Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, too many of the songs they play on purpose are marginally better then Jukebox Jury songs, and those are pretty consistently awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

piratepilates posted:

The wikipedia page for CBB actually has the songs featured in each episode for at least most of the episodes and starting with episode 52 there doesn't seem to be any more songs in the show, which might run hand in hand with it no longer being on radio at that point so licensed music would be a different thing to account for.

So if you really hate the songs so much you could start there, it's not a bad starting point anyway since so much of the show comes from it's time as CBB the podcast anyway.

I'm sure it went farther than that, the last episode I remember having comedy songs was the one with Margaret Cho from a couple years back. When was the last time they had a musical guest? Seems like it's been forever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think the last one was the Vicar of Yanks

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I'd say the last episode with musical performances is probably the last Don't Stop Or We'll Die episode a few months back.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

kdrudy posted:

Yea, too many of the songs they play on purpose are marginally better then Jukebox Jury songs, and those are pretty consistently awful.

I think it's time to bring back Jukebox Jury

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

barkingclam posted:

I'm sure it went farther than that, the last episode I remember having comedy songs was the one with Margaret Cho from a couple years back. When was the last time they had a musical guest? Seems like it's been forever.

I think there was a whole month last year where they had musical guests in every episode. That's how I discovered Dan Mangan

E: Oh I looked it up and apparently that was in 2011. Wow

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 14, 2013

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thefncrow posted:

I'd say the last episode with musical performances is probably the last Don't Stop Or We'll Die episode a few months back.

Hello? It's Nabisco.

Na-bis-cooo. YA DEAD.

Don't Stop or We'll Die can be musical guests as many times as they want, they're always entertaining. I just gave the entire Bisco Boys episode another listen a week or two ago just to hear the Sunrise/Little Boys suite.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

They aren't the best band, but they do pretty well for a group of guys that met under a bridge.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Eltoasto posted:

They aren't the best band, but they do pretty well for a group of guys that met under a bridge.

They met under a bridge? Why didn't they ever mention this even once?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm liking this show so far but I loving hate most of the impressions that just go on and on and are terrible

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

WYA posted:

I'm liking this show so far but I loving hate most of the impressions that just go on and on and are terrible

Got any in mind? I can't really remember any in recent ememory (within the last year or two) that were actually impressions and not just a loose impression leading to a completely bizarre "yes and" game, like all of PFT's impressions.

Unless you mean you hate James Adomian in which case you can take your coat and leave mister :mad:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

piratepilates posted:

Got any in mind? I can't really remember any in recent ememory (within the last year or two) that were actually impressions and not just a loose impression leading to a completely bizarre "yes and" game, like all of PFT's impressions.

Unless you mean you hate James Adomian in which case you can take your coat and leave mister :mad:

I'm watching some 2009/2010 episodes and they have stuff like someone doing cake boss, an italian pizza chef, ice tea, and some character named cyberthug. They are awful and grating and supposed to be anti comedy but the gag goes on way too long.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Sounds like you just don't like the show. That, or you're trolling a thread about a comedy podcast?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

If you don't like cakeboss, then you should probably just give up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

WYA posted:

I'm watching some 2009/2010 episodes and they have stuff like someone doing cake boss, an italian pizza chef, ice tea, and some character named cyberthug. They are awful and grating and supposed to be anti comedy but the gag goes on way too long.

Boo this man.

But yeah the whole conceit of the show is that someone does the entire episode in character so probably not for you.

Also, "watching"?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

tnimark posted:

Sounds like you just don't like the show. That, or you're trolling a thread about a comedy podcast?

Is it possible to like parts of the show a lot and hate parts of the show a lot? I like hearing him riff with all my favorite comedians. I hate hearing a purposely bad impression of cake boss for a whole hour instead of the 60 seconds where it was funny.

The good thing though it seems there is only a bad impression every one of three episodes

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

WYA posted:

Is it possible to like parts of the show a lot and hate parts of the show a lot? I like hearing him riff with all my favorite comedians. I hate hearing a purposely bad impression of cake boss for a whole hour instead of the 60 seconds where it was funny.

Ok fair enough, but to be honest you're going to like the show less and less the further you get into it. There has rarely been a full 'chatting with a comedian' episode for the last couple of years. There is almost always at least one character that shows up ~20mins into the show.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

WYA posted:

Is it possible to like parts of the show a lot and hate parts of the show a lot? I like hearing him riff with all my favorite comedians.

You might want to listen to Who Charted or Nerdist or virtually any other comedy podcast.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Actually I really like cbb, i loved mr show and I like paul f tompkins podcast and stand up career, but I dont understand why fans of this podcast get so into the Cake boss character. I think its one of the least funny things on the entire show especially out of the recurring characters. Its trying too hard with the lisp and all the wacky conceits about cake lore, it just reminds me too much of every goofy bad improv troupe where they are just "yes, and"-ing each other into some impossibly convoluted "random" scenario while they look at each other and try not to crack up over how silly theyre being. It just seems so low effort for PFT when he can be way funnier (i thought the harrow Murderer Heaven character from the recent episode was way funnier than any cake boss thing) and when the other recurring guests like Adomian and andy daly come up with character ideas that are really funny out of the gate without needing 100 episodes of background story before it builds to something funny

tldr its possible to like CBB and not like cake boss. maybe

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I agree that some of the characters' lore are getting long in the tooth. Cake Boss' especially. I kinda zone out when they start talking about like the Cake Council on the dark side of the moon and stuff.

I still think Cake Boss is funny though. I don't know what kind of humorless monster wouldn't find funny the "erotic cake" bit from the ep with Doug Benson and Steve Yeun.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I agree that some of the characters' lore are getting long in the tooth. Cake Boss' especially. I kinda zone out when they start talking about like the Cake Council on the dark side of the moon and stuff.

I still think Cake Boss is funny though. I don't know what kind of humorless monster wouldn't find funny the "erotic cake" bit from the ep with Doug Benson and Steve Yeun.

The best part of Cake Boss is that they Yes And-ed him to him becoming God, then basically retired the character for almost a year so they could just take it back some.

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006

The Senator Giroux posted:

The best part of Cake Boss is that they Yes And-ed him to him becoming God, then basically retired the character for almost a year so they could just take it back some.

I love the podcast, but yeah, they sometimes tend to run characters into the ground. I think what soiled cake boss for me was him speaking to dead cakes like A Christmas Carol.

That being said, to this day in conversation with fans I always drop in an "IT'S BEEN" or from his Garry "Ponyboy" Marshall riddle

"Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh who'stosay"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WYA posted:

I really don't think you're going to like this show the more you listen to it. I mean if you don't like Cake Boss, Ice T, or Cyber Thug you're in for a world of pain. Characters and impressions are just about the entire point of the show. Sure there's a little conversation at the start, but the rest of the show is usually just a long improv bit that incorporates those things. If you want a comedian chat show then CBB probably isn't what you want.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I always thought the best parts of the podcast are when the person is pushed to have to come up with something weird, like cake boss gradually getting more and more crazy until eh has magical powers and such.

I mean hell Andy Daly is the best guest on the show and that's because he's always pushed to weird things with his characters and manages to roll with them.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

RockShowLevel27 posted:

I love the podcast, but yeah, they sometimes tend to run characters into the ground. I think what soiled cake boss for me was him speaking to dead cakes like A Christmas Carol.

Wasn't that like his first bit? Where he talked to the actor from the movie MASH and Chewbacca? That was gold--although I agree that Scott has been a little staid in his show format and guest bookings lately. Though it's probably reasonable for him to want to settle on a routine of one character guest and one normal guest since he has the Earwolf business and the CBB TV show taking up his time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

manyak posted:

Actually I really like cbb, i loved mr show and I like paul f tompkins podcast and stand up career, but I dont understand why fans of this podcast get so into the Cake boss character. I think its one of the least funny things on the entire show especially out of the recurring characters. Its trying too hard with the lisp and all the wacky conceits about cake lore, it just reminds me too much of every goofy bad improv troupe where they are just "yes, and"-ing each other into some impossibly convoluted "random" scenario while they look at each other and try not to crack up over how silly theyre being. It just seems so low effort for PFT when he can be way funnier (i thought the harrow Murderer Heaven character from the recent episode was way funnier than any cake boss thing) and when the other recurring guests like Adomian and andy daly come up with character ideas that are really funny out of the gate without needing 100 episodes of background story before it builds to something funny

Literally the entire point of the show is improv and yes and-ing. Like from the very beginning. Sure they might break away from that sometime, but like 98 percent of the show is comedians improving with each other.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

UP AND ADAM posted:

Wasn't that like his first bit? Where he talked to the actor from the movie MASH and Chewbacca? That was gold--although I agree that Scott has been a little staid in his show format and guest bookings lately. Though it's probably reasonable for him to want to settle on a routine of one character guest and one normal guest since he has the Earwolf business and the CBB TV show taking up his time.

That was the episode with Andy Richter I think (a 2 parter?) I wanna say Cake Boss first showed up with Rod Corddry and Lake Bell but I might be wrong.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

That was the episode with Andy Richter I think (a 2 parter?) I wanna say Cake Boss first showed up with Rod Corddry and Lake Bell but I might be wrong.

David Higgins in episode 56. Dave Foley was supposed to be there but he never showed up. Scott prefers pies to cakes and it'll eventually be his downfall.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

thefncrow posted:

Don't Stop Or We'll Die

every chicken with a square ~butthooooole~

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I was trying to find the Don't Stop or We'll Die song I just quoted and came across something wonderful in the process; apparently podcast.com has done automatic transcriptions of a bunch of CBB episodes and it is 100% nonsense:

podcast.com posted:

You sit there clocking out your natural hairs and eventually it works and your nose detach from your face when you hear that count down that we all knows what are you thinking office how down david lift off imminent about five four three knows what happened to you. Grab on to the does ed you plug that one that has and you straddle it and you grab that uh cats uh out of the tree on your way up and then once you uh get down you either have the the the cat over to the owners. Presuming you know who they are. Ah or you keep it whatever is your choice that day. Lot more follow up and then aside bomb charge we have time for one more follow up and one more sidebar do i my follow up do i enjoy writing my own notes suited pleasurable it's tom. Uh eugene the it it hurts at first to detach from your face but then it is the most fun thing you'll ever doing a alright my side on.

That's the "5-4-3-nose-1" Would You Rather

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Riptor posted:

I was trying to find the Don't Stop or We'll Die song I just quoted and came across something wonderful in the process; apparently podcast.com has done automatic transcriptions of a bunch of CBB episodes and it is 100% nonsense:

quote:

Uh a lot of rape in in sicily right okay great so if you're one of those so you're very excited right now right you're being represented by andy richter and uh just uh marissa i'm. I'm not saying for our heartland come back that you made find one of those special things that you were talking about penis warmer there right. Fortune has. Somehow your victory will will and flyer his latest lawyers his ever present about right right all right i i will still play for orange county so you are either a more or horror linda or live in orange county you're very excited right now and you you have a dog in this house in your own imagine of harlem's a morgue losing the port's gonna oh my god.

:stare: I am speechless.

EDIT: oh dang they also have Farts & Pro 1

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 15, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

EDIT: oh dang they also have Farts & Pro 1

Yeah yeah while we were loving are sisters i made him um did that add to that start sorry jack sorry about my language yeah i'm still at her sister it's my wife all rocking about we make love to hear. Wife he was like your sister uhhuh

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JethroMcB posted:

oh dang they also have Farts & Pro 1

Corey. Slam. Set.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

He agrees to duel Chewbacca's ghost in It's A loving Podcast 1&2. I think that was my favorite Cake Boss appearance.

manyak posted:

I think it's just personal preference, but I like Tompkins' Cake Boss in the same way I like nearly everything Jon Daly does; it's not funny on paper, but he just keeps hammering away at the concept until eventually it clicks with me. I do think the character has started to get a little unwieldy and should probably be retired at this point, however.

The Fourvel/Webber thing is approaching that point as well. I want at least one more episode, but they got a little too exuberant in the last episode and now the stabby little street urchin with a filthy mouth and love of musicals has become part an group of alternate reality disgruntled Scott Auckermans. I sort of hope they redact that whole plot with a later appearance, because I have no idea where they're gonna go with that.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
They don't seem to care about continuity when it doesn't suit them. CBB ain't the LA comedian version of DC comics.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Cake Boss

Cake Boss

Cake Boss

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Michael Cera

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I used to think there were two types of people in the world: people who think PFT as cake boss is hilarious and people that hadn't yet heard PFT as cake boss.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Cake boss is by far my least favorite character PFT does. I don't find it intolerable by any means. I generally enjoy the episodes, but its just the least interesting to me. I really like Werner Herzog though really its nearly as rote. Just different strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I used to find Cake Boss unbearable, but somewhere along the way he got me...