Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The Ramble is so good even my girlfriend who doesn't watch football enjoys it. I'd buy Lukey a pint if I met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ramble's love letter profile of David Beckham is excellent this week. It's a good reminder that he actually was a very talented player.

When it's a player they've seen and know well, that segment can be really good.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The ramble is excellent, I really enjoy it. Football weekly can be really good with the right people but it also can just be ok with other people.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I usually skip the Football Weekly's that lack Barry. Even if the other people on the show are terrible the Barry & Jimbo chemistry still makes up for it.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I've no idea why Football Weekly's bothering to cover the Confederations Cup every day but i'm grateful for it

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Monday Bandele posted:

I've no idea why Football Weekly's bothering to cover the Confederations Cup every day but i'm grateful for it
The sports desk has a team of staff writers, there's no world cup this summer and the transfer window isn't open. They honestly might just have nothing better to do.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

So English football is officially back this weekend (albeit the Football League). Any word from either Football Weekly or the Ramble as to when the first pods of the season will appear? I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Are we getting season previews at all? I know Football Weekly usually do one. Can't remember when it comes out though, probably Thursday?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Mickolution posted:

Are we getting season previews at all? I know Football Weekly usually do one. Can't remember when it comes out though, probably Thursday?

I think I saw AC Jimbo tweeting that something would be out on Tuesday

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mickolution posted:

Tomorrow, I think.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, thanks.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
The Game have their first pod of the year out. Direct mp3 link I think The Game tends to be better than Football Weekly.

EPLTalk have a 2-part season preview part 1 part 2

The guys who used to host Off The Ball quit their radio station and are now releasing podcasts as The Second Captains. If it's labeled "The Second Captains" it tends to have a lot of Ireland sport talk but every Tuesday and Thursday they're releasing "The Second Captains - Football" which is 1hr+ of quality soccer talk.
David James was a recent guest and tore into Gary Neville for a conflict of interest coaching England and seemingly not criticizing England players for Sky

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

:siren: Football Ramble is back :siren:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ragle posted:

The Game have their first pod of the year out. Direct mp3 link I think The Game tends to be better than Football Weekly.

Agreed. Would have said FW in the past, but The Game's a lot better these days.

Raffles posted:

:siren: Football Ramble is back :siren:

Boom. That's all three I listen to available today.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Agreed. Would have said FW in the past, but The Game's a lot better these days.

If Paddy Barclay and the scouse guy are still on then this cant be possible.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, The Game is unlistenable when Tony Evans is on.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Nothing beats the Jimbo/Barry combo.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

If Paddy Barclay and the scouse guy are still on then this cant be possible.

Barkley pissed off to The Sun (I think?) about 18months back. Not sure if that was before or after he had a go at Liverpool fans over Hysel. I like Tony Evans, but that could be because I'm a Liverpool fan.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The problem with the game is it's just marcotti using the same shtick he used a decade ago on talksport which is just shouting ridiculously hyperbolic questions then waiting for bored sounding people to calmly rely to him.

It was boring back then but it's really grating now. They should get some one different to host and just have him as a pundit (which he is decent at).

Also having people on the phone for large parts of it really kills any sort of conversation or flow. It all seems really cobbled together.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Wirth1000 posted:

Nothing beats the Jimbo/Barry combo.

Jimbo tweeted about it almost twelve hours ago, but still no pod.. https://twitter.com/acjimbo/status/367187419864784896

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Jippa posted:

Also having people on the phone for large parts of it really kills any sort of conversation or flow. It all seems really cobbled together.

There's a guy who's always on the phone who just mumbles and stumbles over his own words -- he's on this episode, but I forget his name.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Jimbo tweeted about it almost twelve hours ago, but still no pod.. https://twitter.com/acjimbo/status/367187419864784896

Might be a video pod? Those always take longer to edit and release.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Jippa posted:

The problem with the game is it's just marcotti using the same shtick he used a decade ago on talksport which is just shouting ridiculously hyperbolic questions then waiting for bored sounding people to calmly rely to him.

It was boring back then but it's really grating now. They should get some one different to host and just have him as a pundit (which he is decent at).

Football First in Europe with him, Balague and Durham was amazing and I'd kill to have recordings of some of their arguments.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

I know what you mean, but I like Marcotti's style. Yes, a lot of what he says is hyperbole, but I think that often leads to better debates than on some of the others, where they just all have the same opinions a lot of the time. The phone stuff doesn't bother me either. I find I soon get used to it and at least they're involved with all the guests, unline FW, where it's mostly just Richardson talking to the phone correspondents.

I don't know, as a lot of people have said, Football Weekly just lost something last season. I can't put my finger on it, though it's probably just that I've been listening to it for over 6 seasons now. Anything would go a bit stale after that length of time.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Homura posted:

There's a guy who's always on the phone who just mumbles and stumbles over his own words -- he's on this episode, but I forget his name.

It is Oliver Kay. The Game is a decent podcast. I do agree that Marcotti would probably be better as a pundit than the host of the show. One thing I really like about The Game is that they have Rory Smith.

psyer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 14, 2013

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I like Marcotti as host, he challenges the other pundits/journalists to have substantive opinions rather than fall back on cliches. If someone else on the pod says "I can't see United winning the title this year without Ferguson" Marcotti is likely to offer an argument in the other direction and then the original speaker elaborates on what they mean. This is better than just saying the aforementioned quote and leaving it at that.

The Spanish Football Podcast was surprisingly good: https://soundcloud.com/thespanishfootballpodcast Sid Lowe somehow not longwinded

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ragle posted:

The Spanish Football Podcast was surprisingly good: https://soundcloud.com/thespanishfootballpodcast Sid Lowe somehow not longwinded

....they couldnt up with a better podcast name then that?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So who are the other four players to play in England and Italy? Ian Rush jumped to mind straight away.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Mark Hateley?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

peanut- posted:

So who are the other four players to play in England and Italy? Ian Rush jumped to mind straight away.
I haven't listened to it, it must mean four English players? I would have thought there would be more than four in history.

Beckham, Gazza, Paul Ince? Joe Jordan played for Leeds and Milan but he's Scottish. Souness played in Italy somewhere after Liverpool.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 14, 2013

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah sorry, English players. They had Ince, Gazza, Platt, Des Walker, Daniel Dichio, Lee Sharpe and David Beckham, and there's 12 total.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The story about the nigerian match fixing was amazing.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Franz Carr

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Also Paul Rideout and Mark Hateley

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jimmy Greaves

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Jay Bothroyd.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Pat Mustard posted:

Jay Bothroyd.

The pod got him, although going to his wikipedia unearthed this gem:

During his time at Perugia, he befriended then-Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi's third son, Al-Saadi Gaddafi. At the end of October 2011, Bothroyd said of Al-Saadi:

"Saadi is a friend of mine. I saw him about 10 months ago when he was in London. All this drama. His dad is obviously a tyrant and he dictated over his countrymen through fear but Saadi was never like that. He was always friendly and polite. When he bought his house in Hampstead he asked me what I thought of it. He even came to my wedding. Obviously he used to have parties and stuff and he would invite me to Cannes to watch the Grand Prix. For his birthday he would fly me over on his plane. People who don’t know him might say he’s like this or like that or like his dad, but I’ve never seen that. I looked at him like a friend. He wasn't the best [footballer] but he did it as a hobby. He's a billionaire but it was something he wanted to do. He wanted to play football, to come in every day and train. And he did it, to be fair. He never expected any special treatment. But obviously there were his bodyguards around. It is very strange for me. People will say to me, 'how can you be friends with this guy?' But you can only judge people on how you see them. He was always nice to me. I never met his brothers or his dad, they must be completely different. It has been weird. He paid for my honeymoon. He asked me what we were doing for it and I told him we hadn’t decided yet. So he said he’d sort something out for me. He paid for us to go to LA for a week and then on to Hawaii. All first-class travel and top hotels. It was very generous. That's the side I see of him. I don’t see the other side. I don’t know it. There's always corruption where there's power, so you never know. His country want him back to prosecute him but they want to kill him apparently. It's all politics and I don’t really know about it. I just know that innocent people should never get hurt."[10]

e: Gaddafi's son was at Perugia at the same time as Bothroyd and came on for one sub appearance :aaaaa:

Hashtag Nascar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 14, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Trevor Francis

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm a regular listener of both The Ramble and The Guardian podcast, is there anything else decent out there? I've read the OP but none of them really tickle my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Football Weekly is back. :allears: