Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ImpAtom posted:

You are literally arguing that hitting a guy is worse than mass genocide and universal enslavement.

No, but emotional manipulation, bullying, and what amounts to cult enslavement is being done by the hero. SUre, the villains are worse, but holy gently caress you cannot get behind the hero at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clawshrimpy posted:

I don't know, with how morally repugnant the "heroes" of humanity are in TTGL, you almost want the Anti-Spiral to succeed, or at the very least, maybe Simon should have been allowed to live in the caves for the rest of his life, and Kamina shouldn't have forced him.

Aha! We finally find the root of the problem! You are the Anti-Spiral!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, but emotional manipulation, bullying, and what amounts to cult enslavement is being done by the hero. SUre, the villains are worse, but holy gently caress you cannot get behind the hero at all.

Can you please upload the version of gurren lagann you watched? Because it sounds wierd as hell.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

Can you please upload the version of gurren lagann you watched? Because it sounds wierd as hell.

Inspirational speeches are used by bullies and are clearly abusive, come on guys it's obvious.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

And I thought Zorak's interpretation of TTGL and his revisionist reasons for hating it were insane, but this takes a cake.

Can we just start replying to his posts with phone numbers for tele-counseling or something because we're just talking to a brick wall of sperg that won't go away until he just breaks a rule badly enough.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Paper Lion posted:

And I thought Zorak's interpretation of TTGL and his revisionist reasons for hating it were insane, but this takes a cake.

I would enjoy reading these posts.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

60+ replies since last night? Something new super robot show must have been announced!
Nope. Just Clawshrimpy being a troll. Why did he waste $10 on an account again?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Google Clawshrimpy. I don't think he's trolling, guys. It makes the last few pages considerably more depressing.

Clawshrimpy, we're here for ya buddy. I know ya just want a hero, we can be your hero. No punching in the face or anything. :unsmith:

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Monaghan posted:

Inspirational speeches are used by bullies and are clearly abusive, come on guys it's obvious.

I still don't get how a show like this where the "heroes" are outright pushy jerks are in any way "heroic or inspiring"?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

The constant talk of brainwashing and manipulation is just making me imagine an elaborate fan-edit where Kamina and Simon have Geass powers.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Google Clawshrimpy. I don't think he's trolling, guys. It makes the last few pages considerably more depressing.

Yeah, I know he's damaged and not trolling. It's why I'm trying to get people to just ignore him or send help.

For a man that loves GGG he sure doesn't keep the oath of courage anywhere near his heart :smith:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

I still don't get how a show like this where the "heroes" are outright pushy jerks are in any way "heroic or inspiring"?

encouraging someone to conqueror their fears and believe in themselves is not being a pushy jerk you weirdo.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Monaghan posted:

encouraging someone to conqueror their fears and believe in themselves is not being a pushy jerk you weirdo.

By forcing them to do what they don't want to do, passive agressive teasing, throwing loving boulders, and punching is teaching someone to conquer their fears? Really?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Monaghan posted:

But he punched him, and no even slightly violent act has made anything at all better anywhere ever in the history of acts being done!

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

But he punched him, and no even slightly violent act has made anything at all better anywhere ever in the history of acts being done!

It was the punch on top of everything else, the way Kamina would constantly berate Simon for not being how he wanted him to act, throwing Boulders at him, and tons of other abuse.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So basically being An Older Brother is deplorable.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MG42 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the Dragon's Heaven manga, but Mandarake is selling this:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1294906.html

Might be worth checking out

I think that's it. I completely forgot about sites like Mandrake. He might want to check if Yahoo Japan's auctions have anything too.

AradoBalanga posted:

60+ replies since last night? Something new super robot show must have been announced!
Nope. Just Clawshrimpy being a troll. Why did he waste $10 on an account again?
If a new super robot show got announced this thread would get like four posts max. Great-hen itself would probably only illicit half a page. It takes hate and lovely opinions to move this thread.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

So basically being An Older Brother is deplorable.

Guy was an older brother figure to Mamoru and he never did any of that stuff.

In fact, Guy loving hated himself the one time he had to harm who he thought was Mamoru in FINAL.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clawshrimpy posted:

In fact, Guy loving hated himself the one time he had to harm who he thought was Mamoru in FINAL.

Please stop spoiling Final. Not all of us have seen GGG seven hundred times.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Clawshrimpy posted:

A Japanese kid calling someone "Nii-chan" does not automatically make their relationship brotherly. If anything, Guy is more like Mamoru's cool uncle, the one who lets him stay up late playing with giant robots.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I was planning on watching GGG eventually, but Clawshrimpy (:sax:) is making it sound really boring. Is it as black and white as he says? I don't even care about the characters morality, I would be looking for HOT BLOOD and BURNING SPIRIT, but he hasn't mentioned any of that stuff in his explanations about why GGG is good. Are Clawshrimpy's opinions about the good parts of GGG as insane and off-base as his opinions about TTGL?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

GGG is a great show and do not let shrimpy deter you from it. The writing is exactly what it needs to be (SPACEMAGIC IS MAKING PEOPLE INTO MONSTERS GOTTA GO BEAT THEM UP) and it's pretty well animated for the time and as the show goes on it picks up a plot and becomes good as a show rather than good as a toy commercial. Any sane person would tell you that GGG is a good show but not the best written show, because it is aimed at tiny babies with their lizardbrains.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GGG does have its fair share of hot blooded action. I mean when you have a giant robot that's literally powered by courage it's a bit hard not too.

That said, I think the thing you gotta worry about is your tolerance for the monster of the week formula*. A majority of the first half of the show is monster of the week. 20-something episodes of monster of the week can be a tough pill to swallow today, when so many shows are a mere 13 episodes. If you can tolerate that format then I say go for it! Even though there's a fair share of stock footage I still found the action side of things to be fun.

*The Sailor Moon thread had a pretty good list of what episodes to watch and which to skip. I feel like GGG could use the same. Does anyone know if there's one out there? I've never had any luck when trying to find one and there are so many early episodes that are just "Guy or someone else uses a toyetic weapon that is never used again".

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

wateyad posted:

A Japanese kid calling someone "Nii-chan" does not automatically make their relationship brotherly. If anything, Guy is more like Mamoru's cool uncle, the one who lets him stay up late playing with giant robots.

No, their relationship is incredibly brotherly. There's a reason Guy was in tears when he tore the Mamoru clone out of GaoGaiGar

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

GGG does have its fair share of hot blooded action. I mean when you have a giant robot that's literally powered by courage it's a bit hard not too.

That said, I think the thing you gotta worry about is your tolerance for the monster of the week formula*. A majority of the first half of the show is monster of the week. 20-something episodes of monster of the week can be a tough pill to swallow today, when so many shows are a mere 13 episodes. If you can tolerate that format then I say go for it! Even though there's a fair share of stock footage I still found the action side of things to be fun.

*The Sailor Moon thread had a pretty good list of what episodes to watch and which to skip. I feel like GGG could use the same. Does anyone know if there's one out there? I've never had any luck when trying to find one and there are so many early episodes that are just "Guy or someone else uses a toyetic weapon that is never used again".

I think one would miss out on key character development if you skipped any of the episodes, especially as far as Mamoru's character development is concerned.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You are literally a big poopy pants baby.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Srice posted:

I've never had any luck when trying to find one and there are so many early episodes that are just "Guy or someone else uses a toyetic weapon that is never used again".

Are there really that many instances of that? Usually in GaoGaiGar, when a new tool is introduced, they end up using it several more times. Often with its own specific theme song!

Watching every episode also helped me notice how the opening changes gradually as they introduce new characters. Or the way that they tried to set up some sort of mystery, or a small cliffhangar, with just about every episode, to hook you into watching the next.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

I was talking about actual older siblings. Ones in real life. Ones that you clearly aren't, don't have, and may have never actually met one of. Not nearly flawless ones from a Japanese cartoon aimed at children.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Silento posted:

I was planning on watching GGG eventually, but Clawshrimpy (:sax:) is making it sound really boring. Is it as black and white as he says? I don't even care about the characters morality, I would be looking for HOT BLOOD and BURNING SPIRIT, but he hasn't mentioned any of that stuff in his explanations about why GGG is good. Are Clawshrimpy's opinions about the good parts of GGG as insane and off-base as his opinions about TTGL?

It's completely pointless to watch it for action. Yo'd be missing the point of how engaging it is as a science-fiction piece about the ralationship between mankind and artificial intelligence.

It'd be the equivalent of watching The Matrix for explosions, or playing Deus Ex just to shoot guys.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Silento posted:

I've seen a few episodes here and there, and it is a pretty good show. It definitely picks up partway through story-wise and is very definitely a response to the tone of Evangelion (a show I don't like but let's not open that can of worms) and there's certainly more depth than Clawshrimpy seems to have noticed, his definition of depth ironically being the exact opposite.

Well great, now I'm going to start watching GaoGaiGar. Thanks for reminding me, Shrimpy.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Depending on how much toy tolerance you can handle, either start from around ep 12 for Volfogg. Otherwise just start at 23 for Mic Sounders. You'll get a clipshow at around 26 so either way you'll be in the loop.

The only thing you need to know from the first 23 episodes is that Pizza Was Once A Man, Volfogg blows chunks and is the second worst robot only to Big Volfogg and Mic Sounders is the protagonist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

Are there really that many instances of that? Usually in GaoGaiGar, when a new tool is introduced, they end up using it several more times. Often with its own specific theme song!

Watching every episode also helped me notice how the opening changes gradually as they introduce new characters. Or the way that they tried to set up some sort of mystery, or a small cliffhangar, with just about every episode, to hook you into watching the next.

It has been awhile so I might have been exaggerating a little, but I think Guy only used those giant pliers once?

But either way, I don't really count "introduces a new weapon" as a must see episode unless it's something that has a little importance to the story as well (such as, say, the Goldion Hammer).

Paper Lion posted:

Depending on how much toy tolerance you can handle, either start from around ep 12 for Volfogg. Otherwise just start at 23 for Mic Sounders. You'll get a clipshow at around 26 so either way you'll be in the loop.

The only thing you need to know from the first 23 episodes is that Pizza Was Once A Man, Volfogg blows chunks and is the second worst robot only to Big Volfogg and Mic Sounders is the protagonist.

Oh right, I forgot all about that clipshow.

I guess what I really was thinking of was: "Which episodes are the Zonder Plant episodes" since if I ever rewatch I'd probably watch the first episode and just those for the first half.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 14, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

It's completely pointless to watch it for action. Yo'd be missing the point of how engaging it is as a science-fiction piece about the ralationship between mankind and artificial intelligence.

It'd be the equivalent of watching The Matrix for explosions, or playing Deus Ex just to shoot guys.

Oh for gently caress's sake, a boy and his robot buddies is not a deep look at the relationship of mankind and aritifical intelligence.

Watch Gaogaigar, it has fun characters and some good fights.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hbomberguy posted:

I've seen a few episodes here and there, and it is a pretty good show. It definitely picks up partway through story-wise and is very definitely a response to the tone of Evangelion (a show I don't like but let's not open that can of worms) and there's certainly more depth than Clawshrimpy seems to have noticed, his definition of depth ironically being the exact opposite.

Well great, now I'm going to start watching GaoGaiGar. Thanks for reminding me, Shrimpy.

Be warned it's a bit of a monster of the week slog for the first 18 or so episodes. Everything after that's amazing though.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Uhh the one where they introduce Goldytank has the anti gravity lady and I think that one involves zonder metal plants but I am pretty sure the clipshow is the first half of the episode that leads into the big zonder plant fight and pasdar emerging and everyone getting a solo fight and stuff

also he uses pliers many times

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Hbomberguy posted:

Unofficial ADTRW Simulwatchathon XV: Shut Up, Clawshrimpy (Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, King of Braves GaoGaiGar)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

Unofficial ADTRW Simulwatchathon XV: Shut Up, Clawshrimpy (Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, King of Braves GaoGaiGar)

:getin: how do we make this happen

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

It has been awhile so I might have been exaggerating a little, but I think Guy only used those giant pliers once?

But either way, I don't really count "introduces a new weapon" as a must see episode unless it's something that has a little importance to the story as well (such as, say, the Goldion Hammer).

Oh right, I forgot all about that clipshow.

I guess what I really was thinking of was: "Which episodes are the Zonder Plant episodes" since if I ever rewatch I'd probably watch the first episode and just those for the first half.

By doing this and skipping so many episodes, you would be missing key parts of Mamoru and Guy's character evolution. And about some of the Huan/AI angles by missing part of HyoRyu and ENryu's development.

I don't see what the point of cutting that out would be?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Like, really, I hope it is, but people in this thread have said you have a history of comments like this. The Matrix is an action movie. People watch it for the action/special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Monaghan posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, a boy and his robot buddies is not a deep look at the relationship of mankind and aritifical intelligence.

Watch Gaogaigar, it has fun characters and some good fights.

Yes it is, when you also consider that the ZOnders and the Sol Lords are rogue AIs that are misled and sympathetic. Combined witht he character development Hyoryu and Enryu, and later Volfogg and Fuuryu and Rairyu go through, it's actually an excellent analysis of AI.

• Locked thread