Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I live in Mongolia

Holy hell, quila, have you always? This is lheo from SoD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Goast posted:

Whenever I am playing around noon your time there is about 500-700 players on.

I usually work till 5-6 PM my time, so it would be a fair bit later than that, but that's still a pretty good population. Thanks!

Null1fy posted:

Holy hell, quila, have you always? This is lheo from SoD

I have not. And I have a feeling you're confusing me with someone else. I'm not sure what SoD is, unless perhaps we've stumbled onto a Bourne Identity type situation. Which could be awesome.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm not sure what SoD is, unless perhaps we've stumbled onto a Bourne Identity type situation. Which could be awesome.

SoD = Shards of Dalaya. It's an EverQuest emulator, but they've completely customized everything using the EQ assets. So zones are different places, unique quests, mechanics, lore, etc. The whole lot. It's goon ran, there's a thread for it here in the MMO HMO.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

xZAOx posted:

SoD = Shards of Dalaya. It's an EverQuest emulator, but they've completely customized everything using the EQ assets. So zones are different places, unique quests, mechanics, lore, etc. The whole lot. It's goon ran, there's a thread for it here in the MMO HMO.

Hurf, I know what Shards of Dalaya is, for some reason I was assuming SoD was a specific guild name. I actually used to play SoD for a while. But I'm certainly not whoever Null1fy thinks I am.

Nooblet
May 20, 2006
Hugonaught
If there's someone around that can help a new monk I'd much appreciate it. I'll be on a lot today, and any gear/port/hugs would just be a good time. Name is Flexing.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm having some installation issues.

So I installed EQ Titanium, but made a separate folder to install it in within Program Files (called EqEmu). Next I downloaded the EqEmuLauncher program, but I'm having problems with that. Am I supposed to put that inside the EqEmu folder, or does it just sit on my desktop? Because it's on my desktop, but when I try to run it I get an error that says I need to install "The following version of the .NET Framework V4.0.30319.

Also, am I supposed to go into the eqhost.txt file and change the host login to something besides the live servers?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Well have you tried installing the .NET framework? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

As far as installing EQ Titanium into Program Files it is generally suggested to install it outside of Program Files and into a place such as your user folder or the drives base directory because on modern versions of Windows the Program Files directory is protected and requires admin permissions in order for changes to made in it. Modern applications take this into consideration but eq titanium does not and also the eqemulauncher patches the eq titanium directory as well.

As far as the eqhosts file, the launcher will do that for you and you will have a list of different eqemu servers to login to.

Niedar fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 11, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Niedar posted:

Well have you tried installing the .NET framework? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

As far as installing EQ Titanium into Program Files it is generally suggested to install it outside of Program Files and into a place such as your user folder or the drives base directory because on modern versions of Windows the Program Files directory is protected and requires admin permissions in order for changes to made in it. Modern applications take this into consideration but eq titanium does not and also the eqemulauncher patches the eq titanium directory as well.

As far as the eqhosts file, the launcher will do that for you and you will have a list of different eqemu servers to login to.

Okay I'm downloading that now. So if I can't use the regular icon to launch EQ, what do I use to launch? And I already installed it into the Program Files, but I'm the admin, should I uninstall and reinstall somewhere else? And can I just throw that EqEmuLauncher right into my Everquest folder?

Edit: Okay, got it running. When I run the EQEmuLauncher it asks for my folder path and Exe path, what do I put for those. And I also don't see the Project 99 server listed on the right in the list of servers, do I need to do something special to get to it?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 11, 2013

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
The server is down right now for maintenance or something which is why your probably don't see it on the right. I am not sure if you can launch with the normal EQ launcher after its been patched or not because I always just launch it with eqemulauncher.

For the folder path just put the EQEmu folder that you have in Program Files currently and I think the exe location will be filled in for you. You might have to run eqemulauncher as admin but try it without first when the servers come back up.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Niedar posted:

The server is down right now for maintenance or something which is why your probably don't see it on the right. I am not sure if you can launch with the normal EQ launcher after its been patched or not because I always just launch it with eqemulauncher.

For the folder path just put the EQEmu folder that you have in Program Files currently and I think the exe location will be filled in for you. You might have to run eqemulauncher as admin but try it without first when the servers come back up.

So I need to patch it specifically to that server, and not any others?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, each server has it's own requirements so every time you run the eqemulauncher you select the server from the list and it verifies that you have the right set of files and if not switches them out.

Edit: Server is up now btw

Niedar fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 11, 2013

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
New to the server and I just realized my enchanter animation spells are in HHK! Should I even bother trying to get them? I'm level 6.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
Returning to p99 after a year or more. Look up Fetko (mid 20's wiz) or Borr (teen necro) if you need something. Would like a current Goon guild just to know who's on. I'll probably scour the thread for names for people to bug when I'm bored or traumatically harmed by early EQ eventually.

mattmuffinman
Oct 13, 2008

I hate yankees posted:

New to the server and I just realized my enchanter animation spells are in HHK! Should I even bother trying to get them? I'm level 6.

The level 8 one is pretty good, the 12 one is ok. After that they're worthless.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Just started on this as a gnome magician named Sedgwick. I'm pretty clueless about EQ this early on, I've only really dabbled in it in recent years. I loved EQOA on the PS2 but since that's not an option anymore for a game that kicks you in the nuts I decided to go with this. I like old stuff.

Hit me up if you feel like being friendly!

Kren
May 11, 2005
If you're looking for a (relatively) quality leveling guild. Get into Knights who say Ni. They are everywhere and have lots of mid level players.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Hi other new people. I'm in as Wilan, currently level 8 wizard. I was playing on Al'Kabor, I'm enjoying this a lot more though.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I just gave this a shot today, having never played EQ before. I rolled a Erudite Necromancer and started in some building with NPCs. I got a scroll and a book, gave the scroll to the NPC, something happened and I levelled up some of the magic skills. The book was talking about finding a Priest of Discord which I didn't manage, but there was no other indication of where to go. I decided it's time to gently caress it and get myself killed, but I couldn't find any way outside. Everywhere I went led into another building or shop. Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do to get myself started?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

mattmuffinman posted:

The level 8 one is pretty good, the 12 one is ok. After that they're worthless.

I always used them but then again I hit 60 before the whirl til ya hurl nerf...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

a!n posted:

The book was talking about finding a Priest of Discord which I didn't manage

Yeah don't do that part. Turning in that book turns your character red, aka PVP. Noone goes PVP.

a!n posted:

Everywhere I went led into another building or shop. Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do to get myself started?

WELCOME TO EVERQUEST!!!

But seriously, no, you're not going to get any direction. Press "H" to hail targeted NPCs when you're standing near them. In their response they'll have some words in brackets, like "Hi, you're a new [necro], welcome". You respond with "what necro", or something like that. This is how you find quests, but honestly, most aren't "worth" doing - especially with the jacked up economy on this server. The quests that are important to do (epics mainly, a few are good to farm for exp but if it's your first time, you don't want to do that IMO) you'll find out about in due time.

So what DO you do? Go find poo poo to kill. Press "C" to "consider" what you have targeted. It'll give you a color coded message about the likelihood of you being able to kill it. Gray is super easy and no exp, green is easy with a little exp, light blue is still easy, then dark blue, white is an "even con", then yellow, then red. Tougher to you = more exp.

As far as getting the gently caress out of your starting area? I'd recommend just keep roaming the town and learning it. You're starting in Erudin, so they have portals there - they're big floaty things on the ground, walk on one. If you're too cool for that, here's some old school maps...well gently caress, EQ Atlas seems to be down. Okay, new plan, use the ones on the wiki: http://wiki.project1999.org/Zones . Note that you're in Erudin, which is on the Odus continent. So go to the Erudin page there, and you see the hand drawn maps. Use those to get the gently caress out of where you are, find the bank, find vendors, and all that if you get tired of exploring. The newbie area you want to go to is Tox Forest, but hell, you can take the boat too and see what adventure lies in that direction :)

In general, spend a lot of time on the wiki: http://wiki.project1999.org/Main_Page . As a necro, or any caster, what will be real important will be spells. You can go to your class page, see your spell list, find out what vendors have the spells you need and where. On that wiki page will also be a lot of info about quests more specific to necros that you might have fun checking out once you get your bearings.

There's a lot to the game, but you get used to it pretty quick. I'd say just focus on getting a few levels in your newb area grinding out rats and fire beetles or whatever the gently caress is in Tox Forest, get the next level of spells, etc. Eventually going somewhere like Crushbone (be warned - it's a hike! Get a bind!) will be great for newbie groups.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

xZAOx posted:

Gray is super easy and no exp, green is easy with a little exp, light blue is still easy, then dark blue, white is an "even con", then yellow, then red. Tougher to you = more exp.

I don't think there's a grey con (there wasn't on live until some time after PoP). If there isn't, green is the one that gives no experience.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Yeah don't do that part. Turning in that book turns your character red, aka PVP. Noone goes PVP.

WELCOME TO EVERQUEST!!!

But seriously, no, you're not going to get any direction. Press "H" to hail targeted NPCs when you're standing near them. In their response they'll have some words in brackets, like "Hi, you're a new [necro], welcome". You respond with "what necro", or something like that. This is how you find quests, but honestly, most aren't "worth" doing - especially with the jacked up economy on this server. The quests that are important to do (epics mainly, a few are good to farm for exp but if it's your first time, you don't want to do that IMO) you'll find out about in due time.

So what DO you do? Go find poo poo to kill. Press "C" to "consider" what you have targeted. It'll give you a color coded message about the likelihood of you being able to kill it. Gray is super easy and no exp, green is easy with a little exp, light blue is still easy, then dark blue, white is an "even con", then yellow, then red. Tougher to you = more exp.

As far as getting the gently caress out of your starting area? I'd recommend just keep roaming the town and learning it. You're starting in Erudin, so they have portals there - they're big floaty things on the ground, walk on one. If you're too cool for that, here's some old school maps...well gently caress, EQ Atlas seems to be down. Okay, new plan, use the ones on the wiki: http://wiki.project1999.org/Zones . Note that you're in Erudin, which is on the Odus continent. So go to the Erudin page there, and you see the hand drawn maps. Use those to get the gently caress out of where you are, find the bank, find vendors, and all that if you get tired of exploring. The newbie area you want to go to is Tox Forest, but hell, you can take the boat too and see what adventure lies in that direction :)

In general, spend a lot of time on the wiki: http://wiki.project1999.org/Main_Page . As a necro, or any caster, what will be real important will be spells. You can go to your class page, see your spell list, find out what vendors have the spells you need and where. On that wiki page will also be a lot of info about quests more specific to necros that you might have fun checking out once you get your bearings.

There's a lot to the game, but you get used to it pretty quick. I'd say just focus on getting a few levels in your newb area grinding out rats and fire beetles or whatever the gently caress is in Tox Forest, get the next level of spells, etc. Eventually going somewhere like Crushbone (be warned - it's a hike! Get a bind!) will be great for newbie groups.

Thanks for this! I've played EQ2 previously and wondered whether pressing H would give me more options for NPCs compared to clicking on them in a frenzy. I've also just now realised where the term even con stems from!

As far as Erudin is concerned I've found the portals but they just lead to different parts of the city... Guess I have some more exploring to do. Since I gave the book to a random NPC already and can't seem to recover it I might just as well reroll, going for pvp sounds fun even if the chances of someone else doing it are slim to none.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does anyone play on red? I'm thinking of rolling there since some RL friends are just starting a group.

Nooblet
May 20, 2006
Hugonaught
If anyone wants to be a member of the #1 goon guild send a whisper to Flexing. We can slay gnolls and talk about our feelings.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Splinter posted:

Does anyone play on red? I'm thinking of rolling there since some RL friends are just starting a group.

From what I can tell red is a cesspool of griefing with a low population. Every time the red players come to the blue boards they tend to be obnoxious as all hell.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Funkutron5000 posted:

From what I can tell red is a cesspool of griefing with a low population. Every time the red players come to the blue boards they tend to be obnoxious as all hell.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Going red wasn't my idea. I would go blue or SoD if it was up to me.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

returnh posted:

I don't think there's a grey con (there wasn't on live until some time after PoP). If there isn't, green is the one that gives no experience.

There's no light blue, either. Classic cons go green (no xp), blue (below your level but grants xp), white (equal level), yellow (1-2 levels higher), red (3+ levels higher).

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Vulpes posted:

There's no light blue, either. Classic cons go green (no xp), blue (below your level but grants xp), white (equal level), yellow (1-2 levels higher), red (3+ levels higher).

Wrong

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Looks right to me, what is wrong about this?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ohno posted:

Looks right to me, what is wrong about this?

You're not high enough level to get light blues

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Light blue con was introduced just before Luclin was dropped:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2001-2.html

So in the sense that Vanilla->Velious = Classic EQ, it's classic (just barely) but it was not in the game at launch.

It's a cosmetic only change though as adding the light blue con was just a way to distinguish greens that gave XP from greens that didn't - no XP values or anything were changed as the result of this. The reason it shows up on P99 is that it's built into the Titanium client in such a way that modifying it out would put the dev team on shaky legal grounds with Sony, or at least this is what they've said about it on the forums pretty much every time this issue has been brought up.

Also, nice to see all the new folks hopping on during the summer months. I'll be back to goonerositize people in another week or so, have fun in the meantime!

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Oddly enough I am getting the exp message for some greens, as well as the light blues. I have really been enjoying this, it's brought back so many memories from the early days. I am, however, developing a severe hate for the Sand Giant in NRo. Freakin guy seems to pop up from behind every hill I'm fighting on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Limbo posted:

Oddly enough I am getting the exp message for some greens, as well as the light blues.

Yeah, there's basically a math error between "do you get exp" and "what con color does this show", where "high greens" will give a miniscule amount of exp.

Limbo posted:

I am, however, developing a severe hate for the Sand Giant in NRo. Freakin guy seems to pop up from behind every hill I'm fighting on.

People bitch about it, but things like that are one of my favorite things about EQ, and what I consider a defining trait - the world is dangerous, and you're almost never really safe. Not so drat cookie-cutter and binary.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Cool Buff Man posted:

You're not high enough level to get light blues
At level 25, the new con colors (and slightly different messages for some cons) come into play. http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Faction_and_Consider#4_Consider_Difficulty

Limbo posted:

Oddly enough I am getting the exp message for some greens, as well as the light blues. I have really been enjoying this, it's brought back so many memories from the early days. I am, however, developing a severe hate for the Sand Giant in NRo. Freakin guy seems to pop up from behind every hill I'm fighting on.
Am I remembering wrong, or did even a low green give the XP message in ancient times? The XP bar just hardly moved, if at all.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
It starts at level 8 I believe with level 4 or 5 turning light blue..or somewhere around there. The client is way ahead of classic so those old sites aren't exactly relevant to this server. There's also two different levels of light blues, one higher that gives 50% experience of a dark blue and the other lower that gives 25% I think, numbers might be slightly off, don't feel like searching for the thread on it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone got an account with a 50+ cleric, wizard, druid, or mage they'd be willing to part with, possibly for a small sum of money? I occasionally get the itch to play every now and then and have long since given my own accounts away. Don't really care about gear or plat on the account. haydendotsa@gmail.com

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Bugen, you still kicking around? Skullmonkey here.

Finally caved in and bought a replacement video card for my PC. Looking to play on p99 again, possibly later in the week or weekend.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yessir, nice to see you back in action. I'm still on Illtair a few times a week but with the semester starting up I'm pretty busy at the moment. I'll probably be on next week (gone for the weekend) so I'll keep an eye out for ya. It would be nice to see someone on my friends list online for a change! :D

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yessir, nice to see you back in action. I'm still on Illtair a few times a week but with the semester starting up I'm pretty busy at the moment. I'll probably be on next week (gone for the weekend) so I'll keep an eye out for ya. It would be nice to see someone on my friends list online for a change! :D

As soon as we get a solid Velious release date I'll be back too :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Are there any leveling guilds around anymore? I was in Warlords and haven't seen anyone on in the last 4 days or so since I've come back.

I'm just a lonely 40th level shaman who wants some green text while soloing spectres in oasis.

• Locked thread