Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The Vancouver Translink Fategate Fiasco (or how about FareGate? :hurr:) continues to broaden from merely a total waste of $100 million dollars into a complete clusterfuck with classist overtones.

-Two weeks ago, it was revealed that two of the most popular forms of discounted fare were going to be eliminated because of "fairness". The first is the annual bus pass program, where you get 15% off the monthly rate by agreeing to sign up for a year of automatic withdrawls from your paystub, which kind of seems like a no-brainer to me from a revenue stability perspective, but whatever. The second, though, is just a pure attack on low income people: they're eliminating the discounted books of fare tickets entirely. Now you have to use a reloadable Compass and conform to their stupid loving system, instead of being able to buy tickets at any convenience or drug store in the city. And you have to pay the fare difference, naturally.

-This dovetails perfectly into today's latest piece of fuckery: they've just announced that if you pay cash fare on a bus, you will not be able to use your transfer to board Skytrain, period, full stop. No alternative solution is being presented, it's just a nope, sorry, we're completely changing the fare transparency model of the Vancouver transit system without any public consultation, have fun cya bye.

The day these gates go live and people are fully confronted with the reality of how much money was wasted making the system both worse AND more expensive, I fully expect people to lose their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

How many corporations have CEOs that make so little? Not enough. $319,900/yr + benefits is a fortune and more than enough for anyone anywhere. If you're having any money trouble whatsoever at that level of income, it's because you're some kind of consumerist rear end in a top hat.

Don't be loving obtuse, that's $319,000 a year for literally the second most powerful person in the country. The pay scale below that is commensurately steep, and that was his entire point in saying "public service doesn't actually pay that well for most jurisdictions most of the time".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Now express that wage in terms of the annual profits of corporations who might have something to gain from influencing said powerful person.

Fine-able Offense posted:

-Two weeks ago, it was revealed that two of the most popular forms of discounted fare were going to be eliminated because of "fairness". The first is the annual bus pass program, where you get 15% off the monthly rate by agreeing to sign up for a year of automatic withdrawls from your paystub, which kind of seems like a no-brainer to me from a revenue stability perspective, but whatever. The second, though, is just a pure attack on low income people: they're eliminating the discounted books of fare tickets entirely. Now you have to use a reloadable Compass and conform to their stupid loving system, instead of being able to buy tickets at any convenience or drug store in the city. And you have to pay the fare difference, naturally.

Ottawa did something similar with the on-again-off-again Ecopass program and the short-lived annual fare deal, benching them both in favour of Presto cards that are no cheaper and promised to work at least some of the time.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Vancouver Translink Fategate Fiasco (or how about FareGate? :hurr:) continues to broaden from merely a total waste of $100 million dollars into a complete clusterfuck with classist overtones.

-This dovetails perfectly into today's latest piece of fuckery: they've just announced that if you pay cash fare on a bus, you will not be able to use your transfer to board Skytrain, period, full stop. No alternative solution is being presented, it's just a nope, sorry, we're completely changing the fare transparency model of the Vancouver transit system without any public consultation, have fun cya bye.

The day these gates go live and people are fully confronted with the reality of how much money was wasted making the system both worse AND more expensive, I fully expect people to lose their poo poo.

Well at least they didn't bother to fix that flaw that was identified when they first started construction. The best part of this is that the transfers are probably still valid on the skytrain, you just cannot get past the gate with them.

Normally I am pretty forgiving of Translink since most of their really squirrelly crap seems to come from the Provincial government, however someone deserves to swing for this. Hopefully Pivot or someone else has them in court over it shortly.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

ZShakespeare posted:

You know what would be awesome? If I became the CEO of a company with massive income and a huge debt, and could say "let's just ignore the debt because it was those other guys that did that" and enjoy all the benefits of the income.
Wow, you just managed to blend two liberal bugaboos into one total strawman.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Don't be loving obtuse, that's $319,000 a year for literally the second most powerful person in the country. The pay scale below that is commensurately steep, and that was his entire point in saying "public service doesn't actually pay that well for most jurisdictions most of the time".
Relative to what?
CEO pay - the kind that actually influence this discussion and not Joe Startup in Waterloo - is a loving disgrace. I don't want the Public Service using something as immoral and deranged as Wall Street CEO compensation as a benchmark for its own pay structure.

If that makes me "obtuse" then I guess I'm fine with that.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Relative to what?
CEO pay - the kind that actually influence this discussion and not Joe Startup in Waterloo - is a loving disgrace. I don't want the Public Service using something as immoral and deranged as Wall Street CEO compensation as a benchmark for its own pay structure.

If that makes me "obtuse" then I guess I'm fine with that.

But but but... free market.

We should always look to the private sector to decide how we do things. gently caress reasoning. What Would the Banks Do?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Just don't buy cash fares? The cards will be reloadable with cash at the TVMs. Whats the fuggin problem here

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 14, 2013

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

The second, though, is just a pure attack on low income people: they're eliminating the discounted books of fare tickets entirely. Now you have to use a reloadable Compass and conform to their stupid loving system, instead of being able to buy tickets at any convenience or drug store in the city. And you have to pay the fare difference, naturally.

I thought I had read that you can still buy 10 faresaver fares at the same price as, they just have to go on the card instead of you getting a booklet. Not that making people invest the $10 deposit or whatever on the card isn't going to be an issue for some, but surely they aren't eliminating the discount for buying fares in bulk?

THC posted:

Just don't use cash fares? Compass cards will be free. Whats the fuggin problem here
Has Translink confirmed they will be free? I've never been anywhere that didn't charge a deposit on an RFID fare card. Even if they're free, it's still a pain for visitors to the city who start their trip on a bus instead of a station, they have to pay double fare on their first journey. Every other city I've been to has managed to install an RFID fare system while retaining the ability to use magnetic paper tickets issued from bus fare boxes.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 14, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The faregates are idiotic and the implementation is terrible (some stations have the TVMs behind the faregates, wtf) and translink is poo poo but I think the cards are a good idea. Looking forward to not having to physically pay fares.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I use Translink like maybe 2, 3 times a year. Sometimes I start my trip on a bus and then use the skytrain. I don't want to pay $5 for the luxury of having a card that I'm going to spend MAYBE $10 on over the course of a year, but I also don't want to have to pay double because I happen to need to take a bus before getting on a skytrain.

Cards are fine and I can understand how they'd be great for a good chunk of the population, but not everyone!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well it's awfully nice that we know how much money Pamela Wallin allegedly misappropriated so we'll be able to get it all ba

:eng99:

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Well it's awfully nice that we know how much money Pamela Wallin allegedly misappropriated so we'll be able to get it all ba

I think we should audit the auditors to ensure that their audit was on the up and up!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

flakeloaf posted:

Is it really necessary to engage Deloitte to do this kind of work? Do we not pay civil servants to do these things?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Paper Mac posted:

Is it really necessary to engage Deloitte to do this kind of work? Do we not pay civil servants to do these things?

The key to an objective third party audit, is that it can't, unfortunately, be someone who is employed by the same company. That being said I don't disagree that it would make way more sense and potentially cost way less if the CRA could do it.

Addendum: but all that to say it would be like if a company's shareholders alleged there was a fiscal impropriety and then the company did an internal audit and said "No.", or "Yes." Really, either way it would be hard to hold it up in court that there was no CoI.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Team THEOLOGY posted:

The key to an objective third party audit, is that it can't, unfortunately, be someone who is employed by the same company.

So how does the Auditor General work?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I'm actually OK with the cost being a wash, based on the theory that visible audits that actually find fault with expense reports discourage others from trying to pull this kind of stuff.

Admittedly this is based off of no evidence.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Paper Mac posted:

So how does the Auditor General work?

Notice that the auditor generals reports are frequently the cause of arguments and aren't used in legal proceedings to fry people who dun gently caress up.

But more important the AG is like the internal controller for the government. As many companies have. But still those companies engage in a yearly or bi-annum private audit to ensure its veracity.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm okay with Wallin paying back less than the cost of the audit, because it's the principle of it which matters.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I lived in London for years and I think Compass can't come into effect soon enough. On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous that discounts are being eliminated when the Oyster system in London provides the very same discounts to students, seniors and disadvantaged. As a student, I was issued a special Oyster card which identified me as such.

There must be some information missing here because Translink's story, or whatever is being reported in the news, is madness.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Notice that the auditor generals reports are frequently the cause of arguments and aren't used in legal proceedings to fry people who dun gently caress up.

I'm pretty sure they're still considered independent reports? The idea that you can't achieve legitimate independence in the public sector because it's all one "company" is really strange to me- we clearly have lots of independent public entities with non-overlapping interests. Auditing standards are promulgated by the government anyway, so it's not like it's ever possible to achieve an audit that's totally independent of public sector input. I really don't see the need for private sector entities to take profits every time someone in the government fucks up and we need to demonstrate they hosed up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

I lived in London for years and I think Compass can't come into effect soon enough. On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous that discounts are being eliminated when the Oyster system in London provides the very same discounts to students, seniors and disadvantaged. As a student, I was issued a special Oyster card which identified me as such.

There must be some information missing here because Translink's story, or whatever is being reported in the news, is madness.

I think it's two parts Translink being legitimately terrible, and one part "ARGH TRANSLINK :argh:" populism

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm okay with Wallin paying back less than the cost of the audit, because it's the principle of it which matters.

Yeah, the principle of preventing corruption is good enough that I'm willing to spend money on it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I lived in London for years and I think Compass can't come into effect soon enough.

Why?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Because then the poors that can't afford a ticket can't use the public transportation MY TAXES pay for.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

HookShot posted:

Because then the poors that can't afford a ticket can't use the public transportation MY TAXES pay for.

If you believe Translink's projections for how much revenue they will gain from reducing fare evasion which you should not do because they are bullshit, it will still take longer to recoup the cost of the faregates than their projected useful lifecycle.

And that doesn't include the $25m cost for allowing the system to accept bus transfers, which, spoiler alert, they will be forced to do by the public backlash from this loving fiasco.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Translink is basically the poster child for bad decisions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mostly convenience. My Oyster card was tied to my debit/credit card and would automatically fill up whenever I ran out of credit. Oyster is also great for tourists because it would stop charging you after something like 7 GBP in transit charges. I could also use it for multiple modes of transport, from DLR to underground to bus to overground. And indirectly, I know that Oyster data is valuable in helping Transport for London plan for resource usage to a relatively high degree. All the swiping in and out gives transit planners better information on what routes are being used the most.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Faregates are dumb, RFID cards are not. The cards will allow them to gather extremely detailed information about transit users' habits, which means they can make adjustments to the system that are more effective and economical. They will also be more convenient than cash fares to transit users who have bank accounts, which is like 95% of us probably.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Mostly convenience. My Oyster card was tied to my debit/credit card and would automatically fill up whenever I ran out of credit. Oyster is also great for tourists because it would stop charging you after something like 7 GBP in transit charges. I could also use it for multiple modes of transport, from DLR to underground to bus to overground. And indirectly, I know that Oyster data is valuable in helping Transport for London plan for resource usage to a relatively high degree. All the swiping in and out gives transit planners better information on what routes are being used the most.

That seems like a very good reason to waste $170 million dollars on a system that will not work and will result in horrific lineups, as well as eliminating several popular fare alternatives.

THC posted:

Faregates are dumb, RFID cards are not. The cards will allow them to gather extremely detailed information about transit users' habits, which means they can make adjustments to the system that are more effective and economical. They will also be more convenient than cash fares to transit users who have bank accounts, which is like 95% of us probably.

Is this a joke? Are you joking?

You know that volume of ridership is literally the last of the many reasons Translink makes service decisions, right?

Also: yeah man gently caress the poor for not having credit/debit cards, let those fuckers hump it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Reminder that the 2012 Translink audit found that $70 million dollars of procurement was inappropriately done without a competitive bidding process.

You could literally let every fare evader in the city ride for free for the entire expected useful life of the faregates for that much money. :thumbsup:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

That seems like a very good reason to waste $170 million dollars on a system that will not work and will result in horrific lineups, as well as eliminating several popular fare alternatives.

Is this a joke? Are you joking?

You know that volume of ridership is literally the last of the many reasons Translink makes service decisions, right?

Also: yeah man gently caress the poor for not having credit/debit cards, let those fuckers hump it.

gently caress this. I thought I'd try and answer you points but it's really not worth it since you seem to get off on being dick.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I still don't understand why transit isn't free and based on property taxes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

cowofwar posted:

I still don't understand why transit isn't free and based on property taxes.

Look at Rob Ford's rants about the war on cars.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Reminder that the 2012 Translink audit found that $70 million dollars of procurement was inappropriately done without a competitive bidding process.
Do you have a link for that, I wasn't able to find anything on Google.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

gently caress this. I thought I'd try and answer you points but it's really not worth it since you seem to get off on being dick.

He's not being a dick pointing out that your reasons are selfish and petty (and false) and the bad sides to this far far outweigh whatever small convenience it is for you.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm saying convenience isn't a reason to spend that much money. Guess who agrees with me? The CEO of Translink!

The Georgia Straight posted:

TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast acknowledged in the authority’s press release that a Smart Card system that collects ridership and service figures “can be done independently of fare gates”.

The press release states that Vancouverites “have perceived for some time that a greater sense of security will result from the introduction of fare gates”. It suggests that the absence of fare gates—and the accompanying perceived safety risk to transit users—discourages people from using public transportation.

According to Prendergast, the new fare gates will reassure the public that “fare evasion issues are being addressed” and will increase ridership.

You could have your reloadable Oyster-type card that collects ridership data at a fraction of the cost and without having to redesign stations and create rush hour nightmares, and the loving guy who made the decision admits as much. The stated reason is making middle class people feel better about them fuckin' poors getting a free ride. :argh:

Edit:

ZShakespeare posted:

Do you have a link for that, I wasn't able to find anything on Google.

Section 5.8.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I don't get the safety angle. If someone is going to break the law by threatening your safety etc. wouldn't they also be willing to break the law by bypassing fare gates? Or is it that people are afraid of other is wheelchairs and rascals?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't get the safety angle. If someone is going to break the law by threatening your safety etc. wouldn't they also be willing to break the law by bypassing fare gates? Or is it that people are afraid of other is wheelchairs and rascals?

Ha ha funny story about the faregates: because they don't have the capacity to actually handle the volume of people going through them in the mornings, the transit police have been told to set them to permanently open "at first" so as to handle the traffic.

Hint: the traffic will never reduce, so they will never be used, at least in the mornings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Man, I can't wait to see if/when OC transpo adopts then and how they manage to gently caress up worse that Vancouver. Because I can guarantee you one thing, it;s that OC transpo will gently caress it up worse!

• Locked thread