your savegame into a mod, so you're probably going to have to learn how to dig around EU4's guts. Fortunately, Paradox is really cool with mods and keeps nearly all their data in plaintext, so you'll have plenty of resources to advise you on how to do that!

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

It's out for the GG version.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Allyn posted:

If the tribal title has no holder then she can never inherit and thus it won't pass from your realm. At least without it bugging out, anyway.
Yup :) My would-be king managed to get himself assassinated just before the final war, but the daughter turned out to not be a problem - she kept the title "heir to the tribe" but didn't leave the realm.

Now I'm running into a far more bizarre bug, though. Kazimir, the son, managed to complete his father's work despite two duchies passing to his half-brother, but somehow his Russian ethnicity doesn't count as East Slavic :confused::

I've got some minor mods like Flavourful Titular Titles and Culturally Different Cities that do affect the landed_titles.txt and 00_cultures.txt files, but I've searched all over those files and couldn't find any typo or ways in which they differ from vanilla. I even culture-switched to Swedish (North Germanic) and I still couldn't form the title. Baffling.

e: to be clear, I know I could just comment out the requirement line, but I'd love to figure out where the bug comes from first.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Has anyone played a new game under 1.11 at the 867 start? I have and the Magyars have taken the entirety of de jure Hungary and Bohemia, plus 1/3 of Poland, yet haven't taken the decision to form the Hungarian nation yet. Wondering if it's just something weird on my end or if it's a bug with the new patch.

Also I really, really wish there was a page that let you see the line of succession for each title. Even if it just showed you the entire list as if it was primogeniture even if that's not your actual succession law, that would be excellent. I know you can hover over the title's coat of arms/flag thing and see but it doesn't link you to the people in question, which would be a really handy feature :(

e: What the, I just loaded up as the Magyars from that save and they don't have the decision at all. Not that it's greyed out, it's just... not there :raise:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 14, 2013

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Allyn posted:

Also I really, really wish there was a page that let you see the line of succession for each title. Even if it just showed you the entire list as if it was primogeniture even if that's not your actual succession law, that would be excellent. I know you can hover over the title's coat of arms/flag thing and see but it doesn't link you to the people in question, which would be a really handy feature :(

I agree with wanting this feature as well. I hate having to hover over the coat of arms and then figure out who the actual person I need to go stab is. Also sometimes I feel like the coat of arms list does not line up with reality. I guess that has to do with some assumptions on the succession laws? Having links to the people would be helpful for figuring out marriages as well.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

WilliamAnderson posted:

Out on Steam today: http://steamdb.info/app/226666/#section_history

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ignore my Hungary thing, it's one of my mods (but I've got no idea which one :argh:)

Gimmick Account posted:

That's really disconcerting. A discrepancy like that shouldn't be possible to happen with the same, untouched installation.

Now I have no idea whether it's worth the risk to start another game or not, goddamn!

This is apparently getting fixed in a hotfix patch on Friday.

Also the customiser DLC is now in store on Steam

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I really know nothing about this game except a lot of people swear up and down that it's good. I was just going to believe them and leave it at that but then I heard there was a mod for the game to have the whole thing take place in the Elder Scrolls universe and I was pretty much sold on the spot.

But from what I understand the game was just patched yesterday and the mod doesn't work with the current patch. Is there a way I can check which version of the game I'm running to be sure? And how would I go about reverting to an older patch?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Since it's a steam game it auto updates, and there isnt any way to roll back, sorry.

Steam really needs to include an "advanced options" section to allow you to roll back patches for games like this that are so mod heavy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

But I just want to conquer Tamriel... :sigh:

Ah well. I guess this'll give me time to actually read the LP and actually try the vanilla game. I hopped in completely uninformed for about ten minutes and had no idea what I was doing. I'm assuming that's normal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Uh, what setting controls the "oh I'm sorry for being a rat bastard" letters you receive when you tell dudes to knock it off with the plotting? I love the new automatic system, but I'm still clicking through the letters whenever someone starts a new plot and gets shut down.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Kaubocks posted:

But I just want to conquer Tamriel... :sigh:

Ah well. I guess this'll give me time to actually read the LP and actually try the vanilla game. I hopped in completely uninformed for about ten minutes and had no idea what I was doing. I'm assuming that's normal.

Trying out vanilla is probably the best way to learn how to play the game. I know several people (myself included) who tried to jump straight into the Game of Thrones mod and got completely lost. Once I turned back to the vanilla mode and tried an Irish and later Iberian start did I begin to get a handle on things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man the whole election system is obtuse as hell for elective monarchies.

I understand the basics, everyone of a duke level or higher gets a vote. I believe you get more votes based on more duke titles held. Beyond that though ?????
For instance, when you want to change a kingdom law you actually get a tool tip showing exactly how many votes everyone has, this is handy. It's still a pain in the rear end as you can't click on said person but at least you know it's more important to butter up that dude with 8 votes than the guy with 1.

But with heir elections I'm never quite sure. My vassals get pissed when I have too many "elector titles" but the actual screen gives me no tool tip or information on how much power each person's vote has, just a number next to the portrait showing the number of supporters.

Do multiple duke/jarl level titles give more votes? Do king level titles give more votes as well for emperor elections?

I'm currently the Empress of Scandinavia (after a straight line of like 4 female rulers!) and I want absolute power, or something close to it. I have max authority in the empire and high/max authority in all the kingdoms. I don't really care who rules the various kingdoms although I want denmark 100% for my self (and holding all the jarl titles helps, there's never any competition there).

So what brutal things can I do to enjoy the most control and security? Is there a way I should be re-structuring my vassals so that who ever I nominate for emperor always wins? At max authority I assume my vassals can't even rebel anymore?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
They can rebel, in fact I think absolute athority makes them more likely to do so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uhg, running a huge empire with all these characters is such a pain, I want absolute control!! My empress has a dream though. Imagine one day if all these lords and mayors and jarls were not considered to be owning the land, but merely administering it for me. But imagine if I didn't "own" the empire either but in fact was also considered to be simply administering it, and that the land, the nation its self was an entity. You're not making a treaty with the Empress of Scandinavia, you're making a treaty with the country!

One day this dream of mine will come true, I have a feeling around the early 1400's in fact.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, absolute crown authority just makes them unable to fight each other. The only one they can legally bite is you.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Man the whole election system is obtuse as hell for elective monarchies.

I understand the basics, everyone of a duke level or higher gets a vote. I believe you get more votes based on more duke titles held.

NOPE. Not for electing the heir of an elective title. It's one man, one vote, as long as that man has at least a duke title in an elective kingdom/empire.

Hover over those numbers in the law screen to see who is voting for which potential heir. People who like the current ruler tend to vote for whoever he chooses, except they're kind of reluctant to vote for children.

And the "too many elector titles" thing starts popping up if you, as King, hold more than ONE duchy. Yes, in most other situations they're OK with you holding two, but not in Elective Kingdoms.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

This might be kind of a dumb question but is there anyway to edit or mod all the coat of arms to be available? Or at least make the unique historical ones available for houses of the same culture/religion. I snagged the Dynasty Shields on sale forever ago but they are just locked for playing as existing houses right?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Canopus250 posted:

This might be kind of a dumb question but is there anyway to edit or mod all the coat of arms to be available? Or at least make the unique historical ones available for houses of the same culture/religion. I snagged the Dynasty Shields on sale forever ago but they are just locked for playing as existing houses right?

The house arms in vanilla are all real bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darth Various posted:

NOPE. Not for electing the heir of an elective title. It's one man, one vote, as long as that man has at least a duke title in an elective kingdom/empire.

Hover over those numbers in the law screen to see who is voting for which potential heir. People who like the current ruler tend to vote for whoever he chooses, except they're kind of reluctant to vote for children.

And the "too many elector titles" thing starts popping up if you, as King, hold more than ONE duchy. Yes, in most other situations they're OK with you holding two, but not in Elective Kingdoms.

haha gently caress, so the more titles I've been taking away in the hopes of getting the majority of votes in fact is only pissing off my vassals and making them LESS likely to vote for my heirs.

But... if I some how controlled ALL the jarl level titles... right? gently caress it I'll hold the entire empire in my demesne ! I'm sure my 83/9 demesne limit will work out great. I actually kinda wish something like this was more possible, with the right techs. By EU4 we're dealing with NATIONS rather than characters, but I'd love to see that transition actually modeled in the game. Get your legalism up high enough and you'll become more and more of a pro-modern nation state rather than a disorganized bunch of idiot vassals.

Also man, I was really looking forward to the customizer because I love poo poo like that but it's way too expensive. If they priced it like the other useless fluff addons I'd snap it up no problem, but to charge as much as the more expansion-like DLC is insane.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Also you should probably keep in mind that only de jure duchies have a stake in the elections. So if you go for a big land grab somewhere outside of your kingdom, those will not have a vote. This can be useful if you managed to grab a non de jure holding next to your first duchy, allowing you to have two duchies and no penalty. However, a duchy that comes in through de jure drift will gain become an elector, so you will want to keep that in mind.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

But... if I some how controlled ALL the jarl level titles... right? gently caress it I'll hold the entire empire in my demesne ! I'm sure my 83/9 demesne limit will work out great. I actually kinda wish something like this was more possible, with the right techs. By EU4 we're dealing with NATIONS rather than characters, but I'd love to see that transition actually modeled in the game. Get your legalism up high enough and you'll become more and more of a pro-modern nation state rather than a disorganized bunch of idiot vassals.

I think CK2+ actually does this pretty well, simply by having no relationship penalty for having higher Crown Authority (raising still pisses them off). As your grip on the nation grows, you get more manpower and your vassals get more subordinate, but you'll have to fight to tighten that grip.

I hope Flippy finds a breakthrough on his laws project for Better Armies. That mod has specific types of buildings for your castles that changed which troop type they provided, and I'm guessing he wanted to control how your vassals designed their holdings (and by extension, your realm's army composition) by tying it to laws. That's a pretty cool thing to model, and I suppose it could lead to even more mechanics that could help you influence your nation more instead of the whole game being strictly about dynasties.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I think CK2+ actually does this pretty well, simply by having no relationship penalty for having higher Crown Authority (raising still pisses them off). As your grip on the nation grows, you get more manpower and your vassals get more subordinate, but you'll have to fight to tighten that grip.

I always figured that the point of Noble Customs was to offset the Crown Authority penalty, allowing you to do the same as your culture adjusts to more absolute monarchy and a more established class of petty nobles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Uhg, running a huge empire with all these characters is such a pain, I want absolute control!! My empress has a dream though. Imagine one day if all these lords and mayors and jarls were not considered to be owning the land, but merely administering it for me. But imagine if I didn't "own" the empire either but in fact was also considered to be simply administering it, and that the land, the nation its self was an entity. You're not making a treaty with the Empress of Scandinavia, you're making a treaty with the country!

One day this dream of mine will come true, I have a feeling around the early 1400's in fact.

If you want absolute power, with the realm administered by "governors" rather than feudal lords, you have to give your duchy titles to bishops. Due to all the opinion bonuses you can get from piety, religious traits, and low temple taxation, you can easily have all the prince bishops vote for your chosen heir because they'll all like you. Also, absolute crown authority does not give an opinion malus to bishop vassals because it doesn't apply to non-feudal vassals.

But that's really gaming the system there. Also it may take a bit of work to expel all feudal lords, especially if you've inherited the realm rather than holy-warring for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I always figured that the point of Noble Customs was to offset the Crown Authority penalty, allowing you to do the same as your culture adjusts to more absolute monarchy and a more established class of petty nobles.

Yeah, but it's really crap at it though, and that's coming from the new tech system which allows you some control over it. What're the numbers: -30 from Absolute, +12 from the final level of Noble Customs? poo poo, that is definitely not worth the investment at all, and you're still going catch hell with every new ruler from the combined assult of Short Reign and Absolute CA.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's a good mod that merely adds more cultures and doesn't change titles or the map at all? Converting CK2 to EU4 and seeing all of the HRE dominated by 'GERMAN', as opposed to vanilla's Hessian, Bavarian, etc., is rather dispiriting.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I thought kingdoms get changed to the rules you set for your primary duchy when you get them? I got an invasion started for Lotharingia and ended up with goddamn gavelkind succession because of it. :argh:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I thought kingdoms get changed to the rules you set for your primary duchy when you get them? I got an invasion started for Lotharingia and ended up with goddamn gavelkind succession because of it. :argh:

Your highest title takes precedence. Pretty sure it doesn't actually change the laws for the lower title. Of course Kingdoms are an exception and are all separate under your empire.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DrSunshine posted:

If you want absolute power, with the realm administered by "governors" rather than feudal lords, you have to give your duchy titles to bishops. Due to all the opinion bonuses you can get from piety, religious traits, and low temple taxation, you can easily have all the prince bishops vote for your chosen heir because they'll all like you. Also, absolute crown authority does not give an opinion malus to bishop vassals because it doesn't apply to non-feudal vassals.

But that's really gaming the system there. Also it may take a bit of work to expel all feudal lords, especially if you've inherited the realm rather than holy-warring for it.

I don't know why people feel the need to have absolute power. I always set mine to medium, and high only occasionally.

I'd actually like to see in CKIII the option to be forced to do sign a Magna Carta of some sort, like basically creating some sort of "legislative" body, or being able to call as 'Diet.'

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

They do if you create the title, but not if you usurp it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't know why people feel the need to have absolute power. I always set mine to medium, and high only occasionally.

Try playing an emperor with vassal kings. You'll quickly learn why they must not be allowed to increase their own powerbases.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

EightDeer posted:

Try playing an emperor with vassal kings. You'll quickly learn why they must not be allowed to increase their own powerbases.

Not unless you're increasing your powerbase faster than they are! The ABC's of Empire administration: Always Be Conquering.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

It is usually worth the trouble of going through and revoking every single holding, and then redoing them all as new church vassals. You'll be stuck with an entire generation of people that vehemently hate your guts, but all your new vassals won't know about your past transgressions and love you just fine.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Horny old bastard.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So where exactly ingame do you access the customizer for the different things it can change?

Edit: So far found the family name one but none of the others, really impressive to have to just search for this poo poo.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

So where exactly ingame do you access the customizer for the different things it can change?

I know you can change dynasty names from the dynasty tree page, no idea on realm name changes though.

• Locked thread