Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

quote:

go to the /MensRights/ subreddit before you seek validation from the police, or therapists, or anyone else. They're the only ones--the only ones--who won't treat you like a criminal just because of your gender.

Yup, known internet hate group r/mensrights certainly does not have any kind of prejudice against people based on their gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

go to the /MensRights/ subreddit before you seek validation from the police, or therapists, or anyone else. They're the only ones--the only ones--who won't treat you like a criminal just because of your gender.

At first I thought "wow, this dude has MAJOR issues which are nothing to do with men, women, feminists or anything except himself". Then I got to this line and the whole thing just suddenly read as some kind of lovely Reddit MRA marketing attempt. :psyduck:

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

moerketid posted:

At first I thought "wow, this dude has MAJOR issues which are nothing to do with men, women, feminists or anything except himself". Then I got to this line and the whole thing just suddenly read as some kind of lovely Reddit MRA marketing attempt. :psyduck:

I love how they expect everyone to know what a subreddit is instead of just giving a link.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder what medical disorders make you look like a rapist.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Shadeoses posted:

Maybe a hunchback and a cleft palette? Plus liver problems so your skin is unhealthy looking and the eyes are dark and sunken. His nuts are in constant pain apparently, so he probably winces most of the time.

Now watch this description become the new slenderman.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
He was so afraid of girls in school that he missed his bus home on several occasions just because there was ~* a girl *~ standing near his locker. What

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

No, you see, he was being chivalrous by not forcing that poor girl to have to look into his hideous face, and instead lurking intensely in a corner, staring at her until she left, like a gentleman. :shepface:

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Grraarrgghh posted:

No, you see, he was being chivalrous by not forcing that poor girl to have to look into his hideous face, and instead lurking intensely in a corner, staring at her until she left, like a gentleman. :shepface:

When I was in junior high we wrote a parody of Phantom of the Opera set in our school to perform in theater class. This was basically the plot, some weird guy that never even went home and stood in corners staring at the pretty girls. Dumb kid in the OP was actually Phantom of the Junior High.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Disclaimer: Armchair internet psychologist talk! :pseudo:

quote:

I'm 27 now, and I've never made a major purchase, such as for a video game console or a car, because whatever money I can spare goes towards my mother's next lawyer. I started working when I was 14, and it has always been this way.
This sounds kinda like when freepers or libertarians blame the government for their own failures rather than accept them as their own. Except that you gotta replace the government with his mom. More so feminism later on, but this does establish a pattern of nonsensical "It's not MY fault" statements.

quote:

One day standing 10 feet behind her wasn't enough for her, and she decided to kick in my testicles. Of course, she was a girl, so I couldn't do anything about it, so until I could run away, she kept kicking them.
She kicked him from 10 feet away? Or did she just walk over and kick him in the balls? Also, it wouldn't be very easy to repeatedly kick someone in the balls unless you had them restrained.

quote:

You see, I was, and am, consider the perpetrator--because I "looked creepy". I didn't say anything or do anything wrong, but I LOOKED wrong. I wasn't allowed to hear what she told everyone, but the way the school implied it, she had a bad experience of some sort with another guy, and here I was, all tall and muscular and creepy, "terrorizing" this girl by complying with her demands that I stand away from her until she's done.
Something about this sounds like this whole locker ball kicking fantasy is just him just refusing to accept something he did. I kinda assume he did something legitimately creepy, like constantly hovering over this girl, and built up this elaborate fantasy in his mind to justify it.

quote:

So I got a complex about being near women of any sort. And, when I went to therapy about it, I'd get only two kinds of responses. Either they'd want to know what I REALLY did, because female-on-male violence can't POSSIBLY exist ("you must have touched her first!"), or the therapist would say "well, you must understand, that you're a big guy, and she must have been threatened by someone who looks like you..."
This is just made up, at least in the way he presents it. I kinda think this is once again an extreme fantasy he made up. Again I assume he did something legitimately creepy and troubling in the previous incident, went to therapy afterward, and reacted by making up this story instead of accepting reality.

quote:

You know what turned me away from feminism, though? About a year ago on Twitter, a woman who felt like she wasn't being included in a DnD campaign at some con because she was a woman, and I tried to tell her that it's probably nothing personal on the part of nerds that made them evasive, it's just that male nerds, especially if they're ugly enough, are instructed from birth to stay away from women, or they'll face the consequences....
So, of course, my comments got picked up by a feminist blog and I was made an example of as a "misogynist".
"I told a nerdy women she couldn't be included because nerdy men are afraid of women! What's wrong with that?"

quote:

my (legitimate!) fear of women
This is it. He's just made up an elaborate fantasy to justify this. This whole thing just sounds like a fantasy made up to justify an extreme fear of women and very low self esteem. He can't develop anything as much as a friendship with women, let alone romantic relationship, because of the fear. He's gotta justify it all in his mind with an elaborate fantasy where his problems stem not from self esteem and personal fear but from oppressive feminism.
It's really very :smith:

He also has some kind of obsession with his mom I think. I have a feeling he has some deep issues from his parents' separation which resulted in him vilifying his father and clinging to his mother.

wilderthanmild has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Aug 14, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Even if we take everything about the locker thing to be completely accurate from his point of view, it's not hard to construct an alternate narrative. He gets a locker beside one of the "hot girls", she pointedly ignores him because, well, high school. He responds to this by never going to his locker when she's there, and is too socially inept to realise that standing ten feet away staring creepily at a girl on a regular basis, up to and including waiting around after school to stare at her until she leaves, is going to freak her the gently caress out. Eventually she snaps and lays into him and he just takes it because (multiple possible reasons). So it may not be STDH and more poo poo that did happen but not for the reasons he thought.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Even if we take everything about the locker thing to be completely accurate from his point of view, it's not hard to construct an alternate narrative. He gets a locker beside one of the "hot girls", she pointedly ignores him because, well, high school. He responds to this by never going to his locker when she's there, and is too socially inept to realise that standing ten feet away staring creepily at a girl on a regular basis, up to and including waiting around after school to stare at her until she leaves, is going to freak her the gently caress out. Eventually she snaps and lays into him and he just takes it because (multiple possible reasons). So it may not be STDH and more poo poo that did happen but not for the reasons he thought.
Yea, that's kind of what I'm getting at. I think that something happened, but we're getting a fantasy version from him that he uses to prove that his fear of women and vilification of feminism are legitimate.

He has some even deeper creepy reddit posts that affirm my belief. He has a very big "I'm such a nice guy, but women are broken and feminists are ruining my life!" complex. He compares the feminist movement to the KKK and says that people who care about women's rights aren't feminists. He mentions the ball kicking incident in almost of his posts, almost always to justify some seemingly unrelated statement about women and "feminism". He has a strange view where all women are on one extreme or the other, extremely wonderful, hardworking, intelligent women who he even describes as superior to men or evil, spiteful, hateful feminists. Both are probably from imagined encounters rather than reality.

He makes conflicting claims about when he ended school, sometimes he didn't finish high school, sometimes he just left college, etc and it's all the fault of women. He makes a few conflicting claims about whether or not he has a job. He also repeatedly describes himself as very muscular and masculine but super ugly and creepy. "Jocks" and pretty much every guy who isn't a MRA who "really cares about women" are on his poo poo list as well.

He read lots of women's romance novels as a kid growing up. :wtc:

I really wish they'd give me something to do at work today so I could stop reading about this guy.

wilderthanmild has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Aug 14, 2013

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
Here's a doozy post from reddit, wasn't sure if it belonged more here or in awkward and ugly. It starts off with our hero discussing how he was promoted to supervisor at an ice cream parlor. The following happens at closing, after one of his employees goes out to wipe down outside tables.

quote:

I was counting my drawers and safe when two of my coworkers come into the back and one appears to be comforting the other one who once I noticed was clearly upset. I asked what was wrong and I was informed that the clients who had so kindly gone outside to eat decided the best thing to do in a situation where a 16 year old girl was cleaning around them was talk to her about how pretty she was, and how much they would enjoy doing various sexual acts with her. The amount of detail they used was nauseating.

quote:

I was raised in a household where I was the youngest of 3. My two older siblings are both female and as such I have been raised to expect certain things from myself as well as my male counterparts when interacting with women. Like how women are actually people.
Of course, she protests like the delicate flower she is that he shouldn't stand up for him, but he is chivalrous!
Mi'Lady

So with bad rear end parting words to call the cops if there's issues, he goes out to confront them. But, far more importantly to EDUCATE them.

quote:

Me: So I hear you like sexually harassing 16 year old girls.
Guy 1: What are you talking about?
Guy 2: Dude chill out we were just joking around with her.
Me: Are you loving kidding me? You were just telling her how much you would enjoy gang banging her. Guy 2: It was a loving joke you loving pussy. Me: It wasn’t a joke to her obviously. If anything you guys are kind of the joke in this situation. How old are you 35? You enjoy trolling around downtown inviting underage girls to have sex with you?
Guy 3: We aren’t loving pedophiles you rear end hole.
Me: Well technically no, you would be ephebophiles.
Guy 1: What the gently caress did you just call me.
Me: Glad to see your education paid off.You need to leave.
Guy 2: We aren’t leaving we paid for this ice cream and you can’t police the sidewalk in front of your store.
Me: I can and I will. If you aren’t gone in the next 5 minutes the police will be here. If you come back and I or anyone here sees you we will call the police. Now leave.

A truly epic speech.

So of course in the comments that followed someone surely called him out of the stdh aspects of his speech, or the fact that he sort of justified the behavior, or that his retort at the end really made no sense.

quote:

TIL there was such a thing as an Ephebophile.

quote:

For anyone interested in reading a SFW article about the different classes of 'pedophiles'. SFW in an odd sense; it's about pedos, but in a Scientific American Magazine way.

quote:

kudos for using ephebophile correctly.

quote:

Chivalry still exists! Good on you for standing up for your co-worker like that. This world needs more men like you and less boys like Justin Bieber.
Swag is for boys, class for men!

quote:

for people new to the term ephebophile, it is only a deviant behavior if it is a dominant (verging on exclusive) attraction. It is totally normal for men of all ages to find teenage girls attractive. In NO way am I standing up for those guys. I'm just worried about the tone some people are taking in the comment section. They were wrong for getting explicit with her, NOT for finding her attractive.
EVERYONE has a right to THINK of the woman as a sexual object, you're just not allowed to tell HER that!

quote:

Not defending the harassment, but depending on your state (assuming U.S.) 16 is not necessarily underage to consent to sex.
Whoa guys. Are we sure she was old enough that this was creepy?

Linear Ouroboros has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

"fatpeoplestories" posted:

Alright, I'm back with another FPS, this time from the local farmer's market. A man claims that his curves help him get "sexy", "curvy" women. (Just an FYI, I've been dropping a lot of weight, and I'm now at 155 lbs.)

Walking around the farmer's market, looking for some veggies

See hamplanet (from now on HP), ~6'0, ~400 lbs.

See he has a lot of veggies in his basket, smile (hate the fatlogic, not the fat)

Head over to stand that sells butter

Get knocked outta the way by HP

HP buys the last 10 lbs. of butter

Ask him if I can have a little bit

He says that he can control his own weight

Thoroughly confused

Explain that I need just a bit for cooking

Says that butter won't help me gain curves

WTF

Ask him what he means

He says I need curves to attract curvy women

MFW he says that I can't get a real women, "curvy" women

Says I'm underweight (155 lbs. at 5'9 is underweight, right?)

Just go to up to the paying stand

Hear him shout that next time I shouldn't be such an rear end in a top hat (look who's talking (I just wanted a little bit of butter from him))

TL;DR Hamplanet thinks I'm offering health advice by asking for butter.

Now that I look back, I probably shoulda told him I was gay so I could see the classic southerner reaction. Also, I realize I was a bit too beta.

What actually happened: a fat person bumped into me at walmart and gave me a funny look.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Morkyz posted:

What actually happened: a fat person bumped into me at walmart and gave me a funny look.

Isn't like 10 pounds of butter an enormous amount? I buy the little Country Crock tub things and those last a long time. I can't even imagine 10 pounds worth.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Didn't you read the story? He was FAT.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Linear Ouroboros posted:

Here's a doozy post from reddit, wasn't sure if it belonged more here or in awkward and ugly. It starts off with our hero discussing how he was promoted to supervisor at an ice cream parlor. The following happens at closing, after one of his employees goes out to wipe down outside tables.

Of course, she protests like the delicate flower she is that he shouldn't stand up for him, but he is chivalrous!
Mi'Lady

So with bad rear end parting words to call the cops if there's issues, he goes out to confront them. But, far more importantly to EDUCATE them.

A truly epic speech.

So of course in the comments that followed someone surely called him out of the stdh aspects of his speech, or the fact that he sort of justified the behavior, or that his retort at the end really made no sense.

Swag is for boys, class for men!

EVERYONE has a right to THINK of the woman as a sexual object, you're just not allowed to tell HER that!

Whoa guys. Are we sure she was old enough that this was creepy?

An ephebophile is just a pedofile with a thesaurus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

This tropes knows a person who was cooking a pizza while home alone. He heard a sound and so, pulled out a seven inch steak knife. The intruder, weilding a gun, broke into the house by the front door. The person with the knife hid behind a wall and waited for the intruder to pass by. The moment the guy did, the person took the knife and proceeded to stab the intruder several times in the stomach, chest, and limbs. He was not injured. It gets better. He was only 15 at the time. He weighed 123 pounds and stood only 5'1". His opponent was at least 6'4" and built like a tank.

quote:

This Troper's high school used to get ridiculously hot in the spring; we also had many ridiculously bratty, annoying kids, and ceiling fans that were so loud the teachers couldn't teach over them. One spring day, one of the English teachers had a virtual mutiny of grade seven students whining about how they wanted him to put the fan on, which he refused to do because of the noise, and instead turned up the heater to full blast for the rest of the period to prove the point.

quote:

Mort 08 is writing a parody of Nineteen Eighty Four in the hopes that her theatre will perform it next year. Because it's a youth theatre, I have to tone it down significantly, but I'm still trying to keep the general spirit of the original work. Once we get to the Ministry of Love, however, it's a different story. The O'Brien character torments the Winston character with the "Most Horrible Things," which include the sound of a rubber chicken we have that's infamous for the high-pitched and drawn out shrieking noise it makes when squeezed, the signature word of The Knights Who Say Ni, and a bad, bad imitation of Scarlett O'Hara. And that's all before Room 101! When we finally get there, O'Brien tells Winston he will break him with the one thing he fears more than anything else, the "Most Excruciating Song." He straps Winston to a chair, surrounds him with amps, gives himself some ear plugs, pushes a button...and what comes blasting through the speakers? Friday. Oh, but it gets better; turns out that for Winston, this is not the Most Excruciating Song, which leads to O'Brien desperately cycling through "Baby," "I Like To Move It" and the SpongeBob SquarePants theme song before finally finding the real Most Excruciating Song...the Rickroll. At this, Winston breaks. Hard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Did they bring back troper tales? Or are those from your personal archives?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Did they bring back troper tales? Or are those from your personal archives?

http://tropertales.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

That is not dead which can eternally be backed up on a wiki.

The formatting is all broken, and it can be a pain to navigate, but it's a treasure trove of wonderful and absolutely true stories.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

"It's not a fedora, it's just a weird growth on my head." :smith:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1. If that's how it went down that's at least manslaughter in a lot of states.

2. I like the idea that the school has these old, dilapidated ceiling fans, yet the teacher has his own thermostat with the power to turn the boiler on in spring.

3. I think this shit_happened - I'll believe that some moron is writing an awful 1984 parody. Note that this story, while retarded, is basically just a description of the concept and no one else has signed on to it.

some fantastic
Oct 29, 2010
Reddit has a thread going right now that is basically low-hanging STDH fruit.

Reddit: What is your best "met the high school bitch/bully as an adult" story?

quote:

In high school a group of girls were constantly mean to me for absolutely no reason. They just decided they didn't like me. They would call me a black eyed pea because they hated that band.
Anyway 10 years later the ring leader of the group friend requested me on Facebook. I declined it of course. I did take a quick glance at her page though and was glad to see that she is a "recovering" heroin addict and looks like poo poo.
I also heard that she spent some time in jail for leaving a friend to die that had overdosed on heroin.

What does this person think Facebook actually is?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

99% of these Sad Bear Meme Things sound like bullshit. So, the woman fires up the moving thinking it's Love, Actually, and just keeps going past the scientist's "plan speech" and all the way to the end. Spoilers: Colin Firth and Martin Freeman eat poop.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

quote:

I ran into a high school classmate a while back, I've posted this before but it bears repeating. A guy in High School just didn't like me and I him. We got into a big drat fight (he broke my nose and I knocked a couple of his teeth out) off campus. No police were involved but about 10 years later I saw him sleeping on the street near where I worked. I woke him up and asked him what was going on. He told me about his life after high school. He knocked up his girlfriend, her parents made them get married, divorce a year later. He got into drugs and ended up alienating everyone. I asked him if he was still using and he said no, he couldn't buy a dose anyway. I felt bad for him so I asked if he'd like to stay in my guesthouse (a one room cottage, set up like an efficiency apartment) for awhile. He took me up on it and got a night's sleep in an actual bed for the first time in years (his words). I bought him some clothes and fed him for about a month until I found him a job with a contractor I was doing some work for. Long story short, it's been 6 years, he now owns a contracting business, has a wife and a new baby boy, and just bought the house down the street from me.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Plan Z posted:

99% of these Sad Bear Meme Things sound like bullshit. So, the woman fires up the moving thinking it's Love, Actually, and just keeps going past the scientist's "plan speech" and all the way to the end. Spoilers: Colin Firth and Martin Freeman eat poop.

I know when I rent DVDs, which I do all the time because I don't know what a computer is, I take care not to look at the actual disc itself, and close my eyes as I skip past all the DVD menus and title screens.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cicadalek posted:

I know when I rent DVDs, which I do all the time because I don't know what a computer is, I take care not to look at the actual disc itself, and close my eyes as I skip past all the DVD menus and title screens.

Sometimes I like to go to movie rental places because they have weird, hard-to-find stuff I'd never have thought to watch otherwise -- but if I got a case with the wrong movie I'd complain about it, not watch the drat thing through.

Content

quote:

This troper's university had a policy that for every day late you handed in an assignment without an authorized extention, you would be deducted ten points from your grade -- e.g. if you hand an an assignment that would otherwise have got 70/100 two days late, it'd be reduced to 50/100. However, one of my housemates misinterpreted the rule and thought it was 10% of your overall mark deducted for every day it was late, and so handed an assignment in three weeks late, thinking that if he gave in a very good piece of work, it'd still pass even with the deduction. Result? The assignment got 65/100... which, with the deductions, gave a final mark of -145/100. Needless to say, he never finished his degree.

Seems legit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If that university thing happened to me, I too wouldn't finish my degree because it would make me realize I was going to Garbage University.
So even though it's STDH, the math checks out.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I would say maybe it was a vindictive Redbox AI that does it to rude customers. But I think even those machines understand human interaction better than most STDH authors.

Edit: STDH: someone went into a video store...

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Even if somebody misunderstood the policy to be -10% per day late, a score of 100% would be reduced to 10.9% if it was three weeks late.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Reddit is so edgy.

quote:

I used to have a friend that had a drug problem. I tried to help him, but he just ended up getting my mom hooked on them behind my back. I asked him to stop, but he was apparently making too much money.

This gets bad.

I started hanging out with his mom who's an alcoholic and can't walk. I formed a plan and started putting ideas in her head about never wanting to quit drinking and how comforting suicide is and how bad her only son was and how he only cared about money and that's why he tries to keep her from getting married (she has lots of money). In short, I convinced her to kill herself without actually saying I thought she should die. Now he has no mom and leaves mine alone.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Clients From Hell posted:

I work at a bank. Obviously, security is important here.

Me: Hello, you’re speaking to -

Client: (drunk and angry) F*** off and listen, my card isn’t working and I’m in a bar in Thailand waiting to get my c*** sucked. Fix it now.

Me: And this is a “Bank A” card, correct?

Client: Of course it is, why else would I ring you?

Me: Alright sir, but first -

Client: (swears under breathe)

Me: I need your customer ID number.

Client: What the f*** is that.

Me: The 16 digit number used for telephone and online banking.

Client: How the f*** am I supposed to now that?

Me: “Bank A” gives this number to you when you join us. It starts with your birthday and ends with four other numbers you should know.

Client: (shouting) Well I don’t f***ing know it, so just fix my card.

I tell him that before I can fix his card, I need to identify who he even is. I ask for his sort code and account number, and he only knows the sort code. I use this to bring up the first page of his account, which gives basics but no security information. It indicates that he is bankrupt, which may explain why the card isn’t working.

Me: Unfortunately, you will have to call back tomorrow and speak to the fraud team so they can ID you.

Client: What the f***ing f*** do you mean ‘call tomorrow’? I need it fixed now! If you don’t, I’ll sue you, not the bank, YOU, for not allowing me to just access my account without any hassle. Do you know who I am? I have millions of pounds in your bank and I will ruin you.

Me: Sir, threatening me will accomplish nothing. “Bank A” has specific guidelines to protect you, your account, and those ‘millions’ (remember, he’s bankrupt) of pounds.

A heavy silence.

Client: Did you say “Bank A?”

Me: Yes, my name is so-and-so and I work for “Bank A.”

Client: Nevermind, this is a “Bank B” card.

I always use my debit card to pay for hookers when I'm in another foreign country!

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I always use my debit card to pay for hookers when I'm in another foreign country!

I like the part where the computer will tell the operator that the dude is bankrupt but won't show him any sort of other information.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

vxskud posted:

I like the part where the computer will tell the operator that the dude is bankrupt but won't show him any sort of other information.

He's also able to look the guy and his bank balance up but it's not actually an account there.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
So, what do you suppose the most viewed post on NAW is?

NAW posted:

(My local theater is doing a limited-release showing of ‘My Little Pony: Equestria Girls’. While the franchise’s target audience is little girls, the latest incarnation of it is well-known for having a massive adult fan-base known as ‘bronies’. I’m standing in line behind a customer who looks to be in his mid-20s, wearing a hoodie with one of the more popular ponies on it.)

Customer: “I’d like four tickets for Equestria Girls please.”

Employee: “Are you buying these for your sister?”

Customer: “No. They’re for my friends and I.”

(He gestures somewhere behind the line, and points out two other guys and a girl wearing pony shirts.)

Employee: “Sir, you do know that that’s a kid’s movie, right?”

Customer: “I know, but my friends and I want to see it.”

Employee: “It’s for little girls.”

Customer: “I’m well aware of that. My friends and I like the show, and we want to see the movie.”

Employee: “No you don’t. The only adults who watch that movie put up with it to shut their bratty little daughters up for an hour.”

Customer: “Can I please just get the tickets?”

Employee: “Please get out of the line. I have other customers to attend to.”

(At this point, the customer just gives up trying to reason with him, and leaves the line. As he’s trying to explain to his friends what happened, I make my way to the ticket counter.)

Me: “Five for Equestria Girls, please. It’s for my daughter and her friends.”

(The employee rings me up with no question. I make my way over to the four friends behind the line, and try to give them four of the tickets.)

Me: “Sorry for how that idiot treated you.”

Customer: “It’s okay. You don’t have to do that.”

Me: “Take them. I insist.”

Customer: “Thanks.”

(He tries to hand me the money he was going to buy their tickets with, but I turn him down.)

Me: “That won’t be necessary.”

(I unzip my jacket to show them the pony shirt I’m wearing underneath.)

Me: “Us bronies have to stick together.”

(The five of us end up watching the movie together, and have a great time. Afterwards, they end up treating me to lunch as repayment for the tickets, and invite me to hang out with them.)
:suicide:

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
It's one thing to like a kids show, but making it such a huge drat part of your identity is just loving pathetic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The last dialogue line is actually a misquote. What he really said was, "Us bronies have to stick together given that real, civilized people hate all of us!"

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Minarch posted:

This is so unspeakably sad.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I feel bad for those little girls, what with having their movie turned into a MST3K riff fest.

Edit:

:smithicide:

Morkyz has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Aug 15, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TEACH TO LITTLE GIRLS HOW TO FRIENDZONE

How eloquent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Minarch posted:

I think the saddest part (if the story is to be believed) is that the guy went to see this My Little Pony movie by himself. So much for friendship.

:smug: In your face, mom!

• Locked thread