Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Unofficial ADTRW Simulwatchathon XV: Shut Up, Clawshrimpy (Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, King of Braves GaoGaiGar)
By simulwatch you of course mean watching the two series at the same time, right? I'd enjoy GaoGurrenGar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Silento posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Like, really, I hope it is, but people in this thread have said you have a history of comments like this. The Matrix is an action movie. People watch it for the action/special effects.

The sequels, yes.

Not the first movie, nor the better parts of Animatrix, like "The Second Renessance."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Clawshrimpy posted:

It's completely pointless to watch it for action. Yo'd be missing the point of how engaging it is as a science-fiction piece about the ralationship between mankind and artificial intelligence.

It'd be the equivalent of watching The Matrix for explosions, or playing Deus Ex just to shoot guys.

I watch the Matrix for the gunplay and kung-fu action, not explosions. And I play Deus Ex to shoot dudes and read emails. That is literally what it's for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

By doing this and skipping so many episodes, you would be missing key parts of Mamoru and Guy's character evolution. And about some of the Huan/AI angles by missing part of HyoRyu and ENryu's development.

I don't see what the point of cutting that out would be?

Hyoryu and Enryu's development in those early episodes is literally that they have trouble working together because they don't like each other but then they learn about the ~power of friendship~ and work together to defeat the monster of the week. This ain't even a spoiler because the way it's handled is shonen cliche as heck to the point of predictability.

I mean if someone doesn't mind the MOTW format then yeah it's fine to go ahead and watch that. For people that can't stand MOTW but want to see what the deal with GGG is, however? That's the better way to go.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

paragon1 posted:

I watch the Matrix for the gunplay and kung-fu action, not explosions. And I play Deus Ex to shoot dudes and read emails. That is literally what it's for.

So, it's not good to actually watch anything for anything reselbing a good story or a good science-fiction piece?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clawshrimpy posted:

So, it's not good to actually watch anything for anything reselbing a good story or a good science-fiction piece?

"We put humans into a virtual reality simulation so we could use them to power things, like a battery!"

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Hyoryu and Enryu's development in those early episodes is literally that they have trouble working together because they don't like each other but then they learn about the ~power of friendship~ and work together to defeat the monster of the week. This ain't even a spoiler because the way it's handled is shonen cliche as heck to the point of predictability.

I mean if someone doesn't mind the MOTW format then yeah it's fine to go ahead and watch that. For people that can't stand MOTW but want to see what the deal with GGG is, however? That's the better way to go.

No, it's AIs having to learn about Human concepts, and Enryu does this by being inspired by Mamoru's struggle with his powers, and Hyoryu still analyzing things like a computer. The way it ties into Mamoru's character evolution is so seamless and amazing that it's great.

But it's more than MOTW if you pay attention to the dialogue scenes, which is where the meat of what makes GGG great is.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It would help if you started giving examples that actually had those qualities.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Actually, it's about robots.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Paper Lion posted:

And I thought Zorak's interpretation of TTGL and his revisionist reasons for hating it were insane, but this takes a cake.

Does anyone have a link to this? I'm curious.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

It would help if you started giving examples that actually had those qualities.

Pretty much this entire scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hDMAX89GbFM&t=463

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

KoldPT posted:

By simulwatch you of course mean watching the two series at the same time, right? I'd enjoy GaoGurrenGar.

Simon and Guy defeat the Anti-Spiral and Palparepa, but Guy disintegrates right after he and Simon get married. :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

The sequels, yes.

Not the first movie, nor the better parts of Animatrix, like "The Second Renessance."

No, The Matrix is an action movie. It has philosophical elements (that are really ham-handed and lovely) but it's still an action movie about dudes doing sweet kung fu and gunfights.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Clawshrimpy posted:

By doing this and skipping so many episodes, you would be missing key parts of Mamoru and Guy's character evolution. And about some of the Huan/AI angles by missing part of HyoRyu and ENryu's development.

I don't see what the point of cutting that out would be?

Guy and Mamoru are not characters. Guy is The Platonic Ideal of Heroism and Mamoru is a walking McGuffin.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Dickeye posted:

No, The Matrix is an action movie. It has philosophical elements (that are really ham-handed and lovely) but it's still an action movie about dudes doing sweet kung fu and gunfights.

But it's a bad action movie and the main thing that made it good were those philisophical elements. the best thing about the Matrix came out of The Animatrix, in particular "The Second Renessance."

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Clawshrimpy posted:

But it's a bad action movie and the main thing that made it good were those philisophical elements. the best thing about the Matrix came out of The Animatrix, in particular "The Second Renessance."

Hahaha

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I was talking about you using The Matrix and Deus Ex as examples.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

wateyad posted:

Guy and Mamoru are not characters. Guy is The Platonic Ideal of Heroism and Mamoru is a walking McGuffin.

No they are not, Mamoru is a better character study/coming of age type of character than Simon could ever hope to be, a detailed look at someone trying to fit in somewhere he wasn't born, and having to deal witht he truth and his liife being a farce.

Guy's story is a lot like that of Hongo from Kamen Rider, someone who ended up in a different living situation due to a disaster, and has to use his cybernetics for good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

The philosophical elements are the equivalent of your freshman year roommate getting super stoned and discussing his 101 course with you. "Man what if like...reality? What if reality isn't real? How od you know what's real????"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSG671u2IQ

And just sort through zorak's posts in the original TTGL thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2407916&pagenumber=1 (you need archives) and you will see how the ending to TTGL suddenly makes him flip flop on whether the show is good or not along with his interpretation of the entire theme of the show. But I digress.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

No they are not, Mamoru is a better character study/coming of age type of character than Simon could ever hope to be, a detailed look at someone trying to fit in somewhere he wasn't born, and having to deal witht he truth and his liife being a farce.

Guy's story is a lot like that of Hongo from Kamen Rider, someone who ended up in a different living situation due to a disaster, and has to use his cybernetics for good.

Except mamoru has no loving difficulty at all fitting in. Everyone loves him. He looks completely human and him being an alien doesn't affect him in the slightiest. He never really goes "oh man I'm a freaky alien". Where the gently caress does he struggle with this at all? You can't wimp out and say "Well offscreen this could happen"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Mamoru never faces any hardship for being an alien. The only people that don't unconditionally love him turn out to be villains. It's like Superman. He might be an alien but he was raised as a normal human by loving parents. Everyone he reveals his secret to is fine with it. His friends, 3G, etc.

I like Guy but he is one-dimensional as heck. Any downsides to being a cyborg are just throwaway lines they never elaborate on, and he's perfectly happy with his current living situation of piloting a giant robot to save the day. They even tease a few things with Heaven and Hell killing him, but they don't go anywhere interesting with it. It all amounts to being an excuse to give him a new weapon to finish foes off with

e:

Clawshrimpy posted:

Just finding out your parents were lying to you and you aren't like the other children is a pretty traumatic thing to go through, and then having to say "I'm going to have to leave to find/rebuild my new home." at the end is pretty drat moving.

Mamoru is never upset about that in the show. This is a work of fiction, so you can't just say "oh well maybe Mamoru suffered offscreen". If it was important, they would show or at the very least allude to it. But they don't.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 14, 2013

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Monaghan posted:

Except mamoru has no loving difficulty at all fitting in. Everyone loves him. He looks completely human and him being an alien doesn't affect him in the slightiest. He never really goes "oh man I'm a freaky alien". Where the gently caress does he struggle with this at all? You can't wimp out and say "Well offscreen this could happen"

Just finding out your parents were lying to you and you aren't like the other children is a pretty traumatic thing to go through, and then having to say "I'm going to have to leave to find/rebuild my homeland." at the end is pretty drat moving.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Mamoru never faces any hardship for being an alien. The only people that don't unconditionally love him turn out to be villains. It's like Superman. He might be an alien but he was raised as a normal human by loving parents. Everyone he reveals his secret to is fine with it. His friends, 3G, etc.

I like Guy but he is one-dimensional as heck. Any downsides to being a cyborg are just throwaway lines they never elaborate on, and he's perfectly happy with his current living situation of piloting a giant robot to save the day.

The downsides is Guy and Mikoto could never pursue their relationship, and that certain things like using Hell and Heaven and staying fused to Galeon was killing him via his cybernetics were made crystal clear by the show.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

I like Guy but he is one-dimensional as heck. Any downsides to being a cyborg are just throwaway lines they never elaborate on, and he's perfectly happy with his current living situation of piloting a giant robot to save the day. They even tease a few things with Heaven and Hell killing him, but they don't go anywhere interesting with it. It all amounts to being an excuse to give him a new weapon to finish foes off with

e:

Mamoru is never upset about that in the show. This is a work of fiction, so you can't just say "oh well maybe Mamoru suffered offscreen". If it was important, they would show or at the very least allude to it. But they don't.

Mamoru is upset about it during the show. He spent the entire episode when Hana figured it out upset about it until his parents talk to him.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh look over 100 new posts in the Super Robot thread maybe something cool got announced... :suicide:

Please someone make it stop.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ActionZero posted:

This man is right. Let's take a step back to remember what Super Robots are really about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

This man is right. Let's take a step back to remember what Super Robots are really about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys

Shin Mazinger is just as bad if not arguably worse than TTGL.

Mostly because Imagwa is physically incapable with writing conclusive endings

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ActionZero posted:

Oh look over 100 new posts in the Super Robot thread maybe something cool got announced... :suicide:

Why?

Clawshrimpy your opinions are dumb and wrong and you should feel bad about that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Tetsujin-28.

Also inconclusive endings aren't inherently bad (and conclusive endings aren't inherently good either).

e: VVV I, too, have been bored today.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

G-gundam's ending was awesome and conclusive.

also why do I keep responding to you, I guess I'm just really bored at work today.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish citing those two was enough to make him stop claiming that, I really do.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Clawshrimpy posted:

Unspoilered because go gently caress yourself. That is how Mazinger Z actually ends: a threat greater than anybody imagined shows up to wreck house (and specifically Mazinger Z), but then Great Mazinger appears to continue the fight, having been a contingency plan for quite some time - this is directly nodded at in the show itself. This isn't "Imagawa is a hack who can't write," this is the god drat story that has been around for forty years now. It's the buildup to Great Mazinger's chapter in the overarching tale.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Justin_Brett posted:

I wish citing those two was enough to make him stop claiming that, I really do.

Since both Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger had nonsense cliffhangers I just kind of assume all his work are like that. Getter Robo Armageddon also had a nonsense cliffhanger, but I think Imagawa only did one episode or so there.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Shaezerus posted:

Unspoilered because go gently caress yourself. That is how Mazinger Z actually ends: a threat greater than anybody imagined shows up to wreck house (and specifically Mazinger Z), but then Great Mazinger appears to continue the fight, having been a contingency plan for quite some time - this is directly nodded at in the show itself. This isn't "Imagawa is a hack who can't write," this is the god drat story that has been around for forty years now. It's the buildup to Great Mazinger's chapter in the overarching tale.

If Imagawa wasn't a hack he would've corrected Nagai's flaw by giving it a good ending.

Nagai couldn't write either. He ended his manga on cliffhangers just to be a jackass.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 14, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Super Clawshrimpy Thread Z: FINAL FUSION! APPROVED!

There is literally nothing to be gained from responding to this guy. All it does is turn the thread into an engine for inane, repetitive white noise.

...So, huh, who do you think would win in a fight between Big O and Gundam Wing, everyone?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Fred is on posted:

...So, huh, who do you think would win in a fight between Big O and Gundam Wing?

Gundam wing, noone can kill him no matter how hard the pilot wants to be killed :(

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Clever Spambot posted:

Gundam wing, noone can kill him no matter how hard the pilot wants to be killed :(

This makes Heero sound like Chirico for a new age and the concept of that confuses and terrifies me.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Fred is on posted:

...So, huh, who do you think would win in a fight between Big O and Gundam Wing, everyone?

Ends with Heero self-destructing his Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Fred is on posted:

Big O, because the way these series are written Heero and Roger Smith would meet in person like halfway into it, and Heero would have to run for his Gundam while Roger would be all "BIG O, IT'S SHOWTIME" and then Heero would get stepped on. :smugbert:

• Locked thread